Blockbuster trade is going down (Marbury to Knicks!)

Blockbuster trade is going down (Marbury to Knicks!)

Postby JSM on Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:08 am

Well it looks like Thomas is making his first BIG move, and is telling McDyess farewell.

Sportsline: Stephon Marbury would return to his hometown as part of a multiplayer trade tentatively agreed to Monday by the New York Knicks and Phoenix Suns, a source told the Associated Press.

The Knicks would acquire Marbury and Penny Hardaway from Phoenix for Antonio McDyess, Howard Eisley, Charlie Ward, the rights to Milos Vujanic and cash, according to the source, who is close to one of the players and spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity.

Another source, close to one of the teams, said there were additional players involved.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:13 am

anyone else besides me think that the Knicks got a steal. They traded McDyess who isn't doing so well this year, Ward, and Eisley to free up the point guard position for Marbury/Williams/Norris...wow :man4:

And they got one of the best scoring guards in the league. He is going to help them out a lot. And they got Penny, who was unhappy with the Suns for not playing him, to come off the bench.

The Knicks are going to start winning A LOT of games, and will definately make playoffs now (they are 10th in the east)
JSM

Postby JSM on Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:17 am

the Suns are going to be in a bad spot, they are losing their primary scorer and are going to have to rely on Marion & McDyess to win games for then, until they get Amare back. WHen they get him back, they will have a very strong front court, but will still miss Marbury.
JSM

Postby PiEdIe on Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:31 am

and i made it official... altho the deal niow had to be approved
PiEdIe

Postby JSM on Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:22 am

PiEdIe wrote:and i made it official... altho the deal niow had to be approved

then it's not official yet, not until the league approves it
JSM

Postby JSM on Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:39 am

it looks like there will be a couple more guys involved

ESPN: New York would acquire Marbury, Penny Hardaway, and Cezary Trybanski from Phoenix for Antonio McDyess, Howard Eisley, Charlie Ward, Maciej Lampe, the rights to Milos Vujanic, and cash.
JSM

Postby xxx on Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:02 pm

I like this trade for the Knicks, even though I think they gave up an awful lot in the process. But the Knicks needed this deal. They need a player like Marbury who can bring some excitement back to New York, which is a basketball town. The Knicks up to this point have been almost unbearable to watch and maybe this will create a buzz again in New York about the Knicks. The key in this trade will be what kind of draft picks are involved here. If they are 1st round picks, Phoenix may end up with a steal here because the Knicks are certain to be drafting in the lottery and if Phoenix gets their 1st round picks, it could potentially be a #1 overall pick. Plus they got cash from the Knicks and if McDyess can stay healthy, it may work out pretty well for the Suns. Phoenix really had nothing to lose with this trade. Even with Marbury, they own the worst record in the West at 12-22 and Jerry Colangelo has never been the type of owner who sits by and watches a bad team so this trade did not surprise me at all. We'll see how it works out.
xxx

Postby ZenMaster on Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:50 pm

Phoenix did it mostly for future cap space....some of the salaries they will be getting (e.g., McDyess) can come off the payroll at the end of the season, or maybe even before (Ward has a buyout clause if I am not mistaken)....so next season, the Suns might be as much as $10 million under the cap to pursue some big-name free agents (Kobe?)....plus the draft picks and cash on top of that. Not too bad if you think about it. Hey, they are mired in last place, they had to do something to start rebuilding that mess, this is a good start. Plus I think Vujanic and Lampe will help them down the road.

As for New York, this gives them some decent talent (finally) to make a move in the Leastern Conference. A starting lineup of Mutombo, Thomas, Van Horn, Houston and Marbury? Not bad in my book....good job Zeke :jam2:
ZenMaster

Postby JSM on Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:09 pm

yeah I guess the Suns are looking long term when they did this, but it gives NY more of an immediate impact. Look at NY's depth now
    Deke/Trybanski
    Thomas/Harrington
    Van Horn/Anderson
    Houston/Penny
    Marbury/Williams/Norris

That's a very good team
JSM

Postby NBN on Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:44 pm

holy [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] =0
bball
NBN

Postby BDG on Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:18 pm

jsm0331 wrote:yeah I guess the Suns are looking long term when they did this, but it gives NY more of an immediate impact. Look at NY's depth now
    Deke/Trybanski
    Thomas/Harrington
    Van Horn/Anderson
    Houston/Penny
    Marbury/Williams/Norris

That's a very good team

I think they could take anywhere from spots 1-3 next year if everyone is healthy.

They could creep in at the five or six spot this year.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby JSM on Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:29 pm

they probably have the best/deepest backcourt in the east now

That would be a great finals matchup next year...the best backcourt in the west vs the best backcourt in the east. Plus, I am sure Shaq wouldn't mind embarrassing Deke one more time, since Deke always seems to be on the team we face in the finals (except the Pacers)
JSM

Postby shaqpak34 on Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:34 pm

theres and insider article that says that the suns coulda done this to try nd get kobe...can any insiders at least tell us what the article is about if not post it up herre please????
shaqpak34

Postby PiEdIe on Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:34 pm

stop lcoking my [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] threads... anyway it is officiial now
PiEdIe

Postby JSM on Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:04 pm

here is what is being said about the trade
Sportsline: "I think we got the best deal," Knicks center Dikembe Mutombo said. "He's among the best point guards in the league, he's an All-Star player."

The trade represents a major shakeup for both teams. In exchange for its best player, Phoenix will go under the salary cap next summer and will have at least $8 million to offer to a free agent class that includes Kobe Bryant.

Colangelo said the Suns will save $20 million to $25 million in salary and luxury tax costs through the 2004-05 season. That will allow the Suns to rebuild a team that was eliminated in the first round of the playoffs last season after missing the postseason the year before.

"This is a big picture kind of move, and a bold move," Colangelo said. "We didn't have flexibility under the cap, and we were hamstrung by some contracts. This allows us to be a player in free agency if we choose to. This is not a telent-for-talent deal."

"We've got a scoring point guard coming in, and a two-guard who's been getting it done for a number of years. So it's going to be a different look for us out there, but it definitely should be an improvement," Kurt Thomas said.

I knew right after we got a new sheriff in town that we were in for a shakeup. One of the reasons he was brought here was to shake up the team and get us to the playoffs," Mutombo said.

Marbury will be reunited with Keith Van Horn, his teammate in New Jersey.

"No matter how long you play in this league, there's still things that come up that are surprising, and this is definitely one of them," Van Horn said. "Personally we never had any problems. On the court we didn't win, and I think that was the biggest problem that Stephon and I had."

"On paper, talentwise, this puts us right up there at the top," Van Horn said. "But that's just paper."
JSM

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:37 pm

I was listening to my main man Steven A. Smith on ESPN radio at lunchtime when he confirmed this trade done and over with... I am shocked, that's one hell of a trade...

:wow:
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Kobe834 on Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:30 pm

I just heard this on Fox Sports Net. I have to say, man, this i undoubtedly the biggest trade I've heard of in a while. The fact that 2 or 3 all-stars were swapped, is unbelievable. Stupid move for the Suns. McDeiess is on his way down hill, were lacking toughness in the middle for a while now, but this is idiotic. Genius move by the Knicks. I tell you, Isiah Thomas is gonna turn this franchise around. Genius move by the Knicks. This was totally shocking. Suns gave up their franchise player, and a very talented, cluch player in Marbury, and a very much improved Penny Hardaway. Knicks now have a player to rely on to take a clutch shot. I can't wait to see Starbury in a Knicks uni, although I am severely dissapointed in the Suns.
Kobe834

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:47 pm

suns, beileve it or not, are tha winners of this trade

they are OBVIOUSLY trying to get kobe

and i think they will

mcdyess and ward are FA's...then they have TWO first round picks, and MACJEI LAMPE a HUGE steal in this trade...and BARBOSA HAS GAME...they opened tha door for him at point guard

Phoenix will have bout 10 million in cap space...
FabFourLakers

Postby Kobe834 on Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:53 pm

I dodn't know they got Barbosa and Lampe. This changes everything. But I still don't think they will get Kobe.
Kobe834

Postby rydjorker121 on Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:00 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:suns, beileve it or not, are tha winners of this trade

they are OBVIOUSLY trying to get kobe

and i think they will

mcdyess and ward are FA's...then they have TWO first round picks, and MACJEI LAMPE a HUGE steal in this trade...and BARBOSA HAS GAME...they opened tha door for him at point guard

Phoenix will have bout 10 million in cap space...

I TOTALLY, TOTALLY agree....

think outside the box fellas...it helps the Suns in the long run, don't you think?...The Arizona Republic just reported that the Suns are going to waive Ward's bloated contract and with all of those expiring contracts including Antonio McDyess's, the Suns will have about $20 million dollars in cap space to spend next summer...some say for use for Kobe Bryant...but of course what's up with all this Kobe blabber and sweepstakes? Everyone seems to want him, the Knicks used to want him but with Marbury's contract they can't really afford Kobe unless Kobe isn't in it for the money. And believe me, Kobe doesn't play for money, he plays for the love of the game...but still money would be good...if anything I wish Kobe would stay, although chances are that with all these teams pressuring him out of the Lakers, I would have to guess that Kobe wants a new surroundings of teammates...say, like the Clippers. To help an up-and-coming team get over par. The Clips have money to spend and that money the Suns have reserved may come to naught if they don't get Kobe. Hence, they have good core players in Howard Eisley, McDyess, Lampe and even two future first round draft picks, hell thats a lot and thats way too good even for great players in Marbury and Hardaway. You have to think in the long run, the Knicks are helping themselves too, trust me, getting front-term insurance, both teams are getting great deals, just imagine Marbury and Houston in the backcourt--pass and dish, pass and dish, pass and dish--and Hardaway off the bench. Crazy...but again, the Suns have good core players and with the return of Zarko and Amare you have no doubt but to say that they still have a manageable lineup. Now they can use Barbosa more--and speaking of Barbosa--he just scored 27 points against the Bulls! Star-power! See, the Suns are really getting the upper deck of the trade--lest Isiah still made an excellent move for his team.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby JSM on Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:01 pm

the Suns did get Lampe, but they didn't get rid of Barbosa
JSM

Postby LuvLakers4life on Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:52 pm

OMG!!! SUNS ARE SO F*CKIN STUPID!!! :bang: :bang: :bang: I THINK THIS IS A BIG LOST TO THEM!!! :man7:
I LOVE YOU DEREK WHEREVER YOU ARE!!! I'M YOUR BIGGEST FAN IN THIS WHOLE WORLD!!! YOU'RE GONNA BE GREATLY MISSED!!! THANKS FOR EVERYTHING DFISH!!! AND GOODBYE...
LuvLakers4life

Postby lakerfanimal on Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:05 pm

kobe wont leave, he play much better in a tinsel town where all the publicity is than the hot dessert n boring town of phoenix, where the cardinals suck, the hockey team sucks, the baseball teams ok, n since barkley thers not been much pub bou the suns, so kobe stay with the purple n gold not purple n orange or watever they colors r
ImageImage
lakerfanimal

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:09 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:kobe wont leave, he play much better in a tinsel town where all the publicity is than the hot dessert n boring town of phoenix, where the cardinals suck, the hockey team sucks, the baseball teams ok, n since barkley thers not been much pub bou the suns, so kobe stay with the purple n gold not purple n orange or watever they colors r

maybe thats what kobe wants...a "boring" town like phoenix...a place where he can "get away" from all tha attention

as much as i dont want kobe to be a sun...he COULD very well be one by next year...

im still shocked at this trade...really...really SHOCKED at this trade

they JUST signed marbury to a contract extension...i cant wait to hear what marbury has to say bout this trade...
FabFourLakers

Postby JSM on Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:15 pm

yeah I want to see the press conference on this one
JSM

Next

Return to NBA Discussion