Bynum Discussion

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:02 am

He might actually be useful in the playoffs. Keep Hibbert fresh with lower minutes.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 11:59 pm
Location: Hollywood

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby revgen on Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:14 am

@WojYahooNBA 22m

Barring an unforeseen snag, Indiana will sign free agent center Andrew Bynum today, sources tell Yahoo Sports.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru
 
Posts: 21723
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby v1n5anity on Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:45 am

When you look at a team like the Pacers, they run their offence through the post with that starting lineup. Those starters know how to make an entry pass and feed off post play. I'm sure Indy would love to do this all game but the truth is, when Hibbert comes out and Mahinmi is in, they have no choice but to change their offensive strategy. He's not a good post player and is pretty much an offensive liability. With Bynum replacing him, they can play their style of offence for a full 48 minutes. That's big. Remember, this starting unit for the Pacers outplayed Miami's last year in the playoffs (+44 or something for the series coming into game 7 iirc). The thing was, when Hibbert wasn't in the game, Miami took advantage big time. Bynum can be the answer to that. He's still a big body, and while he's not very quick laterally, as we Laker fans know, he's always been a guy who can alter/block shots at a high rate.

I was telling my friends a couple weeks ago that when you look at what's best for Bynum and the team that would be signing him, there's no better fit than the Pacers. They have a legit chance at a ring this year, they play a slower, half court, inside-out offence that fits Bynum's game to a T. It's also a good fit defensively as Pacers are with the "defensive anchor" philosophy. It's why I thought Miami shouldn't go for him (not a great fit on offence or defence). At the end of the day, Bynum is money driven. It's clear that he's been waiting out on a bigger offer for weeks, but it just hasn't come. It makes sense to go a contender that fits his game. And if he can contribute + win a ring, it bodes well for his chances at getting a bigger contract this summer.

I didn't think this was likely however, because I didn't think Bynum would accept that role (Hibbert's backup). But if these rumours are true and he's willing to sign, I think it's a huge deal assuming he's healthy. And if it fails, hey, you can cut him, or as another player might say, "ship his [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] out!".
User avatar
v1n5anity

 
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby trodgers on Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:03 am

I think this will be good for Bynum, and I've always supported him.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46636
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby noobiew on Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:39 am

I think this is a really good pickup for Indiana. They have a really strong and interesting C-F rotation now !

C - Roy Hibbert / Andrew Bynum
PF - David West / Luis Scola
SF - Paul George / Danny Granger
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
User avatar
noobiew

 
Posts: 5654
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:55 am

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby lakefansac on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:41 am

Good pick up that will help them push them over the top. The Pacers essentially play an old school, San Antonio Spurs type of basketball with a lot of half court but run when there is an opportunity along with a great defense supported by a defensive anchor. Also having Bynum helps with the referees put Hibbert in foul trouble since the refs these days are anti-big, anti-post play regardless if the big is playing defense or offense. I figure that the refs are not going to foul out both Bynum and Hibbert in the same game.
User avatar
lakefansac

 
Posts: 1375
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:15 pm

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby escobar8 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:03 pm

Like you said...first i am glad he didnt go to miami...and second i am happy couse if he can play 15min per game it will increase their chances to beat miami by lot...
User avatar
escobar8

 
Posts: 9768
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:35 am
Location: Croatia

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby charvin on Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:20 pm

v1n5anity wrote:When you look at a team like the Pacers, they run their offence through the post with that starting lineup. Those starters know how to make an entry pass and feed off post play. I'm sure Indy would love to do this all game but the truth is, when Hibbert comes out and Mahinmi is in, they have no choice but to change their offensive strategy. He's not a good post player and is pretty much an offensive liability. With Bynum replacing him, they can play their style of offence for a full 48 minutes. That's big. Remember, this starting unit for the Pacers outplayed Miami's last year in the playoffs (+44 or something for the series coming into game 7 iirc). The thing was, when Hibbert wasn't in the game, Miami took advantage big time. Bynum can be the answer to that. He's still a big body, and while he's not very quick laterally, as we Laker fans know, he's always been a guy who can alter/block shots at a high rate.

