Devin Ebanks Discussion (Not Returning For 13-14)

Re: Devin Ebanks Discussion (Re-signing on a 1-Year Deal)

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:25 pm

Add another player to this list this season of guys that really wanted to be here and be with Lakers along with Jamison, Meeks, Hill, and Nash (and really Howard).

I like to read that he understands his role and that he's trying to put on some muscle, but why is he working on his post game at all?... that's unimportant with this team my friend. You should be working on your mid-long range shot in catch and shoot situations. Watch some tape of Grant Hill from the last 3 years, that's you now.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby ben_ready on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:38 pm

Nothing wrong with working on everything yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby khmrP on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:51 pm

therealdeal wrote:Add another player to this list this season of guys that really wanted to be here and be with Lakers along with Jamison, Meeks, Hill, and Nash (and really Howard).

I like to read that he understands his role and that he's trying to put on some muscle, but why is he working on his post game at all?... that's unimportant with this team my friend. You should be working on your mid-long range shot in catch and shoot situations. Watch some tape of Grant Hill from the last 3 years, that's you now.

maybe he wants to dominate the paint once Howard/Pau are out of the way :man10:
khmrP

Postby JSM on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:20 am

Mark Medina of the LA Times wrote:This is the eighth post in a series focusing on five things each Lakers player must do to have a successful 2012-13 season.

1. Devin Ebanks needs to make up for lost time in off-season work. He missed the Las Vegas Summer League because he suffered a left knee injury during a pro-am game in New York City. Even though Ebanks says he's been cleared to play for the last month, there's still a lot of catching up to do. The Lakers like Ebanks' development, but he concedes he needs to improve in all facets of his game. All accounts suggest Ebanks has the proper work ethic. But even with the Lakers not re-signing Matt Barnes, it remains to be seen whether Ebanks' improvement will correlate to increased minutes.

2. Ebanks needs to improve his outside shooting. No matter what lineup he plays with, it's unlikely Ebanks will have set plays drawn for him. If Ebanks plays with the starters at times, such looks will deservedly go to Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard. When Ebanks plays with the bench unit, Antawn Jamison and Jodie Meeks will likely take most of the shots. Ebanks has performed a great balancing act in staying in his lane while also hustling. But he hasn't shown consistency in knocking down open jumpers.

After rehabbing, Ebanks has devoted most of this off-season on his shooting. But he also did that last off-season. Ebanks still shot only 41.6% from the field and made zero three-pointers in the regular season. Considering plenty of Ebanks' open looks will come when other players are double-teamed, it's imperative Ebanks hits those shots with consistency. He also needs to focus on form. Last season, Lakers development coach Phil Handy believed Ebanks was not consistent in his follow through.

3. Ebanks will need to scrap for hustle points. Regardless of his inconsistent shooting, the Lakers like Ebanks because of his work ethic. He will have to raise that a notch in Barnes' absence. Ebanks will need to be dependable crashing the glass, slashing to the basket and providing energy. Considering the uncertainty on whether Ebanks could improve his shooting, this would mark the most realistic way for him to still provide value off the bench.

4. Ebanks should become another dependable defensive option. With Metta World Peace earning a suspension and Barnes suffering an ankle injury, Ebanks suddenly found himself with an unenviable assignment. He had to cover Kevin Durant. Ebanks delivered, holding Durant to 5-of-19 shooting when he played the entire fourth quarter and subsequent overtimes in a late regular-season game. Ebanks couldn't do that consistently. But his height and athleticism should at least prove good enough so that World Peace can get a breather. If Ebanks can become a reliable defender, it's likely his free agent stock will go even higher next season.

5. Ebanks needs to maintain his team-first mind-set. The Lakers have appreciated how Ebanks has treated temporary promotions as a chance to make an audition tape. Ebanks has concentrated on staying in his lane and providing energy wherever needed. With Ebanks becoming a free agent next season, there could be a temptation to change that script. But as he adopted last season before hitting the open market, it's much better for him to ease into it.

