Devin Ebanks Discussion (Not Returning For 13-14)

Re: Devin Ebanks Discussion (Re-signing on a 1-Year Deal)

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:45 am

I just hope Ebanks can get some confidence playing with some consistent time now with Barnes out of the picture, and get some confidence back in that shot he had in the early part of the season.

I'd like to see him work on his outside shooting this year much like Ariza did coming into the 2008-2009 season. He's going to be wide open a lot and he's going to be running the wings with Nash too so hopefully will get some nasty dunks out of him the way we did with Trev.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:13 am

I think he will be do a lot better then last season with a consistent 15-17 mpg per night.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:50 am

lakerfan2 wrote:I just hope Ebanks can get some confidence playing with some consistent time now with Barnes out of the picture, and get some confidence back in that shot he had in the early part of the season.

I'd like to see him work on his outside shooting this year much like Ariza did coming into the 2008-2009 season. He's going to be wide open a lot and he's going to be running the wings with Nash too so hopefully will get some nasty dunks out of him the way we did with Trev.

Agreed. I think his midrange is money and him working with Nash, he'll find a ton of open looks. People are going to be willing to leave him to cover guys like Meeks outside, Dwight/Pau down low, and (fill in the blank here). He's going to get a ton of opportunities here.

I keep saying this, but I want to see a Grant Hill-lite from him. Obviously I don't expect the smarts, but he should really model his game after Grant from these last two seasons. Midrange money, moving without the ball, and making the easy pass. I think that'd do wonders for him.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:52 am

therealdeal wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:I just hope Ebanks can get some confidence playing with some consistent time now with Barnes out of the picture, and get some confidence back in that shot he had in the early part of the season.

Agreed. I think his midrange is money and him working with Nash, he'll find a ton of open looks. People are going to be willing to leave him to cover guys like Meeks outside, Dwight/Pau down low, and (fill in the blank here). He's going to get a ton of opportunities here.

I keep saying this, but I want to see a Grant Hill-lite from him. Obviously I don't expect the smarts, but he should really model his game after Grant from these last two seasons. Midrange money, moving without the ball, and making the easy pass. I think that'd do wonders for him.

are you sure Ebanks will be on the floor with Nash? Nash would have to be playing alot of minutes for this to happen.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:17 am

I'm positive. Nash's abilities with this team will be most useful in getting our bench unit going. Our starters in Kobe, Gasol, and Howard will get their own. Nash with that unit can honestly take a nap and we'll still be effective.

With the bench he can make sure our leads stay leads. That's where he'll be the most useful.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Phil XI on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:29 am

Doc Brown wrote:I think he will be do a lot better then last season with a consistent 15-17 mpg per night.

But I don't see him getting that with Jamison in, and Kobe taking some mins with Meeks in. Once Dwight gets in I see Ebay at 8 mpg maybe.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby Whatthef? on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:31 am

I would love to see Ebanks replace MWP in the starting lineup. If he could be another Ariza it would be awesome.
Whatthef?

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:38 am

therealdeal wrote:I'm positive. Nash's abilities with this team will be most useful in getting our bench unit going. Our starters in Kobe, Gasol, and Howard will get their own. Nash with that unit can honestly take a nap and we'll still be effective.

With the bench he can make sure our leads stay leads. That's where he'll be the most useful.

You may be right realdeal. But I'm going to hope that Brown simplifies things in terms of his crazy rotations. I'd love to see a more Phil type rotation with starters going out and the bench mob coming in. Knowing Brown he probably won't do that and with tinker with all kinds of lineups and then fall into something really strange and awkward like Blake and Nash at the same time.

But really to me the ideal would be the older starters: Nash, Kobe, Ron Ron, Gasol - playing about 33-35 minutes per game. Nash a little less - 32 more likely. Then the bench guys shoring things up for about 15 minutes a game (7 and a half per half). That's reasonable and would take a lot of the load off the vets.

I think the bench mob of Blake, Meeks, Ebanks, Jamison and Hill could hold it down. Once Dwight gets his sea legs back he and Gasol could each put in a little time with the bench guys to bolster their play (Dwight when healthy can certainly play 37 a game, so can Pau). Hill is the weak link at center so getting in our 7 footers for a couple minutes extra each would be nice.

With the bench unit Blake is fine to run the system, Meeks and Jamison will be the scorers and I think Ebanks' athleticism, ability to cut to the hoop and shoot the mid-range will be good. Hill can pick up the garbage as he does so well. While it would have been ideal to have an uptempo guy like Sessions lead the bench, or even a guy like Nate Robinson, I'm hoping that Blake recovers a little bit of his past confidence. He needs to be a leader out there and not so terribly inconsistent. But I think that starts with a consistent role. He needs to just be a backup PG. Not a SG, not in with the starters like last year. And I'm hoping that Duhon doesn't prove to be a big distraction either. I can see Mike Brown fiddling around and using him and Blake in together, or using him instead of Blake at times, or just whatever confusing kind of nonsense. Brown has to have his options limited in terms of lineups. Otherwise he gets crazy.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:49 am

I mean honestly we're both right. It's difficult to be wrong with the type of talent this team has. Brown will have a hard time throwing at a lineup that won't be effective. I think the worst lineup we can have (without going into our 3rd string) is oure entire bench out at one time: Blake/Meeks/Ebanks/Jamison/Hill.

I feel like with our starting lineup, especially to start games, Nash can be a spot up shooter a lot of the time. You can use Kobe/Dwight/Pau to get things started. Rotate Nash/Gasol or Dwight out and bring in Jamison/Blake and that team is actually better suited to Kobe.

Then you use Gasol or Howard/Nash to stabilize the bench when it needs to be done. That'll actually limit Nash's playing time.

Even in the bench mob days, we'd run Gasol with that team to give them somewhere to go in half-court sets. I think now we have that luxury and so much more.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:59 am

I think Ebanks will not get as much floor time as we'd like. With World Peace looking primed for the season and hopefully staying healthy, he will get a majority of the minutes at the 3 position. Brown will also slide 24 there every now and then. Hard to gauge how he would do if everything goes according to plan. Not only that but Brown seems to have a quick hook with him and not allowing him to play through mistakes. His significant minutes will likely occur in blowouts.

Ebanks runs the floor well albeit not that fast and moves his feet to the point of being more than a decent defender. He can't create off the ball at this point in his young career and still needs to work on moving without the rock for passes or getting his points. Summing it up, Ebanks needs to rev his motor much higher than he has shown.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Psychobroker on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:25 am

Ebanks will be our best Durant defender this season, so I'm excited he's back.

“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby XXIV on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:30 am

^ You know you're desperate for footage when you show the same dunk ten times. :man10:
XXIV

Postby Psychobroker on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:34 am

^ I'd post the highlight of his block on Durant , but couldn't find it.
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:41 am

That video showed every play probably 4 times. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Psychobroker on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:44 am

How about this one then :man9:

- John Adams
- Thomas Jefferson
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:50 am

It's funny that Devin's block on Durant has been so widely ignored. Where is it exactly? Type in Devin Ebanks and one of the auto searches that comes up is Devin Ebanks blocks Durant and yet there's no video there. The one they show is him blocking Harden.

Maybe Chook has it? I don't know where exactly you'd find that clip.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:13 pm

Devin Ebanks: This dwight is trip man, got da whole damn hospital cracking up. Twitter
Ariza3

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:20 pm

... Are Devin and Dwight hanging out?.... and why are they at a hospital?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:21 pm

therealdeal wrote:... Are Devin and Dwight hanging out?.... and why are they at a hospital?

LOL
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:25 pm

maybe they're getting physicals? ebanks prob needs one before we sign him officially...its supposed to be on monday...so maybe thats why?

im excited for him to be our backup SF. i think he's earned the spot and can really be great for us off the bench on both ends of the floor and on the boards. From the highlight video above, it looks like nearly EVERY pass came from Steve Blake...so it should be good to see him and Blake off the bench working well together. Barnes normally got the backup SF mins and Mike Brown screwed with Ebanks by starting him and making him the backup only to completely burry him on the bench. If he's the backup SF behind MWP than it should be great to see. He's athletic, long, a defender, and has that midrange. he's not too bad at finishing but if he works on that i think it'll be awesome. he cuts pretty well and is really active.

If anyone works well with Blake than you play him...lots of fast breaks from Blake to Ebanks and oops too. should be a different look for our bench as we have Jaminson and Meeks as more jumpshot players and then we have Blake and Ebanks as more of a fast break, oops, and cutting /finishing.

Blake might actually do something good for us as hes actually a decent passer and okay PG. hes pass first which is what killed our bench bc we needed scoring BUT now he can actually play floor general for our bench and get the ball to everyone else..from Meeks to Jaminson to Ebanks, even to Hill for lobs. The bench has scoring options and all Blake has to do is be himself and pass the ball to the right guy BUT also just shoot the open 3...if you miss chances are Ebanks or Hill will get the long rebound.

Blake + Ebanks = good things
Ariza3

Postby nthydro on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:26 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
therealdeal wrote:... Are Devin and Dwight hanging out?.... and why are they at a hospital?

LOL

Maybe he's getting his physical?
nthydro

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:46 pm

OFFICIALLY RESIGNED! :jam2:
Ariza3

Postby Alleyhoops on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:17 pm

Solid signing. They can't all be all-stars, fellas. Plenty of upside for Ebanks. Young, long, athletic, plays hard, good defender, nice solid shooting stroke, seemingly good IQ. Only lacks experience. He could give us a few very good minutes off the bench. Happy to have him back. Let's get the season rolling.
Alleyhoops

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:56 pm

Alleyhoops wrote:Solid signing. They can't all be all-stars, fellas. Plenty of upside for Ebanks. Young, long, athletic, plays hard, good defender, nice solid shooting stroke, seemingly good IQ. Only lacks experience. He could give us a few very good minutes off the bench. Happy to have him back. Let's get the season rolling.

^^ +1! :jam2:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:08 pm

As I said before, I like the one year deal, one more season to see if there is true potential there, cheap signing, high chance for reward. Now just don't screw with the guy's head all season, give him consistent back-up playing time so he can get into an actual rhythm and stay there. I really don't think that's too much to ask of Potato Head.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion