Clippers To Pursue 'Big Name' Coach

Re: Clippers To Pursue 'Big Name' Coach

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:09 am

LTLakerFan wrote:
therealdeal wrote:With D'Antoni I think they probably make it to the Conference Finals. Their regular season would be so strong that they'd get an easy matchup in the 1st Round and then they'd probably best a team in the 2nd.

Maybe we can do a sign and trade with them then. They sign Hollins and we trade them Pringles for him. :man1:

I'd rather my scenario work out:
- D'Antoni starts the season. Goes 0-8 in the preseason and then 1-4.
- Fire him.
- Bring in Phil as the VP.
- Bring in Shaw/Rambis to coach.
- $$.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:42 am

Oh most definitely..... but even less likely. I still think in that initial conversation Jimmy and Mitch had with Phil at his place on that Saturday, that Phil brought up wanting some "say" or a lot of "say" in personnel decisions (as WOJ only reported at the time [effectively forcing Jimmy to eat crow], that Lakers FO denied) as Phil is wanting now for his next Basketball position.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:22 am

LTLakerFan wrote:Oh most definitely..... but even less likely. I still think in that initial conversation Jimmy and Mitch had with Phil at his place on that Saturday, that Phil brought up wanting some "say" or a lot of "say" in personnel decisions (as WOJ only reported at the time [effectively forcing Jimmy to eat crow], that Lakers FO denied) as Phil is wanting now for his next Basketball position.

As time goes on, I just don't see it as that unlikely.

I can see it taking another year, but if the Lakers continue to struggle the Busses will look to please the fans and the way to do that is bring in Phil as an adviser. Hell, you don't even have to give him the official VP position, just hire his guy and hire Phil as a consultant.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:01 pm

Yeah .... but Kobe's not busting his butt to amaze the basketball world in his comeback from achilles surgery in record time and "form" to have to waste another year of his career with a crap coach who will also cost us Dwight Howard. (if that happens which I think it does) (even with his shortcomings and mental baggage).

In Mitch we have to trust. He's going to have to do a great sell job on Dwight for staying with the Lakers.

Also by the time another year has passed Phil may be with another club.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:03 pm

Phil said in a recent interview it's not likely to work out that he goes to another club. Not just because he's not interested much in travel, but because he's now married (well engaged) to Jeanie and he understands his place is here with her as a partner.

Not to mention there could be serious legal ramifications. If he were the VP of the Toronto Raptors, how could he possibly be unbiased in any dealings with the Lakers? He couldn't. It's a massive conflict of interest.

When asked whether he'd like to be part of the Lakers he said recently "whether official or not, I AM a part of the Lakers now".

I don't think the Lakers are really worried about placating Kobe at the moment. Let's be real, we don't know if he'll come back as an NBA level player, let alone as the franchise cornerstone that we need to please. That doesn't mean we don't appreciate him, it just means that I don't think the Lakers are worried about wasting a year of his career so much as they're worried he's wasting a year of theirs.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:45 pm

Had not read that from Phil....thanks!

I fully expect Kobe to amaze us all. He will adjust and still be deadly and hungry as ever. If anything this forced time taken from him away from the game will make him appreciate how much he still loves it and wants to play. Maybe he improves his 3 point shooting to amongst best in league if he can't rely on elevation and fade aways and flying to the rim any longer which he kind of resurrected this year to most peoples' surprise. The Lakers had better be worried about wasting another year of Kobe's competitive drive while they still have him. NO ONE ELSE LIKE HIM IN THE LEAGUE NOW COMING THEIR WAY ANY TIME SOON. Including James, the physical and skills improving marvel that he is.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:11 pm

I wouldn't be so sure. The Lakers will have their eyes on Paul George and on LeBron James as they become available. This is Los Angeles and we'll always be able to attract stars.

I never said they don't appreciate Kobe and all that is/was, but the time when this was his team has officially passed. Even if it's not Howard's team, it's not really Kobe's either. Even if he comes back and looks REALLY good for having just torn his achilles...

He will have just torn his achilles.

It'll take a long, long time before he looks like the Kobe Bryant we've all been watching for 17 years. I think the Lakers are smart to look more toward the future now than they were expecting to have to.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:46 pm

:man3: :man3: You better hope this is Kobe's team for the remaining years he is here or whose team is it?? Pringles? Sorry we need a player, a generational player if you will, in that role until one of those guys shows up in a couple of years, with the "restricted" and "rookie" contracts at work. Even hoping they can be that type of player mentally. Or this is Van Excel/Ceballos part Deux.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Well at the moment it's a captainless ship. Sorry man, but it's the truth.

Until I see Kobe Bryant on the block fading away or cutting down the lane and finishing with his left hand I will not count on those things happening. For all intents and purposes he might come back like Ray Allen: one dimensional. He's certainly not going to be as quick as he was and he was already fading in that department.

If he comes back and has a season just like last season I'll eat a whole lot of crow, but until then it really is Van Exel time.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:24 pm

I think we are talking about 2 separate things. Whose team "leader" wise and whether or not Kobe can dominate again ever, or even remotely close to being dominant. Long as he is here it's "his" team. Screw LeBron and his IQ ... Kobe's that Guy. Until there is a player here worthy to take that Torch. Howard with his personality ain't him, much as I would like him to stay and grow as a Laker and a player. But he's leaving anyway....that's where my money is.

I think also you are referring to the FO can't put all their eggs or plans in the Kobe basket any longer and I would agree.
LTLakerFan

Postby Weezy on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:57 pm

Wait, I think by "big name" coach the Clippers are being literal, that's the only way it makes sense. Like Vinnie Del Negro, those are 3 short names, they want a guy with a big name. Too bad Mike Budenholzer already went to Atlanta.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:50 pm

Speculation is that Hollins' is on his way out of Memphis. Sterling was in Memphis during the playoffs claiming to visit friends...
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:09 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:I think we are talking about 2 separate things. Whose team "leader" wise and whether or not Kobe can dominate again ever, or even remotely close to being dominant. Long as he is here it's "his" team. Screw LeBron and his IQ ... Kobe's that Guy. Until there is a player here worthy to take that Torch. Howard with his personality ain't him, much as I would like him to stay and grow as a Laker and a player. But he's leaving anyway....that's where my money is.

I think also you are referring to the FO can't put all their eggs or plans in the Kobe basket any longer and I would agree.

I suppose so, but it's mostly for show now that Kobe would be considered the "leader". There's very little evidence to show that Kobe will come back as one of the greatest SGs of all time. I understand what you're saying: he's the heart of the team until there's another player with enough heart to take that mantle from him.

What I'M saying is that really we're just a team without a heart.

That's why I'm so looking forward to this summer. I have this feeling the FO is looking at someone they can bring in with the pieces they have that has the ability to be that person. I'm not sure it's Dwight Howard. It might be. But there's something going on here.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:34 pm

therealdeal wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:I think we are talking about 2 separate things. Whose team "leader" wise and whether or not Kobe can dominate again ever, or even remotely close to being dominant. Long as he is here it's "his" team. Screw LeBron and his IQ ... Kobe's that Guy. Until there is a player here worthy to take that Torch. Howard with his personality ain't him, much as I would like him to stay and grow as a Laker and a player. But he's leaving anyway....that's where my money is.

I suppose so, but it's mostly for show now that Kobe would be considered the "leader". There's very little evidence to show that Kobe will come back as one of the greatest SGs of all time. I understand what you're saying: he's the heart of the team until there's another player with enough heart to take that mantle from him.

What I'M saying is that really we're just a team without a heart.

That's why I'm so looking forward to this summer. I have this feeling the FO is looking at someone they can bring in with the pieces they have that has the ability to be that person. I'm not sure it's Dwight Howard. It might be. But there's something going on here.

I'm not wanting to belabor semantics and I'm sure you meant something a bit different, but what you just said contradicted yourself 2 sentences apart. Team without a heart? That's my whole point and anyone that knows Kobe Bryant knows he IS still the "heart" of the team. It's not even debatable. Whether he's 100% old Kobe or 80% old Kobe.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:28 pm

No I didn't contradict myself at all LT. You still think Kobe is our soul, but I don't. Not right now. Not until I'm sure that he can be a leader on the court. We have no idea how he'll return. If he returns as a shell of himself then how can we rely on him?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:15 pm

As long as they wove his tendon back correctly and Kobe has only to rehab it diligently & "smartly" with his usual laser intensity and purpose, I guess what we each "expect" to see out of him again is wildly different. You can see "shell of himself"as a possibility. I feel maybe for another good to great player, but this is Kobe Bryant and no way that happens and 80% of himself at worst case. And the leader, or heart or soul of the team NEVER left. The per cent granted, pulled out of my behind but you understand my point. I'm just WAY more optimistic about it.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:43 am

LTLakerFan wrote:As long as they wove his tendon back correctly and Kobe has only to rehab it diligently & "smartly" with his usual laser intensity and purpose, I guess what we each "expect" to see out of him again is wildly different. You can see "shell of himself"as a possibility. I feel maybe for another good to great player, but this is Kobe Bryant and no way that happens and 80% of himself at worst case. And the leader, or heart or soul of the team NEVER left. The per cent granted, pulled out of my behind but you understand my point. I'm just WAY more optimistic about it.

I'm still optimistic LT! Don't forget I started the Optimistic thread that most people didn't respect. :man10:

But I'm just very cautious about this. And I know from experience around these types of injuries that full recovery is rare and even when it DOES happen, it takes a long, long time. It'll take a year before he FEELS okay. He might play before that and even look okay, but it won't FEEL okay in his body.

I know what you're saying about heart and whatnot, but Derek Fisher was our heart for a while. And he was never very good. My point is that while we fans can afford to sit back and wait until our franchise player is back on his feet (literally) the FO can't afford to take that chance. They've got to move forward. That doesn't necessarily mean leaving Kobe behind, but it does mean planning for a team without him on it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:56 pm

Frank Isola ‏@FisolaNYDN 2m
A person in the know told me tonight that Doc Rivers ending up with the Clippers is "gaining momentum."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Weezy on Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:21 pm

Wow, Doc Rivers with that team makes them a lot better IMO. If he got the job I wonder if they'd go after KG and Pierce.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:42 pm

KG seems pretty set in staying with the Celtics but I don't know if he'd be willing to go through a rebuild. It would be cool to have KG alongside Dwight, the fight and defensive mentality that duo would provide would be pretty sweet.
XXIV

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:13 pm

With Doc and the addition of KG (if they acquire him), they can contend for a championship.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:22 pm

I'm really hoping for Doc and Garnett and get rid of dead weight DJ. Doc is a great coach, he would maximize the talent on this team and KG can still have a huge impact for this team. Clips would be foolish to pass this up.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:56 pm

^Lets Go Clippers?
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:51 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:^Lets Go Clippers?

I've been living in LA since 1982, i root for all LA teams. The Clips have been the laughing stock of all of sports for decades. It's good to see them have some success.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:32 am

Why?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Previous

Return to NBA Discussion