Blazers Reject Trade Of LaMarcus Aldridge For # 1 & 19 Picks

Blazers Reject Trade Of LaMarcus Aldridge For # 1 & 19 Picks

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:27 pm

Cavaliers Interested In Trading For LaMarcus Aldridge

The Cleveland Cavaliers have held internal discussions of pursuing a trade with the Portland Trail Blazers for LaMarcus Aldridge, according to sources.

The Cavaliers have enough assets in the form of young players and picks to acquire a player of Aldridge's caliber, but the front office is said to value Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters higher than the rest of the NBA.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--caval ... 43252.html
Last edited by Kobe8Fan on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kobe8Fan

Re: Cavaliers Interested In Trading For LaMarcus Aldridge

Postby abeer3 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:53 am

yes, i'm sure a few teams might be interested in aldridge. and i'm guessing he goes for more than thompson, waiters, and whatever else cleveland's selling.
abeer3

Blazers Reject Trade Of LaMarcus Aldridge For #1, #19

Postby juninho on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:38 am

Blazers Reject Trade Of LaMarcus Aldridge For Nos. 1, 19 Picks
The Cleveland Cavaliers reached out to the Portland Trail Blazers and offered their Nos. 1 and 19 picks in the NBA draft for LaMarcus Aldridge, according to sources. The Blazers rejected the proposed trade. The Cavaliers have reportedly narrowed their list of candidates for the top pick.
juninho

Re: Blazers Reject Trade Of LaMarcus Aldridge For #1, #19

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:42 am

wow.... The Cavs swung hard didn't they? I'd love LA in LA
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:47 am

I would part with LaMarcus. They (Portland) have a good core; Lilliard Batum, Matthews, and LA. Their a young team on the rise...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:33 am

Wow. I'm impressed actually with the offer there on the Cavs' part. Takes some balls to ask for something like that.

I think Aldridge is out of reach for this first pick. I'm not sure what they're looking for with that pick though... A veteran big man? They've got Tristan Thompson who took a big step forward last season.

If they want a veteran big, we've got Pau. :man1:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:36 am

If they rejected that it's because you're not getting a better player than Aldridge in this draft, even at #1.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:52 am

If Cleveland, a rebuilding team if I've ever seen one, doesn't want the number one pick then they don't believe that Nerlens is a piece to build around apparently.

Good.

That means the Lakers should be able to find a serviceable player somewhere in this draft if they want by moving some of their veterans. This draft isn't built for crappy teams, it's built for teams like us who want youth that can contribute a little bit right now.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Blazers Reject Trade Of LaMarcus Aldridge For No. 1 and 19 P

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:34 am

Blazers Reject Trade Of LaMarcus Aldridge For No. 1 and 19 Picks

The Cleveland Cavaliers reached out to the Portland Trail Blazers and offered their Nos. 1 and 19 picks in the NBA draft for LaMarcus Aldridge, according to sources.

The Blazers rejected the proposed trade.

The Cavaliers have reportedly narrowed their list of candidates for the top pick.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_ ... ding-draft
Kobe8Fan

Re: Blazers Reject Trade Of LaMarcus Aldridge For # 1 & 19 Picks

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:32 pm

lol. #1 pick in weakest draft in a long time (in which there's not a clear #1 I might add) and a mid first rounder for a guy who's that team's franchise player, who's still relatively young, and is still under contract for two more years?

nice try.
abeer3

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:41 pm

You think Dan is gonna complain to Stern that no one wants to trade fair?
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

LaMarcus Aldridge Wants Trade From Blazers

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:36 am

LaMarcus Aldridge Wants Trade From Blazers, Deems Portland Too Small

By Jason Quick, The Oregonian

Throughout this summer, there have been rumors the Trail Blazers might trade LaMarcus Aldridge, and I’m not the least bit surprised.

Not that I believe general manager Neil Olshey is looking to move the star power forward. But I believe Aldridge wants out.

Will it result in a trade during Thursday’s NBA Draft?

