Darius Morris Discussion

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby Weezy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:39 pm

kobe_mamba wrote:People still hating on Morris - after what 11 mins court time?? Geez. Give the guy a break. Also, if Phil does come back, I'm sure he would like his size at PG and could maybe help him develop.

In saying that, Duhon surely has to get some court time soon, Blake is really frustrating me right now...


11 minutes of court time, are you serious? Get real, this guy stunk it up last season, he stunk it up in summer league, he stunk it up in preseason, and he still sucks now. He clearly worked hard in the offseason to stay in shape, but the improvements to his game, there have been none. Still out of control, still can't shoot, still doesn't look like he belongs on an NBA court. I was willing to give him time because I thought he had potential despite nothing special last season, but after he couldn't even look good in summer league games against not even NBA level competition and then in preseason was abysmal, the hate is justified.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50939
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby dj vitus on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:55 pm

Yeah, Morris only has the height and occasional corner 3 for Phil to use, but other than that, we have Blake AND Duhon who are both veterans. Plus, Phil doesn't like guys that just dribble around too much w/o setting anyone up.

Hell, even DJO might get the nod over Morris if Phil wanted to go for speed (a la Tyronn Lue and Jordan Farmar).
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
User avatar
dj vitus

 
Posts: 9412
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:59 pm
Location: Walnut, CA by way of Laaaas Vegas!

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby kobe_mamba on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:00 pm

yeah i'd be very open to seeing what DJO had to offer, I think he could be a surprise
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
User avatar
kobe_mamba

 
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 12:07 am

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby kobe_mamba on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:05 pm

Weezy wrote:
kobe_mamba wrote:People still hating on Morris - after what 11 mins court time?? Geez. Give the guy a break. Also, if Phil does come back, I'm sure he would like his size at PG and could maybe help him develop.

In saying that, Duhon surely has to get some court time soon, Blake is really frustrating me right now...


11 minutes of court time, are you serious? Get real, this guy stunk it up last season, he stunk it up in summer league, he stunk it up in preseason, and he still sucks now. He clearly worked hard in the offseason to stay in shape, but the improvements to his game, there have been none. Still out of control, still can't shoot, still doesn't look like he belongs on an NBA court. I was willing to give him time because I thought he had potential despite nothing special last season, but after he couldn't even look good in summer league games against not even NBA level competition and then in preseason was abysmal, the hate is justified.


How about you get real dude, either that or take a pill??? :man12:

The facts are that Morris is a second year player (who didn't play much his first season) playing in a losing team, stacked full of superstars who aren't gelling, under a Coach who was obviously a dead man walking with an offence that wasn't working or being accepted by the team. All of that combined with him getting limited minutes as part of a dysfunctional bench who are all getting limited minutes while the starters all play about 40 mpg....that's even a lot to handle for a seasoned vet......see Steve Blake
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
User avatar
kobe_mamba

 
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 12:07 am

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby Frank Dux on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:08 pm

kobe_mamba wrote:People still hating on Morris - after what 11 mins court time?? Geez.


We're hatin' because he played 11 minutes vs. the Jazz and finished the game with a +/- of -14. That's atrocious.
User avatar
Frank Dux

 
Posts: 4193
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:24 pm

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby Weezy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:13 pm

All I see in your post is excuses. You have to be in denial if you believe all that you just wrote, nothing you said is any legit excuse for why Morris has sucked. It's not on other guys that his game is not good enough for the NBA, it's on him. Yeah, he's a 2nd year player, but I believe he was at least a 3 year college player, so it's not like he came in the NBA at 19 and was raw. He is what he is at this point, his game looks exactly the same as it did when he came in last season, which says to me that although he was very solid in college, he doesn't have what it takes to be an NBA player. You're gonna tell me that Morris playing under a crappy coach answer for his god awful summer league? Or that if he was given more minutes per game he would look better? He WAS given more minutes per game in preseason and he just looked horrible for longer periods. If you honestly think what you're saying is true, that's fine, but I'd love to see you get even one person to agree with you about Morris, all you've done is made bad excuses for him.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50939
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby kobe_mamba on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:14 pm

Frank Dux wrote:
kobe_mamba wrote:People still hating on Morris - after what 11 mins court time?? Geez.


