Barnes To The Clippers

Re: Matt To The Heat, Clippers Or Mavericks? (Pg. 5)

Postby Center Court on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:52 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Center Court wrote:I'd stil rather have Barnes over Ebanks until he can prove he deserves the 14-18 mins he's going to be getting. I think have one more year with Barnes and find Ebanks more minimal mins, then I think next year he'd be ready for full time backup mins.

So when exactly does Ebanks prove he deserves minutes when in 3 years all you've given him is minimal time?

IF he can get a consistent 8-12 mpg this year behind Artest/Barnes and Kobe/Meeks then I'd say we have a much better gauge on what he can do and how consistently he can do it.
Center Court

Re: Barnes To The Heat, Clippers Or Mavericks? (Pg. 5)

Postby ThizGuy83 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:57 pm

i have no problem with barnes goin to the clippers... gonna be interesting how there gonna share the minutes though... and i think after 2 seasons... its time for ebanks to be the primary back up...
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:57 pm

Center Court wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Center Court wrote:I'd stil rather have Barnes over Ebanks until he can prove he deserves the 14-18 mins he's going to be getting. I think have one more year with Barnes and find Ebanks more minimal mins, then I think next year he'd be ready for full time backup mins.

So when exactly does Ebanks prove he deserves minutes when in 3 years all you've given him is minimal time?

IF he can get a consistent 8-12 mpg this year behind Artest/Barnes and Kobe/Meeks then I'd say we have a much better gauge on what he can do and how consistently he can do it.

Show me your rotation then because I don't think there's nearly enough minutes for what you're proposing.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:47 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Center Court wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Show me your rotation then because I don't think there's nearly enough minutes for what you're proposing.

meh putting it down on paper definitely looks tight. I've said other places in this thread that if we want to find out if Ebanks can really be something, now is his chance. I'm hopeful that he can contribute effectively as a backup sf: good midrange game, great defender, young, energy, movement.

BUT on the other hand, this is a ring or bust season. Well, every year is here in LA, but especially this year. I guess I'm really just hoping that our backup SF rotation does not end up our achillies heel because Devin cant sustain regular mins against Bron, Melo, KD, Pierce, Gay, etc. Especially come playoff time. Barnes is a proved commodity. For all his weaknesses, he sure as hell plays hard and makes things happen just by his approach to the game.

In a season like last year where we really knew a title was not all that likely, it was a perfect season to see what he's got. I suppose having Jamison is a security blanket because he can slide down and if all else fails, more mins for Ron and Kobe can slide up. Maybe I just really like Barnes in your face style of basketball.

I suppose, that Ebanks is far from our weakest link on the bench... that title goes to Mr. Steve Blake.

But Miami has no place for him behind Bron/Allen/Miller and Clippers have Hill and Butler. It looks like in terms of fit, Boston and Dallas make the most sense.
Center Court

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:09 am

Looks like he wants to stay in LA:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/223490/Matt_Barnes_Agrees_To_Deal_With_Clippers

RealGM wrote:Matt Barnes has agreed upon a deal with the Los Angeles Clippers.

Barnes spent the past two seasons with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Barnes had been recruited to the Clippers by Chauncey Billups, Blake Griffin and Chris Paul.

Barnes also received interest from the Miami Heat
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby LakerFanIam on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:37 am

lakerfan2 wrote:Looks like he wants to stay in LA:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/223490/Matt_Barnes_Agrees_To_Deal_With_Clippers

RealGM wrote:Matt Barnes has agreed upon a deal with the Los Angeles Clippers.

Barnes spent the past two seasons with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Barnes had been recruited to the Clippers by Chauncey Billups, Blake Griffin and Chris Paul.

Barnes also received interest from the Miami Heat

Wow.. Barnes should really help them get to the next level in the Playoffs... Oh Wait. Nevermind.
LakerFanIam

Postby Center Court on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:00 am

Clippers have easily the deepest team

Jordan/Turiaf/Hollins
Griffin/Odom
Buter/Hill/Barnes
Billups/Crawford
CP3/Bledsoe

said it before, but how many mins does Matt think he is getting there? The way I see it, no more than 6-8.
Center Court

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:14 am

Center Court wrote:Clippers have easily the deepest team

Jordan/Turiaf/Hollins
Griffin/Odom
Buter/Hill/Barnes
Billups/Crawford
CP3/Bledsoe

said it before, but how many mins does Matt think he is getting there? The way I see it, no more than 6-8.

They're deep, but other than CP3, none of those guys are going to dominate games. Blake the Bernstein Bear will have his usual offensive foul dunks, but meh, I like our 8-9 man rotation better.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:20 am

I don't see why some people here getting on Matt Barnes here and talking all this crap about him.
Kobe8Fan

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:29 am

No longer a Laker, moving to NBA Discussion.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:38 am

Good for Barnes. I liked the guy as a scrappy, hustle player personally, and especially considering for what he was being paid. If he's one of your best guys off the bench then you're team's probably in some trouble, but that's not really his fault. Too bad he couldn't stay healthy and contribute come playoff time.

Dont see him getting many minutes with the toe nail Clippers though.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:49 am

I'll miss Barnes as a player, one of my favs during his short stint here. His motor and hustle were unquestionable and it was disgusting to watch players with infinitely more talent (i.e. Drew and Gasol) go out there and half a** it at times while Matty B. was busy going all out with whatever he had. If our best players played with Barnes' intensity 24/7 we could have easily gone to the Finals and dominated these past two years.

