Clippers and Celtics Discussing Blockbuster (Not the Store)

Re: Clippers and Celtics Discussing Blockbuster (Not the Store)

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:44 pm

Again: if I'm Chris Paul, I get the f*** out of there. I don't know what that means, I don't know where I sign, but I know one thing is for sure and that is this franchise will NOT go all out to win. They're not as dedicated to winning as I am. I want out.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby MusixFinest on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:03 pm

I hope this convinces CP3 to walk to the other side of the hall and sign a one year deal with us.
MusixFinest

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:26 pm

therealdeal wrote:Again: if I'm Chris Paul, I get the f*** out of there. I don't know what that means, I don't know where I sign, but I know one thing is for sure and that is this franchise will NOT go all out to win. They're not as dedicated to winning as I am. I want out.

Agreed. Clippers just being the Clippers once again. Or should I say the Donald being the cheap Donald once again. If I were Paul I'd do what we talked about - two year extension with player option on the second. Get paid while Kobe heals up, and then come on board with him and Dwight next year. Smart thing to do. This should be fair warning to him as if throwing him under the bus in the coaching fire wasn't enough already! :man10:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:40 pm

Thanks a lot you cheap a.b. Prevented his Clipps from being a legitimate player threat and still will cause turmoil in Boston. Don't see how Doc sticks around after this and if he doesn't, the vets won't want to be there, and it doesn't seem they know how to value young talent. Who in their right minds would want to trade for Jordan?
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:05 am

Lakerjones wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Again: if I'm Chris Paul, I get the f*** out of there. I don't know what that means, I don't know where I sign, but I know one thing is for sure and that is this franchise will NOT go all out to win. They're not as dedicated to winning as I am. I want out.

Agreed. Clippers just being the Clippers once again. Or should I say the Donald being the cheap Donald once again. If I were Paul I'd do what we talked about - two year extension with player option on the second. Get paid while Kobe heals up, and then come on board with him and Dwight next year. Smart thing to do. This should be fair warning to him as if throwing him under the bus in the coaching fire wasn't enough already! :man10:

Seriously! I know ESPN is trying desperately to spin this so that it sounds like the Clippers didn't balk at paying Doc Rivers, but that's really the only thing that makes sense. This trade was SO loaded for the Clippers it disgusts me and THEY are the ones who didn't want it? From a player perspective it doesn't make sense. The Clippers would have EASILY won the trade. The only caveat was Rivers and they didn't want to give him that long-term deal.

I'm with you. If I'm Chris I either bolt for Atlanta or Dallas and then I move on with my life. The Clippers were fun, but I want to win. And if I'm staying, I'm not signing anything long-term.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:56 pm

@WojYahooNBA: The Celtics and Clippers have started talks again on the Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett deal, league sources tell Y! Sports.

It's back on fellas.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:03 pm

Lol "buckle up".
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:23 pm

Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi 2m
MT @BillSimmons CP3 got involved in Clips-Celts debacle, that's why they are talking again. Clips cannot risk CP being unhappy on July 1st.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:33 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 44s
Y! Sources: With a nudge from Chris Paul, the Clippers-Celtics are discussing Garnett-Rivers deal again. http://tinyurl.com/lk92w48
View summary Reply Retweet Favorite More
Doc Brown

Postby 432J on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:15 pm

:man10: :man10: :man10: at chris paul pretty much calling all the shots for the clippers now

he might as well be the president, GM, and HC too since it seems like he's in charge
432J

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:51 pm

yes.... CP3 playing GM. Though I would not like Doc with the flopper
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:19 pm

:man10: :man10: :man10:

Man... Sterling must HATE this. I wonder how long this goes on (the battle between Paul and Sterling for power).
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby OX1947 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Deal has to happen now. No other way.
OX1947

Postby The Rock on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:31 am

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2013/06/19/boston-celtics-los-angeles-clippers-doc-rivers-trade/2440085/

So much for the Doc Rivers talks being dead for good.

One day after the Los Angeles Clippers ended negotiations with the Boston Celtics for a deal that would send Boston's center, Kevin Garnett, and coach to Los Angeles, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed they re-engaged in the discussions and a deal again seems possible. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because of the private nature of the talks.

The deal still is thought to be centered on all the familiar pieces: Clippers center DeAndre Jordan would go to Boston, and two first-round picks would go to the Celtics in order for them to agree to the package and give up Garnett and the right for the Clippers to sign their coach.The Clippers only offered one first-round pick in the first round of talks that ended on Tuesday, but the revival in talks has led to a high likelihood that it will get done. According to the person, ownership approval is the only remaining obstacle in the deal.

Meanwhile, the Clippers have continued their coaching search with other candidates. They interviewed former New Orleans and Cleveland coach Byron Scott on Tuesday and Indiana Pacers assistant Brian Shaw on Wednesday. Former Memphis coach Lionel Hollins is also in the running for the job.

Rivers has three years and $21 million remaining on his contract, but he clearly wants to cross coasts for the chance to compete for a title rather than take part in the Celtics' rebuilding job that is looming large. The Clippers have told involved parties that they were willing to pay him approximately $7 million annually.

It's not known if Boston is still attempting to unload salary in the form of Jason Terry and/or Courtney Lee (each player is due to make $5.2 million in 2013-14 and $5.4 million in 2014-15).The Celtics had pushed for third-year point guard Eric Bledsoe, but the Clippers see him as a pivotal piece of their future as they attempt to juggle the challenge of winning now while sustaining the success later.

The Clippers' refusal to let go of Bledsoe had everything to do with his potential as a trade piece to help them add another star player in the future. And the revelation of how they see him as part of their possible plans exposed a new truth in recent days: The Clippers have considered the idea of trading power forward Blake Griffin along with Bledsoe to land said star.

If this trade is completed, it's expected that Celtics small forward Paul Pierce would be bought out by Boston this summer and sign with the Clippers as a free agent. Pierce, a Los Angeles native, is only guaranteed $5 million of his $15.3 million earnings for next season if he's cut before June 30.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby abeer3 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:43 am

once again: if the celts don't shed salary, i don't get it for them. the picks will likely be low and thus largely inconsequential (i'd rather have an early 2nd than a late first).

anyway, if it goes down as constructed, i'm offering pau for pierce and bass (or terry). it helps boston shed salary; keeps pierce away from the clippers; probably helps convince howard to stay; and doesn't really make a huge dent in the cap space in 2015 (lakers would still have a max slot).
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:28 am

^ I'd ask for more from Pau. That trade helps Boston rebuild pretty much immediately this summer. They'd still have Green and/or Rondo... S***, I might ask for Rondo.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:54 am

Stern is stepping in now and saying the deal isn't legit. :man10:
Doc Brown

Postby Forklift on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:01 am

lol this deal is so funny trading for a coach. I was talking to my friends and saying that Mitch is going to wave his magic wand one last time and trade himself for LBJ that would be hilarious :man10: .
Forklift

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:31 am

Doc Brown wrote:Stern is stepping in now and saying the deal isn't legit. :man10:

Is he really?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:36 am

therealdeal wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Stern is stepping in now and saying the deal isn't legit. :man10:

Is he really?

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 14m
There have been complaints about this deal from around the league since details became public. It's David Stern's job to uphold the rules

Brad Turner ‏@BA_Turner 44m
"it has been confirmed to them. What we wouldn’t prohibit..what the rules wouldn’t prohibit.Let me start again.what the rules won’t allow"

Brad Turner ‏@BA_Turner 46m
"But, coaches contacts don’t qualify as extra consideration or acceptable consideration in player transactions. The teams know that."
Expand

Brad Turner ‏@BA_Turner 47m
"The only consideration that can be done here in players transactions are other players, draft picks and a very limited amount of cash."
Expand

Brad Turner ‏@BA_Turner 48m
DST cont: "aware that the collective bargaining agreement doesn’t authorize trades involving coaches contracts."
Expand

Brad Turner ‏@BA_Turner 48m

NBA commish David Stern on Stephen A. Smith radio show about the deal:"I would say in the language of diplomacy that the teams are: cont:
Expand
Doc Brown

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:42 am

i hope the deal falls apart and we see DeAndre Jordan brood all of next season
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:54 am

Well the Magic Stern has spoken.. this deal for Doc is DEAD! No way around it.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:56 am

NBA won't allow Rivers-Clippers swap
June 20, 2013 2:41 pm ET

MIAMI -- Remember that one about Doc Rivers getting traded to the Clippers in a deal involving Kevin Garnett? Never mind.

The Celtics and Clippers were informed days ago that such an arrangement is not permitted under league trade rules, even if the deals were separated into two distinct transactions, a league source told CBSSports.com on Thursday.

In a radio tour in the hours before Game 7 of the NBA Finals on Thursday, commissioner David Stern appeared on several programs in an effort to put this saga out of its misery. His strongest comments came on ESPN Radio in New York, where Stern said, "The teams are aware that the collective bargaining agreement doesn't authorize trades involving coaches' contracts."

The only incentives other than player contracts that are permitted in NBA trades, Stern said, are draft picks and cash.

"The teams know that," Stern said. "It has been confirmed to them. ... It can't be gotten around by breaking it up into two transactions."

Stern said -- and a person familiar with the communication between the league and the teams confirmed -- that there is no separating the two deals at this point because it is obvious all the pieces are part of the same negotiation.

"If you think those, at this point -- having been all over the media for the last week -- are separate transactions ... I have a bridge that I would very much enjoy selling to you," Stern said.

CBSSports.com reported on Tuesday that the Clippers informed the Celtics they were out of the Rivers trade talks, which would've sent Garnett to the Clippers for DeAndre Jordan and as many as two first-round from the Clippers to the Celtics in return for Boston letting Rivers out of the final three years and $21 million left on his contract. Despite indications that the teams had since re-engaged in talks, a league source said Thursday, "I don't think they are. They've both known for some time already" that the league wouldn't allow the deal.

The concern from the league's perspective is that Rivers' value and salary cannot be accounted for under cap rules and thus cannot be included in a trade involving players -- nor can it be negotiated as a contingency to a trade.

"It would be an issue of getting around the cap," a league source said.

The Celtics' motivation for discussing the arrangement came from Rivers' reluctance to preside over a rebuild in Boston with Garnett, 37, approaching retirement and Paul Pierce, 35, perhaps on the way out. Garnett has $18 million guaranteed left on his contract over two years, and Pierce has $4 million guaranteed next season. Garnett also has a no-trade clause.

But Garnett is said to have been willing to waive the no-trade clause if he were able to land on a contending team with Rivers as the coach.

The Clippers, facing Chris Paul's unrestricted free agency this summer, were incentivized to explore any possible means to acquire Rivers in the hopes that it would bolster their chances of keeping the All-Star point guard. Since pulling out of trade talks with Boston on Tuesday, the Clippers have continued with their coaching search by interviewing Pacers associate head coach Brian Shaw and former Cavaliers, Hornets and Nets coach Byron Scott. Former Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins also is a strong candidate for the job.
Doc Brown

Postby Furious D on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:56 am

Basketball Reasons Part II?
"That's where I want your jersey in about in about ten years." - Mitch Kupchak
Furious D
Good Call Stats Team

Postby The Rock on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:58 am

LMFAOOO :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion