therealdeal wrote:If he stays, great. That team will always be only semi-relevant.
If he goes, great. All those Clipper bandwagoneers can jump off and drown. I can't wait for that franchise to stink it up again.
Weezy wrote:What I want to know is why he gets no heat for a first round exit with a team that good?
Clippers 'Very Confident' Of Chances To Re-Sign Chris Paul
By Arash Markazi | ESPNLosAngeles.com
PLAYA VISTA, Calif. -- When Chris Paul left the Los Angeles Clippers' training facility on Saturday, he was uncertain about his future with the team. On Monday, Clippers vice president of basketball operations Gary Sacks said he was "very confident" the All-Star point guard would eventually re-sign with the team.
Sacks met with Paul on Saturday during the team's exit interview and believes that he will be back, but was cautious about getting into details with Paul becoming an unrestricted free agent and not being able to sign an extension until July 1.
"A lot of that information we'll keep private, because that's an internal thing, but I feel very confident," Sacks said. "I think he's an integral part of this. We feel like we had a great partnership for the last couple of years and we want to continue it obviously. These are decisions that have to be made and some of them will be taken care of at the appropriate time. We can't talk to him until July 1, so we'll go ahead and do that. We'll move forward when it's appropriate."
Paul is eligible to sign a five-year, $108 million extension after July 1. He turned down a three-year, $60 million extension last summer. But that's mostly because the Clippers could only offer him a three-year extension at that point, under the terms of the new collective bargaining agreement.
"The No. 1 priority for us right now has to be re-signing our star player, Chris Paul," Sacks said. "That's our goal, that's what we want to do. We want to put ourselves in a position to do that. We feel this organization is in a position to move forward with that goal in mind. It's always difficult, it's never easy, but we feel confident we can be successful."
The Clippers will have to make another big decision before they are eligible to re-sign Paul as Vinny Del Negro's contract expires after June 1. The Clippers coach met with the media on Monday and understands that his future may be tied to the wishes of Paul and Blake Griffin, who signed a five-year, $95 million extension last year.
"I think all that plays a part," Del Negro said. "I enjoy working with them. They're great guys and they're incredibly talented. They're the nucleus of the team obviously that you want to keep intact and move forward with. I've enjoyed working with them and have seen their development."
Sacks said he would indeed meet with Paul, Griffin and others before deciding on who will be the team's next head coach.
"We want to have feedback from our players to hear what they have to say," Sacks said. "Whatever we do, we do as an organization. Of course you're going to listen to your star players. You're going to listen to all your employees when you're making these decisions but I don't think that's unusual."
After losing in the first round of the playoffs to the Memphis Grizzlies last week, Sacks understood how important this offseason would be to the future of the franchise with the team's franchise player and head coach becoming free agents.
"It's huge," Sacks said. "Every offseason is huge. Last offseason was huge. Vinny and I worked really closely to put this team together and get what we thought were the right pieces for our team to compete and be as good as we possibly could be as an organization. We came up short and that's a disappointment. But we have to look at a lot of the positives. I thought he and the staff did a really good job during the season. We need to move forward looking for ways of improving ourselves to go further and achieve our goals."
Paul was noncommittal about returning to the Clippers when he met with the media on Saturday but had previously stated that he loved living in Los Angeles and changing the culture of the long-suffering Clippers franchise.
"I'm going to take my time," Paul said. "I haven't even thought about it. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do the rest of the day. I might go home and swim with my son or something. This is nuts. I don't know what to do. I purposely didn't put anything on my calendar because we're supposed to still be playing."
Sacks was hesitant to speak for Paul on Monday but was hopeful that there would be another news conference in July announcing Paul's long-term commitment to the Clippers.
"I think he enjoys living here and being in L.A.," Sacks said. "Obviously we enjoy having him here and having him a part of this team, so that's the most important thing, just moving forward with that."
puffyusaf#2 wrote:Where else in the league will he be able to FLop? He has to stay with the Clippers. He couldn't move up to the Varsity LA squad because those calls wouldn't go his way.
Stephen A. Smith turned heads in Boston early Monday when he suggested on both First Take and on SportsCenter that whispers of a Celtics-Clippers megadeal were making the rounds.
Here's what he said (video above):
“I am hearing that it is possible, that the Clippers -- because Boston is going to probably ask for Blake Griffin. ... Now obviously KG ain’t enough (to get Griffin). You package KG with Paul Pierce, that still isn’t enough. But the opportunity for them to play together is something both would like to continue to do. But it gets very interesting if you let go of your coach, and you say Doc Rivers, we’d like you to come with KG and Paul Pierce.”
Could the Celtics even trade a coach if they wanted to? Here's more from Stephen A.:
“I’m not saying it’s going to happen. I’m telling you that this is what is hitting the rumor mill: that ultimately a package involving Blake Griffin, Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler essentially for KG, Paul Pierce and Doc Rivers.”
We're still a ways away from discovering whether there is any truth to it, but for now it certainly is interesting discussion fodder.
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1 wrote:LOL @ Stephen A Smith
i pray they do that...
Weezy wrote:I'd love to see that as well, they'd get one season of old KG and Pierce and then have to start all over.
Source: 'Zero Chance' Chris Paul Bypasses Extra Guaranteed Year
By Marc Stein
Chris Paul has yet to commit to re-signing with the Los Angeles Clippers, but it is considered a probable outcome.
One source said that there are "too many positives" for Paul to remain with the Clippers.
Another source predicted that there's "zero chance" of Paul giving up the fifth year and nearly $30 million in additional guaranteed money.
The Clippers need to improve their roster in order to become a legitimate title contender, and Paul could potentially force his way out via trade after signing a new deal should the pieces not come together.
Matt Barnes Betting On Chris Paul Re-Signing With Clippers
By Arash Markazi | ESPNLosAngeles.com
LOS ANGELES -- Matt Barnes is one of six unrestricted free agents on the Los Angeles Clippers roster this off-season, but if he were a betting man, he would wager that Paul would be back with the Clippers, and he hopes the same for himself.
"Chris and I have seen each other a few times after the season and that's something we've discussed," Barnes told the Mason & Ireland Show on ESPNLA 710 on Wednesday. "Not to really get into his business too much, but I think the Clippers are one of his of top teams to say the least and if I was betting guy I would say he would be back with the Clippers next year."
Paul helped recruit Barnes to the Clippers before this season, and Barnes was signed to a one-year contract for the veteran's minimum. Barnes, who had a career season, averaging 10.3 points and 4.6 rebounds, hinted during his exit interview that Paul was again recruiting him to come back to the Clippers. Barnes said he was hoping to do that this summer if were to be given a raise.
"I'm going to sit down and talk to my family and see where the market's at," Barnes said. "I've been one of those guys the last three or four years that's always been a great bargain. I've played for the mid-level and have played well but have yet to see a pay day. Not to say that I'm asking for the world, but I'm definitely looking for a salary increase."
Barnes, who scored 30 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in Game 6 of the Clippers first-round series against the Memphis Grizzlies, said he was open to going elsewhere but his preference would be to stay in Los Angeles.
"I had a great season with the Clippers and my family is very comfortable here in L.A.," Barnes said. "So the Clippers are going to be one of my top choices, but we're looking for a pay increase."
Before signing with the Clippers, Barnes, who played collegiately at UCLA, played two seasons with the Los Angeles Lakers. Barnes said he enjoyed his time with the Lakers but did not have the best relationship with former Lakers coach Mike Brown, which is why he believes he wasn't re-signed by the team last year.
"From what I heard after it ended, Mike Brown didn't want me back," Barnes said. "However true that is but that was from a pretty reliable source that I talked to throughout the year. That was the deciding factor. Mike Brown wanted to go in a different direction and give some of the younger guys a try."
Barnes said he enjoyed his time playing for Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro but wasn't sure if Del Negro would still be the coach after the Clippers' season ended with a first-round exit last week.
"I'm not sure," Barnes said. "After all we accomplished as a team this year to win the division and win the most games in Clippers history, unfortunately the playoffs are when your names are made or broken and to go out in the first round is obviously a disappointment for all of us. Management has a lot of tough decisions this summer."
Users browsing this forum: bleras, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 9 guests