Dwight Coward Discussion

Re: Dwight Coward Discussion

Postby D.B. Cooper on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:55 pm

MWP referred to him as the new guy.
D.B. Cooper

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:05 pm

Funny thing is, he put a huge target on himself with the corny a** line about how he's betting $30M that Houston is the team for him to win a title.

The city of Houston and their fans might not care much if he falls short of a title, but the rest of the country will be clowning him every year that he falls short in the playoffs. Clown definitely seems like the type that just cant help but to constantly read up on what everyone has to say about him.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Helljumper on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:55 am

Ice Cube spitting truth last year

Ice Cube going in on Dwight Coward yesterday (NSFW Language)
Helljumper

Postby nameant on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:00 am

Take this fool off the top banner...come on...
nameant

Postby jbiggs on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:29 am

heres a shirt my buddy made to commemorate the cowardly moment :man10: http://www.apparelbros.com/
KOBE FOR LIFE
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator

Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Point Loma

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:31 am

nameant wrote:Take this fool off the top banner...come on...

Trust me, we're working on it.

Getting a hold of CL can be a task.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Forward Three on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:07 am

The more I think about it the more I want to say "(expletive) him". I've always 'liked' Dwight for being a bodybuilder in a basketball jersey and having the athleticism to make it work, I've always liked the 'pure center' outlook he's had in a league of combo guards and swingmen, it was refreshing to see even if he was a bit undersized.

But he had a subpar season here and you can blame that on injuries or whatever, but now he's taking off just like that and it's sort of exactly the type of chump mentality that drove a wedge against me ever liking Lebron regardless of what he might do on the court. It's that "lol I'm rich and this is a game you idiots" mentality that, however uncomfortable and true it might be, is still an insult to the people who built this system for you to thrive in.

Dwight already spent his media circus card coming to LA in the first place and while his exit was much less gratuitous, what does it speak to a player who is inclined to do that? What will Houston do when he gets pouty that he's not 'the guy' there either?

He doesn't seem particularly interested in really elevating his game and I know that part of that is because the league hates bigs and tends to bias strongly against them, but honestly even Andrew Bynum was on the brink of eclipsing Dwight in every way and Bynum has just as bad of a reputation for not working hard enough.

So whatever, I think his career is basically over. I'd be surprised if he ever even makes the Finals again(unless as a seasoned vet minimum situation) Houston is a good team and all but the Clippers and Thunder and Grizzlies are good teams too, knowing Dwight like we now know him it's hard to really figure that his presence there lifts them that much.

The annoying part is that the Lakers are in a tailspin right now. It'd be nice to be able to move forward without him, make the playoffs, beat the Rockets...etc. get some schadenfreude action in there, but realistically LA is just going to have to take this one on the chin and figure its future out the hard way.
Forward Three

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:47 pm

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 4 min
Here's @SteveNash on @DwightHoward (on @ESPNLA710): "Ultimately I think Dwight wasn't comfortable (in L.A.) and didn't want to be here."

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 2 min
A consistent problem Nash mentioned all season/reiterated on @ESPNLA710 was Howard's being unwilling/uninterested in running pick and roll.

wcsoldier81

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:50 pm

Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi 5 min
Nash on Howard: "He never quite felt comfortable and at home and I don't know if that's anybody's fault."

wcsoldier81

Postby slimjim on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:49 pm

I predict 4th seed at best for the Rockets.

Houston and it's fans are going to quickly realize the LARGE holes Dwight has on the offensive end.
slimjim

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:51 pm

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 12m
ESPN has learned Houston Rockets just fined $150,000 for unauthorized public comments on Dwight Howard while NBA's annual moratorium ongoing

Oops.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:52 pm

:man10:

A little late for that s***.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:30 pm

Chris Tomasson ‏@christomasson 1m
Owner Les Alexander said Houston's big-man tradition is "better than anybody's.'' Says "definitely'' than Lakers one after getting Howard.

JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:03 pm

Chris Tomasson ‏@christomasson 1m
Owner Les Alexander said Houston's big-man tradition is "better than anybody's.'' Says "definitely'' than Lakers one after getting Howard.

the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:32 pm

Les Alexander... :man10:

Wilt, Shaq, Kareem, Mikan, and Gasol. = 16 rings.

Hakeem, Yao, Dwigh= 2 rings.

And you can subtract Yao and Dwight from there if you'd like, it wouldn't make a difference.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:49 pm

therealdeal wrote:Les Alexander... :man10:

And you can subtract Yao and Dwight from there if you'd like, it wouldn't make a difference.

2 rings that were won while MJ was retired nonetheless
:man10:

it's downright hilarious seeing how cocky the rockets and their fans have become after signing dwight. enjoy the failure rockets fans
432J

Postby 24/23goats on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:53 pm

^ LOL. i recall seeing a thread about how the lakers are going to the finals when DCoward signed with LA before the season started.

I would tank for wiggins. It would suck for a year, but pay off in the end if you get him. If not then you can get another top pick and then sign one of key free agents next year.
24/23goats

Postby Weezy on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:39 pm

I think you can add Moses Malone to Houston's list as he was there for a few years, but still, we have them beat in big men talent, and big men that actually won.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Pig Miller on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:04 pm

Les Alexander has lost it.

next he's going to say calvin murphy and mad max were better than magic.
Pig Miller

Postby Pig Miller on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:08 pm

i'll never hate on a guy for doing what he thinks is best for him and for making a life decision to reflect that.

however, don't act like you want to be one of the greats.

there's nothing wrong with making fat loads of cash and not wanting your whole life to be basketball, but no need for the charade. maybe one day he'll admit the pressure was too much for him.

i still think he's probably a nice guy, but he's just immature and confused. oh well!!!
Pig Miller

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:59 pm

Apparently Crack is legal in Houston cause everyone in Houston has gone crazy..... Houston can't touch LA in ANY way. lol.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby gcclaker on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:10 am

Hakeem, Yao, Dwight= 2 rings.

Could be ZERO had some player decided not to play another sport. Olajuwon should say "baseball's been very, very good to me!"
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:22 am

I mean f***, you could throw in Bynum too over Dwight. Bynum gave us more over the years than Howard ever did. That'd mean 18 rings among them as Lakers.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:30 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 2 min
A consistent problem Nash mentioned all season/reiterated on @ESPNLA710 was Howard's being unwilling/uninterested in running pick and roll.

This is crucial IMO. A big part of our offensive power was supposed to be the Nash-Howard PnR, yet we never ran it effectively or seemed to practice it enough to improve it. That tweet explains why, and it's basically what we knew all along: Howard, for some reason, didn't want PnR, he wanted post-up touches. Which was retarded, because PnR he was good at, and post-up ... not so much.
Not to mention that when he did get plenty of the touches he wanted, and struggled, and got criticized, he complained about people forgetting that he wasn't "100%" and that had rushed back from injury. So why should we give you the ball so much then?
It's so ridiculous: "I want touches, I want them in an area I'm not even proficient at, and I want the built-in excuse of injury for when I inexorably fail."
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby ThizGuy83 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:12 am

from now on im just gonna call dwight howard... stupid... pretty sums up everything that is needed to be called about him that is family oriented... so when i say stupid from now on... its about stupid
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion