Devin Ebanks Discussion (Not Returning For 13-14)

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby thkthebest on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:31 am

Barnes definitely sounded upset on the radio today, but I'm excited to see what Ebanks does for us. If he can actually do what Ariza did during our championship run, then I feel much better about this season.
thkthebest

 
Posts: 3954
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:59 pm

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby earvinfr on Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:34 am

Luke will be our 4th SF which means no playing time :jam2:
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: France

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby therealdeal on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:00 am

thkthebest wrote:Barnes definitely sounded upset on the radio today, but I'm excited to see what Ebanks does for us. If he can actually do what Ariza did during our championship run, then I feel much better about this season.


Well I'd be upset too if I lost my starting job to a young guy, but he it was his to lose and he lost it. He can earn it back if he plays hard enough.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40357
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby KB24 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:17 am

Seems like Mitch has ordered Brown to extract some value out of the young guys to create trade chips. :man1:

anyway, he really has been the best SF on this team during december.

Barnes has been sucking for the entire year (since his surgery). Artest is very inconsistent. Walton is dead weight.
Image

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
User avatar
KB24
Site Admin
 
Posts: 55536
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: In Heaven

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby SlavaMedvedenko on Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:05 am

Always feels great when one of your draft pieces starts producing. Turiaf, Farmar and Sasha were all bench players so if Ebanks ends up keeping the starter spot I'd be elated.
User avatar
SlavaMedvedenko

 
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:41 am

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby revgen on Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:17 am

Ebanks looks like the only one that can

1) Shoot the ball consistently from outside.

2) Slash off the ball

3) Defend the perimeter

Barnes can do 2 and 3. Artest can do 3 and sometimes 1. Kapono can do 1. Luke can't do any of them.

With Bynum out, it's imperative that we have 1 and 3, so it's no surprise that Ebanks got the job.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru
 
Posts: 21735
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby cthroatgtr on Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:47 am

Glad Mike made the right choice. Ebanks was simply better. Barnes is best off the bench as the longer he plays the less effective he becomes. The bench really blows this year though.
cthroatgtr

 
Posts: 2350
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:06 pm
Location: so cal

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby Bilbao-LakerMagic on Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:08 am

I read an article that said that Devin Ebanks took 1,000 shots per day during the Summer and that he improved a lot his shoting ability.

People are happy with Devin Ebanks and Darius Morris, and still waiting for Derrick Caracter. Youn people to emerge is great in a veteran Team.

I think that Devin Ebanks could be a good SF too, and that he can play more minutes per game on this upcoming Season. That is good, because even Matt Barnes could help at SG position then (a good backup for Kobe's rest during the games).


Go Lakers !!
User avatar
Bilbao-LakerMagic

 
Posts: 577
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 7:51 am

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:27 am

As much as I want to fall in love with his game, I can't help thinking this is a move to build up his trade value.. Our other SF's aren't tradeable..
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby therealdeal on Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:41 am

lakersin4 wrote:As much as I want to fall in love with his game, I can't help thinking this is a move to build up his trade value.. Our other SF's aren't tradeable..


No reason it can't be both. And if it takes the potential of Devin Ebanks to land Dwight...I can live with that.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40357
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:50 am

therealdeal wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:As much as I want to fall in love with his game, I can't help thinking this is a move to build up his trade value.. Our other SF's aren't tradeable..


No reason it can't be both. And if it takes the potential of Devin Ebanks to land Dwight...I can live with that.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.. If they want young talent with Bynum & Ebanks shows he's a capable starter that will probably get it done.. I'd love to see what the kid turns into but you can't really say no to that
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby therealdeal on Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:54 am

lakersin4 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:As much as I want to fall in love with his game, I can't help thinking this is a move to build up his trade value.. Our other SF's aren't tradeable..


No reason it can't be both. And if it takes the potential of Devin Ebanks to land Dwight...I can live with that.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.. If they want young talent with Bynum & Ebanks shows he's a capable starter that will probably get it done.. I'd love to see what the kid turns into but you can't really say no to that


I agree completely. I love what Devin has shown and the potential he shows on top of that, but if it takes he and Bynum to bring back Dwight, I'm okay with that.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40357
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby LOSLAKERS on Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:24 pm

yeaaahhh lets see what this kids got :jam2:
User avatar
LOSLAKERS

 
Posts: 521
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:07 pm

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby kobe_mamba on Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:18 pm

i am glad Ebanks has won the start, i had been thinking he might/could.....we need some youth
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
User avatar
kobe_mamba

 
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 12:07 am

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby KobeCory8 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:57 pm

cthroatgtr wrote:Glad Mike made the right choice. Ebanks was simply better. Barnes is best off the bench as the longer he plays the less effective he becomes. The bench really blows this year though.


it's really not that bad...in some cases I would even say we have improved. While we lost Shannon and LO, we added McBob, Murphy, Kapono. 2 guys that help stretch the floor in Murphy and Kapono. Mcbob provides some nice youth, athleticism and hustle. We got Morris and Goudelock who seem like they have a lot of potential especially Morris both of which I could see providing nice sparks off the bench. Barnes and Metta are now on the bench which gives us two solid sparks off the bench who can take charge of that unit(well one until Metta stops being a clown). Blake showed in his last preseason game that he is capable of being the starter and is a much better fit in Mike's offense than the triangle. So if he stays on the bench I feel like he will also be a lot better than last year. We don't have aging bigs in Theo and Joe anymore and we have youth coming off the bench. I like the potential of our bench this year. With ebanks in the starting line-up, we now have some youth and athleticism alongside drew in the starting line-up with the same core as we had to win those championships. I like our squad. hopefully, it won't take too long into the rhythm of Mike Brown's offense. We will see tomorrow
User avatar
KobeCory8

 
Posts: 1603
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:55 am

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby karacha on Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:15 pm

I also don't think our bench blows. It's better then it used to be with players like Farmar, Shannon, Sasha, Luke etc... now we have role-players who actually know how to play their role: Fisher/Blake, Morris, Kapono, Murphy, Barnes, McRoberts. And Peace now actually comes off the bench, probably as the 4; I know he's not in "basketball shape" right now, but after a while he's still going to be better then what we used to have off the bench.