We're hatin' because he played 11 minutes vs. the Jazz and finished the game with a +/- of -14. That's atrocious.


That's fine. I accept that. But who else - particularly on the bench - had a good game??? Jordan Hill was the only guy who stood up off the bench. Oh and how did Steve Blake go, hmm???? Why does Blake, a seasoned vet, seemingly get a pass from everybody as the starting PG and Morris cops all the heat...?? :freak2:
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
User avatar
kobe_mamba

 
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 12:07 am

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby kobe_mamba on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:16 pm

Weezy wrote:All I see in your post is excuses. You have to be in denial if you believe all that you just wrote, nothing you said is any legit excuse for why Morris has sucked. It's not on other guys that his game is not good enough for the NBA, it's on him. Yeah, he's a 2nd year player, but I believe he was at least a 3 year college player, so it's not like he came in the NBA at 19 and was raw. He is what he is at this point, his game looks exactly the same as it did when he came in last season, which says to me that although he was very solid in college, he doesn't have what it takes to be an NBA player. You're gonna tell me that Morris playing under a crappy coach answer for his god awful summer league? Or that if he was given more minutes per game he would look better? He WAS given more minutes per game in preseason and he just looked horrible for longer periods. If you honestly think what you're saying is true, that's fine, but I'd love to see you get even one person to agree with you about Morris, all you've done is made bad excuses for him.


If that's all you see in what I'm saying, let's agree to disagree...

I don't love the kid as a player, but I do think all the hate is way, way overboard AND I see it time and time again on this board that certain players become scapegoats when the Lakers are going poorly. I also remember a lot of people were creaming their pants when this guy was a rookie and everyone thought he was the bomb....fickle fans, just sayin....
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
User avatar
kobe_mamba

 
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 12:07 am

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby Weezy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:19 pm

Blake gets a pass? People have been hating on Blake since his first year here, he gets dumped on all the time. Look around the board, most of what you'll see is stats about just how bad Blake has been, people saying they can't believe how much he fell off when he came here, can't believe we're stuck with him for more years, threads discussing possible trades involving him and Duhon to get a 'real backup PG', the guy doesn't get anything close to a pass. I suppose you could say he gets it easy when compared to Morris though, because Blake has the occasional decent game, with some nice assists and some 3's, where Morris never does and is consistently garbage.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50939
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby kobe_mamba on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:21 pm

Weezy wrote:Blake gets a pass? People have been hating on Blake since his first year here, he gets dumped on all the time. Look around the board, most of what you'll see is stats about just how bad Blake has been, people saying they can't believe how much he fell off when he came here, can't believe we're stuck with him for more years, threads discussing possible trades involving him and Duhon to get a 'real backup PG', the guy doesn't get anything close to a pass. I suppose you could say he gets it easy when compared to Morris though, because Blake has the occasional decent game, with some nice assists and some 3's, where Morris never does and is consistently garbage.


I was talking more right at the minute, not overall. To me Blake seems to be largely getting a pass.....
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
User avatar
kobe_mamba

 
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 12:07 am

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby Weezy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:23 pm

kobe_mamba wrote:If that's all you see in what I'm saying, let's agree to disagree...

I don't love the kid as a player, but I do think all the hate is way, way overboard AND I see it time and time again on this board that certain players become scapegoats when the Lakers are going poorly. I also remember a lot of people were creaming their pants when this guy was a rookie and everyone thought he was the bomb....fickle fans, just sayin....


