Dirtiest players (current or former players)

Dirtiest players (current or former players)

Postby mo' betta blue on Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:05 pm

Every team sport whether it's basketball,football,baseball,etc. have infamous guys who have earned their reputations as being dirty players. Bill Romanowski for the NFL, Ty Cobb for baseball,and others in their sports. Basketball is not considered to be a contact sport, even though there are a lot of pushing,shoving,slapping,elbowing,etc. Football and hockey are considered contact sports where hard physical contact is part of the game. The dirty players in the NBA are not well known. These guys commit a lot of flagrant fouls, goes headhunting, love to hack on the arms and body, swing elbows to clear space or hurt other players, and generally have bad attitudes.

Who are the dirtiest players in the NBA? Current or former players? Describe an incident if you can.

A few players who come to mind were Pistons Bad Boys (Rick Mahorn, Bill Laimbeer, Dennis Rodman). I remember these guys committed a lot of hard fouls on Pippen and Jordan. Very competitive and physical games between those teams. A few other players are retired Sixers center Matt Geiger and Ron "Testy" Artest.
mo' betta blue

Postby BDG on Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:06 pm

Karl Malone. Unless you were living under a rock, you'd know this.

Wasn't Kevin McHale pretty dirty too?
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby mo' betta blue on Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:21 pm

Yeah I remember. Karl, Kevin McHale, Charles Barkley, and Mutombo were well known elbow throwers during the 80's and 90's. Now, there's a rule against any attempt to raise or throw an elbow when a player has the rebound. Last year, I remember Laker player (Horry?) raised one elbow at another player after Horry had the rebound on the other hand. He didnt make contact with the elbow but a referee called a foul on Horry based on that new rule. Horry was never a dirty player for the record.
mo' betta blue

Postby Guest on Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:51 pm

Bill Lambier by far.

Postby VeeReefan on Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:32 pm

Karl Malone- elbowed Zeke who needed about 40 stitches because he took Stockton to school. Malone likes to pick on the "little" people.

Bill Cartwright and Robert Parrish- too many to name

Charles Oakley- also too many to name, but was scared to commit a hard foul on MJ when he was a Knick

Shaq- looks like he's playing football, nearly broke Ben Wallace's collarbone and back last night

Robert Horry- very subtle with his dirty tactics, except when he tried to castrate Tim Duncan
VeeReefan

Postby shaqpak34 on Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:08 pm

mo' betta blue wrote:Yeah I remember. Karl, Kevin McHale, Charles Barkley, and Mutombo were well known elbow throwers during the 80's and 90's. Now, there's a rule against any attempt to raise or throw an elbow when a player has the rebound. Last year, I remember Laker player (Horry?) raised one elbow at another player after Horry had the rebound on the other hand. He didnt make contact with the elbow but a referee called a foul on Horry based on that new rule. Horry was never a dirty player for the record.

never dirty until he smacked david robinson in the nuts...LOL!

poor guy....
but ya malone was hella dirty...what was it 54 stitches or something for isiah??
shaqpak34

Postby BDG on Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:05 pm

VeeReefan wrote:Shaq- looks like he's playing football, nearly broke Ben Wallace's collarbone and back last night

Robert Horry- very subtle with his dirty tactics, except when he tried to castrate Tim Duncan
How can you say Shaq or Horry? That's a poor example of Shaq playing dirty, it wasn't intentional at all. Horry maybe just had that one instance (btw it was Robinson not Duncan), but he's never been a dirty player other than that one time.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Guest on Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:08 pm

Karl Malone gave Isiah Thomas 90 stitches with one slap in the first half of a Utah-Detroit game.

Isiah got stitched up and played the second half. Now that's tough.

Postby Kobe834 on Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:35 pm

If Shaq would have landed the punch on Brad, he'll be the top guy.
Kobe834

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:42 pm

Ron Artest is becoming a dirty player, much like rodman was and laimbeer...karl malone will alwasy be a dirty player, i want to say that vlade divac is a dirty player but hes become a pu$$y over tha yrs with his flopping....and i jus cant stand it anymore...
FabFourLakers

Postby LakerFanFor16Years on Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:23 pm

Floppy and Duncrap
LakerFanFor16Years

Postby mv_ix on Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:50 am

70's mo lucas of the portland trailblazers (the big red head named his son luke in honor of him), 80's rick mahorn of the bad boy pistons, didn't score much, basically a goon. also john stockton, all he did was grab and undercut on screens on hte baseline.
mv_ix

Postby hig on Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:29 am

Remember that clothesline on Rambis?? Wasn't that a Celtic?? I don't remember which one...McHale..Parrish?? (I hate the Celtics)
hig

Postby SWOL on Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:53 am

ROMO
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby guest on Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:01 pm

How many of you remember when Karl elbowed DRob in the dome and he fell slow like a tree! Timber. It was dirty but it was pretty funny

Postby mv_ix on Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:46 pm

hig wrote:Remember that clothesline on Rambis?? Wasn't that a Celtic?? I don't remember which one...McHale..Parrish?? (I hate the Celtics)

it was mchale
mv_ix

Postby mazter_roshi on Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:48 pm

Artest is pretty dirty, Rodman was dirrtttyyyy.
mazter_roshi

Postby crucifido on Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:25 pm

5) Charles Oakley
4) Rick Mahorn
3) Karl Malone
2) Robert Parrish
1) Bill Laimbeer
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby BDG on Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:58 pm

swolswol wrote:ROMO
Haha that's football, but remember when he spit in JJ Stokes' face?! That was messed up!

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Guest on Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:22 pm

guest wrote:How many of you remember when Karl elbowed DRob in the dome and he fell slow like a tree! Timber. It was dirty but it was pretty funny

How can someone getting elbowed in the head and being knocked out be funny???

Karl Malone dirtiest player in NBA.
Followed by
Laimbeer
Rodman
Mutombo

Postby Guest on Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:24 pm

Add Duncan to the list of big men who have been knocked out by a Malone elbow.

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:26 pm

Duncan ran into Malone's elbow last night... The replays clearly showed it. Malone went up for a shot to draw a foul and Duncan ran into it...
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Guest on Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:59 pm

nonetheless, add him to the list.

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:53 pm

jus another victim of tha MALONE elbow! and then he started moaning to tha refs for an offensive foul! u shoulda seen tha look on his face! "but he hit me ref and it HURTS!" what a lil b*tch!
FabFourLakers

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:02 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:jus another victim of tha MALONE elbow! and then he started moaning to tha refs for an offensive foul! u shoulda seen tha look on his face! "but he hit me ref and it HURTS!" what a lil b*tch!

He didn't even hit him... Duncan hit Malone's elbow. If anything Duncan was the run that ran into him. So if players run into him, he's automatically for blame? Malone got kicked in the face, but was he cryin like a b*tch? No.. He's 40 years old for God sakes.. Duncan has years ahead of him. He whines too much. Malone just shrugs it off.
LakersGyrl2003

Next

Return to NBA Discussion