Donald Sterling: Get away from me you pig!

Re: Donald Sterling: Banned for life!

Postby Lakerjones on Tue May 27, 2014 10:45 pm

:man10: :man10: :man10: So much for the Donald coming to his senses!! I don't know what to make of this teeter totter act, but he's either totally lost it and is delusional going back and forth or the initial report was just straight out wrong to begin with. Either way, I thought it was too good to be true and I did say I would believe it when I saw it.

No, the Donald must be the Donald and will drag everything down with him. Cool, there will be fireworks early after all. Let's break out the popcorn and get ready for the show.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Psychobroker on Wed May 28, 2014 1:34 am

Lakerjones wrote::man10: :man10: :man10: So much for the Donald coming to his senses!! I don't know what to make of this teeter totter act, but he's either totally lost it and is delusional going back and forth or the initial report was just straight out wrong to begin with. Either way, I thought it was too good to be true and I did say I would believe it when I saw it.

No, the Donald must be the Donald and will drag everything down with him. Cool, there will be fireworks early after all. Let's break out the popcorn and get ready for the show.

Before the NBA illegally used those illegally taped conversations, no one cared about Donald Sterling...esp no one here at CL. So, I :man10: at all this fake uproar. Sterling will win and Trump will never see his nickname again.
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed May 28, 2014 7:38 am

The Sterlings maybe are playing chess while the league's playing checkers? Or they're crazy. But high powered attorneys are engaged and in gear, so more likely the former.

From Times this morning, once again, Shelly is in rapid hunt to find a buyer. (I think operative term would be of their choosing). Before the vote by other owners on Tuesday June 3. So complying, but not in the manner the league wants. Look the hell out if as Puffy said on previous page, Silver and the owners are reaching too far.

Shelly Sterling attempting to push through hurried sale of Clippers

Los Angeles Clippers co-owner Shelly Sterling is mounting a hurried sale of the team she and her husband have owned for 33 years and could name a prospective new owner of the NBA franchise by the end of the week, a person familiar with the situation said.

Sterling is rushing to sell the team long headed by her husband, Donald, in an attempt to beat a deadline of next Tuesday, when owners of the 30 pro basketball teams will be asked to strip control of the team from both of the Sterlings, after Donald Sterling’s racially charged remarks about blacks.

The developments in the NBA’s biggest ownership crisis came on the same day that a defiant Sterling lashed out at what he called the league’s “illegal termination process.” In a cover letter to the 29-page document, obtained by The Times, Sterling said he had already received offers “in excess of $2.5 billion” for his team. In his response, he criticized the NBA for insisting on his ouster for what he deemed a single illegally-recorded conversation of what he deemed “a lover’s quarrel.”

The series of events suggested a potentially quick resolution to a controversy that appeared as if it might drag on for months or more, though people familiar with the situation cautioned that the sale is far from complete and must be approved by the NBA’s other owners.

(a related article in here says Donald is claiming one offer of 2.5 billion is out there)

The magnitude of the Clippers deal and the field of prospective owners had begun to crystallize Tuesday, with one likely bidder dismissing the $2.5 billion price tag but saying the team would likely go for more than $1 billion. That would be the highest sale price in NBA history, topping the $550 million the Milwaukee Bucks were sold for in April.

One new buyers alliance already came together in recent days when Chicago-based Guggenheim Partners, which bought the Dodgers two years ago for more than $2 billion, agreed to work with a trio of billionaires who previously said they would launch their own bid for the Clippers — Oracle software co-founder Larry Ellison, entertainment magnate David Geffen and mega-entrepreneur Oprah Winfrey.

Another partnership included three principals who have significant ties to major league sports — Tony Ressler, the Los Angeles-based co-founder of the investment firm Ares Management and a minority owner of baseball’s Milwaukee Brewers; Bruce Karsh, co-founder of Oaktree Capital Management and a minority owner of the NBA’s Golden State Warriors; and Grant Hill, a onetime NBA all-star who finished his career with the Clippers.

Also expected to bid for the team after meeting with Shelly Sterling on Sunday is Steve Ballmer, who stepped down as chief executive of Microsoft in February after leading the software company for 14 years.

Ballmer last year joined a group, led by hedge fund manager Chris Hansen, to bid on the Sacramento Kings and intended to move the team to Seattle. NBA owners voted to reject the proposed move.

Ballmer said in an interview with the Wall Street Journal that, if he succeeded in his new bid, he would not attempt to move the Clippers. He said the team would lose much of its value by leaving L.A.

One of the bidders, who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of negotiations, said Tuesday that the process would move quickly. “The bids are due Thursday afternoon at 2 p.m.,” the bidder said. “We will probably know who bought the team by Friday.”

Any deal would be contingent on the approval of three-quarters of the NBA’s owners. People familiar with the league’s position said the NBA would continue with the process of removing the Sterlings at a hearing next Tuesday in New York, to keep the pressure on for completion of the sale.

Michael Bass, the NBA’s chief spokesman, reiterated the comments of Commissioner Adam Silver last week: “It would be a preferred outcome if the Sterlings were to voluntarily transfer 100% of the ownership in the team to new owners, rather than to have their ownership in the team terminated.”

Donald Sterling’s wife of 58 years has held half of the team through a family trust but only recently came to the forefront when her husband said he had turned over control to her and would let her attempt to sell the team. Donald Sterling remains the controlling owner of the team in the eyes of the NBA, but league officials said they would not stand in the way of any legitimate sale.

The Clippers had just concluded their most successful regular season and were in the playoffs when Sterling’s racially charged remarks against African Americans were posted on the celebrity website TMZ.

The comments unleashed fury among fans, a threatened boycott by players and the flight of sponsors. Silver fined the owner $2.5 million (which Sterling refused to pay), placed a lifetime ban on him and urged owners to force him out of the league.

Much of the defense that Sterling emailed to the NBA hours before a midnight deadline Tuesday centered on his complaint that he was being taken to task for remarks he made in private to V. Stiviano.

Stiviano, 31, was a frequent companion and sometime assistant to the 80-year-old Sterling. Stiviano has described her relationship with the elderly real estate magnate as platonic, akin to a father and daughter. But Sterling has made clear he was enamored of her and depicted his statements as the result of a “lovers’ quarrel.”

Stiviano has said she routinely made recordings of Sterling and at times used them to try to coach him to be more polite. She said he knew about a recording she made in September 2013, when they argued about an Instagram photo she took with Lakers legend Magic Johnson.

Sterling reiterated in his written defense Tuesday that he did not know Stiviano was recording him. He called the audio “illegally recorded.” California law prohibits recording an individual without that person's permission.

The response went on to claim that Sterling was “distraught” when he made the statements, because Stiviano told him she planned to bring “four gorgeous black guys to the game” and that those strong feelings should be viewed by the NBA as a mitigating factor.

“This was an argument between a jealous man and the woman he loved that should never have left the privacy of the living room,” the response said.

The document further claims that Sterling is hindered from conducting his own investigation of the matter because he’s “locked out of his office at Staples Center" — part of his ban from the league. The response said it did not “believe a court in the United States of America will enforce the draconian penalties imposed on Mr. Sterling in these circumstances.... Indeed, we believe that preservation of Mr. Sterling’s constitutional rights requires that these sham proceedings be terminated in Mr. Sterling's favor.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow ... story.html
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 28, 2014 9:05 am

:man10:

Wouldn't the NBA have to approve the sale anyway? They'd just veto the sale and the process will continue.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed May 28, 2014 9:55 am

therealdeal wrote::man10:

Wouldn't the NBA have to approve the sale anyway? They'd just veto the sale and the process will continue.

Maybe that's what Sterling wants them to do? :man1: Chess. If they turn him down with a "qualified" and rich ownership ready to go, now they have likely given him even more leverage for a ginormous lawsuit. Over and above whatever other angles he's exploring. :man9: It's really getting close to popcorn time with next Tuesday and Sterling talking to the owners. ( :bow: ) If he does it. And them voting him out, knowing full well ole Don has dirt on a lot of them. :shaq: :kobe1:
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 28, 2014 10:48 am

LTLakerFan wrote:

Maybe that's what Sterling wants them to do? :man1: Chess. If they turn him down with a "qualified" and rich ownership ready to go, now they have likely given him even more leverage for a ginormous lawsuit. Over and above whatever other angles he's exploring. :man9: It's really getting close to popcorn time with next Tuesday and Sterling talking to the owners. ( :bow: ) If he does it. And them voting him out, knowing full well ole Don has dirt on a lot of them. :shaq: :kobe1:

I really hope this carries on forever. Get those NBA players to call their bluff! No one will play for the Clippers while he's the owner huh? Well no matter what the NBA tries to do, money still goes to Sterling until this lawsuit is done. :man10:

Come on across the hall guys. Play for the real LA while all this gets worked out.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Psychobroker on Wed May 28, 2014 10:57 am

therealdeal wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:

I really hope this carries on forever. Get those NBA players to call their bluff! No one will play for the Clippers while he's the owner huh? Well no matter what the NBA tries to do, money still goes to Sterling until this lawsuit is done. :man10:

Come on across the hall guys. Play for the real LA while all this gets worked out.

yep - plus treble damages.. the NBA really stepped in it this time.
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 28, 2014 11:03 am

I mean it's really terrible that this comes out now mere months after the real culprit left: David Stern.

Stern had the ability to kick this guy out and get this process done years ago, but he made it clear he didn't care who invested in the NBA as long as the checks cleared.

I've been saying it from the start: just wait until Donald starts dishing secrets about the other owners. Cuban and his slightly racist comments will be a thing of the past when people realize some of the **** these other owners are doing.

This is going to be long and drawn out. The players better get wise.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed May 28, 2014 11:13 am

Oh and like is being reported, in court they will call "crooked" Stern in to testify under oath what he knew when. Munch munch munch.

Anyone else feel like Donald, Shelly and both of their attorneys may all now be working together like a finely oiled piece of machinery? Dysfunction, if it is that between the two of them, now set aside for huge dollar "basketball reasons"?
LTLakerFan

Postby jlkr on Wed May 28, 2014 11:46 am

Wow wow wee!! (to steal the title from that Filipino show)

More popcorn please!

Definite power play taking place here. I don't believe for a second the $2.5bn figure that Sterling has thrown out. What I do believe is that is him letting the NBA know he's going to bleed them dry if they keep at him. He'll let the team go, but it will be on his terms. Or else.

I think ultimately he wants to make sure the team doesn't go to Magic.

Turns out Clippers have 9 years left on the Staples lease. So that's another reason in addition to the price tag that they are definitely not going anywhere else.

Two years left on the TV deal. This might be the hangup against the super high price the Clippers are expected to command due to the resistance we've seen against the Dodgers network pricing. I believe the Lakers' deal was it for new channels at large prices crammed down the throat of local cable/satellite providers, that the market has pretty much hit saturation with that.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed May 28, 2014 1:29 pm

Rooscooter wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:
dmaul wrote:^ I expect no less from Sterling. What was up with all this nonsense about having Shelly assume control and supervise the sale of the team? Since this whole story broke it's like both Donald and Shelly have gone in every direction. At times it looks like they were ready to throw in the towel and give into the public's wishes. At times it looks like they were hunkering down and getting ready for world war by hiring these top notch attorneys. It was even conceivable to me that the CNN interview he gave where he came off sounding like a senile old man was a strategic move, an insurance policy he was taking out in case he had to use it later. I thought all this must have been some part of a bigger ploy for Donald to unleash with both barrels on the NBA.

I think he wanted his money and to sell to who he wanted to sell too. Unfortunately the nba wanted its pound of flesh and the rest of the meat too. the whole idea that they are going to take his property AND give it to a minority owner for the sake of pleasing social outrage is not only stupid but illegal. The league played stupid and I think Sterling is salivating now. Roo has been all over this from day 1 and so have I.

Preach brother Puffy.......

Sterling is a repulsive idiot but that doesn't mean the law should be ignored for PC politics and/or because a majority dislike him. That's not how free society's work.

