David Aldridge: Ty Lawson and Nuggets Closer To Deal

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:34 pm

Ty Lawson Aims To Sign Long-Term Deal With Nuggets

By Benjamin Hochman
The Denver Post

LOS ANGELES — Nuggets president Josh Kroenke walked by as Ty Lawson, asked Saturday about summer plans, said he will be a spectator at the Las Vegas summer league to "see what our young guys are doing."

"Young guys?" Kroenke said with a grin. "Aren't you a young guy?"

It was a funny little moment, but also symbolic. Indeed, Ty Lawson is now an NBA veteran.

Lawson made major strides this season — his first as a full-time starter — notably in the first-round playoff series against the Lakers. The Nuggets lost Game 7 at the Staples Center on Saturday.

Asked about possibly getting a contract extension from the Nuggets this summer, Lawson told The Denver Post: "It's definitely a goal. I want to be here long term. I'm pretty sure my agent and Masai (Ujiri, the Nuggets' executive vice president of basketball operations) will talk this summer."

Next season will be the fourth in the NBA for the 24-year-old guard from North Carolina, who averaged 19 points and six assists and shot 51.4 percent in the seven-game series against the Lakers.

Asked Sunday about Lawson, Ujiri said: "He's going to be a big part of the Denver Nuggets. We're excited. Ty is going to grow even more. He made a little jump, and he'll continue to make jumps as he gets older."

The Nuggets can negotiate with Lawson and his representatives in July. It's possible that he could get up to a five-year contract. Lawson has one more season on his current deal.

The Nuggets have made it abundantly clear they are building with young players. Denver locked up Danilo Gallinari and Wilson Chandler this season. Kenneth Faried, who averaged a double-double in his first playoff series, is still on his rookie contract. Arron Afflalo signed a long-term contract before this season began. And Ujiri previously said it's the Nuggets' goal to keep JaVale McGee, a restricted free-agent center. All are 26 or younger.

"I'm just excited to be part of a great organization," said McGee, who averaged 9.6 rebounds, 8.6 points and 3.1 blocked shots in the series against the Lakers, his first postseason after playing for Washington. "(Playing for the Nuggets) was the best experience I've ever had in basketball. It's just an honor to be a part of this team. This was a great team before I came, so I just tried to add to it. It's a great organization and coaching staff. They put me in more situations that were more suitable for my game."

But Lawson is the motor of this team, arguably the fastest in the NBA. And when the Nuggets were facing elimination, beginning with Game 5, he ascended better than perhaps any of his teammates. He scored only nine points in Game 5, but he had eight assists and no turnovers — and the Nuggets won.

Then he erupted in Game 6, scoring 32 points. He hit 5-of-6 shots from 3-point range and didn't commit a turnover. The Nuggets won again.

Back in L.A. for Game 7, he scored 24 points. He also had six assists and five rebounds. Yes, Kobe Bryant defended Lawson in the fourth quarter and kept him from taking over. Yes, the Lakers won the game and advanced. But Lawson clearly kept Denver in it.

"He was amazing all year long and when the playoffs came around, he got even better," Afflalo said of his backcourt mate. "I don't see any stop in his growth. He'll be much better next season."

Lawson didn't become Denver's starting point guard until February of the previous season, after the Nuggets included veteran Chauncey Billups in the big Carmelo Anthony trade to the New York Knicks.

One hundred starts into his NBA career, Lawson has averaged 15.9 points and 6.6 assists in those games.

He's still learning the nuances of pro basketball. Nuggets coach George Karl often talks about Lawson's aggressiveness, which needs to be perpetual. There were games in which Lawson would defer too much, other games in which he wouldn't penetrate enough. And much has been made about his laid-back personality, which differs from that of Billups.

But all signs point to this point guard ascending even more next season, perhaps solidifying himself in the second echelon of Western Conference players at his position — behind Chris Paul, Tony Parker and Russell Westbrook.

"Next year, we're going to be even better," said Lawson, who also will spend much of the summer in Denver and Miami. "We showed a lot of heart. I think we all grew together. We're a young team. We're growing and getting better. ... It's a learning curve. I don't want to compare us to Oklahoma City, but the first time they were all together in the playoffs, they took the Lakers to six games and the next year, they made that step."

Benjamin Hochman: 303-954-1294 or bhochman@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_20 ... Nuggets%29
Last edited by Kobe8Fan on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kobe8Fan

Re: Lawson, Nugs Expected To Agree To Extension Before Deadline

Postby XXIV on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:35 pm

He's a great player, I wonder how much he'll resign for.
XXIV

Ty Lawson and Nuggets Having 'Positive' Discussions On Exten

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:39 pm

Ty Lawson and Nuggets Having 'Positive' Discussions On Extension

By Benjamin Hochman

Nuggets executive Masai Ujiri said Monday that the talks are “positive” with Ty Lawson, in regards to the point guard’s contract extension.

The team has until Oct. 31 to extend its starting point guard, who had a huge series against the Lakers in the first round last spring.

“Talks are good,” Ujiri said. “We continue to talk. It never gets really serious until that date comes.”

Lawson had told The Denver Post back in the spring that he wants to remain with the Nuggets long-term.

Lawson ascended against the Lakers with outpours of 24 25, 25 and 32 points (Denver lost in seven games). Coach George Karl often talks about needing Lawson to be more aggressive – as a player and as a leader.

No marquee point guard from Lawson’s draft class has yet to sign an extension.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets/201 ... exec/6986/
Kobe8Fan

Nuggets Continue Extension Talks With Ty Lawson

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:41 pm

Nuggets Continue Extension Talks With Ty Lawson

The Denver Nuggets continue to discuss a contract extension with Ty Lawson.

Lawson is now represented by Happy Walters, leaving Leon Rose.

"I went through the same exact process, except I didn't take the deal," said Lawson's new teammate Andre Iguodala. "It's worked for some guys, but hasn't for others as far as being able to use your leverage. He's in a tough situation, but his biggest thing is to try to focus on basketball — because that's what got him to this point. He's got to understand that it's a business. He is very important to our team, and he knows that. When he's got it going, it's so easy for the other guys to do their jobs. It's going to be great to see him get it done and be with this organization for a long time."

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_21 ... ity-aurora
Kobe8Fan

Lawson, Nugs Expected To Agree To Extension Before Deadline

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:43 pm

Ty Lawson and Nuggets Expected To Agree To Extension Before Deadline

By Marc Stein | ESPN.com

Ty Lawson and the Denver Nuggets are expected to eventually agree to a contract extension before the October 31st deadline, according to sources.

HoopsWorld reported that Lawson has been offered a four-year, $44 million extension.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/85139 ... class-2009
Kobe8Fan

Re: Lawson, Nugs Expected To Agree To Extension Before Deadline

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:58 am

11 million a year for Lawson?... They're going to be tied to a Lawson/McGee combo forever.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: David Aldridge: Ty Lawson and Nuggets Closer To Deal

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 am

By David Aldridge, TNT Analyst
Posted Oct 30, 2012 2:59 AM

The Denver Nuggets are getting closer to making a deal with guard Ty Lawson on a contract extension before Wednesday's deadline for 2009 Draft picks, according to a league source.

There is not a deal in place, but with the clock ticking, hopes are increasing that a deal can be made. The Nuggets and Lawson have been working on an extension for the past few weeks, and the fourth-year guard has been one of the few members of his Draft class that was given a decent chance to get something done. Lawson, who will turn 25 later this week, has become one of the league's most dynamic point guards. He averaged 16.4 points and 6.6 assists last season, and his PER of 19.43 rated ninth among point guards. With Lawson pushing the ball, Denver became a lethal transition team and the Nuggets have hopes they can be even more efficient after acquiring forward Andre Iguodala from Philadelphia in August as part of the four-team trade that sent center Andrew Bynum from the Lakers to the 76ers.

Lawson turned down a four-year offer worth $45 million earlier this month, according to league sources, which would have made him one of the highest paid point guards in the league. Deron Williams (five years, $98 million), Derrick Rose (five years, $94 million) and Russell Westbrook (five years, $80 million) are all starting new extensions this season, while the Clippers' Chris Paul ($17.7 million) is in line to get a similar max contract next summer. The next-highest group is led by Boston's Rajon Rondo, who is entering the third year of his five-year, $55 million extension.

If a deal cannot be reached, Lawson would become a restricted free agent next summer and be able to sign offer sheets from other teams. The Nuggets would have three days to match any offer from another team.

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/10/30/laws ... ef:nbahpts
Kobe8Fan

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:50 am

These kids... he turned down a 4/45 million dollar contract?

Why? Does he really think he's worth more? I'd James Harden this kid. Screw it. He's not worth that kind of money and if the Nuggets re-sign him for that, they're going to be mired in mediocrity again for another 5 years. Tied to a Lawson/McGee future? Sounds promising.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:41 am

therealdeal wrote:These kids... he turned down a 4/45 million dollar contract?

Why? Does he really think he's worth more? I'd James Harden this kid. Screw it. He's not worth that kind of money and if the Nuggets re-sign him for that, they're going to be mired in mediocrity again for another 5 years. Tied to a Lawson/McGee future? Sounds promising.

Market price ... if Batum can get a 4/45 million dollar contract , I'd expect more if I were Lawson
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:37 pm

I wouldn't. I'd understand that was a team grossly overpaying for a future nobody. Not to mention he's not the same position. The better comparison would be the PGs making that kind of money. What other PGs are making 11.25 million per year? That's more than Rondo. That's crazy...

Then again I'm not looking at the zeros on the check myself so...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Return to NBA Discussion