Darius Morris Discussion

Re: Darius Morris Discussion

Postby ElginTheGreat on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:13 am

gill wrote:<----------Image

This.

I never liked the pick, but I have to tip my hat to him at this point. He seems to be getting better right before our eyes. He is playing more under control and I have definitely liked his defensive game.
ElginTheGreat

Postby nthydro on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:46 am

I gotta give props to Morris. I was critical of him not too long ago but the last few games he has really turned it around. He's stepped it up on both ends of the floor. Knocking down open 3s and making good passes. And he's doing everything under control and nothing outside of his realm. Hopefully he'll develop into a solid backup PG for us.
Last edited by nthydro on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
nthydro

Postby kenzo on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:50 am

I thinkc it's to give him some props. I wasn't expecting anything from him to be honest :man9: Looks like garbage sigs are working. Either you get traded or you're starting to look at least decent :man12:
kenzo

Postby lakersyunowin on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:51 am

kenzo wrote:I thinkc it's to give him some props. I wasn't expecting anything from him to be honest :man9: Looks like garbage sigs are working. Either you get traded or you're starting to look at least decent :man12:

or you get fired
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby revgen on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:53 am

The Rock wrote:
revgen wrote:
The Rock wrote:His trade value is sky high right now :man13: :man13: :man13:

^Can't trade him until December 15th. And IIRC he also has a no trade clause in his contract since we signed him for 1 year.

Well then we just have to make this marriage work :man10:

It could work out well if Blake knows that somebody can take his job if he's not delivering.

Duhon has a rep with D'Antoni and Morris appears to be our best PG defender. Blake better pick up his game if he wants PT.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Center Court on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:56 am

both Duhon and Morris have looked good so far...

Not sure if either will crack mins once both Steve's are back but I think both have earned some rotation mins.
Center Court

Postby kenzo on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:59 am

fkmikebrown wrote:
kenzo wrote:I thinkc it's to give him some props. I wasn't expecting anything from him to be honest :man9: Looks like garbage sigs are working. Either you get traded or you're starting to look at least decent :man12:

or you get fired

Well, YEAH :man9: :jam2:
kenzo

Postby Tragic on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:14 am

Impressed. He needs to keep it up.
Tragic

Postby BDG on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:40 am

He is slowly but surely proving me (and most of us) DEAD wrong.

That's why coaches & GM's have better insight than us -- they get to see what's going on at practice.

Playing awesome defense as well, which is something we've sorely needed at the 1 spot.

Between him and Duhon, I really don't think I want to see Blake out there at all when he comes back.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby revgen on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:31 am

BDG wrote:He is slowly but surely proving me (and most of us) DEAD wrong.

That's why coaches & GM's have better insight than us -- they get to see what's going on at practice.

Playing awesome defense as well, which is something we've sorely needed at the 1 spot.

Between him and Duhon, I really don't think I want to see Blake out there at all when he comes back.

As a starter, I do prefer Morris over Blake since Morris is currently our best defensive PG. Neither Morris or Blake are starting caliber playmakers and Kobe will likely be the PG regardless which one of them starts.

The 2nd unit is a different matter. Morris' still exhibits poorer ballhandling and playmaking skills for a rotation PG in half-court than Blake or Duhon. We can't hide Morris by having Meeks be the ballhandler and playmaker like we can with Kobe. Meeks is a pure SG.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby BDG on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:42 am

revgen wrote:
BDG wrote:He is slowly but surely proving me (and most of us) DEAD wrong.

As a starter, I do prefer Morris over Blake since Morris is currently our best defensive PG. Neither Morris or Blake are starting caliber playmakers and Kobe will likely be the PG regardless which one of them starts.

The 2nd unit is a different matter. Morris' still exhibits poorer ballhandling and playmaking skills for a rotation PG in half-court than Blake or Duhon. We can't hide Morris by having Meeks be the ballhandler and playmaker like we can with Kobe. Meeks is a pure SG.

I definitely do see your point, but the way i see it, Morris (IF he keeps this up) is a better fit for the second unit.

Younger, faster players generally play for the other team's second unit and we need Morris to match up. Blake will get torched as usual. I also view the second unit as being able to push the tempo a little more than the starters (same way Farmar/Vujacic did). Morris fits that mold better. Blake sucks at this.

But overall, I just really can't stand the way Blake plays. If he's not hitting his threes, he's basically useless. Blake's never a threat to score in any other position other than set shooting.

If Morris keeps playing like he's been playing, I prefer him over Blake period, regardless of what unit he's with. Blake's a turnstyle on defense and Morris has performed pretty well against some tough covers.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby kobe_mamba on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:44 am

Glad to see people finally giving Morris a reasonable chance and some breathing space to develop...

I guess some of us were a little more willing to do so a little earlier than others....
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
kobe_mamba

Postby KobeSystemtwofour on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:35 am

Can Blake take a seat and have Morris back up Nash?
“If somebody had their life on the line, and they’ve got their options on who they want to save their life – tell me who you’re going to pick?” Bryant asked. “You’re going to look at the stats first?”
KobeSystemtwofour

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:45 am

kobe_mamba wrote:Glad to see people finally giving Morris a reasonable chance and some breathing space to develop...

I guess some of us were a little more willing to do so a little earlier than others....

Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Thenextgreat on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:49 am

Darius Morris..ok...keep proving me wrong kid
Thenextgreat

Postby c.Lin on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:09 am

Morris has played much better in the last few games. He's staying within his limits and making better decisions. Defense is improving. He's taken his opportunity and made the best of it, so far.

After listening to a couple of his postgame interviews, he's a pretty well-spoken kid, too.
c.Lin

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:16 am

I'll give Morris some cut. I'll admit, he didn't look like he was able to provide anything.

He's playing much like Jordan Farmar. Aggressive to the basket, good finisher, hitting the outside shot.

If he can keep that up, I'll take him over Blake and Duhon behind Nash.

He just shouldn't be the facilitator.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby gcclaker on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:20 am

Well, I had reservations about Morris seeing time BUT although I think that D'Antoni will still play Duhon and Blake ahead of him eventually, the current uptick in minutes will only help him grow as a player. I do like his attitude.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:27 am

he actually looks like a decent NBA player now...liking what i see...

someone tell Steve Blake to take his sweet time...i'd like to see more of Morris
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:27 am

i cant believe i just posted that
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby raviator on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:01 pm

Gotta admit ,kid is starting to convince me he might be worth something. The main thing I see is he's not trying to do what he can't do but sticking to HIS game, harassing point guards and knocking down open jumpers. He's got decent ball handling skills but would like to see him develop better play making skills. Maybe Nash can kind of take him under his wing, teach him a few things?
raviator

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:26 pm

I think the thing we need to realize is this: Morris was known as a GREAT passer coming out of Michigan. That was the skill he relied on the most in college. He wasn't a shooter, and now he's shooting the ball better, which is why he's on the court now. Morris just needed that confidence, and I think with each game, playing with the starters, u can just tell. He's getting some swag out there. I like what I'm seeing. In a way, Morris is the only young exciting player we have on our team...and if he continues to step it up, we might actually have a legit back up PG, which coming into this season, was a HUGE question mark.
FabFourLakers

Postby karacha on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:35 pm

He still looks more like a SG, with Kobe playing the 1.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:36 pm

nash and blake being out is a blessing in disguise for sure. were still doing well without them so far, but it also give morris some huge minutes. and hes taking advantage of it. playing much better and i think its a huge confidence boost. i hope he still gets minutes when both steves get back but if not we know that we can count on him if we need him down the road.

like that he constantly pushes the tempo and has that full court pressure everytime...tkaes a few seconds off the clock and makes it a little less easy for the opponent to do what they want.
Ariza3

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:44 pm

I've got to hand it to him, too. I didn't see much that was promising from him before, but he really looked comfortable out there last night and the last few games. He's coming into his own a little. Nice stroke and good aggressive defense out there. I don't love him when he's supposed to be a distributor or be the guy running the offense. He's playing better alongside Kobe who is handling that part. Not sure what that means for him when he goes back to the bench. I still think I'd go with Duhon as first guard off the bench when Nash returns. But I agree Steve Blake is looking more and more like the odd guy out to me. He played decently when healthy this year so far, but he still isn't living up to expectations and he has the worst contract.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion