Dwight Coward Discussion

Re: Dwight Coward Discussion

Postby gill on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:43 pm

Harden and Lin already dominate the ball on that team and need to do so to be effective. Dwight will complain about post touches again. Rocket fans will complain. We, along with the Orlando Magic fans, will have a good laugh when that day comes.
gill

Postby The Rock on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:35 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--rockets-give-dwight-howard-what-lakers--kobe-wouldn-t--unconditional-love-061137592.html

Within the Los Angeles Lakers, there had been a belief that a late January team meeting in Memphis could've been the beginning of Dwight Howard's future with the franchise, or merely the beginning of the end. No restraints, no mercy, no holding back. Kobe Bryant had climbed into Howard in a way that was startling, sobering, a moment of penetrating and unpleasant truths.

Every time you trash me to teammates, it gets back to me, witnesses said Bryant told Howard in the visiting locker room of the FedEx Forum. Every time you do one of your impersonations when I walk out of the room, I find out. Everything tumbled out of Bryant, one grievance after another, and the Lakers coaches and players sat watching the two biggest personas in the room push closer together, or irreconcilably apart.

Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen. He hated it with Shaquille O'Neal, but Shaq performed on a championship plane for the Lakers and delivered a disposition to dominate on the floor.

"Kobe talked to Dwight in a way that I don't think anyone one had ever talked to him – not in Orlando, not here, not in his life, I'm betting," one witness in the room told Yahoo! Sports. "He's been coddled, and Kobe wasn't going to coddle him."

Despite Howard's recuperation from his back injury, few believed he had been playing with the proper passion and purpose – not the coaches, not the players, not opponents – and those within the Lakers understood Howard's most rebellious weapon was never confrontation, but holding back on the court.

There were bigger issues than Bryant and Howard in the room, but everyone understood that this meeting – first reported in the Los Angeles Times – had been about the two superstars, about the tension that had been building with the losing, about the push and pull between selling Howard on staying a Laker, or begging him.

In the end, Kobe Bryant didn't chase Dwight Howard out of Los Angeles, nor did Mike D'Antoni, nor did anyone in the employ of the franchise. The Lakers weren't for Howard, and Howard wasn't for the Lakers. Every executive and coach who has ever worked with Howard will tell you: He needs to be the face of the franchise and he needs unconditional love. Those weren't immediately available to him with the Lakers, and they'll be showered upon him in Houston now.

"If he missed two big free throws in Orlando, it was forgotten in 30 minutes," one league official with ties to Howard's past says. "If he missed them in L.A., they talked about it for a week. With Dwight, he has to be the face of the franchise. Anything less than that, and it would be difficult for him to function at his highest level."

In every way, the Houston Rockets are perfectly suited for Howard. He's 27 years old and needs to start competing for championships. He wants to be the biggest star in the franchise, and he gets it. He wants to be the biggest personality in the room, and he becomes it. He wants to play for a Hall of Fame big man, he says, and he has been afforded that with Kevin McHale.

"The conditions need to be lined up perfectly to get the most out of Dwight," one team official who has history with Howard told Yahoo! Sports. "When he's engaged, he can carry a team like few else in the league. Houston is suited for him."

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey conceived and executed an impeccable plan, gutting his roster, drafting undervalued prospects with low picks (Chandler Parsons), signing undervalued players (Patrick Beverley), snagging restricted free agents with toxic offer sheets (Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin) and assembling the assets to make a trade for a star guard (James Harden).

One year ago, Howard wanted no part of the Rockets. When the Magic were considering trades, Howard's reps warned Houston that it shouldn't trade for Howard. He'd never stay there, the Rockets were told. Only, Morey and his assistant general managers, Gersson Rosas, Arturas Karnisovas and Sam Hinkie – now the Philadelphia 76ers' top executive – kept constructing a case, kept monitoring a miserable experience that offered hope for Houston.

For Howard, the Rockets deliver him an adoring market with a rich history of great teams and franchise centers. From Moses Malone to Hakeem Olajuwon, Ralph Sampson to Yao Ming, Houston has a legacy and legitimacy. Harden made the Rockets relevant again, and Howard makes them contenders.

In the final weeks and days and hours leading into Howard's decision, the most consistent negative recruiting pitch rivals made to him about Houston centered on Harden. In presentations and private conversations to Howard, Harden had been sold as a bad teammate and selfish player, multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports.

"He was told [Harden] would be another Kobe in his life," one source closely involved in the free-agent process told Yahoo! Sports. "It came from a lot of people, but never once from Dwight's mouth."

Houston was aware it was happening and worked to diffuse the campaign late in the process. "It was obviously competitive for Dwight's services, and maybe we were looking like the lead team," Morey told Y! Sports. "But not only were teams advocating for their own position, they tried to tear us down, too. I didn't have any issue with it, unless it became personal."

In the end, the Rockets had been exhaustive in their research, and manufactured a roster, a coach, a pitch and a co-star that made Howard want them. To walk out on the Lakers changes Howard's standing in history, but only if he never wins a championship with Houston.

After that meeting in Memphis, the Lakers played inspired basketball for the rest of the regular season, and Howard slowly, surely started to resemble his old self. Bryant tore his Achilles in the playoffs and left the locker room on crutches to join the bench in Game 4 of the playoff series against the San Antonio Spurs – leaving the locker room as an ejected Howard marched into it.

As it turned out, this was goodbye for Howard and Bryant, goodbye for Howard and the Lakers. For everything that Dwight Howard believed he could clutch out of Los Angeles, out of the bright lights and big city, he made the right decision for himself with the Houston Rockets. Kobe Bryant is out of his life now, and perhaps so is the confrontation that Howard loathes in his life.

When Howard called Morey on Friday night to tell him he planned to play for the Rockets, he promised nothing but hard work and championship drive. No more free agency, no more drama, no more excuses. Howard chose Houston for himself, and there's no more blaming Kobe Bryant and Mike D'Antoni, Otis Smith and Stan Van Gundy.

Once again, he has a franchise and a city and a chance to lord over it all. Once and for all, Dwight Howard needs to honor his word and chase a championship.
Last edited by The Rock on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:38 pm

I have no issues with Howard bolting. He was in a bad situation, thanks mostly to Buss Jr and Kobe. Buss for hiring D'Antoni over Jackson. He was simply the wrong coach with the wrong system given the talent on this team. Relying heavily on 39 yr old pg is never a good idea. The system was wrong for the talent on this team AND for Dwight.

Second, Kobe simply would not relent his throne. He could've easily tried to make Dwight feel more comfortable by openly stating that he was willing to play second fiddle or at least give out the hint that it wasn't his team and everyone had to follow. I know Kobe is an alpha dog and will always be but you have to know when to cut it back. Like right now, he's 35 and coming off a torn achillies. Chances are, he won't be close to what he was. Tearing an achillies is one of the worst injuries to sustain. That's where you get you explosion from.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:54 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:I have no issues with Howard bolting. He was in a bad situation, thanks mostly to Buss Jr and Kobe. Buss for hiring D'Antoni over Jackson. He was simply the wrong coach with the wrong system given the talent on this team. Relying heavily on 39 yr old pg is never a good idea. The system was wrong for the talent on this team AND for Dwight.

Second, Kobe simply would not relent his throne. He could've easily tried to make Dwight feel more comfortable by openly stating that he was willing to play second fiddle or at least give out the hint that it wasn't his team and everyone had to follow. I know Kobe is an alpha dog and will always be but you have to know when to cut it back. Like right now, he's 35 and coming off a torn achillies. Chances are, he won't be close to what he was. Tearing an achillies is one of the worst injuries to sustain. That's where you get you explosion from.

:man10:

SO the one player who didn't bring it isn't at fault? Its Kobe who didn't relent the throne. :man10: Wow that is fun. Kobe did the right thing by making the big baby accountable. Dwight wasnt. Stop blaiming Kobe.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:00 am

Dwight was constantly complaining about Kobe to opponents during games telling them things of this nature : " I'm tired of him , he's never going to pass me the ball ... "

Coming from Nate Jones Twitter , who is marketing different NBA players for some years
wcsoldier81

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:00 am

As expected, most are bashing Dwight. Houston is a good situation for him. Basketball is all about superstars and the tandem of Harden and Dwight might do some damage. They might not win a thing but on paper, they are the best sg and c in the league. That is a huge factor. And Harden isn't your run of the mill sg, he can actually move to pg and create for others. A great guard and center is a true and tested formula for championships.

Laker fans shouldn't be so bitter and realize that our franchise created a bad situation for him.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby GNC on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:13 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:I have no issues with Howard bolting. He was in a bad situation, thanks mostly to Buss Jr and Kobe. Buss for hiring D'Antoni over Jackson. He was simply the wrong coach with the wrong system given the talent on this team. Relying heavily on 39 yr old pg is never a good idea. The system was wrong for the talent on this team AND for Dwight.

I am sorry but seriously? :man10:

I am just going to second what puffy said.
GNC

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:14 am

^ Oh get out of here.

First of all, Harden isn't the best SG in the league. He was outperformed last season by a 34 year old Kobe Bryant and a hobbled Dwayne Wade. Harden is a good SG, but he's been the beneficiary of the officials' whistles. Without compliance from the referees his game suffers. It's been proven over and over again. Not to mention, you'd think the best sg in the league would be able to better perform in the playoffs with the Oklahoma City Thunder who featured Durant and Westbrook as partners.

That's a ridiculous claim.

And as for the Lakers creating a bad situation for Howard? That's laughable. He created a bad situation for himself. Kobe respects output. The article said itself that Kobe hated Shaq's attitude, but he won, so he accepted it. On the court Shaq's goofy attitude faded and a beast took over. Howard didn't have that, Kobe didn't respect him.

Howard couldn't handle being told he wasn't going to be the king. He couldn't handle NOT being the center of attention and not being everyone's favorite person. He'll get that in Houston and he'll fail to win a single thing besides maybe a defensive player of the year award.

He never could handle the Lakers and we as fans are justified in our bashing of him. He was supposed to be our future. And instead he got scared and ran like a child.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:48 am

GNC wrote:
“It was on the Fourth of July,” Howard said. “That’s when I felt it was Houston. I was in Colorado. It seemed like every person that I met was from Houston. It was just so ironic. I’d walk around. Someone would ask for a picture. They’d give me a business card and it would say Houston on it. I was like, “Is everybody in Colorado from Houston right now?’ It was unbelievable.

“I was like, ‘You know what, this has to be from God.’ You pray for things to happen. You pray for signs, for God to show you things. It just seemed like, this was it.”

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2 ... esh-start/

^^ Wow. I find this kind of thought and speech really disturbing. First of all there is no irony meeting a bunch of people from Houston in Colorado. That's called coincidental, not ironic in any way. But yeah, to see that as a sign from God almighty? That's kind of scary in my book.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby DHL on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:56 am

can we go a few hours without blaming jim buss?
Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby dak22 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:35 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:I have no issues with Howard bolting. He was in a bad situation, thanks mostly to Buss Jr and Kobe. Buss for hiring D'Antoni over Jackson. He was simply the wrong coach with the wrong system given the talent on this team.

Oh please!!

Because bringing in a coach who will not "coddle" him is going to make the situation any better for Howard. If he can't handle how kobe talks to him, then he won't last a month once Phil starts his mind games at the first signs of aversity :man10:.

After hearing this piece, it's clear that no matter what the Lakers did, Howard would never be happy in LA. He wants to be above the franchise w/o earning it: something a proven team would never do like the Lakers.

People who can't take criticism always come up short, especially when said criticism is from people who knew what it took to succeed. Even Bynum the bowler proved otherwise when Kobe called him out in 2007, despite his immaturity over the years.

It's sad, but Phil should thank Jim Buss now for not coaching Howard. Trying to get this clown to have "a championship mentality" is something a coach of Phil's caliber should not be subjugated to experience. It would've been a colossal waste of time for a team trying to win a championship.
Last edited by dak22 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
dak22

Postby Finwë on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:58 am

Given his skillset and effectiveness this season, I'm not sure anyone can advocate that Howard should've gotten more touches on offense.
It came out as if his touches were the key variable in his effort level and commitment, and that's just wrong, ESPECIALLY when you can't hit a goddamn FT, you get stripped all the time, and you brick close range jump hooks very frequently.

The dude was just not franchise player material - of ANY franchise that's serious about winning a title. At least not in 2012-2013. From a basketball standpoint.
He wasn't even that impressive on D.

The biggest impact he had on this team was chemistry-wise IMO and I don't mean that as praise...
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Finwë on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:00 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Dwight was constantly complaining about Kobe to opponents during games telling them things of this nature : " I'm tired of him , he's never going to pass me the ball ... "

Coming from Nate Jones Twitter , who is marketing different NBA players for some years

Meh, he got plenty of touches
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby kenzo on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:10 am

therealdeal wrote:^ Oh get out of here.

First of all, Harden isn't the best SG in the league. He was outperformed last season by a 34 year old Kobe Bryant and a hobbled Dwayne Wade. Harden is a good SG, but he's been the beneficiary of the officials' whistles. Without compliance from the referees his game suffers. It's been proven over and over again. Not to mention, you'd think the best sg in the league would be able to better perform in the playoffs with the Oklahoma City Thunder who featured Durant and Westbrook as partners.

That's a ridiculous claim.

And as for the Lakers creating a bad situation for Howard? That's laughable. He created a bad situation for himself. Kobe respects output. The article said itself that Kobe hated Shaq's attitude, but he won, so he accepted it. On the court Shaq's goofy attitude faded and a beast took over. Howard didn't have that, Kobe didn't respect him.

Howard couldn't handle being told he wasn't going to be the king. He couldn't handle NOT being the center of attention and not being everyone's favorite person. He'll get that in Houston and he'll fail to win a single thing besides maybe a defensive player of the year award.

He never could handle the Lakers and we as fans are justified in our bashing of him. He was supposed to be our future. And instead he got scared and ran like a child.

I believe he said "best SG/C combo" not best SG. It's a proven formula i agree... but thay will fall short every time :man9: (at least that's what i hope for).
kenzo

Postby gill on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:28 am

Shaq on Inside the NBA last night:http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2013/07/07/20130706-gt-shaq-on-howard.nba/index.html

And let's get the "Dwight Howard does not fit D'Antoni's system!" out of the way. As much as I want the guy to get canned after giving him a chance, I'll let Shaq speak instead:

“Well, first of all, being a center for the Los Angeles Lakers, especially a good one, when they call you the best big man in the league, there is a lot of pressure. When I first got there, Jerry West made me look up at the rafters, and said, ‘You see Kareem Abdul-Jabbar? You see Wilt Chamberlain? These are the names that you have to live up to.’ When it comes to pressure, some look pressure in the face, and welcome it, and others walk away from pressure. I mean, I knew, when you can make $30 million playing where you are, and get a max contract playing where you are, and then you acknowledge you want to meet with other teams that is just telling me you are not happy with your conditions now and you want to do something different. When he signed with Houston, I wasn’t surprised.”

“I didn’t have a problem [with the billboard]. They brought him in last year. Things didn’t go as planned. So, you know, the good thing about the Lakers organization is that they have been on every side of the fence before. They have been on the really good and on the really bad. They just want another chance, him and Kobe, a healthy Nash, and everybody on the same page, on paper, they are a dangerous team. So, when you have a marquee player, and you want him to stay, you do whatever it takes to get him to stay.”

I don’t want to [be disrespectful too]. Mitch Kupchak is a fine general manager. The Buss family has always done a wonderful job. I heard a discussion about Mike D’Antoni not fitting Dwight’s style. That’s false. I played for Mike D’Antoni. He is the easiest coach on my body that I had in my career. He loves the big man, and Dwight is a pick and roll big man, and he has about a hundred million pick and roll plays to get Dwight involved. It’s about what you do, and about what you get your teammates to do, to win. Just think about it, before I was introduced to the Triangle was I a Triangle player? I was not a Triangle player. Phil Jackson brought in that boring Triangle. I listened to what he said, but I added a little bit of my own stuff to the Triangle to it, Kobe added a little bit of his stuff to it, and we got everybody to work together. That’s what you do to win championships. It has nothing to do with the coach. You know that, and I know that. It has nothing to do with the coach. It has everything to do with you.”
gill

Postby 432J on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:46 am

it just gets more and more ridiculous with dwight

the guy is such an immature clown that it's downright hilarious. he got his dream scenario in houston. he won't be under any pressure compared to what he was facing in LA, he can play with guys who also care more about having fun than winning games, and when they fail to win a title and he bolts in a few years it won't be because kobe was a bad teammate or dantoni's system sucks, it'll just be because his back never fully healed or some lame excuse
432J

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:54 am

Man Dwight Howard just makes everyone appreciate what Shaq meant to LA and vice versa so much more. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:03 am

yeah, I know the narrative is still about Houston being competitive, but to me, it's about Dwight being scared of a challenge. too worried about failing--that's not what champions are made of. that's what shaq's saying, imo.

and as much as I dislike dantoni, I think not firing him was the right decision. you can't let people like howard run things.
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:16 am

abeer3 wrote:yeah, I know the narrative is still about Houston being competitive, but to me, it's about Dwight being scared of a challenge. too worried about failing--that's not what champions are made of. that's what shaq's saying, imo.

and as much as I dislike dantoni, I think not firing him was the right decision. you can't let people like howard run things.

Agreed 100%.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:37 am

therealdeal wrote:Man Dwight Howard just makes everyone appreciate what Shaq meant to LA and vice versa so much more. :man10:

I can Thank Dwight for that because for all that Shaq has done and said since leaving this, as Tupac said, "is the truest s*** I ever wrote."
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Weezy on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:41 am

Wow, another amazing Woj article, we finally hear what was said in that players meeting in Memphis. I imagined it was rough, but I had no idea Kobe went off on Dwight for being a clown. That article, and other reports we've heard makes Dwight sound not only like a clown compared to Kobe who's a total pro, but almost a cancer. Trashing and mocking Kobe behind his back, trashing him to opponents? How immature can you get, no wonder he looked so disinterested in so many games. I was glad before we didn't sink 5 years 118 mil on him, now I'm thrilled and relieved.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:22 am

I hate to see Dwight go because when healthy he's the best at his position and he's a defensive monster -- a year in year out candidate for DPOY. You can't easily replace production like that. But he didn't think this was for him -- the coach, roster, an alpha male like Kobe -- so best of luck in Houston. It's a team that's a better fit, has a longer contending window with that core, and an ability to attract other FA pieces to surround himself with. He had a chance at a real legacy here in LA, but it's not for everyone. I might be one of the few, but no hard feelings, time to focus on the 2014 off-season...just as long as it doesn't result in Bron Bron in a Lakers jersey, then I will blame Dwight for making me lose all interest in the Lakers.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:54 am

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA 12h
I love that Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard unfollowed each other. High schoolers will tell you, it's not an official break-up until unfollow.

JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby dak22 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:24 pm

therealdeal wrote:Man Dwight Howard just makes everyone appreciate what Shaq meant to LA and vice versa so much more. :man10:

Forget Shaq, Dwight Howard makes me appreciative of every center that donned purple & gold.

Regardless of their attitude/production, you can say they loved playing for the lakers at one point. Can't say the same thing about Howard, who hated being here from start to finnish.
dak22

Postby wallangong on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:46 pm

1) Colorado is a state full of transplants. Pretty much everyone you meet is from a different state, but there is not a large Houston community here. just some BS story from Dwight to give his decision some meaning.

2) Dwight went to Houston because if they win, he gets the glory. If they lose, it was Harden's team to begin with. Truly fulfilling the title of "Coward'
Go Buffs.
wallangong

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion