Clippers close to signing Byron Mullens (p. 2)

Re: lakers show interest in Byron Mullens

Postby JSM on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:59 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1h
Y! Sources: Free agent Byron Mullens nearing two-year deal with the Clippers. http://yhoo.it/11YtoLd
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Clippers close to signing Byron Mullens (p. 2)

Postby Frank Dux on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:00 am

He's really, really bad. Bottom tier defender, horribly inefficient on offense, and for whatever reason he has the reputation as a "stretch 4", but with percentages of 30/40/72 he doesn't stretch anything. Those are downright awful percentages for any player, let alone a 7 footer. Forty percent from the field... Am I on Punk'd?
Frank Dux

Postby noobiew on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:47 am

Chris Mullens signing to Clippers mean Odom don't go to Clippers now?
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:32 am

I thought he'd be a good fit here, but there? I don't think so.

The thing is, we're not Championship contenders. We're not trying to win it all, so it wouldn't have mattered that Mullens isn't a great defender here. It wouldn't have mattered that he's not the best shooter in the world, just an okay one.

For them? They're REALLY going to miss Bledsoe and Odom on defense. Their offense better be perfect, that's all I can say. I know the same can pretty much be said for us, but we're not supposedly contenders this season.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Frank Dux on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:04 pm

^The Clippers offense should be a lot better this season. Reddick and Dudley are knockdown 3 point shooters, and both are actually capable defenders. Reddick has surprisingly developed a pretty well rounded game since leaving Duke.

I think the Clippers will miss Bledsoe, but I would rather have Dudley and Reddick, than just Bledsoe, who seems to have gotten severely overrated lately. Excellent ball hawk and defender, but he's a head-down, dribble drive guy on offense, and I don't think he's a floor general. He's a great backup for Chris Paul, seriously great. Chris is a methodical master of the game, and then you had Bledsoe explode off the bench. That was a big reason why they ran teams out of the gym.

The Clippers are heading in the right direction in regards to adding blue collar, high IQ players, but something has to be done about that front court. Blake/Jordan will continue to be their weakness come playoff time. A prime Tyson Chandler type player would do wonders for that team. Too bad for them they have Dumb and Flopper up front.
Frank Dux

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:07 pm

I don't disagree that they've done great work and built a good roster up top, but all I'm saying is that they'll miss the defense. They'll miss Bledsoe's defense and Odom's defense.

Their offense will click better, but is that as important? Their offense was already solid.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Frank Dux on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:28 pm

^I think the snipers they just added should help them blow open leads in the regular season, but the lack of disciplined big men will continue to be their achilles heel in a 7 game series. Nice roster improvements, but I can't believe they didn't adress the front line issue. They should've tried to dump Deandre with Bledsoe.

Perennial second round exit team, and WCF at best.
Frank Dux

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:38 am

Agreed. They won't get anywhere when the games slow down.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:01 am

The Clippers lack of an inside game (offensive/defensively) is their downfall.

Blake can still be exposed by letting him take the 10-15ft shot, and DeAndre just isn't a threat in the post outside a lob over the defender.

Defensively, they're both great help defenders, but one on one, these guys either flop or get torn apart.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Previous

Return to NBA Discussion