I doubt it, unless it includes Portland getting either Atlanta’s Al Horford, New Orleans’ Anthony Davis, New Jersey’s Brook Lopez, or the Clippers’ Blake Griffin.

See, Aldridge wants to end his seven-year run with the Blazers because he thinks Portland is too small. Too boring.

But Olshey is not in the business to make players happy. He is in the business of making the Blazers better. And if there has been one consistent with Aldridge throughout his seven years in Portland, it’s that he puts up somewhere around 21 points and 8 rebounds a game whether he is happy, unhappy or indifferent to what direction the Blazers are headed.

Still, it is an interesting proposition for Olshey as he embarks on his second summer of reshaping the franchise. Aldridge has two years remaining on his contract in Portland. He has no leverage to demand a trade right now. But he will after this season, when he can enter his final season in Portland with a threat to walk into free agency, leaving the Blazers with nothing in return, except for some salary cap relief.

So it might be wise for Olshey to shop Aldridge and see what he could net in return. If it’s not a Horford, or a Davis, then play on. Get another All-Star caliber season out of Aldridge.

With the arrival of today’s draft, I have no idea if Olshey will deal Aldridge. But I am convinced Aldridge would not only welcome a trade, but is hoping for a trade. Had that feeling since the last week of the 2012-2013 season.

The day before the end of the 2012-2013 season, before a game at the Clippers in Los Angeles, some third-hand knowledge had been passed down to me on my way to the arena: Aldridge was unhappy in Portland and wanted out. So I cornered the Trail Blazers star outside the locker room, before the game, and asked how he felt about Portland.

“What do you mean, feel?’’ Aldridge asked warily.

“How do you feel about the city, the team?’’

“I’m fine,’’ he said shortly.

I told him he didn’t sound very convincing.

“I’m fine,’’ he repeated. “I had one season that was tough, it’s a building year and right now, I’m not going to get into it. This season was better than we thought it would be, it ended rough, but I haven’t gotten into that mindset of evaluating things.’’

I asked him what he meant when he said he ‘wasn’t going to get into it.’

“I mean, I’m fine. I know a lot of questions are about to come up about my happiness and this and that, but I’m fine. We had a tough season and now we just have to wait until the summertime and see what the next step is.’’

As we leaned against a wall, and other players walked in and out of the locker room, I asked Aldridge if he had asked to be traded or anything along those lines.

“No,’’ he said. “We haven’t talked about that.’’

Do you want to be moved?

“I’m fine. Like I said, it was a tough season, but I’m not trying to jump ship. We will sit down and we will talk about who we are going to bring in, and what things will happen and we will go from there.’’

We went back and forth. I told him it had been relayed to me that he didn’t re-up with any of his Portland sponsorships and deals, agreements that in the past included Cadillac, Chevy, and Providence Hospital. And that it had been relayed to me that he was asking to get out of a lease on his Pearl District condo.

It had the appearance that Aldridge was putting his affairs in order. Preparing for a clean break from Portland and the Blazers.

He said it was correct that he didn’t sign any sponsorship deals this winter, but that had nothing to do with his desire to stay in Portland.

“I just didn’t want to do anything this year,’’ Aldridge said. “Being in Portland for seven years, I have done everything I can do, so I’m just waiting it out to see if there is anything I like. I’ve done car deals, all types of stuff. So I’m just chillin.’’’

He said he was looking to cancel his condo in the Pearl because he used it for his family when they visit him during the season. He didn’t see a reason to keep it during the summer.

“People are going to read into whatever I do,’’ Aldridge said.

He said he would reserve any declarations until he meet with Olshey after the season, and then he would gauge where he stood with the Blazers.

“That’s the plan,’’ Aldridge said.

If he didn’t like what he heard from the GM?

“I will cross that bridge when we get there. I can’t do what-ifs. Right now, he is telling me he is going to bring guys in over the summer, so we will talk about it and go from there. If we are not on the same page, we will figure it out.’’

After the game, I approached Aldridge again, this time in the locker room. I asked more questions about his past sponsorships and why he suddenly this year decided not to renew any of them. And since our pregame talk, I had received more information, again through a third party: He was trying to put a clause into his lease that if he was traded, he wouldn’t have to pay penalties for breaking the lease early.

Aldridge was irritated.

“This is why I hate being in Portland,’’ he told me. “You can’t do anything.’’

The next night was the season finale in Portland, and I asked Olshey about Aldridge. Turns out, the two already had quite the face-to-face meeting about two weeks prior. Much was said. But on the record, Olshey would only give generalities.

“It’s the end of a long season,’’ Olshey said. “He hasn’t made any trade demands. But if there is one thing I can say, it’s I empathize with what LaMarcus is going through. This is the fourth genesis that he has lived through: From the Jail Blazers, to a youth movement, to a bunch of aging veterans, to this. It’s not easy for him.’’

How was Olshey going to handle Aldridge moving forward?

“Well, I’ll tell you this: I’m not going to be making any phone calls to move him,’’ Olshey said. “But if the phone rings and it makes the team better ...’’

He shrugged.

Today, we will find out if Olshey ever got that call.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index ... out_sports

You want a big market? Come to Los Angeles, LaMarcus. Everybody loves L.A.
Kobe8Fan

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:31 am

He'd be a nice fit next to Howard. There's not a chance we get him though.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:21 pm

therealdeal wrote:He'd be a nice fit next to Howard. There's not a chance we get him though.

I love LMA's game. Awesome player. Been one of my favorite PF's for a long time. Not sure he'd actually be such a great fit beside Howard though as he needs and wants the ball a lot. Honestly I think he'd be a better fit possibly with Gasol. If Howard bolts, I'd love to get him somehow down the line. Kind of my quintessential 4 although he's not the world's most intense rebounder. Great offense though.

I think Kevin Love would be a more ideal fit with Howard. He would space the floor so well with the corner and top of the key threes and he also lives off picking up the garbage so to speak with his offensive boards. He wouldn't really compete with Dwight for touches. LMA's so much about the mid-range. That's harder to integrate I think with Howard.
Lakerjones

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:02 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
therealdeal wrote:He'd be a nice fit next to Howard. There's not a chance we get him though.

I love LMA's game. Awesome player. Been one of my favorite PF's for a long time. Not sure he'd actually be such a great fit beside Howard though as he needs and wants the ball a lot. Honestly I think he'd be a better fit possibly with Gasol. If Howard bolts, I'd love to get him somehow down the line. Kind of my quintessential 4 although he's not the world's most intense rebounder. Great offense though.

I think Kevin Love would be a more ideal fit with Howard. He would space the floor so well with the corner and top of the key threes and he also lives off picking up the garbage so to speak with his offensive boards. He wouldn't really compete with Dwight for touches. LMA's so much about the mid-range. That's harder to integrate I think with Howard.

To be fair, I said "nice" not "good". :man12:

I think that LMA's ability to hit the mid-range shot right out to 16-17 feet is remarkable and could really mesh with Howard's need to crowd the paint. But like you said, he needs the ball in his hands a lot to be effective and I somehow doubt that would mean a perfect match with Dwight.

We've always agreed that Love would be absolute perfect fit for Howard down low. He's a voracious rebounder but has the ability to knock down outside shots. He has some flash and can move the ball when he needs to. Howard would have all the room in the world to operate down low and when that wasn't working perfectly, Love would be there to clean it up. I don't think they'd be a fast breaking team at all, but they'd be a nice half court offense between the two of them and a creator.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:44 pm

^^ Absolutely, realdeal. Would be pretty insane to match those two up (Howard and Love). That really would be ideal.
Lakerjones

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:41 am

Then you put some athletes who can shoot around the perimeter and I think you've got a fun team to watch. Depending on the other three positions, it might be a Championship team.

I think Rondo would work well too with those two. I don't know if it'd be perfect since Rondo can't shoot, but he's a gamer and he knows how to find people.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Congo Cash on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:48 am

2 picks on a sad draft for a guy who averaged 21/9/3, and they complain about unfair trades...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Return to NBA Discussion