We'll now see how the courts see this. Little if any legal precedence exists to support removing ones property forcefully who hasn't broken a law or hasn't caused harm. A ton exists protecting privacy and as I pointed out before.... Roe vs Wade is a privacy case so any new case law has the chance of of starting that whole thing again....so I'm not sure an activist from the bench goes there.

I think he'll win.... The NBA will as well so look for a "deal" of some sort that gives Sterling something more.

it will be very interesting to see what actual leg the league has to stand on. At its most basic the league has used the release of the tapes to justify this action. However, using information obtained with dirty hands nearly always invalidates the information as far as I understand it. I believe the Sterlings will attack that first because without it the league has absolutely no grounds which then opens the door for Sterling's very large lawsuit against the league. He isn't going for a billion bucks I think he is going for much more.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed May 28, 2014 2:43 pm

Was listening to Ireland and Mason awhile ago. They were going back and forth whether there actually is a vote or not now, if the League and Silver get cold feet and back away from giving "Shelly" :man1: any problems about who she :man1: finds to sell to. They seemed to agree that a number of the owners definitely are not going to want to have their dirt put on display also like Sterling's. And thinking that a deal will get done, and approved, maybe the vote initially postponed, so it can ultimately not happen.

What's the Ruskie's deal BTW, everyone keeps mentioning? Is he ex KGB or something with murders in his past? :man10: Rich Devos with anti gay proclamations and on down the list for a number of them. Not to mention players' bad, ignored other than hand slaps….. transgressions. As others have mentioned.
LTLakerFan

Postby gcclaker on Wed May 28, 2014 3:22 pm

therealdeal wrote:I mean it's really terrible that this comes out now mere months after the real culprit left: David Stern.

Stern had the ability to kick this guy out and get this process done years ago, but he made it clear he didn't care who invested in the NBA as long as the checks cleared.

I've been saying it from the start: just wait until Donald starts dishing secrets about the other owners. Cuban and his slightly racist comments will be a thing of the past when people realize some of the **** these other owners are doing.

This is going to be long and drawn out. The players better get wise.

I still remember West staring down Stern at the late Dr. Buss' funeral stating that there is no owner that had more integrity. That resonates now more than ever.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed May 28, 2014 3:50 pm

I do too. You could see Jerry was not happy with the little sleazy gnome.

The "hits" just keep on coming. Well…...the TMZ like Yahoo updates keep on coming anyway :man10:

Deadline for bids to buy Clippers from Sterlings reportedly drawing near: Who might try to buy the team?
Dan Devine By Dan Devine
2 hours ago
Ball Don't Lie

If you're looking to make a bid for the Los Angeles Clippers, you'd better hurry up. Bloomberg's Scott Soshnick reports that those interested in purchasing the franchise faced "a deadline of 5 p.m. New York time to submit their bids for the National Basketball Association team, according to three people with direct knowledge of the situation." That'd be 5 p.m. ET today, Wednesday, May 28.

That's a full day earlier than what had previously been reported by the Los Angeles Times:

One of the bidders, who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of negotiations, said Tuesday that the process would move quickly. “The bids are due Thursday afternoon at 2 p.m.,” the bidder said. “We will probably know who bought the team by Friday.”
And then there's this, from the New York Post's Tim Bontemps:

Movement toward the sale of the Clippers has picked up steam since last Friday, when the news broke that longtime owner Donald Sterling — who was banned from the NBA for life and fined $2.5 million by NBA Commissioner Adam Silver after the publication of audio recordings that featured him making racist remarks — had agreed to allow his wife, Rochelle "Shelly" Sterling, to oversee the sale of the team.

“We’re working furiously to secure a buyer, and we’re working cooperatively with the NBA on the sale process,” Pierce O’Donnell, Rochelle Sterling’s lawyer, told Scott Cacciola of the New York Times on Tuesday. O'Donnell is reportedly handling the sale of the team with several other lawyers. Bank of America has also been retained to facilitate the sale.

News that Donald Sterling would assent to a sale came as something of a surprise. Before his ban came down, he had said that the team was not for sale. Two weeks ago, following Sterling's disastrous CNN interview, his attorney informed the NBA that he wouldn't pay his $2.5 million fine and threatened to sue the league over its efforts to invoke a clause in the league's constitution that would begin the process of terminating Sterling's ownership of the franchise and force its sale to an outside buyer.

The mixed messaging continued Tuesday, with the man who bought the Clippers for a reported $12.5 million in 1981 digging in and bowing his back. In connection with the official response to the NBA's charge to terminate Donald Sterling's ownership, Sterling attorney Max Blecher told ESPN.com's Ramona Shelburne that his client isn't cosigning Shelly's moves toward a sale:

[...] Blecher, told ESPN on Tuesday that his client "is going to fight to the bloody end" and has effectively "disavowed" the agreement he reached with his wife last week that would allow her to negotiate a sale of the team.

"I don't know what agreement she has with him, but I'm saying to you today, he disavows anything she's doing to sell the team," Blecher said. "He says, 'It's my team, and I'll sell it when and if I get around to it.'"
Asked why Sterling seems to have had a change of heart, Blecher said, "He was in a state of shock at first. Now he's recovering and he's much more feisty."

In his resurgent feistiness, Donald Sterling may have overlooked a document contradicting this recent round of disavowals, according to Cacciola of the New York Times:

Donald Sterling appeared to authorize his wife, Rochelle, to negotiate a sale of the Los Angeles Clippers in a letter he sent to the N.B.A. through one of his longtime lawyers last Thursday.

The letter, a copy of which was obtained Wednesday by The New York Times, stands in stark contrast to a 32-page document Sterling and his legal team sent to the N.B.A. Tuesday night in which he vowed to fight the league in its efforts to strip him of his ownership of the Clippers.

The letter, which was signed by Sterling, was addressed to Commissioner Adam Silver and Richard Buchanan, the league’s vice president and general counsel. It reads, in part: “This letter confirms that Donald T. Sterling authorizes Rochelle Sterling to negotiate with the National Basketball Association regarding all issues in connection with a sale of the Los Angeles Clippers team, owned by LAC Basketball Club, Inc.”

Well, OK, then.

None of these new twists and turns seems to have influenced the NBA into changing its course. From the Tuesday night statement issued by NBA vice president of communications Mike Bass:

“This evening, the NBA received responses from Donald and Shelly Sterling to the charge to terminate the current ownership interests in the Los Angeles Clippers. The NBA Board of Governors will meet on June 3 at 1 p.m. in New York City to hear and vote upon this matter. Should the Board vote to sustain the charge, the Sterlings’ interests in the Clippers will be terminated and the team will be sold.”

That said, the NBA isn't opposed to Shelly Sterling getting a deal done — so long as said deal results in the Sterlings owning absolutely no piece of the Clippers. From USA TODAY Sports' Brent Schrotenboer:

"As the Commissioner said last week, it would be a preferred outcome if the Sterlings were to voluntarily transfer 100% of the ownership in the team to new owners, rather than to have their ownership in the team terminated," Bass told USA TODAY Sports via e-mail.

So we've got Donald Sterling claiming he's going to fight the sale of the Clippers tooth and nail, Shelly Sterling pushing full steam ahead regardless, the NBA saying it doesn't really care what the Sterlings do because the June 3 hearing and eventual termination vote's going to happen no matter what, and bids for a franchise valued by some analysts between $1 billion and $2 billion apparently being due any minute now.

If, in fact, the deadline is real, a sale is coming, and a deal can get done to the NBA's satisfaction, who are the most likely candidates to buy the Clippers?

Let's go down the list:

• Oprah Winfrey, David Geffen and Larry Ellison. Our Kelly Dwyer considered this collective back in April — tons of cash, tons of Hollywood cachet and one member (Ellison) with long-established interest in buying into the NBA during previous ownership auctions for a pair of other California franchises, the Golden State Warriors and Sacramento Kings. A spokesperson for Oprah Winfrey confirmed Tuesday that she's still interested a month after the initial reports.

• Magic Johnson and the Guggenheim Partners. Yahoo Sports NBA columnist Adrian Wojnarowski first reported back in April that the Los Angeles Lakers Hall of Fame point guard and the Chicago-based financial backers with whom he purchased the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2012 were interested in buying the Clippers. Johnson later denied interest, but two days later told a gathering of Southern California business leaders that he and his partners wanted to be in the mix.

"Magic Johnson knows he's always welcome as an owner in this league," Silver said during the press conference announcing Sterling's ban.

Interestingly enough, those two high-profile, deep-pocketed groups might not be bidding against one another, according to the L.A. Times:

One new buyers alliance already came together in recent days when Chicago-based Guggenheim Partners, which bought the Dodgers two years ago for more than $2 billion, agreed to work with a trio of billionaires who previously said they would launch their own bid for the Clippers — Oracle software co-founder Larry Ellison, entertainment magnate David Geffen and mega-entrepreneur Oprah Winfrey.
If that partnership holds up, it will be interesting to see if any other collective can match its combination of funding and appeal.

• Grant Hill, Tony Ressler and Bruce Karsh. ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported that the former NBA All-Star had joined up with Ressler and Karsh, two billionaire investors and longtime Southern California residents with major-league ownership credentials, to get in the game:

Sources told ESPN.com that Hill's group is already regarded by league officials as a viable contender for the Clippers in what is forecast to be a highly competitive auction when the franchise finally hits the open market. One industry source told ESPN.com this week that the bidding could start as high as the $1.5 billion range. [...]
Hill is just completing his first season in retirement after a 19-year career that featured seven All-Star appearances. Ressler is the co-founder of Ares Management and a minority owner of the Milwaukee Brewers. Karsh is president and co-founder of Oaktree Capital Management and currently serves a minority owner of the Golden State Warriors.

Ressler reportedly met with Shelly Sterling "at a Malibu restaurant last weekend to discuss a potential bid," according to Reuters.

• Steve Ballmer. The former Microsoft CEO joined with hedge fund manager Chris Hansen last year in an attempt to buy the Kings for a price of $525 million (which was later raised to $575 million) and relocate them to Washington state, where they'd re-brand and come back in the green and gold of the Seattle SuperSonics. Their efforts, as you know, were not successful, with the allegedly volatile Ballmer reportedly ruffling some feathers in the process.

Still, he's a very wealthy man with at least some experience in working on a sale with difficult owners and the NBA, and his interest in buying into the league isn't Seattle-specific, according to a conversation he had with the Wall Street Journal two weeks ago:

WSJ: You’ve tried a couple times to buy an NBA franchise to return a basketball team to Seattle. Are you interested in the Los Angeles Clippers, if the team goes up for sale?

Ballmer: I have nothing definitive to say. Am I right on top of what’s going on there? Absolutely I am. I love basketball, and I’d love to participate at some point in the NBA. If the opportunity is outside of Seattle, so be it. I will learn about any team that comes up for sale at this point.

WSJ: So you wouldn’t move the Clippers to Seattle?

Ballmer: If I get interested in the Clippers, it would be for Los Angeles. I don’t work anymore, so I have more geographic flexibility than I did a year, year-and-a half ago. Moving them anywhere else would be value destructive.

TMZ reported Sunday that Ballmer and Shelly Sterling were meeting at her Malibu mansion to discuss a bid.

• Patrick Soon-Shiong. The 61-year-old Soon-Shiong — a surgeon, medical researcher, UCLA professor, philanthropist and businessman — is reportedly the richest man in Los Angeles, with a net worth estimated by Forbes at $10 billion. He bought Magic's 4.5 percent ownership stake in the Lakers in June 2011, and was part of a group that bid unsuccessfully against Johnson and Guggenheim for the Dodgers in 2012. ESPN.com's Darren Rovell has confirmed that Soon-Shiong intends to bid on the Clippers.

• Rick Caruso. A billionaire real-estate developer whose firm, Caruso Affiliated, owns and operates a number of properties in the Los Angeles area, most notably The Grove. He, too, had been in the running for the Dodgers in 2012, in partnership with former Dodgers manager Joe Torre, before withdrawing his bid in February of that year. He has said he'd be interested in being in the bidding for the Clippers, according to Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times.

• Floyd Mayweather. The 37-year-old undefeated five-division boxing champion expressed interest in being part of a group to buy the Clippers before his recent victory over Marcos Maidana, according to Yahoo Sports boxing columnist Kevin Iole:

Mayweather [...] said he called his powerful adviser, Al Haymon, earlier Tuesday to discuss putting together a group.

"Actually, I called Al today about that, to see if me, Leonard [Ellerbe], Richard [Schaefer], Al and a couple of my billionaire guys could come together and see what we could come up with," said Mayweather, a devoted bettor on NBA games. "Let's see if we can do it, and it's not just talk. I wouldn't mind. Once I get ownership in the Clippers, I could no longer bet. I'd have to stop that completely.

"You know with me, I can't come in here and talk about, 'Mayweather's only going to get three percent, four percent.' I've got to get a solid percentage. Do we want to buy the Clippers? Yes, we do. We're very, very interested in buying the Clippers."

Whether the NBA would be interest in being the newest members of The Money Team, though, remains to be seen.

(I still think it's a smoke and mirrors strategy with Donald and Shelly and the 2 sets of lawyers, all of them possibly working together, to get the most money from a sale, sell to whom they want, not whom the league might want, and to set up the NBA for lawsuits) For one thing, even with the huge profit on the team, doing it this fast has not allowed any time to set up the tax implications how he might have done it otherwise. So maybe he gets the huge price and then sues the league to recoup some of the capital gains taxes he's being forced to incur all of a sudden.?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball- ... 54924.html
LTLakerFan

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed May 28, 2014 6:27 pm

Well the league well pay for their basketball reasons. Over and over again :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby dmaul on Wed May 28, 2014 7:51 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:
dmaul wrote:^ I expect no less from Sterling. What was up with all this nonsense about having Shelly assume control and supervise the sale of the team? Since this whole story broke it's like both Donald and Shelly have gone in every direction. At times it looks like they were ready to throw in the towel and give into the public's wishes. At times it looks like they were hunkering down and getting ready for world war by hiring these top notch attorneys. It was even conceivable to me that the CNN interview he gave where he came off sounding like a senile old man was a strategic move, an insurance policy he was taking out in case he had to use it later. I thought all this must have been some part of a bigger ploy for Donald to unleash with both barrels on the NBA.

I think he wanted his money and to sell to who he wanted to sell too. Unfortunately the nba wanted its pound of flesh and the rest of the meat too. the whole idea that they are going to take his property AND give it to a minority owner for the sake of pleasing social outrage is not only stupid but illegal. The league played stupid and I think Sterling is salivating now. Roo has been all over this from day 1 and so have I.

Preach brother Puffy.......

Sterling is a repulsive idiot but that doesn't mean the law should be ignored for PC politics and/or because a majority dislike him. That's not how free society's work.

We'll now see how the courts see this. Little if any legal precedence exists to support removing ones property forcefully who hasn't broken a law or hasn't caused harm. A ton exists protecting privacy and as I pointed out before.... Roe vs Wade is a privacy case so any new case law has the chance of of starting that whole thing again....so I'm not sure an activist from the bench goes there.

I think he'll win.... The NBA will as well so look for a "deal" of some sort that gives Sterling something more.

it will be very interesting to see what actual leg the league has to stand on. At its most basic the league has used the release of the tapes to justify this action. However, using information obtained with dirty hands nearly always invalidates the information as far as I understand it. I believe the Sterlings will attack that first because without it the league has absolutely no grounds which then opens the door for Sterling's very large lawsuit against the league. He isn't going for a billion bucks I think he is going for much more.

When this thing broke, I didn't think the NBA had any legal recourse to get rid of him. After all, he didn't do anything illegal and frankly, I didn't think the league had that kind of power. Never knew the league's constitution had a clause where you could force owners to sell with a 3/4 majority vote. The only way I saw this happening was Sterling himself succumbing to public pressure and criticism and deciding to sell on his own accord.

MLB has this "preserving the integrity of the game" clause in their bylaws and it seems to work for them whenever someone tries to sue baseball. The judge usually sides with baseball. This miniscule statement in the NBA's constitution with its vague wording is the closest basketball has to this. So you could say the audiotape, legal or not, is immaterial. The damage has been done in the perception of the American public. Advertisers don't want this guy. Players don't want this guy. And the fans don't want this guy. He's a black eye on the sport and is hurting our reputation and ability to do business. Of course, those last four sentences are a pile of manure, but that's what I'd be arguing if I were an attorney for the NBA. Aside from that, I'm not sure what other grounds the league has to stand on if they expect to win this thing in court. I would not dwell on the contents of the tape at all. I don't see any advantage in focusing on anything he's said in the tape or in interviews thereafter.
dmaul

Postby lakefansac on Thu May 29, 2014 4:33 pm

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/11003237/former-microsoft-executive-steve-ballmer-submits-winning-bid-buy-clippers-according-sources

Former Microsoft exec to buy Clips

Former Microsoft executive Steve Ballmer has submitted a winning bid of $2 billion to buy the Los Angeles Clippers, sources have confirmed to ESPN.

Sources tell ESPN's Darren Rovell that Ballmer's bid beat out bids from groups led by David Geffen ($1.6 billion) and L.A. investors Tony Ressler and Steve Karsh ($1.2 billion).

The $2 billion price tag would be the second-most ever for a professional sports franchise. The Los Angeles Dodgers were sold in 2012 for $2.1 billion.

The news was first reported by the Los Angeles Times.

That will definitely teach Donald Sterling a lesson! Let's see, bought it for 12 million, 600 million in capital gains taxes and selling for 2 billion. Guess money won out over the lawsuit, but we'll see. Silver has an easy way out unless he's willing to push and wants a minority owner like Oprah or Yao Ming. I wonder how much the Lakers would go for considering the Clippers are considerered L.A.'s second basketball team.
Last edited by lakefansac on Thu May 29, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakefansac

Postby Doc Brown on Thu May 29, 2014 4:38 pm

Sterling is going to get 2 billion, sue the NBA for another 100 million and watch Clippers games on a 100 inch TV from the comforts of his 500 million dollar home.

Who is the real loser here? :man11:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Barnstable on Thu May 29, 2014 4:46 pm

If true, I'm loving it. Balmer isn't a basketball mind, he's a retail guy. He'll market the heck out of them and keep them just as mediocre as they currently are.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Thu May 29, 2014 4:49 pm

Hopefully he moves them to Seattle.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Thu May 29, 2014 4:51 pm

^Also sounds like something he would do.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Re: Donald Sterling: 2 Billion Ballmer bid!

Postby Lakerjones on Thu May 29, 2014 4:52 pm

:man4: 2 Billion? If true, that's insane. Just crazy.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu May 29, 2014 4:53 pm

I dunno. Still a racist organization…. rich "white" owner. Maybe Silver will not like this, not their wet dream minority owner needed to make up for bad old man racist Sterling. Magic, partners, Oprah, Ellison & Geffen (reportedly all together in joint effort) outbid :man4: :man10:

But Silver should be all over this. Should preclude having to do the vote and Sterling ripping them all a new one with the "dirt" he has. Though Donald is probably still going to rip them a new one somehow, just for spite. And the "archivist" and TMZ and the Clippers employee that she gave the conversation to for sending it to TMZ.
Last edited by LTLakerFan on Thu May 29, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LTLakerFan

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu May 29, 2014 4:54 pm

TIME wrote:Hopefully he moves them to Seattle.

He's already said he won't move them out of the L.A. market. Not for 2 freaking billion price tag.
LTLakerFan

Re: Donald Sterling: 2 Billion Ballmer bid!

Postby Aonex on Thu May 29, 2014 5:03 pm

With the amount of money he has, he'll probably just build his own arena somewhere in L.A... although moving the team to Seattle would be perfect.
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion