Byron Scott fired as Cavs coach

Cavs rumored to let go of Byron Scott after season

Postby JSM on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:27 pm

Probasketballdraft ‏@Probballdraft 25m
Expect Byron Scott to be fired shortly after regular season conclusion based on conversations w/ several Cavs sources.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Cavs rumored to let go of Byron Scott after season

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:33 pm

I don't know what they expect from him up here. Kyrie is injury prone and they don't have another veteran on the roster that can take over games. They are a bunch of pups out there right now.

They play some pretty exciting and solid basketball at times, but it just doesn't translate to victories. That roster is just way too young right now to make any noise.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:39 pm

The coach always takes the blame for crap rosters, I don't see how he could have done better with that team.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:41 pm

he got fired from Nets and Hornets.........dude just wears out his welcome regardless of winning.
khmrP

Postby Weezy on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:55 pm

Yeah he got fired, but he took the Nets to 2 Finals in a row and did some really good things with NO with Chris Paul. Maybe he's a strict coach and wears out his welcome, but he seems like a good coach to me, I'd take him over our current coach in a second.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby S.R.05 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:17 am

yeah as far as i'm concerned this will be the 3rd time he didn't necessarily deserve to get fired. but it's a hell of a lot easier (*cheaper) to blame one coach than it is to change an entire roster

i.e. how have the nets & hornets done since he was let go?
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:47 am

Weezy wrote:The coach always takes the blame for crap rosters, I don't see how he could have done better with that team.

You mean like D'Antoni? :man1:

I'd welcome him back in any capacity. I like B. Scott. If I remember he and Kobe have a rapport. Assistant Coach, Head Coach, some sort of Exec. position. I like him, bring him in.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:55 am

therealdeal wrote:
Weezy wrote:The coach always takes the blame for crap rosters, I don't see how he could have done better with that team.

You mean like D'Antoni? :man1:

I'd welcome him back in any capacity. I like B. Scott. If I remember he and Kobe have a rapport. Assistant Coach, Head Coach, some sort of Exec. position. I like him, bring him in.

No, not Mike 'Antoni, compared to the Cavs roster he has an All-Star team. He's never taken a team to the Finals, he's a clown, and he deserves to be fired every time he is. :man1:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:58 am

Not the whole season though. In fact for most of the season he hasn't had a team much better than those Cavs.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:18 am

Don't want to keep going off topic, but you have to be joking. Their 2 best players are Irving and Varejao, they have 2 young talents in Waiters and Thompson, and then a bunch of role players and guys I've never heard of or who should be in the D-League. Irving missed 20-some games, Varejao only played 25. That's like us missing Kobe for 20-some games and only having Dwight for 25, because Varejao is their Dwight, that's how bad they suck. If you want to defend 'Antoni as a good coach be prepared for a long discussion :man10: , because I will never, never concede that he's anything but an overrated one trick pony that would rather be buddies with his players than be tough on them, who doesn't value defense or post play and actually has to go away from his style of doing things to be successful, and who's been lucky to have guys like Nash, Melo, and Kobe to carry him and make him look better than he is. He's the type of coach that actually holds back good teams/rosters from being great, where a coach like say Phil Jackson can get more use and production out of the worst role players than almost anyone else could.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:39 am

I'm not saying D'Antoni is a good coach. I'm saying he's had just as tough a break this season as anybody ever has in the history of the league.

You can talk about all their D-League guys all you want, but I'll just remind you that Nash is now 39 and has missed over 30 games this season. Pau has missed over 30 games this season (and early in the year he was playing hurt). Dwight has played almost the whole season at about half speed. Hill missed 53 games. Blake missed almost 40 games. Artest had surgery. Kobe ruptured his achilles.

And none of these things happened simultaneously. They were shuffled in and out and so on and so forth. Factor in Dr. Buss dying and that's just another unholy obstacle.

We were dependent on Darius Morris and Chris Duhon for weeks and neither of those guys is really fit to make an NBA roster any more, even in Cleveland. Cleveland's bench is probably better than ours for goodness sake. And don't mistake youth for lack of talent. They've got some decent players on that squad. Tristan Thompson, Kyrie Irving, Anderson Varejao, Dion Waiters. Those guys are all very talented and would make noise on any team. I'd also take Shaun Livingston, C.J. Miles, Wayne Ellington, Alonzo Gee, Marresse Speights, and even Omri Casspi on our squad over Morris, Duhon, and Ebanks.

Obviously I'm not saying D'Antoni is good. I'm just saying his roster for most of this season has been just as much crap as Cleveland's for stretches at a time. When we were at our healthiest, we have gone 20-8. That's all I'm saying. I'm not defending him really, just showing perspective on just how s***ty our season has been thanks to injuries.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:47 am

Again, Varejao only played 25 games, he's been out almost the whole season, so it's not really fair to Scott that they aren't as good without him, to me that's a bigger blow than anything we faced this season, we never lost our 2nd best player for 57 games. But again, we're turning a Cavs thread into a Lakers thread so I'll stop, and I don't think we're really disagreeing, all I'm saying is 'Antoni is not a good coach, you seem to agree.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:08 am

No! I want to argue about everything! :soapbox:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:12 am

I took it to LD, in the "What if heathy" thread if you want to continue. :man12:

As for Scott, seriously, I don't see who they're going to get that's better. Maybe it's just a case of not the right fit, but there aren't a ton of coaches out there with Scott's accomplishments.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:15 am

Maybe they go after Collins? He's good with young guys...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:49 am

Yeah, for a season or two, then he gets fed up and frustrated and "wears out his welcome" too.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:24 pm

True, but in that time Kyrie puts up some fantastic numbers like Jrue did this season. :man1:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:27 pm

hmmm...figured we'd have this by now:

do it mitch.
abeer3

Postby noobiew on Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:11 pm

I always like Byron Scott, he's a Laker and Kobe respects him.

Other than Phil, I would say DO IT MITCH !

Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:00 pm

I like Scott. This is too bad. He'll find another job, though. He's a decent coach...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Thenextgreat on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:53 pm

B Scott stop taking horrible jobs...
Thenextgreat

Byron Scott fired as Cavs coach

Postby Basketball Fan on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:52 am

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... um=twitter

Report: Byron Scott fired as coach of Cleveland Cavaliers
Kurt Helin Apr 18, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
Leave a comment

This had been a hot rumor the final weeks of the season, and now apparently it has come to pass.

The Cleveland Cavaliers have fired Byron Scott as coach, reports the well-connected Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal.

Owner Dan Gilbert has been unhappy with the Cavs’ lack of defensive improvement over the past three years, one team source said, speaking on condition of anonymity given the sensitivity of the situation, and Gilbert was the driving force behind the firing.

The 24-58 Cavaliers were 27th in the NBA in defensive efficiency this season, giving up 106.9 points per 100 possessions (via the NBA’s official statistics). They were 26th in the NBA the season before that and 29th in Scott’s first season.

While nobody expected Scott to win with this roster, there were questions about whether Scott’s hard-driving style — first learned playing as a pro under Pat Riley — was a good fit with the young Cavaliers team. Players talked about feeling worn down. Let’s say the Cavaliers atmosphere was not a positive one.

The Cavaliers looked like they had thrown in the towel the final weeks of the season, and that included star Kyrie Irving.

But this is a very tempting job for potential coaches — they have a young superstar in Irving, some good young rotation players such as Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters, and they have a whole lot of cap space to lure talent. This is a team poised to make a leap under the right leadership.
Basketball Fan

Re: Byron Scott fired as Cavs coach

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:35 am

That was fast. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lqv2015 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:39 am

If he didn't take that chance to coach LBJ, could he have been Mike Brown's replacement? We'll never know.
LAKERS-4-LIFE
Lqv2015

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:54 am

Damn this makes me sad. I'm torn on Scott.

He's been to the Finals twice, got COTY in 2008, has lead plenty of teams to great records and advanced in the playoffs, but something is missing with him.

His teams have the tendency to fall short in critical times. Known for lead blows and getting blown out at times. Seems like he struggles to make adjustments.

Also seems that he succeeds in situations with star point guards. Kyrie isn't quite on that level yet.
The Cavs have a s***** roster and mad injury issues.

Would I welcome him to coach the Lakers? Not sure....but I think Gilbert pulled a fast one...only 3 years with their rebuilding project?
Chillbongo

Next

Return to NBA Discussion