Morris is not a scapegoat, people aren't blaming our losing on him, they just don't want him playing, I don't think that's unreasonable. I don't remember anyone 'creaming their pants' when we got him either, most if anything had hopes of him becoming a decent backup PG, nothing more. That quickly went away when he started actually playing and most saw how always out of control he was (like a chicken with it's head cut off out there), couldn't shoot, and his supposed good passing ability turned out in the NBA game to be needlessly flashy and lead to turnovers. IF a few posters were super high on him early on though, you really can't take that as being the majority opinion and everyone being fickle, it's just a few people, they don't speak for most.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50939
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby Weezy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:28 pm

kobe_mamba wrote:I was talking more right at the minute, not overall. To me Blake seems to be largely getting a pass.....


If he's getting a pass right now it's because he's been forced into the starting role and we know he's not going to be good there, but it's not happening by coaches choice, so why complain. If he were starting over a healthy Nash people would be spewing venom at him, but he's not, he's just doing what he's asked. Also, he actually had a good game in our only win this season 2 games ago, so there was no reason to hate on him that night, and the last game everyone was horrible, so it's not like he stuck out to get hate. That's your answer, if he's getting a pass 'right now', it's because of the last 2 games, and because the focus has been so much on Brown. We know Blake isn't good anymore, so people are probably tired of harping on it, but Morris, he has no business even seeing the court, so of course he gets hate for it.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50939
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby dj vitus on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Lol, Morris first off the bench? Is MB still secretly coaching? :freak2:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
User avatar
dj vitus

 
Posts: 9412
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:59 pm
Location: Walnut, CA by way of Laaaas Vegas!

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:54 pm

:man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40208
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby dj vitus on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:06 pm

Wow, Morris hitting shots. I take back everything bad I said about him. For now. :man9:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
User avatar
dj vitus

 
Posts: 9412
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:59 pm
Location: Walnut, CA by way of Laaaas Vegas!

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby LakerFanIam on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:07 pm

dj vitus wrote:Lol, Morris first off the bench? Is MB still secretly coaching? :freak2:


So, who else replaces Blake?
Image
User avatar
LakerFanIam

 
Posts: 3679
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:31 pm
Location: Sec 117

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby Weezy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:24 pm

Hey, if they're gonna play him, we gotta hope he does well, I'm certainly not rooting AGAINST him if he's actually put out there. So far tonight he was very decent.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50939
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:25 pm

Very decent indeed. Dare I say Brown somehow stunted his growth as well? :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40208
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:27 pm

nope. he's still bad
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
User avatar
lakersyunowin

 
Posts: 10404
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby The Original 81 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:27 pm

With the exception of that last fast break, he had Peace for a dunk and somehow blew it.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
User avatar
The Original 81

 
Posts: 5260
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:21 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby Weezy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:36 pm

I thought even though his offense took a dive that 2nd quarter (terrible fast break turnover, missed 3, etc.), his defensive effort was still there, he was all over Curry. If he's going to play that hard on D and minimize turnovers I'm not gonna complain.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50939
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby The Original 81 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:42 pm

Yeah I liked his activity in the one-on-one matchup. He gets a little lost at times in the overall team concept, but that could improve over time.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
User avatar
The Original 81

 
Posts: 5260
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:21 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby Murdock on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:48 pm

kobe_mamba wrote:People still hating on Morris - after what 11 mins court time?? Geez. Give the guy a break. Also, if Phil does come back, I'm sure he would like his size at PG and could maybe help him develop.

In saying that, Duhon surely has to get some court time soon, Blake is really frustrating me right now...

the reason we hate him is because there is much better player sittin on a bench - Duhon ... say what you want he is much better at his point than Morris
User avatar
Murdock

 
Posts: 1734
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:33 am

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:19 pm

Man this dude really just doesn't have any ability with his eyes up in the half court. His head is looking straight the entire time, he has no court vision whatsoever. Any stiff in the Y has better vision than him in the half court.

In the open court his athleticism is admittedly refreshing, but it's also kind of useless since he doesn't make good decisions.

I at least acknowledge that the kid has an NBA level body, just not the brain for it. And his defense is probably a solid B.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40208
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:21 pm

dribble dribble dribble announced pass :man5:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
User avatar
KareemTheGreat33

 
Posts: 7824
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:52 am
Location: Philippines

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Punk-101 and 9 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.