Carlisle losing grip; Hubie losing gist

Carlisle losing grip; Hubie losing gist

Postby rydjorker121 on Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:02 pm

Lets start with the Hubie story first; just an absolute pain to watch during one of the timeouts in which Hubie nearly fainted yet his son caught him before anything else happened...the 70-year-old man, too, wow, is his health alright? Here's more from Marc Stein's scoop...no doubt Hubs is a good coach, but the Grizz losing five in a row...what is more important, winning or Hubie's health? Jerry West needs to have his say in this...
Health or Hubie? The Controversy Continues

Hubie Brown trudged out of American Airlines Center on Saturday night with a computer case slung over his left arm, insistent on toting his own bag. He politely denied a request from an arena security guard to be driven by golf cart to the team bus.

Brown preferred instead to walk away alongside his son, Brendan, who doubles as an assistant coach with the Memphis Grizzlies. There was another defeat the elder Brown was eager to start dissecting with his staff, the Grizzlies' fifth straight.

"I think winning the game is more important than health in Hubie's eyes," said Memphis swingman Shane Battier. "So all we can do is trust him and hope that he keeps his health in mind."

Brown, the 70-year-old whose old-school influence has helped make Memphis one of the season's early surprises, gave Battier and everyone else on the Grizzlies' bench quite a scare late in the fourth quarter of Saturday's 104-98 loss to the Dallas Mavericks. During a timeout with less than five minutes to play, Brown appeared to nearly faint, falling backward as he stood with his coaches. Brendan Brown caught his dad to prevent him from hitting the floor, but panicked scenes followed on the sideline as Hubie was led back to his chair and then checked by doctors.

The preliminary word was that Brown, suffering from an inner-ear infection, simply got lightheaded in the heat of a Memphis comeback from 18 points down. Brown, though, wouldn't even admit that much, claiming that he simply tripped getting out of his chair.

"When you're old, you trip [and] everybody gets excited," Brown said. "I was fine. Everything was fine."

Again, this just shows that age may be a predominating factor in affecting people's abilities to be on the court, especially when your team loses that puts a lot of physical pressure on you and that makes your health unstable...trust me, Hubie's old, can he handle this? Well....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In other weird news tonight, Rick Carlisle just got pissed off on his team, calling them "immature" and not helping the fans out and that they've been robbed, and well, you know the rest. Carlisle was ejected from the game and put most of the blame on Ron Artest, who showed conduct detrimental to winning. It's weird in PacerLand, and you thought that Carlisle would turn things around, turning Detroit around when they needed him...turns out the only guys listening were Al Harrington and Austin Croshere.

Pissed off Pacer Locker room

Here are the major Carlisle comments:
"We're young and we're immature as hell," Carlisle said after he was ejected during the Pacers' 82-75 loss to the Nets. "And we don't understand what we've got sitting right here in our hands. We're unwilling to reach out and grab it."

And you always thought that Carlisle was a quiet coach eh? It must have been the Ron Artest factor that led to his ejection and riled upness:

Artest played uninspired in the first half and argued with Carlisle on the bench and in the locker room, prompting Carlisle to bench him for the entire second half.

"Ron Artest did not play in the second half for conduct detrimental to winning," Carlisle said. "Part of it occurred on the court, part of it occurred at halftime.

"As a coach, there's times where you've got to make a stand and there's times when the soul of the team is more important than one guy's particular agenda," Carlisle said.

"I've lived here too long, I know how these people in this state and this city feel about this game, and to watch one guy ... compromise what the game's all about is gut-wrenching and unacceptable," he said. "I will not accept it."

Artest fired back, criticizing Carlisle's offensive system.

"He calls all the plays. It's not easy to play in a set every time," Artest said. "I feel like I can play. If they don't want me to play here, I can go play somewhere else, like Lakerland or something."

Your thoughts on these two stories?
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:44 pm

haha no no artest we dont WANT you down here in Lakerland...you would jus be a cancer...

actually second thought...phil jackson and our vets would whip him if he said anything...so come on down artest! haha im so glad tha pacers have turmoil once again...now tha east can be wide open like last year...hopefully tha nets and sixers can start winning now and catch up to tha central division which was dominating earlier in tha season....
FabFourLakers

Postby JSM on Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:45 pm

The Artest thing is interesting, I doubt he will leave though...he is probably just frustrated like J. O'Neal was this summer when he found out who his new coach was. I want to see how their relationship is over the next week, and that should tell us if anything will happen.

If Artest did go anywhere, I am sure Thomas would like to have him in NY.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:46 pm

jsm0331 wrote:The Artest thing is interesting, I doubt he will leave though...he is probably just frustrated like J. O'Neal was this summer when he found out who his new coach was. I want to see how their relationship is over the next week, and that should tell us if anything will happen.

If Artest did go anywhere, I am sure Thomas would like to have him in NY.

oooo yea i can definetly see that happening...Artest to NY? But who would they trade him for? Artest's salary doesnt match his talent yet....so they coudlnt trade him for van horn or houston or anyone...
FabFourLakers

Postby JSM on Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:45 am

things aren't going good with Artest and the Pacers. Here is the latest development.
Sportsline: Ron Artest missed the team's morning shootaround for Monday night's game against the Memphis Grizzlies because he overslept, two nights after being benched for his conduct during a loss to New Jersey.

Artest, benched for the second half of Saturday night's loss to New Jersey for what coach Rick Carlisle called "conduct detrimental to winning," called the team Monday morning to tell them he would be late, Carlisle said.

Carlisle said he has scheduled a meeting with Artest for Monday afternoon to talk about the player's behavior.

When asked if missing the shootaround will affect his playing time against the Grizzlies, Carlisle replied, "I would have to say yes, but we'll find out. We have to talk to him to reach a resolution. Does that mean he's not going to play at all? Not necessarily."

Carlisle ripped Artest and the team after a lackluster performance for most of the game against the Nets, saying Artest "compromised what the game is all about."

Carlisle said he tried to contact Artest on Sunday, calling him on the phone and even stopping by his house and knocking on his door, but Artest was not home.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Jamaican Lakerfan

Postby Jamaican Lakerfan on Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:48 pm

Artest is an immature fool. Isiah wasn't sure what to do with him, and it helped cost him his job. Carlisle will have to harness Artest, and give some of his fire to do well to O'Neal.

Somehow, he must get Jermaine to stand up, be counted, and LEAD his team on the floor, and not fade away to 18 feet away. The league already has one soft Webber, why be another? Plus, Artest is childish and spoilt, and will have to learn to control himself.

Rick has a tough job on his hands; somehow he must get these 2 players to play his way or he might lose his job. (Maybe he should just trade Artest away; and no, he would not be a good fit here; the triangle is more restrictive than what Carlisle does, and we don't need another Rider).

I like Hubie. I hope he is ok, and its nothing serious.
Jamaican Lakerfan

Re: Jamaican Lakerfan

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:00 pm

Jamaican Lakerfan wrote:Artest is an immature fool. Isiah wasn't sure what to do with him, and it helped cost him his job. Carlisle will have to harness Artest, and give some of his fire to do well to O'Neal.

Somehow, he must get Jermaine to stand up, be counted, and LEAD his team on the floor, and not fade away to 18 feet away. The league already has one soft Webber, why be another? Plus, Artest is childish and spoilt, and will have to learn to control himself.

Rick has a tough job on his hands; somehow he must get these 2 players to play his way or he might lose his job. (Maybe he should just trade Artest away; and no, he would not be a good fit here; the triangle is more restrictive than what Carlisle does, and we don't need another Rider).

I like Hubie. I hope he is ok, and its nothing serious.

you know, trading artest would NOT hurt tha Pacers, they have Al Harrington, who is having a break out season and is becoming unstoppable on tha block, and they still have Jonathon Bender, who is on tha IL rigth now, but when he comes back im sure he'll be a major contributor much like last year....they really DONT NEED artest right now...they can trade him away and not get much in return and it wouldnt matter...if hes hurting tha team then TRADE HIS IMMATURE @$$....Harrington and Bender can fill his position easily and they can move on...
FabFourLakers

Return to NBA Discussion