I was telling my friends a couple weeks ago that when you look at what's best for Bynum and the team that would be signing him, there's no better fit than the Pacers. They have a legit chance at a ring this year, they play a slower, half court, inside-out offence that fits Bynum's game to a T. It's also a good fit defensively as Pacers are with the "defensive anchor" philosophy. It's why I thought Miami shouldn't go for him (not a great fit on offence or defence). At the end of the day, Bynum is money driven. It's clear that he's been waiting out on a bigger offer for weeks, but it just hasn't come. It makes sense to go a contender that fits his game. And if he can contribute + win a ring, it bodes well for his chances at getting a bigger contract this summer.

I didn't think this was likely however, because I didn't think Bynum would accept that role (Hibbert's backup). But if these rumours are true and he's willing to sign, I think it's a huge deal assuming he's healthy. And if it fails, hey, you can cut him, or as another player might say, "ship his [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] out!".


No access to Pacers games. When the strategy changes with Mahinmi coming in, is there a big drop-off?
charvin

 
Posts: 540
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby Rooscooter on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:25 pm

Looks like he went to a team that actually uses post players. Miami is centered on perimeter players and keeping big guys in motion to keep the lane open for Bron/Wade to attack....

He made the right choice IMO. Indiana will have a 2 deep center position that is the best in the league.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23127
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby revgen on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:28 pm

charvin wrote:
No access to Pacers games. When the strategy changes with Mahinmi coming in, is there a big drop-off?


The Pacers fans that don't like Mahinmi complain about his inability to catch a pass and his penchant for picking up quick fouls. Mahinmi averages 2.7 PF's a game in 16mpg. That's a bit too much, even for a bench player.

Bynum can catch a pass and does a pretty good job protecting the rim while staying out of foul trouble.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru
 
Posts: 21723
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby XXIV on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:57 pm

I'm glad the Pacers got him. Hopefully he helps them dethrone Miami.
XXIV

 
Posts: 6386
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:20 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby Basketball Fan on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:00 am

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... ver-heard/

Larry Bird says notion that Pacers signed Bynum to keep him from Heat is ‘the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard’

The Pacers signed Andrew Bynum for the remainder of the season, and some think it was a move based purely in defense — off the court, much more than on it.

Indiana has been the best team in the East over the first half of the season, and team chemistry has been at at all-time high. Head coach Frank Vogel has his players locked in on the singular goal of finishing the regular season with the league’s best record, so if there are any postseason Game 7s this year, they’ll be played on the Pacers’ home floor.

Adding a questionable personality in the middle of a successful season like this one seems to be a risky move for the Pacers, at least on the surface. Unless, of course, they have little use for Bynum in the grand scheme of things, and simply wanted to make sure he didn’t land on another contender’s roster.

That’s all pure nonsense to Pacers GM Larry Bird, however, who wasn’t exactly kind in responding to that specific allegation.

From Mark Montieth of Pacers.com:

“I ain’t worried about next year,” team president Larry Bird said following the Pacers’ game-day shootaround on Saturday. “We’re in the now. We’re going to do everything we can to go as far as we possibly can.” …

Bird scoffed at the notion that the Pacers might be signing Bynum merely to keep him away from Miami or other contending teams.

“We don’t have the money to throw around and let them sit on our bench,” he said. “That’s about the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.”

The Heat were said to be one of the teams interested in Bynum once he became available, and the Pacers’ reported interest came a little bit later. Most assumed that Indiana would only grab Bynum as a preventative measure, in order to ensure that Miami didn’t scoop up another big body to deal with Roy Hibbert come playoff time.

But the reality is that Bynum isn’t really a fit for what the Heat do defensively, which has historically involved more active bigs who have been expected to be able to cover the ground necessary to get out to the perimeter on defensive rotations.

