Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby LakerFanatic834 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:05 pm

Who would you rather have on your team? Deandre or Roy?
LakerFanatic834
User avatar
LakerFanatic834

 
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:10 pm
Location: California

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby ramsay13 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:11 pm

DJ. Very great potential and doesn't look like he slacks off
ramsay13

 
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:22 pm

Hibbert 74% FT

Jordan 43% FT

One can play in the 4th quarter, the other can't. Jordan will give you the crowd pleasing block, but his post defense is terrible.

I'd rather have Hibbert playing the positional defense than the guy that has to block every shot and compromise the defense in the process.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19457
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby Rooscooter on Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:23 pm

Hibbert. Understands the game much better than Jordan. He's much more versatile and balanced.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23048
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby revgen on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:00 pm

Hibbert. Higher BB IQ and more refined skillset. The kind of stuff that matters this time of year.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru
 
Posts: 21735
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:42 pm

Hibbert is one of the most overrated players in the NBA. I mean his play in the conference finals against Miami was impressive but that's not the true Hibbert. He just had the series of a lifetime and played way above his normal level. The real Hibbert is the guy you are seeing right now. Moves like a turtle and can't grab rebounds to save his life.

DJ is the best athlete in the NBA at the C position, even over Howard. He is a freak. He led the league in rebounds, fg pct and dunks and was 3rd in blocked shots. The Clips have ZERO plays that they run for him yet he still gets his by being in the game. He runs the floor like a gazelle. If you understand what he brings to your team (rebounding, defense and putbacks) and what he doesn't (offensive game, touch, etc) and use him properly like the Clips have, he can be a huge asset for you.

Touch and a post game is overrated if you are as slow and unathletic like Hibbert. He moves like a turtle and can't react to anything. Everything is slow motion. I mean if he can't dominate in such a weak era for centers, imagine how much worse he would've looked in a stronger era for centers.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2877
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:50 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Hibbert 74% FT

Jordan 43% FT

One can play in the 4th quarter, the other can't. Jordan will give you the crowd pleasing block, but his post defense is terrible.

I'd rather have Hibbert playing the positional defense than the guy that has to block every shot and compromise the defense in the process.


He was a disaster last year and most Clip fans wanted to ship him out asap. But this year, he has made a 180 turn and has improved his D considerably. Gone are the regular dumb fouls he used to get, falling for every pump fake and getting caught reaching. He is a more aware player now and knows his role within the defense.

Hibbert is freaken 7'2" and his rebounding numbers are an utter joke. His "positional" defense to me translates to, "I'm too slow to react to anything i'm stuck Iin the paint."
Last edited by Lets Go Lakers on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2877
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:52 pm

revgen wrote:Hibbert. Higher BB IQ and more refined skillset. The kind of stuff that matters this time of year.


If Hibbert has a similiar series against Miami like he did last year, I will give you that. But imo, he just played way above his normal level and fooled the world into thinking he is a lot better than he really is. We shall see but my eyes say no.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2877
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby LooN3y on Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:45 pm

is this a serious question?

Higher basketball IQ, Better Touch around the rim, A jumpshot, not as but still athletic, 7'2, a good defender, a knack for hitting clutch and meaninful/momentum changing spots, has a post game.


really?

DJ shows none of these qualities, he JUST started getting better with his touch FINISHING, i mean he was horrible back then.


its kind of like comparing ben wallace to say pau gasol or comparing any 'defensive' center that has no offensive skills or intuition, to some one that is fundamentally sound.


lol can you imagine an offense with DJ as the 1st option?
LooN3y

 
Posts: 878
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby LakerFanatic834 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:28 pm

LooN3y wrote:is this a serious question?

Higher basketball IQ, Better Touch around the rim, A jumpshot, not as but still athletic, 7'2, a good defender, a knack for hitting clutch and meaninful/momentum changing spots, has a post game.


really?

DJ shows none of these qualities, he JUST started getting better with his touch FINISHING, i mean he was horrible back then.


its kind of like comparing ben wallace to say pau gasol or comparing any 'defensive' center that has no offensive skills or intuition, to some one that is fundamentally sound.


lol can you imagine an offense with DJ as the 1st option?


No one is arguing DeAndre as a #1 option. Roy obviously has a better offensive touch and post moves, but you can argue that DeAndre provides nearly as much scoring with his athleticism and ability to run the floor and finish at the rim. DeAndre has been a great defensive anchor for the Clippers this year and goes after every rebound, leading the leauge compared to Hibbert's measly 6.8 rebounds a game.
LakerFanatic834
User avatar
LakerFanatic834

 
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:10 pm
Location: California

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:32 pm

LooN3y wrote:is this a serious question?

Higher basketball IQ, Better Touch around the rim, A jumpshot, not as but still athletic, 7'2, a good defender, a knack for hitting clutch and meaninful/momentum changing spots, has a post game.


really?

DJ shows none of these qualities, he JUST started getting better with his touch FINISHING, i mean he was horrible back then.


its kind of like comparing ben wallace to say pau gasol or comparing any 'defensive' center that has no offensive skills or intuition, to some one that is fundamentally sound.


lol can you imagine an offense with DJ as the 1st option?


Lol. "Athletic" and "Hibbert" in the same sentence? But anyways, DJ probably has the worst post game of any big in the league. He has zero touch. And that's fine because I'm not expecting him to be my top option. I'm not expecting anything from him offensively besides what he gets within the flow of the game like lobs and put backs.

But right now, he is a big factor. He wasn't last year. I mean he really made you cringe because he had all this raw talent but didn't know how to use them. Doc Rivers completely changed that. He is a rebounding machine and a great defensive presence. That is all I want from him.

If Hibbert was more consistent offensively and grabbed some boards with his height, this debate might be more interesting. But the guy has been terrible for months and I don't think it's the exception. This is who he is. So yeah, give me no offense having DJ with his athleticism, rebounding, ability to run the floor and defense over turtle-like Hibbert. As long as I know what DJ can and can't do and I utilize his strengths, he does more for me than Hibbert.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2877
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:47 pm

anyone choosing DJ over Hibbert needs to never talk basketball again. That is simply my God honest opinion. These two guys aren't even on the same tier of stature even with Hibbert having an off year. In this tough season I am happy that NBA Discussions has given me so much comedy. :jam2:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
User avatar
puffyusaf#2

 
Posts: 30698
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:15 pm
Location: Chasing the dream to an Oscar

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:54 pm

LakerFanatic834 wrote:
LooN3y wrote:is this a serious question?

Higher basketball IQ, Better Touch around the rim, A jumpshot, not as but still athletic, 7'2, a good defender, a knack for hitting clutch and meaninful/momentum changing spots, has a post game.


really?

DJ shows none of these qualities, he JUST started getting better with his touch FINISHING, i mean he was horrible back then.


its kind of like comparing ben wallace to say pau gasol or comparing any 'defensive' center that has no offensive skills or intuition, to some one that is fundamentally sound.


lol can you imagine an offense with DJ as the 1st option?


No one is arguing DeAndre as a #1 option. Roy obviously has a better offensive touch and post moves, but you can argue that DeAndre provides nearly as much scoring with his athleticism and ability to run the floor and finish at the rim. DeAndre has been a great defensive anchor for the Clippers this year and goes after every rebound, leading the leauge compared to Hibbert's measly 6.8 rebounds a game.


DJ more than doubled Hibbert's rebound average. 13.6 to 6.6. A guy with his height and size should not be grabbing so few boards. That tells me something is wrong and it's obvious to see why. He moves like a turtle and has no quick twitch reactions to save his life. So guys are beating him to balls. He is playing in a small, athleticism encouraged era and his rebounding numbers are still terrible. Also, his fg pct is terrible for a center. Centers should hit at least 50% of their fgs or very close to it but Hibbert's fg pct looks like a chucking, shooting guards.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2877
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:52 am

Stop talking about Hibbert touch around the rim ... the guy finishes at a ridiculous poor 52% at the rim ... 52% for a 7'2 guy !

DJ is at 70%+

Hibbert is better defensively ...both are overrated in different aspects ... I'll take Noah over both of them
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6428
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby LooN3y on Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:32 am

lol you guys are taking things out of perspective, hibbert is a offensive threat, they play good defense, A LOT of DJ's points are from broken plays and having the attention of the defense on somebody else.


and this is a thread called "Deandre Jordan Or Roy Hibbert"


this isn't "Deandre Jordan Or Roy Hibbert In My Hypothetical Team"

if you're talking about one and another and only the player, not including any scenario, its a no brainer.


like puff said how are you guys, its just out of the question, if you guys have to bring stats out of context into the debate than you have already lost.

if you cant just plainly see that hibbert is just on another level than DJ than yes youre out of your mind.
LooN3y

 
Posts: 878
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby LooN3y on Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:39 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:
LooN3y wrote:is this a serious question?

Higher basketball IQ, Better Touch around the rim, A jumpshot, not as but still athletic, 7'2, a good defender, a knack for hitting clutch and meaninful/momentum changing spots, has a post game.


really?

DJ shows none of these qualities, he JUST started getting better with his touch FINISHING, i mean he was horrible back then.


its kind of like comparing ben wallace to say pau gasol or comparing any 'defensive' center that has no offensive skills or intuition, to some one that is fundamentally sound.


lol can you imagine an offense with DJ as the 1st option?


Lol. "Athletic" and "Hibbert" in the same sentence? But anyways, DJ probably has the worst post game of any big in the league. He has zero touch. And that's fine because I'm not expecting him to be my top option. I'm not expecting anything from him offensively besides what he gets within the flow of the game like lobs and put backs.


But right now, he is a big factor. He wasn't last year. I mean he really made you cringe because he had all this raw talent but didn't know how to use them. Doc Rivers completely changed that. He is a rebounding machine and a great defensive presence. That is all I want from him.

If Hibbert was more consistent offensively and grabbed some boards with his height, this debate might be more interesting. But the guy has been terrible for months and I don't think it's the exception. This is who he is. So yeah, give me no offense having DJ with his athleticism, rebounding, ability to run the floor and defense over turtle-like Hibbert. As long as I know what DJ can and can't do and I utilize his strengths, he does more for me than Hibbert.



Exactly, he has no skills.

without him being the 3rd option on a deep team he wouldnt have the opportunity to strive.

this is a Player Or Player debate thread, im not sure wher eall these 'scenarios' are coming from.


the man has no fundamental skill, and is barely getting it down in his veteran years, his plateau isnt going to be high (im not saying its not humanly possible for him to prove me wrong, but hey, isnt that what all the dwight lovers said? after these long years and little (yes his offensive improvements are very little compared to all the years hes been in this league, just look at ibaka, im not a fan of OKC but you have to give it to him because of how RAW he was when he first came, now hes hitting J's out in the 3pt line and he you can see he has a natural knack for it. if DJ did he would of already shown improvements)

so this is a no brainer, thats like saying Oh im going to choose mutumbo over Hakeem because mutumbo has nice stats becauses hes a 3rd option on the team and has nice stats.

im not saying hibbert is mutumbo, but you guys are clearly taking everything out of context because this is clearly just a "Hibbert Or DJ" and nothing else
LooN3y

 
Posts: 878
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby kenzo on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:38 am

I think Hibbert is one of the most overrated players in the league (even more than Porkins was) but i would still take him over DJ. 2 years from now, who knows...
User avatar
kenzo

 
Posts: 5975
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:06 pm
Location: Poland

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:57 am

Image
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6428
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:30 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote: His "positional" defense to me translates to, "I'm too slow to react to anything i'm stuck Iin the paint."


Not even worth the debate if this is your take on that. Marc Gasol, Asik, healthy Bynum must be below DJ as well on defense.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19457
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby Congo Cash on Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:05 am

Hibbert even w/ his bad attitude and having an off year...
- insert signature here -
User avatar
Congo Cash

 
Posts: 4533
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:58 am
Location: Philippines

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby therealdeal on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:27 am

Hibbert by the longest shot ever.

DeAndre comes off as an idiotic athlete who is more interested in dunking the ball or getting the block than winning the game and making the right plays. Hibbert is smarter, more talented, more cerebral, and a better player.

In any other decade DeAndre would be just another stupid athletic body. In today's NBA of quick whistles, no physicality, and increased reliance on athleticism, DeAndre looks like an All-Star. He's a more athletic version of Ryan Hollins on his own team.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40356
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:01 am

Two completely situations for both players.

Hibbert plays on a team focused around Paul George, and supplemented by Hibbert, West, Stephenson...etc.

DeAndre plays for a team focused around the playmaking of Chris Paul. Where nearly most of his points are assisted, hell all of them usually are.

One team plays a defense that funnels the player to the anchor, and is 2nd in the league in opponents points per game.

One team plays help defense and blocks shots into the stands, yet sits in the middle of the pack on defense despite having this "rebound monster" and "volleyball player".

The Clipper-bias is real. :man10:

Can't expect much from a fairweather bandwagon fan though who thinks "athleticism" is the key to everything.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9920
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:05 am

LooN3y wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:
LooN3y wrote:is this a serious question?

Higher basketball IQ, Better Touch around the rim, A jumpshot, not as but still athletic, 7'2, a good defender, a knack for hitting clutch and meaninful/momentum changing spots, has a post game.


really?

DJ shows none of these qualities, he JUST started getting better with his touch FINISHING, i mean he was horrible back then.


its kind of like comparing ben wallace to say pau gasol or comparing any 'defensive' center that has no offensive skills or intuition, to some one that is fundamentally sound.


lol can you imagine an offense with DJ as the 1st option?


Lol. "Athletic" and "Hibbert" in the same sentence? But anyways, DJ probably has the worst post game of any big in the league. He has zero touch. And that's fine because I'm not expecting him to be my top option. I'm not expecting anything from him offensively besides what he gets within the flow of the game like lobs and put backs.


But right now, he is a big factor. He wasn't last year. I mean he really made you cringe because he had all this raw talent but didn't know how to use them. Doc Rivers completely changed that. He is a rebounding machine and a great defensive presence. That is all I want from him.

If Hibbert was more consistent offensively and grabbed some boards with his height, this debate might be more interesting. But the guy has been terrible for months and I don't think it's the exception. This is who he is. So yeah, give me no offense having DJ with his athleticism, rebounding, ability to run the floor and defense over turtle-like Hibbert. As long as I know what DJ can and can't do and I utilize his strengths, he does more for me than Hibbert.



Exactly, he has no skills.

without him being the 3rd option on a deep team he wouldnt have the opportunity to strive.

this is a Player Or Player debate thread, im not sure wher eall these 'scenarios' are coming from.


the man has no fundamental skill, and is barely getting it down in his veteran years, his plateau isnt going to be high (im not saying its not humanly possible for him to prove me wrong, but hey, isnt that what all the dwight lovers said? after these long years and little (yes his offensive improvements are very little compared to all the years hes been in this league, just look at ibaka, im not a fan of OKC but you have to give it to him because of how RAW he was when he first came, now hes hitting J's out in the 3pt line and he you can see he has a natural knack for it. if DJ did he would of already shown improvements)

so this is a no brainer, thats like saying Oh im going to choose mutumbo over Hakeem because mutumbo has nice stats becauses hes a 3rd option on the team and has nice stats.

im not saying hibbert is mutumbo, but you guys are clearly taking everything out of context because this is clearly just a "Hibbert Or DJ" and nothing else


Yes, DJ has absolutely ZERO ounce of skills. If his life depended on him making a basket with his back to the basket 10 feet away, he is a dead man. But like i said before, if you know what he can and can't do and know how to utilize him properly, he can be a huge factor for you. He's in an ideal situation right now because he plays alongside another big who has a post up game so he can just be the clean up man and not worry about producing offensively. But even given the fact that he has no offensive skills, he is still big factor in this league. He led the entire NBA in rebounding, fg pct, dunks and was 3rd in blocks.

If your big loses sight of DJ down the court, it's an automatic 2 points off the fast break lob. The guy gives you cheap, easy offense sometimes. Really, his coordination and athleticism for a C is up there with almost anyone in history.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2877
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:11 am

LOL @ Lets Go Clippers being all passionate defending that bum Deandre
.
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
User avatar
pound4pound1

 
Posts: 6347
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:47 am
Location: 818 LAKER NATION

Re: Deandre Jordan or Roy Hibbert?

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:42 am

therealdeal wrote:Hibbert by the longest shot ever.

DeAndre comes off as an idiotic athlete who is more interested in dunking the ball or getting the block than winning the game and making the right plays. Hibbert is smarter, more talented, more cerebral, and a better player.

In any other decade DeAndre would be just another stupid athletic body. In today's NBA of quick whistles, no physicality, and increased reliance on athleticism, DeAndre looks like an All-Star. He's a more athletic version of Ryan Hollins on his own team.


As in, you don't really watch him but judge him based on perceptions? And it's pretty funny how you mention all these favorable traits to Hibbert yet the guy can't even grab 7 boards in this era of weak big men and low level of physicality. How badly would he get toyed around against the great centers of the late 80's and early 90's? I mean if he can't do squat in one of the weakest eras ever for bigs, how good is he? Every night, he's facing guys shorter (sometimes much shorter) and lighter (and sometimes much lighter) than him. Yet he can't even take advantage. He's not even facing the regular double teams, which all great post up players eventually face. Even Biff gets the double regularly now. So he's mostly facing a single defender most of the time with guys noticeably smaller than him and he still can't produce offensively and grab more than 6.6 boards?
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2877
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Next

Return to NBA Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.