Odom played starter minutes, and filled for Bynum/Pau when they were hurt so I'm not counting him as a true bench player at all.

To recap: Blake (Fisher?), Morris, (Glock?), Kapono, Barnes, World Peace, McRoberts, Murphy is acutally a very good bench. You have good shooters (we finally have legit shooters who can be a consistent threat), slashers, energy players, youngsters, veterans -- guys who know exactly what their role is and how to play it. I think it's much better then what we used to have.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
User avatar
karacha
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 37461
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby earvinfr on Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:37 am

Bilbao-LakerMagic wrote:I read an article that said that Devin Ebanks took 1,000 shots per day during the Summer and that he improved a lot his shoting ability.
Go Lakers !!

That's what happen when you try to learn from Kobe :jam2:
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: France

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby NawtKool on Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:06 am

revgen wrote:Ebanks looks like the only one that can

1) Shoot the ball consistently from outside.

2) Slash off the ball

3) Defend the perimeter

Barnes can do 2 and 3. Artest can do 3 and sometimes 1. Kapono can do 1. Luke can't do any of them.

With Bynum out, it's imperative that we have 1 and 3, so it's no surprise that Ebanks got the job.

Ain't tat an oxymoron?
If not, I'm pretty sure Barnes could sometimes shoot consistently last year as well.
NawtKool

 
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 10:56 am

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby Doberman on Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:14 am

NawtKool wrote:
revgen wrote:Ebanks looks like the only one that can

1) Shoot the ball consistently from outside.

2) Slash off the ball

3) Defend the perimeter

Barnes can do 2 and 3. Artest can do 3 and sometimes 1. Kapono can do 1. Luke can't do any of them.

With Bynum out, it's imperative that we have 1 and 3, so it's no surprise that Ebanks got the job.

Ain't tat an oxymoron?
If not, I'm pretty sure Barnes could sometimes shoot consistently last year as well.


Re-read what you just typed^^^

Barnes has never been a consistent outside shooter.
Doberman

 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:55 pm

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:14 am

The bench players aren't terrible , they're pretty decent ... however as a unit it is a terrible bench.

The problem is there is no creator in this unit ... both Kapono and Troy can knock down open looks in their sleep BUT if nobody can create them open looks , they're useless.

Same for Mcbob , decent shooter for a big and good at crushing the offensive glass for putbacks ... without Pau and Drew getting most of the attention from the opponent , the use of this skill decreases.
- Barnes is BAD at handling the ball , can't create ... another player who can only play off Kobe/Pau/Drew being double teamed

The success of our bench basically relies on two questions:
-Can Steve Blake do what he did in the 2nd preseason game night in and night out i.e pushing the ball/penetrating the D to give our shooters open looks ?
-Can Ron get back in shape quickly and actually care about B-Ball to do some damages on the block ( I mean today he will be guarded by Korver/Brewer LOL , a healthy Ron should abuse physically any backup SF in the league) ?

That being said , I expect that Mike will leave one of these 3 players Pau/Drew/Kobe on the floor with the 2nd unit.

If not our bench will be badly outscored by the opponent one ... keep in mind that Kapono and Murphy are both terrible defenders aswell
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6428
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:03 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:The bench players aren't terrible , they're pretty decent ... however as a unit it is a terrible bench.

The problem is there is no creator in this unit ... both Kapono and Troy can knock down open looks in their sleep BUT if nobody can create them open looks , they're useless.

Same for Mcbob , decent shooter for a big and good at crushing the offensive glass for putbacks ... without Pau and Drew getting most of the attention from the opponent , the use of this skill decreases.
- Barnes is BAD at handling the ball , can't create ... another player who can only play off Kobe/Pau/Drew being double teamed

The success of our bench basically relies on two questions:
-Can Steve Blake do what he did in the 2nd preseason game night in and night out i.e pushing the ball/penetrating the D to give our shooters open looks ?
-Can Ron get back in shape quickly and actually care about B-Ball to do some damages on the block ( I mean today he will be guarded by Korver/Brewer LOL , a healthy Ron should abuse physically any backup SF in the league) ?

That being said , I expect that Mike will leave one of these 3 players Pau/Drew/Kobe on the floor with the 2nd unit.

If not our bench will be badly outscored by the opponent one ... keep in mind that Kapono and Murphy are both terrible defenders aswell

No they're far from terrible.. They just have noone out there to make them look good anymore.. LO was the primary playmaker with the bench unit.. Shannon the primary ballhandler.. With both of them gone the need for good PG play has never been more clear..
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby Lakeshow24 on Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:46 pm

LOL @ Magic calling him "UBanks" during the ABC Halftime Show... :man10:

He must have had Kevin Eubanks on his mind or something when he said that.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
Image
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
User avatar
Lakeshow24

 
Posts: 4635
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby thkthebest on Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:42 pm

Ebanks has been a pleasant surprise. :jam2:
thkthebest

 
Posts: 3954
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:59 pm

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:22 pm

i like what i saw. i did not see enough of it tho...too much bluke.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
User avatar
lakersyunowin

 
Posts: 10416
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Ebanks to start...

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:33 pm

I can't wait for the thread title to change from....Ebanks to start.....to Ebanks to start AND play 35 minutes a game.

Hello Mike Brown, the dude has game if you haven't noticed.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19457
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.