It’s been clear from the preseason that the Pacers are all-in this year, and Bird knows better than anyone how slim the window can be for a team’s title chances. He clearly believes Bynum is an upgrade to the bench and nothing else, but the fact that the Heat or another contender can’t have him now certainly doesn’t hurt Indiana’s long-term prospects.
Basketball Fan

 
Posts: 11544
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:45 am

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby D.B. Cooper on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:07 am

My pick to go to the Finals was OKC vs Pacers with Pacers winning it all. I don't think MIA can win 3 out of 4.
This signing is good for both Bynum and Pacers.
Image
User avatar
D.B. Cooper

 
Posts: 6851
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:03 pm
Location: C.L

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby v1n5anity on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:29 pm

charvin wrote:
v1n5anity wrote:When you look at a team like the Pacers, they run their offence through the post with that starting lineup. Those starters know how to make an entry pass and feed off post play. I'm sure Indy would love to do this all game but the truth is, when Hibbert comes out and Mahinmi is in, they have no choice but to change their offensive strategy. He's not a good post player and is pretty much an offensive liability. With Bynum replacing him, they can play their style of offence for a full 48 minutes. That's big. Remember, this starting unit for the Pacers outplayed Miami's last year in the playoffs (+44 or something for the series coming into game 7 iirc). The thing was, when Hibbert wasn't in the game, Miami took advantage big time. Bynum can be the answer to that. He's still a big body, and while he's not very quick laterally, as we Laker fans know, he's always been a guy who can alter/block shots at a high rate.

I was telling my friends a couple weeks ago that when you look at what's best for Bynum and the team that would be signing him, there's no better fit than the Pacers. They have a legit chance at a ring this year, they play a slower, half court, inside-out offence that fits Bynum's game to a T. It's also a good fit defensively as Pacers are with the "defensive anchor" philosophy. It's why I thought Miami shouldn't go for him (not a great fit on offence or defence). At the end of the day, Bynum is money driven. It's clear that he's been waiting out on a bigger offer for weeks, but it just hasn't come. It makes sense to go a contender that fits his game. And if he can contribute + win a ring, it bodes well for his chances at getting a bigger contract this summer.

I didn't think this was likely however, because I didn't think Bynum would accept that role (Hibbert's backup). But if these rumours are true and he's willing to sign, I think it's a huge deal assuming he's healthy. And if it fails, hey, you can cut him, or as another player might say, "ship his [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] out!".


No access to Pacers games. When the strategy changes with Mahinmi coming in, is there a big drop-off?


Simple answer is yes. And not just a small drop off, it's massive. Like I said, the Pacers starters were about +44 coming into game 7 of the series last year against Heat, and specifically the +/- turned negative when Hibbert was off the court (these stats were shown during the games). Let's take a deeper look as to why:

When you look at the Miami/Indy series specifically, the strategy instantly changes for Miami as soon as Hibbert steps off the court. It's all of a sudden attack, attack, attack. Guys are getting to the rim, drawing fouls, and making plays at a higher rate because Mahinmi can't defend like Hibbert can (size/length is the difference). Now, this is not to say Mahimi isn't good on defense, he's actually done a great job on that end of the floor this year, and the last couple years. But still, he can't be a big body, take up space, and block/alter shots like Hibbert or Bynum (when healthy/enganged) can. And he fouls a bit too much. This is why if Bynum is healthy, with the help of the Pacers' perimeter defenders, he can be a huge problem for Heat players who are looking to penetrate. Bynum has held players to 38% shooting around the rim this year as per NBA stats. Hibbert at 40%. Obviously a small sample size for Bynum, but it shows that he's still capable. I remember early on in the series between Indy/Miami last year, there was a stat that in the last 2 seasons/playoffs (last season + 2011/2012 season), when Hibbert was in the game, LeBron only had FOUR layups/dunks. And I believe ALL OF THEM were on a fastbreak. Just think about that for a second. If a guy like LeBron, who feasts at the rim, can be slowed down to that degree, what happens when the Pacers can potentially play like that for a full 48 minutes with Hibbert+Bynum? Bynum can clog the paint and discourage penetration better than Mahinmi. He can also block/alter shots better than Mahinmi (as long as he's engaged). He's also a much better rebounder and a legit 7 footer. And while Bynum is slow and not that mobile, neither is Hibbert. But the defensive scheme they have mixed with their perimeter defenders, he just has to protect the paint really, and we've seem him do that in his time here. A lot obviously depends on the healthy/attitude of Bynum, but the possibility is there. And this is just the defensive end we're talking about. I think the bigger upgrade is on the offensive side of the floor.

Like I said in my previous post, Mahinmi isn't a good offensive player and they can't run their offence through the post fluidly like they can with their starters. This is where Bynum comes in. The thing with Mahinmi is, he doesn't draw much defensive attention and that's gives defenders the opportunity to focus more on the other guys from that second unit, like Granger/Watson/Scola. If Bynum can play even half decent for his standards, we can see him draw that defensive attention that will allow the other guys to have more room to operate. That might be biggest thing. If they can continue to pound the ball inside and use their size advantage to really eat the interior defense up of the Heat, I can't see how Miami deals with 48 minutes of Hibbert+Bynum. It just seems like too much to handle. Pacers also have the best perimeter defense in the game. And the Heat's 3 point shooting has regressed this year. Their veterans are older. The Bynum signing might be the thing that pushes the Pacers over the top. I'm not sure if they win the whole thing, they definitely have a shot, I just hope they take down the Heat.
User avatar
v1n5anity

 
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:09 am

Really glad to hear that Bynum will be joining the Pacers. This could prove to be a difference maker in possibly taking down the CHEAT.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15212
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:44 am

Bynum is a good option over Mahinmi if he re-finds some mobility .

I would PNR Drew to death if I were the opponent team ... transition D is a huge pb for Drew too ...

Offensively , Drew finishes at a very poor 47% at the rim with the Cavs ( both Mahinmi and Hibbert are already horrible at finishing in the restricted era).

Of course , Drew is a better offensive player than Iam but he will have become efficient again , especially in limited minutes .
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6420
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby v1n5anity on Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:08 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Bynum is a good option over Mahinmi if he re-finds some mobility .

I would PNR Drew to death if I were the opponent team ... transition D is a huge pb for Drew too ...

Offensively , Drew finishes at a very poor 47% at the rim with the Cavs ( both Mahinmi and Hibbert are already horrible at finishing in the restricted era).

Of course , Drew is a better offensive player than Iam but he will have become efficient again , especially in limited minutes .


Bynum plays the PnR similar to Hibbert. Sag, and protect the paint. It's part of the reason the Suns dismantled that defense because Hibbert couldn't make it out far enough to contest the shot of a guy like Frye. Remember, Hibbert isn't a quick guy, but that defensive scheme + Pacers' perimeter players makes that team defense the best in the league. Of course there will be matchup problems for the Pacers against certain opponents, but against the Heat, they should be fine.
User avatar
v1n5anity

 
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:03 am

Gonna be awesome seeing Bynum vs Oden in the ECF....when the 2nd units are both in! Who woulda thought huh?
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11764
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby revgen on Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:56 am

Miami had discussions with Bynum before he signed with Indiana, a source said. It would have been odd for the Heat to have Bynum and Greg Oden.


http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-power-rankings--kevin-durant-leads-thunder-to-top-083115231.html
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru
 
Posts: 21723
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby revgen on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:47 pm

Former Bynum coach: He’s not ‘disruptive’

By Candace Buckner, candace.buckner@indystar.com 9 p.m. EST February 4, 2014

ATLANTA – Before the Philadelphia and Cleveland washouts, new Indiana Pacers center Andrew Bynum was an All-Star with the Los Angeles Lakers. Working with him during the 2011-12 season was Darvin Ham, now an assistant coach with the Atlanta Hawks.

“He has talent through the roof,” Ham said Tuesday. “It’s unfortunate that he’s gone through the issues that he’s gone through with his body, but I’m happy. I was happy to see someone went in and went ahead put themselves out there for his services. In the right environment, not saying anywhere else was a wrong environment, but when he’s locked in, he’s locked in.

During the pregame moments inside Philips Arena, Ham recalled his short time with the center, dispelling some of the baggage that Bynum has carried.

“I really spent a lot of one-on-one time with him, been in group settings with him,” Ham said. “He’s really not a disruptive guy. He just wants to be left alone and left alone to play the game, plain and simple.”

Ham also described Bynum as “an intelligent guy,” who’s into Formula One racing and creating radical workout regiments.

“He has these ideas about some new ways of training. Some stuff he threw at me,” Ham said. “We had an opportunity to talk this summer and he just blew me away, man, just the level on which he thinks.”

And what were these new training techniques? Ham has been sworn to secrecy.

“It is a ninja workout that few have seen,” Ham said with a smile, “and no one has conquered. I’ll put it like that. And he was one of the best pupils at it, and he totally embraced it.”

Pritchard on Bynum, other matters

After a three-hour dinner, the Pacers brass felt assured in adding Bynumto the roster.

Pacers General Manager Kevin Pritchard revealed this detail during a Tuesday morning interview with ESPN radio host Colin Cowherd.

Pritchard said that during the Friday night dinner – which included team president Larry Bird and coach Frank Vogel — Bynum made quite the pitch to join the Eastern Conference-leading Pacers.

“He made it perfectly clear,” Pritchard said during the radio interview. “He was like, ‘Look, I want to win a championship, I think I can really help you, and I want to fit in. I’m not coming here to let everybody fit in with me. I got to fit in with everybody else.’

“When he said that I think the thing changed.”

Other highlights of the interview included …

>>Pritchard on how Bynum fits with the Pacers: “I think all the cards sort of stacked up in our favor and we’re going to take the chance.”

>>On possibly upgrading the point guard spot before trade deadline: “We feel great about George Hill. … For us George Hill fits us perfectly because he’s a great catch-and-shoot player and he gets us in our offense, and Lance (Stephenson) and Paul (George) are such good playmakers.”

>>On ever winning an argument with Larry Bird: “Never. Are you kidding? … It’s not like I don’t try.”

>>More on Bird: “You put him and Pop (San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich) in the same room, it would be hilarious. If we could get that MMA action, it would be terrific.”

“I think he likes the fact as an organization you could go in and tell him exactly how you feel (and) he’s not going to judge that. He may say ‘you’re wrong,’ but he wants to hear what you actually feel and that’s what’s pretty important here.”

All Bynum, all the time

Bynum was listed on the inactive list Tuesday night, and he was not in Atlanta. However, Vogel said that Bynum will return to Indianapolis Thursday or Friday. Bynum should will likely be on the sideline — in street clothes — on Friday night when the Pacers play the Portland Trail Blazers at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.


http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2014/02/04/former-bynum-coach-hes-not-disruptive-/5214515/
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru
 
Posts: 21723
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby Basketball Fan on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:37 pm

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... cer-video/

Andrew Bynum speaks to the media about being a Pacer (VIDEO)

Indiana has signed Andrew Bynum but they are not going to rush him along, coach Frank Vogel has said Bynum will not play until sometime after the All-Star break. They don’t need to rush because they already have the best record in the East and the best defense in the NBA. Anything they get from him is just sprinkles on top of the icing already on the cake. Bynum was a low risk pickup because if he does workout he improves their bench and if he doesn’t they don’t pay him much and he doesn’t join Miami.

Bynum went through his first practice with the Pacers Friday and spoke to the media afterward, above is the conversation. Here are a few highlights.

• What did Bynum do with his time off between the Cavaliers and Pacers? “Really just relaxing at home, that’s it.” But he’s been keeping a workout regimen going, right? “Not really.” He did say he tried to eat right. So there’s that.

• “Getting comfortable with the guys, that’s the biggest part. Then when I’m given an opportunity go play hard.”

• To his critics that say he doesn’t love the game. “That’s what their going to say, I can’t fight it. All I can do is just go play hard and put points by my name.”

• “My motivation right now is the opportunity to win, because that’s the most fun, and just being around a positive atmosphere.”

• On his time in Cleveland, who traded him to Chicago (who cut him). “The atmosphere over there wasn’t one that promoted positive energy and wanting to come in, and it was just tough.” Spoken like a guy who played and grew up under Phil Jackson.
Basketball Fan

 
Posts: 11544
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:45 am

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:55 pm

I love Bynum's honesty. Here's my answer, if you don't like it, I don't care.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19446
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby revgen on Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:02 pm

Pacers' Bynum says he's ready to 'play hard'

By Candace Buckner, candace.buckner@indystar.com

As Andrew Bynum left the basketball court Friday morning to meet with reporters for the first time since becoming an Indiana Pacer, his new teammate George Hill marveled at the scene.

"L.A. media!" Hill joked loud enough to be heard.

Only Bynum did not reply – just as he has ignored the lingering doubts about his desire to play basketball.

"I mean, people have opinions, I don't respond to it," Bynum said. "I just go out and play.

"Again, that's what they're going to say. All I can do is go play hard and put points by your name, that's it."

After the Pacers' morning shootaround, Bynum, a 7-2 center, remained calm as much smaller members of the media hedged him in. For more than five minutes, Bynum answered a range of questions about his commitment to the game, his desire to join the Pacers and even what went south during his short stay in Cleveland.

In December, the Cavaliers dismissed Bynum for "conduct detrimental to the team." In January, the Cavaliers traded Bynum to Chicago where he was promptly waived and became a free agent for about a month before the Pacers signed him last Saturday.

"It wasn't that it didn't work (in Cleveland)," Bynum said, "it's just the atmosphere over there wasn't the one that kind of promoted positive energy in wanting to come in and really – it was just tough at the end of the day.

"There's really nothing to be said about it. They did everything they could for me and I went there and worked hard, got myself into shape and that was the goal."

Pacers head coach Frank Vogel echoed what Bynum said while making his pitch to join the Pacers.

"We just talked about (whether he) is still hungry, that he still does want to play," Vogel said, referring to dinner last Friday night with Bynum and his agent. "He wants to work and we believe that. We believe that he was in a bad situation the last place he was at and believe it will work here."

During his absence from the game, Bynum said that he mostly was "relaxing at home and that's it." Bynum said he did not have a workout regimen.

However, Bynum said that he remained in shape by "just eating correctly" and should return to form shortly.

"I was out for a significant amount of time," Bynum said, "but it's not the end-of-the-world amount of time where I have to go to square zero."

In his first day with the Pacers, Bynum wore a practice uniform and only participated in light shooting. Soon, the work will begin in getting Bynum up to speed with the team playbook, but Pacers fans should not expect his debut soon. Vogel said the team will decide if Bynum is ready to play after "a week or two" of practice after the All-Star break.

"We're just putting him at a few weeks," Vogel said. "We want him to be comfortable."

On Friday morning, Bynum seemed comfortable while looking over the camera lights and crush of reporters. After all, he has endured intense attention since being drafted as a teenager by the Los Angeles Lakers in 2005. In L.A., Bynum won two championships. In Indianapolis, he wants to recapture that feeling.

"My primary motivator right now is the opportunity to win and do it again because that's the most fun," Bynum said. "I think the (Pacers) system is good. I played through the bigs and it was just a great fit, great opportunity to win."


http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2014/02/07/pacers-c-bynum-ready-to-play-hard-and-put-points-by-your-name/5282929/
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru
 
Posts: 21723
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:40 am

Good for Bynum...he'll do well. That positive environment will do wonders for him. Best of luck, Bynum...rooting for you...
lukewaltonsdad

 
Posts: 808
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 am

Re: Bynum Discussion

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:22 am

Bynum will never amount to what he could of because his attitude. He will help the Pacers get over the hump in my opinion but he is way to talented to be the back-up guy on a championship team.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
User avatar
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator
 
Posts: 31459
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:15 pm
Location: Making folks sexy with dancin'

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 7 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.