Should he continue to develop, Ebanks could have a chance at eventually earning a starting spot. World Peace has only two years left on his $15-million contract. Even if he looks in better shape, it wouldn't be out of the question if the Lakers exercise the amnesty provision on him after next season. That's all conjecture at this point. But the writing the wall is clear. Ebanks could secure a long-term future with the Lakers if he plays his cards right this season.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:27 am

Medina's write up seemed rushed and didn't have 5 clear and concise improvements Ebanks needs. He needs 1) to improve 2) to improve his jump shot 3) to hustle 4) to play defense and 5) to be team oriented.

Eh, 1 and 2 are the same and 5 is a cop out. There's a shorter list than 5 that Ebanks needs to focus on. Medina hit it with #2, #3, and #4. The kid needs a reliable jumper. Whether or not that's from mid-range or deep is immaterial, he simply needs a consistent jump shot. Grant Hill is a terrible outside shooter, but a very good player. Ebanks should follow his example.

Hustle points were basically all of Barnes' points on a consistent basis. His shot wasn't great, but he moved and cut to the basket very well which was key to his points. He rebounded well offensively too, but I don't expect Ebanks to get that. What Ebanks can do is be a good cutter/slasher to the basket. He's actually a pretty deft finisher and he's athletic enough to make that work. Watch tape of Ariza and Barnes and go from there.

I like Ebanks, I think he's a hard worker, but he doesn't necessarily have a feel for the ball defensively. He's a good defender because he's an athlete, not because he's a natural. Barnes had a bit more of a feel, but some of that was just age and experience. I think Ebanks can be a better defender than Barnes if he stays focused on that end. We've seen flashes of good things and I think he provides the perfect counter to Artest's style of defense. We go from a bully to a snake and that's perfect. It keeps the offensive player working hard.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:36 am

Hopefully Ebanks comes into camp with a much improved three point shot. Last season it was non existent and that will be unacceptable considering all the open looks he'll be receiving. From what we saw this past season he has a very good and reliable mid range jumper that appears to be automatic if he's wide open. Perhaps if he's still unable to knock down a three he should take on a role similar to Grant Hill's (like mentioned above). Just focus on hitting the open J while playing good hard nosed defense.
XXIV

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:10 am

XXIV wrote:Hopefully Ebanks comes into camp with a much improved three point shot. Last season it was non existent and that will be unacceptable considering all the open looks he'll be receiving. From what we saw this past season he has a very good and reliable mid range jumper that appears to be automatic if he's wide open. Perhaps if he's still unable to knock down a three he should take on a role similar to Grant Hill's (like mentioned above). Just focus on hitting the open J while playing good hard nosed defense.

^^ I'm hoping he improves somewhat in the three point area (like you said, his three was basically nonexistent), but I'm not counting on any miracles in that department. Basically, that's a weak point for him that I'm not expecting to drastically change. I don't think it will render him useless though. I question how many threes he'll actually be in position to shoot, really. I don't see him playing a ton of minutes with the starters now that Artest's health is much better. Ron Ron is going to get the majority of the minutes available at the 3. That's just how it is. I really only expect to see Devin out there with the bench squad. If that's the case Jodie Meeks will be shooting the threes as that's his game.

I see Devin working more on his all around shooting (already has a nice mid-range stroke, just needs to gain confidence by practicing and doing it in game time), his off ball movement, his hustle, and I'd say finishing and utilizing both hands. His man defense is quite good for the most part. He needs to improve his team D, like therealdeal said, but that's going to have to come at team practices and through game time experience. Ariza had cat-like instincts when it came to team D - he was brilliant at it. But he was nowhere near the man to man defender that Devin already is, IMO.

I think he can do this thing. How far he'll go, how much he'll develop, what his long-term status here is we won't know. He just needs to seize the moment this season.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:16 am

[quote="Lakerjones
I see Devin working more on his all around shooting (already has a nice mid-range stroke, just needs to gain confidence by practicing and doing it in game time), his off ball movement, his hustle, and I'd say finishing and utilizing both hands. His man defense is quite good for the most part. He needs to improve his team D, like therealdeal said, but that's going to have to come at team practices and through game time experience. Ariza had cat-like instincts when it came to team D - he was brilliant at it. But he was nowhere near the man to man defender that Devin already is, IMO.
[/quote]
That's an interesting thought LJ.

