Bynum Discussion

Re: Andrew Bynum Discussion: Guess what? Knee flares up.

Postby karacha on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:43 pm

So much talent, but... weak knees will slow his career to a crawl. I wish him all the best, obviously, but when he comes back, he'll be incredibly rusty, and who knows if he's going to get hurt again.

And I wonder... who is going to offer him a fat contract this summer? Will someone take that risk?
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LAKEROC on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:14 pm

^ He will. 7-0 and 300 pounds don't grow on trees. If Houston wants to give him a fat contract, he will go there.

Jeremy Lin- James Harden and a healthy(he never is) Andrew Bynum is damn scary
LAKEROC

Postby The Rock on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:52 pm

Well then, Magic

http://sulia.com/channel/basketball/f/8dcf7b8a-4792-4e97-a69d-6d90c5237f32/?source=twitter

Magic, though, thinks it's more of a bum attitude than anything physical.

"I loved playing basketball so I would play in pain. I did that for many years," Johnson said tonight on ESPN’s KIA NBA Countdown. "Andrew Bynum was here in Los Angeles with the Lakers. He wasn’t a guy who could tolerate pain. When he was injured, he wasn’t a guy who worked hard to get back. This doesn’t surprise me.

"Now we see why Kobe Bryant had trouble with the big man because when you think about Andrew, he’s a guy who never liked criticism. He’s not a gym rat. I think he plays because hey, I’m getting paid and I’m in the spotlight, but I don’t think he loves to play."

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby DHL on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:56 pm

bynum played on one 1 leg for our 2 championships
Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby revgen on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:11 pm

^I'm not sure what Magic is talking about there. Brain fart I guess.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby gcclaker on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:52 pm

revgen wrote:^I'm not sure what Magic is talking about there. Brain fart I guess.

Johnson does... He once played on a torn hamstring in The Finals one year. Oh wait, that was Jerry West. My bad... Bynum slogged it out in 2010 Finals by having his knees drained just to play.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:15 pm

Such a mystery why it went so bad during the off season and early training for him after a relatively healthy year last year with us. Then he goes and does the Kobe treatment on top of it that seems to help most players' conditions. Very strange.
LTLakerFan

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:25 pm

It seemed like the PRP therapy was working for him until he decided to go bowling.

As for Magic's comments, maybe he's trying to tell Dwight that he'll get more respect by sucking it up while he's in LA, and do what it takes to win, healthy or not.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby dj vitus on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:50 pm

To me, it seemed like Bynum was more or less "forced" to play on 1 leg during our run. He was young, and the NBA was new to him, so he was more eager to play (than now) and he followed orders.

Maybe he's depressed from hurting his knees. Not being able to do your job can do that to you, making you lose passion, focus and what not.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby revgen on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:03 am

So, in 2010, Bynum "followed orders" to play on a swollen limb that required constant draining of fluid? I'll need to see a source before I believe that.

Also, Bynum wasn't "new" when he played in 2010. It was his 5th year in the league. And he had played on a bum wheel the season before so he knew what he was in for. He wasn't naive.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby karacha on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:47 am

I don't know what Magic is talking about. Bynum played hurt for us and contributed. OK, maybe he's not a gym rat -- but he did tolerate pain and play with drained knees in the playoffs.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:34 am

The Rock wrote:Well then, Magic

http://sulia.com/channel/basketball/f/8dcf7b8a-4792-4e97-a69d-6d90c5237f32/?source=twitter

Magic, though, thinks it's more of a bum attitude than anything physical.

"I loved playing basketball so I would play in pain. I did that for many years," Johnson said tonight on ESPN’s KIA NBA Countdown. "Andrew Bynum was here in Los Angeles with the Lakers. He wasn’t a guy who could tolerate pain. When he was injured, he wasn’t a guy who worked hard to get back. This doesn’t surprise me.

"Now we see why Kobe Bryant had trouble with the big man because when you think about Andrew, he’s a guy who never liked criticism. He’s not a gym rat. I think he plays because hey, I’m getting paid and I’m in the spotlight, but I don’t think he loves to play."

:man3: ?
wcsoldier81

Postby JSM on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:42 am

Feel bad for Drew and I feel bad for Collins, he's on the verge of losing it over there and this news certainly doesn't help. Selfishly, I'm just glad this isn't our problem, we've dealt with enough this season. So are people ready to reach for the fork? If I'm Houston, I don't touch him with a 10 1/2 foot pole. They don't exactly have the best of luck when it comes to injured stars (Yao, T-Mac). He should try to force his way to Phoenix in a S&T.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Sources: Drew Considering Knee Surgery

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:31 am

Sources: Drew Considering Knee Surgery

John N. Mitchell, Inquirer Staff Writer
Posted: Saturday, March 2, 2013, 2:02 AM

The 76ers and center Andrew Bynum are considering arthroscopic surgery on the player's right knee in order to clean out loose cartilage, a procedure that could likely end the season for the center they traded so many young assets to acquire, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Bynum suffered a setback in the form of swelling in his right knee following his participation in a five-on-five scrimmage, first reported in The Inquirer Feb. 22. While the Sixers have been unable to practice recently due to their schedule, Bynum would not have been able to participate due to the swelling in his knee, which was also first reported by The Inquirer.

Bynum said his left knee "feels good."

Following practice at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine on Friday, Bynum acknowledged that his season might in fact be over.

"Now it's getting a little late, so I really don't know," Bynum said when asked if he were considering sitting out the final two months of the 76ers season. "I played in one scrimmage and [I have] a four- to five-day setback," Bynum said. He added that he is "just getting treatment and trying to push the fluid out" of his knee.

"I still think I can play," Bynum said, "but like I said, the season is short."

And growing shorter by the day for the teammates he has never shared the floor with since being traded to Philadelphia.

The Sixers (22-34) suffered their season-high seventh loss in a row at Chicago on Thursday, a setback that placed them six games out of the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. They have lost eight road games in a row, and they have won just one road game in 2013, over the Los Angeles Lakers on New Year's Day.

The Sixers will try to break their losing streak at the Wells Fargo Center when they host the surprisingly good Golden State Warriors. After that, the Sixers will have 25 games remaining in the regular season. Of those remaining games, just nine are at the Wells Fargo Center. Of their last 16, 12 are on the road.

Sixers coach Doug Collins has tried all season to impress upon the Sixers that they must continue to play hard without Bynum, who last season with the Lakers earned second-team all-NBA honors after averaging 18.7 points on 55.8 percent shooting, 11.8 rebounds, and 1.9 blocks.

"From training camp on, I've tried to say, 'You know what, we don't have Andrew. We've got to play and then hopefully we get him back and he's going to really help us.' I haven't been waking up every morning saying, 'I hope he gets back today.' Do I hope that? Sure I do, but I've got to focus in on these guys who are playing every night," Collins said.

Bynum, acquired from the Lakers in a 12-player deal, had serious knee issues with Los Angeles. He had surgery in 2008 for a dislocated left kneecap and on his right knee in 2010 because of torn cartilage. He played every regular-season game only once in seven seasons with the Lakers.

Bynum, who is earning more than $16 million this season, will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. The Sixers hold his "Larry Bird" rights and therefore can pay him more than any other team. However, the Sixers must seriously consider the ramifications of re-signing a player with a history of knee problems.

In order to acquire Bynum last summer, the Sixers, who also acquired injured shooting guard Jason Richardson in the trade, dealt Andre Iguodala to Denver, and Maurice Harkless, Nik Vucevic, and a conditional first-round draft pick to Orlando.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/six ... rgery.html
Kobe8Fan

Postby Frank Dux on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:50 am

Houston should not go near Bynum(I don't think any team should). They are a flashy uptempo young team. A team that already has a quality center that contributes on a nightly basis. Bynum is somewhat of a chemistry killer, and when he eventually gets playing time he won't be happy playing second banana to Harden. Houston is better off saving their cap space for an able bodied player, preferably an all star power forward who can stretch the floor. LMA or Love would be perfect for them.
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Basketball Fan on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:12 pm

The Bynum commentary on this blog is hilarious

http://www.crossingbroad.com/
Basketball Fan

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:13 pm

Sources say Andrew Bynum has a degenerative condition in his knees; I'm no orthopedic surgeon, but that doesn't
sound like something that ever gets better. The best he can hope for is to manage the condition and hope to eke out a few more seasons. To that end, though, he is truly in a Catch-22: he has to ramp up his workouts and conditioning to get in playing shape, but his knees don't seem capable of handling ramped-up workouts and conditioning. He would be garnering far more sympathy if he hadn't developed a reputation in L.A. for not being diligent about following his rehab program after his initial knee issues. 9 minutes ago
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lakefansac on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:20 am

That's too bad. Bynum is essentially Ralph Sampson 2.0 Bynum lost a lot of explosion ever since his knee injury in 2008 that he has to gather himself more before every shot in the post.
lakefansac

Postby KB24 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:44 am

Get a haircut surgery first please.

he remembers me of fat Albert

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby The Rock on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:26 am

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1961019

by Jason Wolf, USA TODAY Sports

Updated: 03/03/2013 09:50pm

WASHINGTON — Philadelphia 76ers general manager Tony DiLeo said that Andrew Bynum is considering arthroscopic surgery on his balky knees and that the organization has yet to decide whether to attempt to sign the one-time All-Star center once he becomes a free agent after this season.

Arthroscopic surgery to clean the loose cartilage out of Bynum's knees would ensure he does not play for the Sixers this season. Philadelphia entered Sunday night's contest trailing Milwaukee by 5½ games for the eighth and final playoff berth in the Eastern Conference with 25 games to play.

Building around Bynum remains the team's preferred option, if he's healthy.

"He is Plan A," DiLeo said Sunday before the Sixers played the Washington Wizards at the Verizon Center, speaking publicly for the first time since Bynum announced a setback in his rehab from what could be career-threatening knee injuries on Friday.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby XXIV on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:34 am

He's going to want a long term deal and that's very risky for Philly unless they can get a team option.
XXIV

Postby last stand on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:11 pm

this whole situation isn't that bad for philly. they desperately wanted to shed that iggy contract. worst case scenario is bynum walks, they have plenty of cap space. holliday and turner are decent pieces. it's not doomsday, unless they sign bynum long term and the knee issues continue. then it becomes an issue
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby khmrP on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:19 am

Pho has to take a chance on this guy, look at the miracle that is JO this season :man10:
khmrP

Postby hoopschick03 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:17 pm

khmrP wrote:Pho has to take a chance on this guy, look at the miracle that is JO this season :man10:

JO is 34 years old, playing on a Vet's min. Andrew is 25, and turned down $58 million because he wants a $100 million. There's taking a chance, and there's being crazy. For the right price and contract structure, I'm sure Philly would love to keep Andrew and give it a go. And there will be a number of other teams looking for a bargain on those busted knees. But the question this summer will be how delusional Andrew and his agent will be.
YES WE CAN.
hoopschick03

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:20 pm

hoopschick03 wrote: Andrew is 25, and turned down $58 million because he wants a $100 million.

Really? When did he turn down $58M?
Chillbongo

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion