Dwight Coward Discussion

Re: Dwight Coward Discussion

Postby Tobias Funke on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:55 pm

Finwë wrote:Given his skillset and effectiveness this season, I'm not sure anyone can advocate that Howard should've gotten more touches on offense.
It came out as if his touches were the key variable in his effort level and commitment, and that's just wrong, ESPECIALLY when you can't hit a goddamn FT, you get stripped all the time, and you brick close range jump hooks very frequently.

The sad part is that whenever the bold part happened, along with him just half-a**ing in on the court because he felt left out, he was quick to let anyone who would listen know that he returned from surgery too soon and he's not 100% so the criticism is unfair.

That's perfectly fair to be honest, except if you're far from 100% as you said, why are you asking to have the offense run through you? Why not just let your all-time great teammate run the show until you're back is close to 100%, especially when he's far more skilled that you could ever hope to be?

Isn't help the reason he wanted out of Orlando in the first place? Or does he not want help if it means the spotlight is not always on him?
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:55 pm

that article was pretty revealing. like i have said before, he wasn't the guy for us. after reading that though, i have gone from fairly indifferent to glad that he is gone.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Finwë on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:
Finwë wrote:Given his skillset and effectiveness this season, I'm not sure anyone can advocate that Howard should've gotten more touches on offense.
It came out as if his touches were the key variable in his effort level and commitment, and that's just wrong, ESPECIALLY when you can't hit a goddamn FT, you get stripped all the time, and you brick close range jump hooks very frequently.

The sad part is that whenever the bold part happened, along with him just half-a**ing in on the court because he felt left out, he was quick to let anyone who would listen know that he returned from surgery too soon and he's not 100% so the criticism is unfair.

That's perfectly fair to be honest, except if you're far from 100% as you said, why are you asking to have the offense run through you? Why not just let your all-time great teammate run the show until you're back is close to 100%, especially when he's far more skilled that you could ever hope to be?

Isn't help the reason he wanted out of Orlando in the first place? Or does he not want help if it means the spotlight is not always on him?

Exactly. Agreed 100%
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby abeer3 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:25 pm

the worst part of howard leaving: those hack downs that led to run outs for the other team will suddenly become fouls again.

watch. this is stern's nba, and howard did what everyone wanted: bolt la and go to the less glamorous market for less money. that's going to get him back in the good graces of the officials the same way harden became wade part deux.
abeer3

Postby Juronimo on Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:32 pm

I'm not surprised Howard left. I knew he was gone back in December. His body language was horrible all season. He had the body language of a player that didn't want to be there. His effort was that of someone who didn't want to be there.

I didn't want to see him leave but it's the inevitable reality. Oh well. Time to move on.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby nameant on Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:42 pm

2nd tier star nothing more. We wanted him to be one of the all-time greatest big men and he's simply not that. He knew that, which is why he left. Couldn't live up to what we all expected. Moving on......
nameant

Postby Tobias Funke on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:35 pm

Now Ramona is claiming that Dwight called out Kobe and Nash in the meeting for not publicly defending him when people criticized his play when he came back early from injury.

If you ask me it takes a special kind of a-hole to bash a man behind his back to teammates, the media and even opponents, only to turn around and get mad at him for not defending you publicly.

Seems like, atleast for the last 2yrs, he's been an absolute cancer in the locker room. Disappointing.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby noobiew on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:13 pm

GNC wrote:
“It was on the Fourth of July,” Howard said. “That’s when I felt it was Houston. I was in Colorado. It seemed like every person that I met was from Houston. It was just so ironic. I’d walk around. Someone would ask for a picture. They’d give me a business card and it would say Houston on it. I was like, “Is everybody in Colorado from Houston right now?’ It was unbelievable.

“I was like, ‘You know what, this has to be from God.’ You pray for things to happen. You pray for signs, for God to show you things. It just seemed like, this was it.”

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2 ... esh-start/

WOW, just because there are Houston fans in Colorado made him sign with Houston? Is Dwight retarded or what?
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby dj vitus on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:37 pm

Well at least we can play more freely now instead of catering our offense to fit Howard.

I mean everything had to be pitch perfect in order for Howard to get that bucket and be happy. Else, we'd see a deflected pass, stripped ball, 3-second violation, or missed hook.

I think Nash and Gasol will benefit most from the absence of Howard, provided they are healthy.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby dj vitus on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:39 pm

abeer3 wrote:the worst part of howard leaving: those hack downs that led to run outs for the other team will suddenly become fouls again.

watch. this is stern's nba, and howard did what everyone wanted: bolt la and go to the less glamorous market for less money. that's going to get him back in the good graces of the officials the same way harden became wade part deux.