I'll have to really put in thought, but I think you might be right there. Ariza had a nose for passing lanes, he was fantastic at getting hands in there. But one on one, he was never fantastic. He has always been alright man-to-man, but not great. I'd point out that Kobe can and will go at Trevor. I'd argue that part of the reason we brought Ron in was because he was an amazing one-on-one defender and he helped more against guys like Melo and Pierce at the time.

Ebanks is certainly a very good man-to-man defender and his frame makes that job a lot easier than for others. I'd like to see him work on his lateral foot speed and reading defenses as a whole. You're right, with time those things will come to him in practice and with consistent minutes.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:47 pm

James Worthy ‏@James_Worthy42

Laker fans, I saw something in lst nite's game that I'd like to share, @DevinEbanks3 will be @Lakers surprise X factor coming off the bench.
JSM

Postby revgen on Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:56 pm

^What's JW saying? Jamison is going to be a 4 instead of 3 like MB said he would? Or is Meeks not going to get the backup SG position? Ebanks can't be an X-factor unless he plays.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby JSM on Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Brian Kamenetzky of ESPN wrote:3. Ebanks displayed a nice floor game.

Generally, people know what to expect from Antawn Jamison. Jodie Meeks is a relatively known quantity, and while Jordan Hill is still in many ways a work in progress, for the time being there isn't much mystery in what he'll bring to the floor. That means the guy with the biggest chance to fundamentally elevate L.A.'s bench is Devin Ebanks. Two seasons into his career, he's never had consistent minutes. That will change this year, if future performances are anything like Friday's. Last season, he didn't hit a 3-pointer and in two years at West Virginia shot 11.3 percent from long range. Tonight, Ebanks had it going on. He put the ball on the floor a few times, finishing with both hands. Not known for his passing, in the third quarter Ebanks made a nice play on the high screen with Jamison, drawing defenders and passing back across his body to Jamison, who hit the bucket. And of course, there was his typical effort-heavy defense.

Final line: 20 points, 4-of-5 from downtown, six rebounds, one board. If Ebanks can make a jump in his production this year, the Lakers' bench is a fundamentally different thing.
JSM

Postby The Rock on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:35 pm

He started out strong last year too (Granted he didnt make 3s) but Brown pulled him after 7 games and he rarely played again. Look hes not gonna be perfect, hes a bench player, Brown needs to understand that and give him consistent minutes regardless of his ups and downs if he wants Devin to be a better player. Stop with the mixing and matchin

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby cthroatgtr on Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:34 pm

Brown really screwed with Ebanks head last year. When he had a strong preseason he leaped frogged to the starting role, where he struggled. Then buried on the bench until Kobe went down late in the season. I think he didn't have the confidence to be that guy yet and should have been given reserve minutes backing up the 2 or 3. Would have allowed him to continue to gain confidence.

With Ebanks there is still time and hope with him. He could be a nice bench player...
cthroatgtr

Postby JLaker17 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:00 pm

Brown is just horrible with managing the bench, as well as his rotations.
JLaker17

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:09 pm

obviously ebanks played well last night.

but i thought in the 4th quarter our bench played pretty well together. mike brown actually put in the rotation we all wanted to see...substituting sacre for hill of course. i thought they all played pretty well and aggressive. even blake was taking some shots. ebanks had the 3 going but wasnt settling, he faked and then drove to the rim and actually finished. there was some nice passing that ended with an open look not just pointless peremeter passing that went nowhere. meeks obviously didnt have it going but that was mike browns fault for not playing him until the 4th quarter. even if they missed sacre was there with the rebound. i think that unit is a keeper and when hills back youd get what sacre does plus more so it can only improve.

once meeks gets consistent minutes he'll get it going. ebanks needs to remain confident like that game...obviously 20 isnt gunna happen but a nice layup or 2 or maybe a 3 or two would be enough along with good D. Jamison will get it going...hes not gunna go all out in the preseason he knows better. blake was actually looking better offensively was was passing well along with good ball handling.

i liked what i saw and hopefully brown keeps that as the bench mob throughout the whole game not just 4th quarter bc they showed improvement. ebanks and jamison can help their offense as well as meeks when he gets mins.
Ariza3

Postby BDG on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:02 pm

JSM wrote:

Laker fans, I saw something in lst nite's game that I'd like to share, @DevinEbanks3 will be @Lakers surprise X factor coming off the bench.
Took the words right out of my mouth ...

Ebanks is the X-factor for the team this year.

And agreed with others who said Brown totally screwed with Devin last year by having him start then see virtually no playing time.

Guys need consistency when it comes to knowing when they're going to see minutes and who's gonna be on the floor with them.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby GoldenKnight on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:30 am

JLaker17 wrote:Brown is just horrible with managing the bench, as well as his rotations.

Blake
Meeks
Ebanks
Jamison
Hill

that simple...right Mike Brown????????

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:35 am

BDG wrote:
JSM wrote:

And agreed with others who said Brown totally screwed with Devin last year by having him start then see virtually no playing time.

Guys need consistency when it comes to knowing when they're going to see minutes and who's gonna be on the floor with them.

Ummm.....that guy left 2years ago. With Potato more likely his sub patterns will be dictated on who was hot in the morning or pre-game shoot arounds. And agree with you 100%. I felt McRoberts as well as Ebanks last year could have been more effective for us with more consistency in this guy's rotations.
LTLakerFan

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:49 am

Devin surprised me with this three-point shooting. It was a good step forward, and he's never been bad defensively. If he can shore up that backup small foward position, that would be huge.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby KB24 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:20 am

The thing is consistency and Devin hasn't shown he can do it.

He has had good moments and pretty indifferent moments. He started the season and was garbage. He went MIA for half a season. I don't really buy into Mike Brown screwing his head. Devin just didn't produce and didn't deserve to play. He started again for Kobe and had big up and downs.

Then he had an amazing game vs. the Thunder and then up and down again...he needs to play with consistency. He isn't in a position to manage resources, he has to be all in all the time on the floor. He didn't make a single 3 pointer which is pathetic for a wing. Not one.

Before calling him an x factor I want to see him do something worth of note. I have seen Tierre Brown, Leron Profit or Tonny Bobbitt light it up in pre-season just to be awful in the regular season.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby JLaker17 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:46 am

GoldenKnight wrote:
JLaker17 wrote:Brown is just horrible with managing the bench, as well as his rotations.

Blake
Meeks
Ebanks
Jamison
Hill

that simple...right Mike Brown????????

If it only it was...the only person it is difficult to would be him. :bang:
JLaker17

Postby JGC on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:02 am

BDG wrote:
JSM wrote:

Agree with that but it entirely depends on the player. I think veteran players generally, need consistent minutes to give consistent production. But giving consistent minutes to a younger player doesn't always work.

For example, we gave Farmar the primary backup PG duties and once that happened, he struggled. Sometimes, having some competition and playing more of the hot hand keeps younger guys more focused because they know they have to do the right things to stay on the court.

People think it's as simple as playing your best guys in the starting 5, and your next best 5 per position on the bench but in real life it's not always that simple. Sometimes, you have to play psychological games. Granted, sometimes that can backfire.

But the point is, it's not as simple as listing 5 names and saying that's it, it's final no exceptions. There's more to it than that but it seems easy since we typically get the benefit of hindsight.
JGC

Postby lakersStan24 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:03 pm

Devin Better Step up this Year otherwise He's out
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby XXIV on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:32 pm

lakersStan24 wrote:Devin Better Step up this Year otherwise He's out

Pretty much, he has this year to show what he can do and if it doesn't work out he'll likely be gone next year or will see his minutes reduced to nothing.
XXIV

Postby SK8 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:34 pm

Ebanks? :man3: actually this is not so bad.....

http://youtu.be/47caUw3K_W4

Bengi (Devin Ebanks) x Trey 9 (Trey Thompkins) (Feat. Devin Miles) - Own My Way [Unsigned Artist]

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhPo530M13H165JEDN
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion