Best Road Teams....Will it Matter in the Playoffs?

Best Road Teams....Will it Matter in the Playoffs?

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:51 am

With about 25% of the regular season left, I think it's time to start looking at some playoff predictions.

Here are the top 3 road teams in each conference, with their respective road performances:

Eastern Conference

Miami Heat: 16-11; 59.2%

Chicago Bulls: 17-11; 60.7%

NY/ATL/BKN: 13-12/14-13/13-12; ~51-52%

Western Conference

San Antonio Spurs: 23-11; 67.6%

OKC Thunder: 16-11; 59.2%

LA Cripples: 18-12; 60%
Last edited by Chillbongo on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chillbongo

Re: Elite Teams on the Road -- Looking Towards Playoffs

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:52 am

East:

There is too much volatility in the East, so it's hard to put a finger on the outcomes. However, in looking at potential match-ups and trends, we can come up with some conclusions.The Heat's road record will be fine. They undoubtedly have secured home court through the conference Finals. Depending on how the West turns out, they could even have it in the Finals.

Chicago poses an interesting scenario. 3-0 vs the Knicks this season and well coached with Thibs. If the season ended today would face the Knicks in the 1st round. A Stern-nixing aside, their superior road record could propel them into the second round.

Indiana has largely emerged as the potential suitor to dismantle the Heat from their throne. However, their putrid road record does little to put Pacer fans to sleep at night.

If New York does emerge into the second round, the match up with Chicago/Indiana could be interesting. Interestingly enough, New York picked up 12 of their 20 losses against current playoff teams -- 9 of which were Eastern Conference teams.

I see Brooklyn falling from the 5th seed with 16/25 remaining games on the road. This could shake up the entire Eastern Conference, as the Knicks would easily knock out the Nets.

Advance to second round: Miami, Chicago, New York, Indiana (it's like the 90's glory days all over again)

West:

The west is much more boring. The Spurs will finish as the number one seed, the remaining 17/24 games played in the AT&T center only ensuring it (22-2 at home). To make things interesting, I will have them facing an 8th seed Lakers. Spurs in 5.

The Thunder will face the 7th seed Rockets in a James Harden vs the World series (the west isn't that boring, after all). Harden will play his butt off, but inexperience and a poor road record will cost the Rockets. The Thunder take it in AT MOST 6 games.

The Clippers will face the Warriors in an epic point guard duel. This one is interesting for two reasons. 1) The former laughing stocks of the conference will put on quite the entertaining first round series and 2) At first glance, these two teams match up real, real evenly, if the Warriors are healthy. Curry vs Paul? Lee vs Griffin? It's hard to win up in the Bay, but regardless, the Clippers depth will make a difference come playoff time. Clippers in 6.

Memphis vs Denver. Denver can't win on the road. Memphis is elite versus the West. Come playoff time, the pace slows down, this clearly favors Memphis. However, George Carl is a seasoned, veteran, savvy coach. If the Nuggets can take one in Memphis, this series becomes real interesting. Not sure how the whole Rudy Gay situation will play out for the Grizz come playoffs. I anticipate Denver taking one on the road, and it coming down to a game 7 in Memphis.
Chillbongo

Re: Best Road Teams....Will it Matter in the Playoffs?

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:02 pm

No predictions? So I take it we are all just assuming the Heat are going to win again, after which LeBron will be announced as the GOAT.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:07 pm

East:
Heat
West:
Thunder

Winner:
Heat

That's what I've got right now.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:46 pm

i've got the heat winning again
432J

Postby gcclaker on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:50 pm

West: San Antonio
East: Miami

NBA Champion: Miami
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby dj vitus on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:44 pm

Chillbongo wrote:No predictions? So I take it we are all just assuming the Heat are going to win again, after which LeBron will be announced as the GOAT.

