Clippers and Celtics Discussing Blockbuster (Not the Store)

Re: Clippers and Celtics Discussing Blockbuster (Not the Store)

Postby The Rock on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:34 am

Danny Ainge confirms to the @BostonGlobe that the proposed Clippers-Celtics deal is, in fact, dead.

https://twitter.com/BaxterHolmes/status/347028960858759169

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:36 am

^^ Good. I didn't want to see Doc or KG in LA. Keep 'em on the other coast.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:46 am

Lakerjones wrote:^^ Good. I didn't want to see Doc or KG in LA. Keep 'em on the other coast.

This All Freaking Day. I can't stand either franchise. "Sources" indicated that this deal would get done, and it never did. WTS, the Celtics will buy out Pierce if they can't trade him & his salary by the draft, KG will retire, and Doc will try to find a way since he's on record has saying he doesn't want to go through another rebuild. Of course this is all opinion; from the sound of it, it sounded like the Celtics wanted to clear salary and get "financial flexibility" similar to how we planned our 2014 season.

As far as the Clippers, Paul will re-sign, Griffin isn't going anywhere, and they seemingly will have the same team that got bounced out of the 1st round last year. If I were them, I would still look to trade Jordan & Bledsoe in a package or through separate deals. They have the assets to make that team better; they just need to find a suitor, IMO...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:51 am

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 10m
As Clippers-Celtics talks fall apart, several sources tell Y! that Clippers had "cold feet' on the financial payouts needed to close deal.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 8m
Clippers refused to give additional 1st-round pick, but ultimately $35M extension for Rivers and $3M-plus Jordan trade kicker played part.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 5m
Danny Ainge has called Doc Rivers to tell him that talks are done, sources tell Y! Sports. Ainge told him he still wants him as coach.

And this ladies and gentleman, is why the Clippers will always be the Clippers. In all seriousness though, I think the deal made the Clippers better in the short-term. However, looking at it from a longer-term perspective, they might be better off; but only time will tell...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby MusixFinest on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:54 am

The Clippers walked away from a deal that would have brought KG and Doc to them for DeAndre Jordan and two draft picks??? Seriously? Jerry would have pulled the trigger in a heartbeat.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9399106/los-angeles-clippers-walk-away-boston-celtics-deal-sources
MusixFinest

Re: Tenants and D-Bags Discussing Blockbuster (Not the Store)

Postby gcclaker on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:55 am

To quote Mr. Roarke..."Smiles everyone! Smiles!" :man1:
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:10 am

If the Clippers backed out due to the finances, then Paul should leave right now. F*** them. They don't have what it takes to build me a Champion and they just proved it. I wouldn't stay there.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:15 am

DeAndre Jordan/2 1sts or KG/Doc/PP

Add onto the fact that CP3 was a guaranteed lock to stay
Add onto the fact that they could of kept Bledsoe

Clips be Clippin' :man10:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:23 am

Sterling didn't want to open his wallet. I wasn't a fan of this "proposed" deal. The best thing about this deal was getting Doc; Paul would have stayed if he were the coach today, IMO. However, there is no way that Jerry would have ever let a transaction not be completed due to finances. Sterling is the polar opposite. He always will be. This doesn't make a good impression on Chris at all, IMO.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Weezy on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:29 am

Indeed that is why the clippers will always be the clippers. They won't spend the money on a great coach, they won't make the big deal in the end to take that true next level step. I agree with real, CP3 should walk after seeing this nom commitment to spending in order to win, but them there aren't a lot of better options at the same time.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby MusixFinest on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:32 am

Can we trade Jordan Hill to them for the same deal??
MusixFinest

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:34 am

wow. boston caved on including both lee and terry and the clips STILL balked? ok...

i actually think the clips did boston a big favor. kg for jordan and two extremely late first rounders wasn't going to help them one bit. they'd still be capped out and mediocre at best.

edit: also, if kg and doc still want to come to la, i've got pau gasol and the willingness to accept one of your bad contracts on the table. i'd even expand the deal to include mwp for pierce.

gasol/mwp/duhon for kg/pierce/one of terry, lee, bass

getting doc and firing MDA = icing on my delicious cake.

howard staying is giant cherry on top.

the lakers still managing to maintain cap flexibility next year if things went south = deep fried state fair twinkie?
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:40 am

abeer3 wrote:wow. boston caved on including both lee and terry and the clips STILL balked? ok...

i actually think the clips did boston a big favor. kg for jordan and two extremely late first rounders wasn't going to help them one bit. they'd still be capped out and mediocre at best.

I was saying the same thing, but no one seemed to notice. Jordan makes 22 million over the next two years and he's not worth anything close to that. You get rid of Lee and Terry, but you still have Bass, Green, and Rondo on long-term deals that compromise your Cap Space. Add to that some late first rounders and you're looking at a really painful rebuild.

But from the Clippers perspective... You had a chance to field a team of (at least)

Paul/Crawford/Butler/Griffin/Garnett/Lee/Terry/Bledsoe

Coached by Doc Rivers.

That's a very, very good team. Add to that Barnes/Turiaf and some hop-on veterans and that's a team that has a real shot at coming out of the West.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:42 am

that's what i'm saying: if kg/doc/pierce are that cheap, the lakers need in on this!
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:48 am

abeer3 wrote:that's what i'm saying: if kg/doc/pierce are that cheap, the lakers need in on this!

What did they offer?

Jordan/Picks/Butler for Garnett/Doc?

Let's give them Pau/Hill for Garnett/Doc. And whatever picks they might want from 2045 or whenever we have picks again.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: D-Bags Fire Sale

Postby gcclaker on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:51 am

abeer3 wrote:that's what i'm saying: if kg/doc/pierce are that cheap, the Lakers need in on this!

In a perfect world, yeah sure they should but I highly DOUBT that Ainge would deal with the Lakers. Lurch when he was Minnesota's GM wouldn't and he ended up helping Whine Boy instead. Loyalties intertwined with our history with them run deep with those people.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:01 am

too bad. could solve almost all of the lakers' problems in one fell swoop.

i'd even do:

pau/mwp/hill/duhon/pick for kg/pierce/terry/lee/doc

that's a ton of salary shed for them in lee/terry over the next two years, a useful player in hill, and a massive expiring/useful player in gasol. imo, it bets jordan/two late firsts.
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:04 am

Agreed. And we'd field a much more competitive team.

Nash/Blake/Morris
Bryant/Lee
Pierce
Garnett/Clark
Howard/Sacre

Old, old, old. But the defense would be solid. And Lee would be reunited with Howard.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Green Day

Postby gcclaker on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:12 am

therealdeal wrote:Agreed. And we'd field a much more competitive team.

Nash/Blake/Morris
Bryant/Lee
Pierce
Garnett/Clark
Howard/Sacre

Old, old, old. But the defense would be solid. And Lee would be reunited with Howard.

It solves the scoring at the 3 and the bench would be better with Lee and Blake. Bryant has a competent backup. Clark fills in for what Hill used to do when he was healthy.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:13 am

The Lakers would never trade Hill without my approval.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:14 pm

After talks in a blockbuster deal fell apart over draft pick compensation, Doc Rivers is unsure about returning to the Boston Celtics as coach, league sources told Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday.

The Celtics have told Doc Rivers they would still like him to return as coach. (Getty Images)Celtics general manager Danny Ainge informed Rivers of the failed trade talks on Tuesday morning, and reiterated the Celtics' desire to have him return and fulfill the final three years and $21 million left on his contract, sources said.

Rivers will travel to Boston on Wednesday and discuss his future with Ainge. The Celtics and Rivers plan to reach a final resolution in the next few days, sources said.

The Clippers refused to part with two first-round picks and DeAndre Jordan as part of a package to bring Kevin Garnett and Rivers to Los Angeles. The Clippers had started to waver on the trade in the past few days, inspiring belief among many in the process that the notoriously frugal franchise had grown uneasy about paying Rivers the five-year, $35 million contract that it had negotiated with him, along with a $3 million-plus trade kicker on Jordan's contract.

The Clippers had reached agreement with Rivers in recent days on the five-year contract that included incentives that could have pushed his annual salary near $8 million, league sources said.

As much as Rivers wanted the Clippers job, Boston management wanted to use the deal to speed up its rebuilding process. Ainge and Rivers aren't at odds, sources said.

The Clippers plan to return to interviewing candidates for their coaching job, including Brian Shaw, Byron Scott and Lionel Hollins, sources said.

The Clippers informed the Celtics on Tuesday morning that they were unwilling to meet Ainge's price to complete the deal. There were no discussions about probing other ways to complete the deal, sources said.

This Clippers play was a gamble for Rivers, who has jeopardized his immense popularity in Boston with the bid to be part of a bold deal to go to Los Angeles with Garnett.

Rivers pushed for the Clippers partnership because of his desire to bypass a rebuilding process with Boston. As one source tied to Boston ownership and Rivers said, "You don't just move on from this and act like nothing happened."

Rivers has TV broadcast options available to him if he steps away from coaching, but he won't be able to work in the NBA again without the Celtics releasing him from his contract. Boston will demand compensation out of any team trying to hire Rivers in management or coaching.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--doc-r ... 26963.html
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Weezy on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:17 pm

I can't believe the Clippers wouldn't trade Jordan for KG. I would think they would jump at the opportunity to get out of his contract and it's win win as KG is better than him and only would be there for a season if his play declined and he didn't work out there.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Weezy wrote:I can't believe the Clippers wouldn't trade Jordan for KG. I would think they would jump at the opportunity to get out of his contract and it's win win as KG is better than him and only would be there for a season if his play declined and he didn't work out there.

From what I understand the deal was:

Clippers out: Jordan/2 1st Round Picks
Clippers in: Garnett/Lee/Terry/ Doc Rivers' rights at 5 years/35 million (plus incentives apparently)

Boston in: Jordan/2 1st Round Picks
Boston out: Garnett/Lee/Terry Doc Rivers' rights

Boston gave them a steal by handing them the keys to what would have been close to a contender. Boston STILL would have Bass, Rondo, and Green on long-term and lucrative deals so their Cap Space still wouldn't be ideally set up. The picks would almost certainly be garbage. The Clippers get one of the better coaches in basketball.

This was almost another gift to Sterling like Chris Paul was... And he blew it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:31 pm

That is typical Sterling, so yeah really not surprised actually.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:33 pm

Sterling goes on record with the Los Angeles Times & says he got rid of Vinny Del Negro because of the players; most notably, Chris Paul. Then, according to Chris Broussard & his "sources", Paul is angry at the notion of being blamed for Del Negro's hiring & being thought of as a coach killer. After that, Sterling has a chance to make it up, by getting one of the best coaches in the game that will basically insure Paul staying in L.A., and Sterling blows it, IMO. A 2nd rate organization at it's finest...
dwighthowardsdad

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion