Bulls to likely keep Gibson over Boozer

Bulls to likely keep Gibson over Boozer

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:54 am

Marc Stein of ESPN wrote:Next to Derrick Rose, there's no Bull valued more by the organization than Gibson. Which is why many rival teams expect the Bulls to have Gibson signed to a new deal by month's end, even though Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf is seemingly never in a rush to do extensions.

The high dollars and luxury-tax implications are such in James Harden's case that it wouldn't totally shock the world if the parties reach November without a deal ... but no deal in Gibson's case would expose the Bulls to the same conditions that made it possible for Houston to pilfer Omer Asik in restricted free agency this past July. Which is something Chicago really can't afford. Extending Gibson now and cutting ties with Carlos Boozer later via the amnesty clause, sources say, is still the most likely outcome here.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Bulls to likely keep Gibson over Boozer

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:38 am

Gibson isn't showing the advancement that I was hoping from him, at least not from the limited amount I've seen. When he started in this league I thought he'd be a really good young PF.

But of course, even his game now is something I'd value over Boozer. Boozer has one of the worst contracts in the game right now.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby retro_nights on Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:41 pm

Gibson is about what I thought he'd be. Coming out of USC he didn't really show much.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby Frank Dux on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:30 pm

Gibson actually surprised me. I didn't think he'd be this productive at the NBA level.

Boozer isn't really great, but he's not as bad as people make him out to be. I think it's mostly the Rose homers trying to downplay the rest of the Bulls squad in order to prop him up. Boozer put up 15/8 last season on 53% from the field. That's pretty productive in my opinion, and it would be stupid to amnesty him. You only amnesty a guy if you want to make room for a F/A signing, the player is unable to produce on the court, or if their character is detrimental to the team. I don't think Boozer is any of those 3 at this point.

Remember the Luis Scola situation? The Rockets are definitely regretting that move.
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:55 pm

I think the Bulls should have kept Asik and should keep Gibby and move/cut/waive/fire/lose Noah and Booz.

Booz finally had a respectable year stat wise last season, but he's the epitome of fools gold. There's a reason his nickname is Loser Boozer.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Return to NBA Discussion