I think that's very true. Defense can't touch Harden; well, now they can't touch Howard either.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby The Rock on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:05 pm

Lebron isnt any different now from back then...his team is stacked enough to absorb his goofups and still win

Have a feeling Houston is headed that way or trying to get there

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:49 pm

The Rock wrote:Lebron isnt any different now from back then...his team is stacked enough to absorb his goofups and still win

Have a feeling Houston is headed that way or trying to get there

The difference is for all Lebron's shortfalls he has the overall game to make things happen. Dwight has the balls of a snail. He doesn't want Harden being the guy at the end of the game but Dwight has shown (countless times) that he can't be dependable when it counts. I see problems with mr. sensitive.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby kenzo on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:19 am

Engaged Howard will do wonders for Houston, just saying :man6: It's a shame it didn't work out in LA, time to move on and booooo him as loud as possible.
kenzo

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:08 am

So Hack a Dwight when he's back to LA right ?

- Pau doing the following through between FTs , Nash telling him " you should have listened to me " and Kobe laughing at him for trolling purposes
wcsoldier81

Postby Finwë on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:07 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:So Hack a Dwight when he's back to LA right ?

- Pau doing the following through between FTs , Nash telling him " you should have listened to me " and Kobe laughing at him for trolling purposes

Yes! :man10:
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby KobeSystemtwofour on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:02 pm

Ice Cube..sorry mods...lots of cussing here..

“F**k Dwight Howard, goddamn it,” Cube said. “We love LA! We don’t need no punk-[Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] muthaf**kas on our team. We don’t give a f**k about a Dwight Coward. We don’t need no bi***es on our team, homie. You don’t deserve to go up on that goddamn wall. So, I predict tonight Kobe [Bryant] will win another championship before Dwight Howard ever sniffs one.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.24592/title.ice-cube-calls-dwight-howard-dwight-coward-
“If somebody had their life on the line, and they’ve got their options on who they want to save their life – tell me who you’re going to pick?” Bryant asked. “You’re going to look at the stats first?”
KobeSystemtwofour

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:08 pm

nameant wrote:2nd tier star nothing more. We wanted him to be one of the all-time greatest big men and he's simply not that. He knew that, which is why he left. Couldn't live up to what we all expected. Moving on......

and if he would have stayed, this whole town would have been waiting for the next 5 years for that to happen...which it wouldn't have...i'll take one summer of disappointment over 5 years of hope and letdown
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:13 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:
nameant wrote:2nd tier star nothing more. We wanted him to be one of the all-time greatest big men and he's simply not that. He knew that, which is why he left. Couldn't live up to what we all expected. Moving on......

and if he would have stayed, this whole town would have been waiting for the next 5 years for that to happen...which it wouldn't have...i'll take one summer of disappointment over 5 years of hope and letdown

You might still get those five years if we can't turn things around over the next two. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:17 pm

therealdeal wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:

You might still get those five years if we can't turn things around over the next two. :man10:

shoot, we just signed Kaman...making parade plans now :jam2:
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:44 pm

The parade will end at the Natural History Museum where Kaman resides in the Caveman exhibit.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:55 pm

therealdeal wrote:The parade will end at the Natural History Museum where Kaman resides in the Caveman exhibit.

and when Pau grows his beard out, we're gonna have the Caveman Towers down low :jam2:
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:08 pm

Spoiler:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby sharko on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:52 pm

I'm way over this dude and last year along with him, but I'm comforted by the thought that he went to a team that was worst than our terrible team last year and to a franchise that only has two titles because the best basketball player of all time decided to go and play BASEBALL. BASEBALL. MJ/His Airness/Jumpman 23 PLAYED BASEBALL while the Rockets won their titles.
sharko

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:11 pm

Video of Ice Cube's thought on Howard going to Houston

**Warning: Video does include a lot of language***

Spoiler:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:50 pm

As much as Lakers fans might hate Dwight, he has been a top 5-7 player when healthy. And all signs point toward a healthier Dwight from last year. Him and Harden should complement each other very well.

This whole thing still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The hiring of D'Antoni was simply beyond moronic and set the domino effect for Dwight not coming back. We are stuck with a coach who wants to run a style that's the complete opposite of what should be run. Just sucks to have a coach that doesn't belong. This franchise should not have to settle with such a coach. This organization deserves better than some punk son of a great owner.
Lets Go Lakers

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion