Dwight Coward Discussion

Re: Dwight Coward Discussion

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:04 am

Over a year later this still applies.

puffyusaf#2 wrote:Again, there is two things at work with Dwight. All hate aside the guy is a talent physically and defensively. His game has been solely on his physical prowess. He may very well improve his post moves working with Dream and Kevin. However, his touch and court vision have not been so great and not likely to get that way in my opinion. The biggest problem he has is he does not have the heart or will to be the #1 guy. Yes, in Orlando he was the big stat man but when they won it was because Hedu, Lewis and Nelson coming up big. As much as I talk about Lebron not having much heart he at the very least understands he is, no has to be, the number 1 player on his team. No one knows if Dwight will fail or not but at this point it is hard to see how he, as the man, can lead his team to a ring.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:08 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:I have no issues with Howard bolting. He was in a bad situation, thanks mostly to Buss Jr and Kobe. Buss for hiring D'Antoni over Jackson. He was simply the wrong coach with the wrong system given the talent on this team. Relying heavily on 39 yr old pg is never a good idea. The system was wrong for the talent on this team AND for Dwight.

Second, Kobe simply would not relent his throne. He could've easily tried to make Dwight feel more comfortable by openly stating that he was willing to play second fiddle or at least give out the hint that it wasn't his team and everyone had to follow. I know Kobe is an alpha dog and will always be but you have to know when to cut it back. Like right now, he's 35 and coming off a torn achillies. Chances are, he won't be close to what he was. Tearing an achillies is one of the worst injuries to sustain. That's where you get you explosion from.

:man10:

had to revisit this gem.. So after a full season. You still want to blame Kobe for not passing the "throne" over to this fool?
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:00 am

abeer3 wrote:least likeable team in the nba.

It'll be fun watching them crash and burn. I know we're going to be rebuilding which is tough, but better than what they're doing. They're mired deep in that pit where you're not good enough to win, but too good to give up and start over.

What Bosh did to them was absolutely epic. Just fantastic really.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:15 am

man...it gets even better:

James Harden wrote:“Dwight (Howard) and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets,” said Harden. “The rest of the guys are role players or pieces that complete our team. We’ve lost some pieces and added some pieces. I think we’ll be fine next season.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/james-harden-takes-a-page-out-of-dwight-howard-s-book--calls-rest-of-teammates--role-players-141348470.htmll
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:38 am

lakerfan2 wrote:man...it gets even better:

James Harden wrote:“Dwight (Howard) and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets,” said Harden. “The rest of the guys are role players or pieces that complete our team. We’ve lost some pieces and added some pieces. I think we’ll be fine next season.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/james-harden-takes-a-page-out-of-dwight-howard-s-book--calls-rest-of-teammates--role-players-141348470.htmll

oh man this is great...
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Weezy on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Isn't "role players" a term that only the media and coaches like Phil are supposed to use? I always thought the actual players didn't really say that because it can come across as insulting, like "I'm the star, know your role". I could be wrong, hell, Kobe could have said it before and I forgot, but I don't remember players using that term about their own teammates.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:05 pm

Lin said he agreed with the comments, but it took him a bit to get it out.

I think honestly it's incredibly insulting. Role players are role players and I'm sure they understand that, but that doesn't mean you acknowledge it. Receptionists are largely replaceable, but that doesn't mean you treat them like they are. They're people.

Not to mention, he was referring to Parsons, Lin, and Asik. Of those three, Parsons was certainly not a role player. He was their 3rd option and he did well at it for them.

In the end you're reducing your peers to being below you. Are they? If you're Kobe sure, but Harden and Howard haven't won jack. You better believe Duncan would never call his teammates role players in such a manner. I very much doubt Durant would. Hell, I don't think LeBron would use it that way either.

Harden and Howard: the two biggest douchebags in the NBA together on the same team. I love that Bosh gave them the finger.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:06 pm

Alex Kennedy: Parsons on Harden: "It's a pretty ridiculous statement, if he meant that. I'm excited to go to DAL. I'm ready for next step, a bigger role." Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.wgmEREt1.dpuf

Alex Kennedy: Parsons: "If anybody should understand it's James, since he was in same situation in OKC then he got the chance to come to HOU and shine." Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.wgmEREt1.dpuf
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:49 pm

MJ called his teammates his "supporting cast".

Of course he had 6 rings to largely support his point.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:20 pm

There is nothing wrong with the term "role players" as an understood place. Robert Horry and D Fish were role players but you never heard Kobe/Shaq call them that even though Shaq/Kobe always had the 1a and 1b thing going. When a coach says it that is different because he dictates time and all that jazz but for a player to say it.... stupid. It causes discord and resentment in the locker room. When Harden or Dwight once again misses a big shot you'll start to hear those "role players" speak out about the "stars." Hardens ego has surpassed his ability and that train of destruction he and Dwight are driving is going faster and faster towards the cliff.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Juronimo on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:01 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:There is nothing wrong with the term "role players" as an understood place. Robert Horry and D Fish were role players but you never heard Kobe/Shaq call them that even though Shaq/Kobe always had the 1a and 1b thing going. When a coach says it that is different because he dictates time and all that jazz but for a player to say it.... stupid. It causes discord and resentment in the locker room. When Harden or Dwight once again misses a big shot you'll start to hear those "role players" speak out about the "stars." Hardens ego has surpassed his ability and that train of destruction he and Dwight are driving is going faster and faster towards the cliff.

Not only that, Howard and Harden aren't anywhere near good enough to run their mouths like that. Those role players they dismiss have to cover up for Harden's defensive ineptitude causes their defense to break down, forcing those role players to adjust to playing 4 on 5 on the defensive end. We all know about Dwight clanging jump hooks Kwame style.

Their arrogance is quite baffling. Even though Shaq and Kobe had their issues, they were the best players in the league and at their respective positions by a grand canyon wide margin and I don't recall them being that dismissive of their teammates even if they sniped at each other.

Harden and Howard truly baffle me. I don't get it.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:47 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Alex Kennedy: Parsons on Harden: "It's a pretty ridiculous statement, if he meant that. I'm excited to go to DAL. I'm ready for next step, a bigger role." Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.wgmEREt1.dpuf

Alex Kennedy: Parsons: "If anybody should understand it's James, since he was in same situation in OKC then he got the chance to come to HOU and shine." Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.wgmEREt1.dpuf

And there you go from a player, a good player's perspective about how they feel being marginalized by their "star" not even superstar players in this case.

I love that Bosh stuck it to them as well!!!!
LTLakerFan

Postby abeer3 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:53 pm

i hope the harden quote really goes viral, such that the average nba fan knows it by heart. it's stuff like this that might put an end to his reign of terror at the ft line. and then he'd be a douchebag version of joe Johnson, minus defense and ambidexterity.
abeer3

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:23 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:There is nothing wrong with the term "role players" as an understood place. Robert Horry and D Fish were role players but you never heard Kobe/Shaq call them that even though Shaq/Kobe always had the 1a and 1b thing going. When a coach says it that is different because he dictates time and all that jazz but for a player to say it.... stupid. It causes discord and resentment in the locker room. When Harden or Dwight once again misses a big shot you'll start to hear those "role players" speak out about the "stars." Hardens ego has surpassed his ability and that train of destruction he and Dwight are driving is going faster and faster towards the cliff.

Damn Puff :man10: That was lyrically impressive!! :jam2: :bow:
LTLakerFan

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:38 pm

abeer3 wrote:i hope the harden quote really goes viral, such that the average nba fan knows it by heart. it's stuff like this that might put an end to his reign of terror at the ft line. and then he'd be a douchebag version of joe Johnson, minus defense and ambidexterity.

Well Yahoo's already stirring the S*** with it like Yahoo loves to do. Not quite viral but will help expose further what "tools" these guys are.

James Harden takes a page out of Dwight Howard's book, dubs rest of teammates 'role players'
Ben Rohrbach By Ben Rohrbach
12 hours ago
Ball Don't Lie

The Houston Rockets, thus far, whiffed on what once seemed a promising summer, and naturally the team's two flawed All-Stars have managed to sandwich a pair of unfortunate comments around the public relations pickle that has befallen general manager Daryl Morey upon failing to land a third star in free agency.

While the on-court skills of Dwight Howard and James Harden complement each other well — a defensive stalwart with finite offensive weapons and an offensive virtuoso with limited defensive skills — neither has proven too complimentary of any Houston teammate not named Howard or Harden.

In an interview with The Philippine Star, Harden is the latest to make news with an unfortunate statement.

“Dwight (Howard) and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets,” said Harden. “The rest of the guys are role players or pieces that complete our team. We’ve lost some pieces and added some pieces. I think we’ll be fine next season.”
Certainly since the departure of Chandler Parsons to the Mavericks and to some degree following the trades of Omer Asik to the Pelicans and Jeremy Lin to the Lakers, that statement may very well be true (however much Trevor Ariza may disagree), but Harden would be wise to keep those feelings to himself.

Has he learned nothing from Howard, who's made a history of bashing his teammates publicly? Just last week, the eight-time All-Star said of Parsons' absence, "It won't affect us at all" — a ridiculous statement to make about a still improving 25-year-old wing who commanded eight figures in free agency.

While Harden has generally let actions explain his faith in fellow teammates, succumbing to Hero Ball and even ignoring Lin at times last season, Howard has been more outspoken. Upon leaving the Magic for Los Angeles, he later said of his Magic mates, "My team in Orlando was a team full of people that nobody wanted." That slip of the tongue came around the same time he critized his new "friends" on the Lakers.

As a result, former teammates like Jameer Nelson, who just joined the Mavericks and may have been a nice fit in Houston, haven't taken too kindly to Howard's approach in the past. And he wonders why Lakers legends Shaquille O'Neal, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Magic Johnson never accepted him in L.A.

However Harden and Howard feel about the current cast of Rockets characters privately, they'd be better off bolstering the value of those "role players" publicly. That might actually help Morey land that elusive third star, especially one who might be dubious of those two as contender-worthy teammates themselves.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball- ... 48470.html
LTLakerFan

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:40 pm

therealdeal wrote:Lin said he agreed with the comments, but it took him a bit to get it out.

I think honestly it's incredibly insulting. Role players are role players and I'm sure they understand that, but that doesn't mean you acknowledge it. Receptionists are largely replaceable, but that doesn't mean you treat them like they are. They're people.

Not to mention, he was referring to Parsons, Lin, and Asik. Of those three, Parsons was certainly not a role player. He was their 3rd option and he did well at it for them.

In the end you're reducing your peers to being below you. Are they? If you're Kobe sure, but Harden and Howard haven't won jack. You better believe Duncan would never call his teammates role players in such a manner. I very much doubt Durant would. Hell, I don't think LeBron would use it that way either.

Harden and Howard: the two biggest douchebags in the NBA together on the same team. I love that Bosh gave them the finger.

I actually thought Lin answered that question really well. He didn't take the bait but simply said he knows the guys and he didn't feel it was meant that way. Now, I am not sure he believes that or not but I did think he answered it the right way and the reporters moved on. I was impressed with the kid well outside of the "uh's" lol.
puffyusaf#2

Postby wolfpaclaker on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:52 pm

I could see these comments play out in two ways.

1- They could fall flat in Harden/Howard faces, and they bomb next year.
2- They could actually gel better than last year and advance.

Watching that HOU/POR series it was clear sort of like some of the young Laker teams in the 90s there were too many generals and not enough soldiers. Lin wants the ball. Parsons. Harden, Dwight. That's 4 guys who want the ball. Who wants to focus on D? Shoot jumpshots? Now they got that guy in Ariza, and lost Parsons, who has more skill 1 on 1 than Ariza, but is less of a defender and role player.

But they have voids. They don't have talent even in the form of role players to fill in for Asik/Lin. Who is their backup PG? their backup C?

In general, I do think the 2012-13 Lakers even showed what happens when you have too many guys who all want the ball and don't have Phil Jackson there to manage the egos. It's far better to have teams that have 2 clear cut stars and everyone else is a role player who accepts their role positively. This is how we won around Kobe/Gasol and Shaq/Kobe. Lamar was super talented, but he accepted being a role player. Fish was a role player. Ariza/Artest as well. I think in general that formula works. The problem for Houston. 1) I'm not sure Howard/Harden are consistent enough as a 1-2 punch to win rings 2) I'm not sure they have the role players. Who else other than Ariza do they have? Beverly. That's it.
wolfpaclaker

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:26 pm

You're not sure Howard and Harden as a "duo" are consistent enough as 1-2 punch to win rings? Translation, "good enough"? They're not, period. Not going to happen. Howard can't shoot and Harden can't defend, and as "leaders" of the team….. they insult the meaning of the word leader. They lost more than they got back for sure, no offense to Ariza. I think Ariza when he gets a load of their act up close and personal is not going to be a happy camper with his choice to go there.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:10 am

By the way Lin did an interview on ESPN 710 where he was very complimentary of Howard. He said he was one of the nicest people he's ever known and has a great heart.

I don't remember him saying anything about him as a player/teammate, but Lin was very complimentary of him as a person.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:11 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Lin said he agreed with the comments, but it took him a bit to get it out.

I actually thought Lin answered that question really well. He didn't take the bait but simply said he knows the guys and he didn't feel it was meant that way. Now, I am not sure he believes that or not but I did think he answered it the right way and the reporters moved on. I was impressed with the kid well outside of the "uh's" lol.

Yeah I agree. This kid really does seem like a bright one. He went to an Ivy League school so you'd assume he was intelligent, but then Marcellus Wiley went to an Ivy League school too so... maybe it's not always consistent. :man9:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:00 am

Juronimo wrote:

Not only that, Howard and Harden aren't anywhere near good enough to run their mouths like that. Those role players they dismiss have to cover up for Harden's defensive ineptitude causes their defense to break down, forcing those role players to adjust to playing 4 on 5 on the defensive end. We all know about Dwight clanging jump hooks Kwame style.

Their arrogance is quite baffling. Even though Shaq and Kobe had their issues, they were the best players in the league and at their respective positions by a grand canyon wide margin and I don't recall them being that dismissive of their teammates even if they sniped at each other.

Howard and Harden are products of this "praise me Im great" generation. They are in a time where they can't accept their responsibilities for failure instead they point fingers and place blame. The media excuses them by helping make excuses for them. They justified Lebron leaving Cle by saying "the team didn't do enough for him" even though they brought in the players Lebron wanted. Dwight in Orlando never "had the right team around him to succeed." Yet, when he got paired with the greatest pick and roll PG (arguably) in the game he couldn't play to his strengths. Instead, God wanted him to go to Hou. Kevin Love can't do it in Minny so he needs to be traded to a team with another superstar. These guys don't really have to be accountable for their teams failures. They all seem to be front and center for the successes though. Stars from the past had ego's and occasionally threw dudes under the bus. MJ was an A-hole, Kobe buring William Parker, Shaq got Eddie Jones fired from like 6 teams. It happens but what doesn't seem to be the case is the "alpha" males dont have to toot their own horn by putting the others down. Kobe says, "give me the damn ball" he doesn't say "give me the damn ball you are only Xavier Henry." The entitlement of these two fools who have done nothing is astonishing.
puffyusaf#2

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:03 am

LTLakerFan wrote:

Damn Puff :man10: That was lyrically impressive!! :jam2: :bow:

haha Thanks man. :bow:
puffyusaf#2

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:06 am

Juronimo wrote:

c'mon bro...after Dwight asked us to amnesty Kobe, are you REALLY surprised at the ego of the guy?
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:57 pm

Nope ^^^ It is clear as day now. Dwight Howard is a legend in his own mind, but truly has achieved status to be called truthfully a CANCER now. Good job Dwight F*****G Clown! It started way back in Orlando where he clearly looks at the situation as if he was god's gift to basketball and every one else was just a spear carrier for him. He pissed off Jameer Nelson big time a couple years ago with the same S*** attitude, calling the rest of the team "players that no one else wanted". This guy is "who Roo :man12: thought he was" … maybe a couple others here as well before he got to the P&G and showed his true colors. I wasn't one of them but caught on real quick.

:man10: :man10: Somewhere…..out there…… "1year" still thinks Kobe should have given him the "torch". Seriously. Hates Kobe that much….plus….was that freaking clueless in his powers of observation. :disagree:
LTLakerFan

Postby scissors on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:54 am

scissors

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion