Channing Frye out indefinately with enlarged heart

Channing Frye out indefinately with enlarged heart

Postby Basketball Fan on Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:44 pm

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... t/related/

Suns’ Channing Frye out indefinitely with enlarged heart

Heart screening of NBA players is a regular part of their pre-training camp physicals. It is what found Jeff Green’s heart condition that needed surgery last season. A number of other NBA players such as Ronny Turiaf have faced the same thing.

Now Suns forward Channing Frye is out indefinitely with an enlarged heart, the team announced. It was discovered by team doctors, but he has gone to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota to have this looked at, reports Paul Coro at the Arizona Republic.

The team says he will not “participate in basketball activities” with the Suns until December, when he will be re-evaluated. The official diagnosis is of a dilated cardiomyopathy, a condition that can be fatal and is usually treated with a drug regimen, according to the Mayo Clinic Web site.

Frye has been a starter with the Suns most of the past couple seasons, averaging 10.6 points and 5.9 rebounds a game last season. He’s a classic stretch four, a 6-foot-11 guy who is a career 39 percent shooter from three. That kind of play fit well with the drive-and-dish game of Steve Nash. While things were going to be different in Phoenix this year, they were looking for him to provide points.

While this is sad for the Suns, Frye is a husband and a father of two, so better to catch this than have it go undetected and for things to end poorly. We wish him the best in his recovery and look forward to seeing him back out on the court as soon as he can
Basketball Fan

Re: Channing Frye out indefinately with enlarged heart

Postby gcclaker on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:31 pm

It is good that this condition of his was diagnosed early so that proper action is taken. Unfortunate for him and I wish him well for his sake as well as his family's.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby davriver290 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:35 pm

Damn. Wish him the best. So glad they take so many precautions before beginning the season.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby gcclaker on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:39 pm

^Indeed... Every time I read about or hear a story such as this I think back to the Hank Gathers situation.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:37 pm

Sad. I hope he pulls through.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby S.R.05 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:30 pm

admittedly i didnt read the article but did it recently become enlarged or something? seems odd that it would take this long to catch that
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Return to NBA Discussion