Not 1, not 2, not 3...
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Finwë on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:29 pm

gcclaker wrote:West: San Antonio
East: Miami

NBA Champion: Miami

I too thought of a SAS vs MIA finals, but I have SAS winning it
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby ramsay13 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Hopefully a West finals that includes LAL v LAC.. would be fun...
Then LAvMIA
LA winning.
ramsay13

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:35 am

It's funny about SAS isn't it? They seem to dominate the regular season with a great record and they just flop in the playoffs. I guess that's why Vegas odds have them as the 4th favorite to win it even though they have the best record. I'm just not sold on them either. I don't think they can handle Miami or OKC's athleticism.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:28 pm

SAS is a weird team. Last year they saved their old 3 for the playoffs, but the rookie role players disappeared predictably in a tough series. This year, i predict that the role players will do a little better than last year, but the old 3 are older, so i bet the team will do about as well as last year.

The Thunder are not as dangerous without Harden, so i can see a memphis or clipp team taking them out. Especially with Chris paul, who can get hot in a series and just about win it on his own. To me, the Clipps are the most dangerous team in the playoffs. They might go to the finals.

The east is still the Heat's to lose. The only team that can challenge them is indiana, but hibbert would have to have a monster series, and I don't think he's ready for that. The Knicks would also have to have a monster series to beat them, and that means Melo would have to play bigger than Lebron for the whole series. not gonna happen.

unfortunately, I see the Heat winning again. LeBron and Wade are still the best 1 - 2 in the league. Kobe and Paul are the most dangerous individual players on their respective teams, but it takes a big 1-2 to win it all, with some veteran role players who can step up in a big game 5 or game 7. Too bad we don't have Paul...
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:55 pm

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:SAS is a weird team.

Yeah, so weird. With their coach, veteran experience, and savvy, you'd think the opposite. Maybe they'll get some rest for all their guys. I really wouldn't mind seeing the Spurs win the west, let a lone the chip. Of course, Miami would win it in a much more entertaining way.

V.V.V.V.V. wrote: Especially with Chris paul, who can get hot in a series and just about win it on his own. To me, the Clipps are the most dangerous team in the playoffs. They might go to the finals.

unfortunately, I see the Heat winning again. LeBron and Wade are still the best 1 - 2 in the league. Kobe and Paul are the most dangerous individual players on their respective teams, but it takes a big 1-2 to win it all, with some veteran role players who can step up in a big game 5 or game 7. Too bad we don't have Paul...

Ugh...I hope the Clippers don't make it to the Finals. It will just make Laker haters that much more appeased. Whatever, that's what happens when you get Chris Paul and solid role players.

On that note, BG isn't quite a championship-ready #2...I still think they don't make it out of the east, but they could very well be in the WCF.

The Heat have a 1-2 punch, rebounders and the best possible role players and bench players in the NBA.

Let's not forget when LBJ/Wade got shut down in the stretch last year, Chalmers/Battier were hitting clutch baskets.
Chillbongo

Postby karacha on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:56 pm

I would like to see Memphis winning it all, and if healthy... I think they have the talent to do it.

But, that is wishful thinking. What is probably going to happen is the rematch of the last year's finals, with the Heat winning it again. In case the Spurs somehow advance to the finals (and I don't think they will) -- the Heat will still win it. Bummer.

Epic prediction with 0.1% chance to happen: the Lakers somehow reach the finals after some grueling battles in the West (and Gasol coming back) -- and beating NY in the finals. Wouldn't that be something? Pure fantasy, though.

You know which team might be the dark horse if everyone is healthy? The Clippers. Ugh. You know Paul will elevate his game, and they might get some help from the refs too. Have to market that Paul/Griffin duo.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:22 pm

Yep, I think the dark horse is the Clipps, but like many of you I'm not happy about it. Sour grapes especially after what could have been in Lakerland.

As for Miami, the only chance anyone has of dethroning them is if they get homecourt over Miami. Then the role players of Miami will disappear on the road.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Return to NBA Discussion