Christie Sexual Harassment?

Christie Sexual Harassment?

Postby BDG on Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:46 am

I found this on an AOL message board... i don't know if there's any fact to it though...

Kings sued by fired employee

Sexual harassment resulted after a run-in with Doug Christie's wife, a woman says.
Bee Sports Staff
Published 2:15 a.m. PDT Wednesday, July 2, 2003

A former Kings media relations manager has filed a lawsuit in Sacramento Superior Court against the team and player Doug Christie and his wife, Jackie, alleging sexual harassment.

Stephanie Shepard, who worked in the team's media relations department for more than four years until her termination Oct. 7, claims in her suit that her career with the Kings was moving upward until Christie arrived for the 2000-01 season.

It was then, Shepard claims, that her career took a tumble after a run-in with Jackie Christie and that her complaints to her superiors were turned away. In fact, her lawsuit claims, the team exacerbated the situation by taking Jackie Christie's side.

Named as defendants in the lawsuit are the Kings Limited Partnership, team owners Joe and Gavin Maloof, their Maloof Sports & Entertainment company, president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie, media relations manager Troy Hanson and the Christies.

Shepard's suit, filed May 27, claims sexual harassment, retaliation, gender discrimination, a violation of civil rights, battery, negligence and infliction of emotional distress. Shepard is seeking unspecific damages and attorney fees.

Reached in Las Vegas, Joe Maloof said: "The lawyers won't let me say anything. Sorry."

Kings president John Thomas also said he couldn't comment. The Christies were not available.

The Christies' relationship has been visible both on and off the court. It is common during Kings games for Doug Christie to thrust his arm in the air after making a basket and send hand signals to his wife.

Jackie Christie was in the news last year when she came to the aid of her husband during a fight against Lakers forward Rick Fox in the bowels of Staples Center after the two players were ejected for rough play.

In her lawsuit, Shepard, who was hired in 1998 as the assistant manager of media relations, said she was the only woman working consistently with the players. She was warned, she claims, about "Doug and Jackie Christie's discriminatory practices against women."

Christie, the suit alleges, "is notorof basketball operations Geoff Petrie, media relations manager Troy Hanson and the Christies.

Shepard's suit, filed May 27, claims sexual harassment, retaliation, gender discrimination, a violation of civil rights, battery, negligence and infliction of emotional distress. Shepard is seeking unspecific damages and attorney fees.

Reached in Las Vegas, Joe Maloof said: "The lawyers won't let me say anything. Sorry."

Kings president John Thomas also said he couldn't comment. The Christies were not available.

The Christies' relationship has been visible both on and off the court. It is common during Kings games for Doug Christie to thrust his arm in the air after making a basket and send hand signals to his wife.

Jackie Christie was in the news last year when she came to the aid of her husband during a fight against Lakers forward Rick Fox in the bowels of Staples Center after the two players were ejected for rough play.

In her lawsuit, Shepard, who was hired in 1998 as the assistant manager of media relations, said she was the only woman working consistently with the players. She was warned, she claims, about "Doug and Jackie Christie's discriminatory practices against women."

Christie, the suit alleges, "is notorious for refusing even basic contact with all women, except his wife Jackie. Jackie ... is likewise notorious for policing her husband's contacts with women. While the Christies are free to practice their unorthodox views concerning marriage, the incorporation of such misogyny into Ms. Shepard's workplace violated Ms. Shepard's rights."

Shepard claims that shortly after Christie's arrival, she delivered a written phone message to Christie as part of her normal work duties. She alleges that Jackie Christie "aggressively approached" her the next day and told her never to speak to her husband again.

Shepard said she complained about the incident to her boss, Hanson, but that he supported Jackie Christie's position and that she was told not to deal with Christie. Later, the lawsuit claims, Shepard was told in writing to "stay out of sight!" and away from areas in Arco Arena designated for players' families and friends, as well as from hotel lobbies.

Her work environment became increasing hostile, Shepard said, and she claimed that threats from Jackie Christie escalated. "Jackie Christie physically 'bumped' Ms. Shepard on several occasions. Ms. Shepard complained to her supervisors, to no avail," according to the suit filed by John W. McGinnis, Shepard%2ious for refusing even basic contact with all women, except his wife Jackie. Jackie ... is likewise notorious for policing her husband's contacts with women. While the Christies are free to practice their unorthodox views concerning marriage, the incorporation of such misogyny into Ms. Shepard's workplace violated Ms. Shepard's rights."

Shepard claims that shortly after Christie's arrival, she delivered a written phone message to Christie as part of her normal work duties. She alleges that Jackie Christie "aggressively approached" her the next day and told her never to speak to her husband again.

Shepard said she complained about the incident to her boss, Hanson, but that he supported Jackie Christie's position and that she was told not to deal with Christie. Later, the lawsuit claims, Shepard was told in writing to "stay out of sight!" and away from areas in Arco Arena designated for players' families and friends, as well as from hotel lobbies.

Her work environment became increasing hostile, Shepard said, and she claimed that threats from Jackie Christie escalated. "Jackie Christie physically 'bumped' Ms. Shepard on several occasions. Ms. Shepard complained to her supervisors, to no avail," according to the suit filed by John W. McGinnis, Shepard's Pasadena attorney.

Shepard claims her job duties diminished as a result of the altercations and that her career took a downward spiral as the team and its management allowed the alleged harassment to continue for months.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby BDG on Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:47 am

I think Doug's trying to escape Jackie's WHIP!
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:17 am

Doug??? sexual harassment?? Come on Kings fan, do ya'll think this is true? I'm sure they know more about this issue than we do.. And what does his wif have to do with these charges? It seems like his wife was goin a lil' over board with Doug speakin to females...
LakersGyrl2003

Postby BayAreaLakerFan on Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:49 am

Its right here in the Sacramento Bee:

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/ba ... 0023c.html
BayAreaLakerFan

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:08 am

Regradless if its true or not, it has to be pretty funny coincidence that Jackie gets sued for sexual harassment, when she's been doing the same exact thing to her WIFE, and I mean HER WIFE.....Doug Christie.

Doug get some balls and be a man.
Last edited by Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby BDG on Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:20 am

hahaha yeah, I couldn't believe my eyes when I read it. I'm glad this story's legit, because it looked legit but I didn't know of the source. Thanks BayAreaLakerFan.

True, if you need your husband or your wife... or whatever Jackie is to Doug... to help you out in a fight, then I agree that you need to get a set.

I agree with LGyrl... and I think Jackie's got him whipped and he's desperately trying to flee from it.

Great stuff... it really is great stuff.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:34 am

:man10:
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:37 am

Why is Doug whip by Jackie?? That chick is not even that fine for him to be whip on. Doug can get better looking girls than that UGLY THING.

Atleast his teammate, C-Webb, had the intelligence to date a supermodel in the lovely, Tyra Banks.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:40 am

But then look at Doug :spineyes: :man10: LMAO... he aint even good lookin, but I'm sure he prolly has a good personality. But dayam Jackie has him :whipit: . LMAO... He's prolly sick and tired of her followin him in the locker room, hell he cant even talk to females within the organization. :what:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:44 am

:whipit:
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Reddy on Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:31 am

wickaa.......and cool...

I agree with kobe1, doug even though of his looks himself can get a betta looking chick that isnt all kissy....and ugly and sorry to say b*tchy....
INNOCENT

BE IN THE DREAM TEAM KOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Return to NBA Discussion