Regarding his penchant for disappearing during the playoffs, I'm one of the few who'll give Barnes a pass given that he always managed to injure himself just prior to the start of the postseason. It was truly unfortunate that he got hurt when he did last season because the man was ballin' out just prior to the start of the playoffs.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby The Rock on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:30 am

Clippers have a nice bench

Bledsoe, Jamal Crawford, Matt Barnes, Grant Hill, Lamar Odom

They get better in SG/SF defense with Barnes and Hill but they got worse when it came to 3 point shooting (lost Foye, Young, Mo Williams). No decent backup Cs either...Ryan Hollins and Turiaf are meh

As for Barnes, love the hustle and energy he brings, its useful early and in midseason but later in the year everybody is hustling, playing hard and thats where he gets exposed because he plays a skill position for 20-25 mins a game and he can't pass, shoot, finish well.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby 24K GOLD on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:09 pm

I don't miss his playoff contributions. Wait, were there any?
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:34 pm

At least go to a team that I could cheer for you on. C'mon man (Ditka voice).
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby bystander on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:32 pm

Wish him good, even if he's on the Clippers. It's the Clippers, no worries there.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby 432J on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:33 pm

damn i didn't realize how deep their team is

i never really warmed up to matt, so good riddance.
432J

Postby XXIV on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:22 pm

Their team is really deep, but a lot of their success will depend on the improvement of DJ and Blake.
XXIV

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:59 pm

XXIV wrote:Their team is really deep, but a lot of their success will depend on the improvement of DJ and Blake.

This. All of their depth is really overrated if their starters aren't very good.

I think even more than the development of Griffin and Jordan, health will be the determining factor of their team. Paul has missed serious time every other season since he's been in the league and his knees are known to be a problem. Griffin is actually more prone to injury than people think about. Billups is recovering from a ruptured Achilles tendon; an injury that has ended almost every career it's come in contact with and is almost impossible to be fully healed. Caron Butler has NEVER played a full season. Grant Hill is a tender 40 years old, so his minutes will have to be limited. Matt Barnes and Jamal Crawford aren't exactly iron men. Even Bledsoe missed a lot of time last season.

Not saying they're not talented, or that past injuries represent future injuries, but just like our team injuries will be a big concern for them.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby purp n gold on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:22 pm

Kobe8Fan wrote:I don't see why some people here getting on Matt Barnes here and talking all this crap about him.

Personally I find Barnes a frustrating player to root for. Don't get me wrong, he seems like a nice guy in interviews. His hustle and mean streak are great for a team as well. But when we needed him most in big games/playoffs he was a ghost. Just too inconstent for my liking.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby JSM on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:24 am

He must have wanted to stay in LA, that's the only reason he'd sign there. He will get a lot of DNPs this season.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Barnes To The Clippers

Postby JSM on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:18 am

Ben Bolch of the LA Times wrote:Chris Paul recruited Matt Barnes. Blake Griffin forgave him.

And with that confluence of events, the former Lakers small forward officially became a Clipper on Friday, signing a one-year contract for the veteran’s minimum of about $1.2 million.

Barnes was already in enemy territory a few weeks ago when he worked out with Paul at the Clippers’ training facility.

“Chris Paul was talking about how tough we were going to be next year, assuming I was a Laker,” Barnes said in a telephone interview. “I told him I was a free agent and he said, ‘No, you’re about to be a Clipper.' "

Barnes said the All-Star point guard pitched signing Barnes to Clippers management, though there was one potential hang-up: Barnes had shoved Griffin to the floor during a preseason game last December, earning a flagrant foul.

So before agreeing to acquire the nine-year veteran, Barnes said, the Clippers checked with Griffin to receive his blessing. Barnes said he also spoke with Griffin on Thursday.

"I just kind of explained to him that it was no disrespect to him or his game," Barnes said. "I think he’s one of the best players in the league and arguably the most athletic player. I play basketball hard-nosed and if you’re not on my team, during that 48 minutes we’re enemies. He appreciated it and understood where I was coming from."

Barnes, 32, acknowledged that his first choice would have been to re-sign with the Lakers but realized that was not a realistic possibility after his production plummeted in the playoffs and he was arrested in July for allegedly threatening a police officer. Barnes said he couldn’t address his legal situation.

"It was a waterfall of bad things happening in the summer,” Barnes said, “so I was happy to have an opportunity to play with another team."

The 6-foot-7 Barnes called the Clippers "probably the deepest team in the NBA," and they are particularly stocked at his position with Caron Butler, Grant Hill and Travis Leslie. But Barnes said Coach Vinny Del Negro told him he would have an opportunity to compete for playing time.

Lakers fans have already labeled Barnes as a traitor on electronic media.

"I’ve been getting a lot of hate tweets, crossing over and trading" teams, Barnes said. "But people have to understand this is a business and teams and players have to do what they have to do. I wish the Lakers nothing but luck. I still have friends over there. When we’re on the court, they’re the enemy now."

At least he acknowledged he sucked in the playoffs and knew we probably wanted to go another direction.

I do find it hilarious that management has to check with Griffin before signing him. Are they going to check with everyone that fake thug has had a run in with before signing them? Cause that's a pretty long list of players who have gotten into it with him or have a problem with him and it is growing substantially longer each season.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:29 am

Well at least he knows why he wasn't asked to come back in the same role he had before. I'm guessing the Lakers told him you can come back if you'd like, but you'll be our 3rd stringer not our 6th man. I doubt he wanted to do that.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby ben_ready on Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:38 pm

When billups comes back he's out of the rotation period unless someone is injured!
People are forgetting about Willie green to
The clips are deep but everyone can't play,Barnes would have been better off 3rd string SF on our bench cause he's not taking grant hill or butler mins or Chauncey or Crawford or green yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Previous

Return to NBA Discussion