Devin Ebanks Discussion (Not Returning For 13-14)

Re: Devin Ebanks Discussion (p.19 - Re-signing on a 1-Year Deal)

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:16 pm

If he's the ONLY backup SF, and doesn't have to share the spot with Jaminson; then we'll see him be very productive for us on defense and offense. He's gotta work in the off season on his midrange, finishing, and defense but he's already at a solid base to begin with.

MWP (32) /Ebanks (16)

That should be solid. He's earned being the first and only backup SF.
Ariza3

Postby Shadow on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:19 pm

Umm... There is no page 19..
Shadow

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:23 pm

I'm fine with it. I've always thought he had potential and I'm glad to have him back. I thought he was kind of a victim of Brown's arbitrary substitutions last year and never found much of a rhythm. He needs development in a big way, but he's got some ability. He can shoot, he can convert on the break, he shows signs on the defensive end. I still think he's a bit Ariza-like, but maybe with the potential to be a more dependable shooter and certainly could be a better man on man defender. I don't think he has that cat-like sixth sense for the ball in the team defense like Ariza had. But I'm happy he's getting another chance.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tragic on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:37 pm

He needs to work on this three and defense! Midrange is already decent

His defense on Durant last year was also a pleasant surprise. He has the chance of developing into a starting 3 in the NBA if he puts the work in.

I'm curious to see what Earl Clark brings us though. They're similar players from what I've heard
Tragic

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:44 pm

Tragic wrote:He needs to work on this three and defense! Midrange is already decent

His defense on Durant last year was also a pleasant surprise. He has the chance of developing into a starting 3 I'm.the NBA if he puts the work in.

I'm curious to see what Earl Clark brings us though. They're similar players from what I've heard

I don't think Clark is a 3 - isn't he a shot blocking 4? He's like 6 ft 10, IIRC.

I think Ebanks deserves the backup SF spot. He brings some nice youth and athleticism to the mix. He's got the potential in the man on man defensive side of things. His mid-range is nice like you say. I don't think he has to do much shooting from 3. We've got Blake and Meeks to handle those duties at least for the bench. If Ebanks did develop long-range it would be nice, but I don't see it as high priority. But, yes, I agree continue to work on the defensive end. Use that long wingspan against guys like Durant.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:26 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
Tragic wrote:He needs to work on this three and defense! Midrange is already decent

His defense on Durant last year was also a pleasant surprise. He has the chance of developing into a starting 3 I'm.the NBA if he puts the work in.

I don't think Clark is a 3 - isn't he a shot blocking 4? He's like 6 ft 10, IIRC.

I think Ebanks deserves the backup SF spot. He brings some nice youth and athleticism to the mix. He's got the potential in the man on man defensive side of things. His mid-range is nice like you say. I don't think he has to do much shooting from 3. We've got Blake and Meeks to handle those duties at least for the bench. If Ebanks did develop long-range it would be nice, but I don't see it as high priority. But, yes, I agree continue to work on the defensive end. Use that long wingspan against guys like Durant.

Agreed.

My high hopes for him are something along the lines of what Grant Hill brought to Phoenix. Midrange shooting, solid defense, and good movement. He's not going to be as smart, but he'll be a nice role player if he's got a given role and stays healthy.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:58 pm

Anyone know why Ebanks not signed yet? Does Mitch have another move he's about to make involving Ebanks?
Lakerfantilidie

Postby JGC on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:06 pm

Just curious, how come the title says he re-signed and refers to pg. 19 but I'm posting on pg. 17?

Anyway, my brother and I were discussing the possibility of Ebanks starting and playing that Devean George role. I thought MWP showed promise being a primary offensive option at times (later in the season) and that might be some nice defensive presence to have off the bench.

Perhaps D12's presence means we can move some of that defense to the bench?
JGC

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:08 pm

JGC wrote:Just curious, how come the title says he re-signed and refers to pg. 19 but I'm posting on pg. 17?

Anyway, my brother and I were discussing the possibility of Ebanks starting and playing that Devean George role. I thought MWP showed promise being a primary offensive option at times (later in the season) and that might be some nice defensive presence to have off the bench.

Must be a typo.
Kobe8Fan

Postby JSM on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:06 pm

^ Yeah, the Devean George part.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:11 am

JGC wrote:how come the title says he re-signed and refers to pg. 19 but I'm posting on pg. 17?

Title hasn't been adjusted since we upped the posts per page.

JGC wrote:Anyway, my brother and I were discussing the possibility of Ebanks starting and playing that _______ role. I thought MWP showed promise being a primary offensive option at times (later in the season) and that might be some nice defensive presence to have off the bench.

MWP's stint off the bench resembled something out of a horror movie. 33% FG, 16% 3FG, 5 PPG, 3 RPG :yikes:

He played his best basketball of the season, when he was in shape and healthy at the end of the season WHILE playing the most minutes he's played all year.
April: 32 MPG, 47% FG, 33% 3FG, 14 PPG, 4 RPG

You don't want to take away from your team's advantages and strengths, moving last season's defensive coordinator and our best perimeter defender does that in a big way.

With Nash, we need MWP and Dwight to cover any defensive liabilities. The ONLY thing I liked about MWP off the bench was that he got the chance to get in the post more often. But the downside is he goes from the forgotten wide open man to the opponent's #1 target, allowing them to swarm him. Even if he's missing, I'll bet on the wide open shot over a contested one with a couple players draped over him.

Also I got the impression he felt a certain disconnect not being with the starters and coming in off the bench made it more difficult for him to get in a rhythm on both sides of the floor.

In short, not a fan. I want him out there with the rest of the starters for 32ish minutes, covering the opponents best perimeter threat, and knocking down wide open gifts from Nash (Blake trying to create for him is just ugly).
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Alleyhoops on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:46 am

One of the most eye-opening Lakers' moments came in last years playoff series with OKC, when The Thunder was rolling and flashing their athleticism and Ebanks came flying down down court to make a ridiculously insane acrobatic, soaring block from behind on a breakaway by OKC. My jaw dropped at that moment. Ebanks is an athlete and I'd love to see him make serious strides this year.
Alleyhoops

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:58 am

Alleyhoops wrote:One of the most eye-opening Lakers' moments came in last years playoff series with OKC, when The Thunder was rolling and flashing their athleticism and Ebanks came flying down down court to make a ridiculously insane acrobatic, soaring block from behind on a breakaway by OKC. My jaw dropped at that moment. Ebanks is an athlete and I'd love to see him make serious strides this year.

:jam2: hes our backup SF and no one else. im happy with that. give him the mins and he'll produce for us. prob would have helped more than Barnes in the playoffs
Ariza3

Re: Devin Ebanks Discussion (Re-signing on a 1-Year Deal)

Postby The Rock on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:46 pm

https://twitter.com/MarkGMedina/status/234873144379318272

Devin Ebanks' agent, David Bauman, told The Times this evening that Ebanks will sign the Lakers' qualifying offer on Monday

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby hollywood swinger on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:49 pm

:man8:
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:58 pm

Finally.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:20 pm

Alleyhoops wrote:One of the most eye-opening Lakers' moments came in last years playoff series with OKC, when The Thunder was rolling and flashing their athleticism and Ebanks came flying down down court to make a ridiculously insane acrobatic, soaring block from behind on a breakaway by OKC. My jaw dropped at that moment. Ebanks is an athlete and I'd love to see him make serious strides this year.

^^ Loved that play, Alleyhoops! I think Ebanks has nice potential. I just hope Brown doesn't shaft him like last year. Develop the kid.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:22 pm

yes. def better than earl clark backing up MWP.

Nash/Blake/Morris/DJO
Kobe/Meeks/Glock
MWP/Ebanks
Pau/Jaminson
Howard/Hill/Sacre

Solid 14-man roster. I think depending on training camp they'll send Sacre, DJO, and/or Glock to D-League. I'd like Sacre & DJO, and keep Glock on the bench as a 3 point shooter just incase; but i think it'll be a duel between DJO & Glock. DJO brings defense, and MB didn't play Glock for some weird reason even when he was scoring double digits a game; so DJO will prob get the bench spot.
Ariza3

Postby Center Court on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:03 pm

This is a big year for Ebanks... I don't want to label it "make or break", but I think it is close. He's sat and watched, he's started, he's learned from Kobe/Ron, and now he's going to have a consistent role.

I generally really like what I see from Dev. Good mid range game, great D instincts, and is always moving. With Nash, things are only going to get easier. He needs to come back a little bit stronger and quicker, more aggresive, and with an improved shot. If he does that, I think he'll do just fine as a backup SF.
Center Court

Postby The Rock on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:16 pm

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:56 pm

The Rock wrote:

If we can get this level of effort out of him every night next year, he'll be perfect for our bench. He doesn't have to be a great scorer or anything like that, just bring the energy and effort night in and night out and our bench with the additions of Jamison, Meeks, and the resigning of Hill will be great!
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:58 am

I like it. :jam2:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:35 am

Ebanks to sign deal on Monday
6:52
AM ET
Devin Ebanks | Lakers
RECOMMEND0COMMENTS0EMAIL

Small forward Devin Ebanks has been waiting to sign the $1.05 million qualifying offer and Monday it will be completed after he takes his physical.

"[Ebanks] feels they know him now and what he's capable of and can contribute," agent David Bauman told the Los Angeles Times Sunday night. "He's going to be given a chance to get a role on the team."

Ebanks will provide depth at the small forward position behind starter Metta World Peace. Ebanks can not be traded during the season, per the collective bargaining agreement, without his consent as he will have full free agent Bird rights in 2013. Ebanks will lose those rights should he agree to be dealt at some point by the February deadline.

-- Nick Borges
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:31 am

David Bauman, a Laker fan? It seems he pimped all his clients here :man10: Mitch likes him probably, college players take note.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:41 am

Metta (30)/ Ebanks (14)/ Jamison (4)
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion