Earl Clark Discussion: Cavs sign Clark 2 yrs 9 mil (p. 54)

Re: Earl Clark Discussion: Second Wind?

Postby Finwë on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Weezy wrote:12 minutes, 0/1 shooting, 0 in every category except 1 personal foul. Do we even re-sign this guy if he keeps this up? Do we throw another risky contract at a guy who showed stretches of great play followed up by absolute disappearances? I mean which can we trust, which is the real Earl Clark? I'm torn right now, even his effort is missing, I don't want another Devean George signing or something, I'm not sure I keep him unless he signs for between 1and 2 mil, I think that's the only price worth the gamble of further trying to develop him.

That's why I wanted to at least make the playoffs.. see who's got balls and who chokes.
Not saying based on ONE game we should define what we're doing with this guy, but if this keeps up.....
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby karacha on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:30 pm

Weezy wrote:12 minutes, 0/1 shooting, 0 in every category except 1 personal foul. Do we even re-sign this guy if he keeps this up?

No.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby nickvanexel on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:31 pm

Weezy wrote:12 minutes, 0/1 shooting, 0 in every category except 1 personal foul. Do we even re-sign this guy if he keeps this up? Do we throw another risky contract at a guy who showed stretches of great play followed up by absolute disappearances? I mean which can we trust, which is the real Earl Clark? I'm torn right now, even his effort is missing, I don't want another Devean George signing or something, I'm not sure I keep him unless he signs for between 1and 2 mil, I think that's the only price worth the gamble of further trying to develop him.

He had a rebound.

Well, the whole bench didn't really show up.

Shot Attempts 2 & 3
Jodie Meeks 1/4 | 0/2
Jamison 1/3 | 0/1
Morris 0/1 | 0/1
nickvanexel

Postby The Rock on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:31 pm

Hes a bench player he is who he is. I wouldn't mind having him back but hopefully not more than what Hill is earning

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:36 pm

Hill was essentially almost putting up a double double every night and only got 3.5 million. Earl doesn't do that. Right now, realistically, he's at 2-2.5 million.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:00 pm

I like Earl a lot. But he gave us absolutely nothing out there today. You can't no show in the playoffs if you are looking for a contract next year. Hopefully game 2 he brings something.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:13 pm

That's my problem though, he hasn't just been a no-show in this one playoff game, he's been pretty much a no show since he had one or two good games and we all thought he was back. He went from being a huge find for us, bringing effort every game, to seemingly hitting the "rookie/first time getting real minutes" wall, to us thinking he was back, to boom right back to being invisible. If I don't see more from him the rest of this series I will have to question who the real Clark is, a guy with real potential, or Luke Walton with the new material NBA ball.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby SpencerHarrison on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:17 pm

Totally invisible today. At one point I forgot he was even in the game. I will say that Earl doesn't have a favorable matchup against the Spurs. I'd like to see him fire off a few 3s. He can shoot about as well as anyone on the team, and I like to at least see who might have a hot hand. To go silent like this... Not good.
SpencerHarrison

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:59 am

The ball finds energy and he's not been very energetic for us. I don't know what happened, but he's not crashing the glass and when he's not active, he doesn't do anything for us.

Maybe he's hurt.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:10 am

therealdeal wrote:The ball finds energy and he's not been very energetic for us. I don't know what happened, but he's not crashing the glass and when he's not active, he doesn't do anything for us.

Maybe he's hurt.

I love Earl's game. He has so much potential. However, this has been a pattern of Earl even in Orlando; he showed flashes for a stretch of games, and then he disappeared. If I remember correctly, that's why he was seldom used in his stint in Orlando. It's unfortunate. At this rate, I wouldn't even re-sign him unless he came at a really cheap price which he probably will playing like so inconsistently lately.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Armani on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:13 am

He's a fringe rotation player. I would still bring him back, or at least replace him with great youth. We desperately need youth/athleticism on this roster.
Armani

Postby JSM on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:10 pm

I like the energy and his hustle when he brings IT. Energy players who don't play with energy are useless in this league. I'll give him a summer to get healthy and get his conditioning up to par.

Two year deal, second being a TO, paying him in the $2m per year range. Hasn't earned anything more than that at this juncture.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby khmrP on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:24 pm

maybe if some other team out there is desperate to overpay we can use him in a S&T for some other asset? for a 6 10" guy he sure does have bad defensive instincts playing against guards or anyone on the move.
khmrP

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:22 pm

khmrP wrote:maybe if some other team out there is desperate to overpay we can use him in a S&T for some other asset? for a 6 10" guy he sure does have bad defensive instincts playing against guards or anyone on the move.

We can't do sign and trades in this new CBA if we're paying luxury taxes.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby khmrP on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:31 pm

^^^we can S&T AWAY players we can't S&T for an incoming player
khmrP

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:52 am

khmrP wrote:^^^we can S&T AWAY players we can't S&T for an incoming player

I'm missing it....what is the difference?
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:20 am

LTLakerFan wrote:

Say we want Monta Ellis from the Bucks at around 10 million. He can't sign a 10 million dollar contract and get SENT to LA for some combination of 10 million dollars. It's against the rules.

Say another team wants Earl Clark. We CAN give Earl a 5 million dollar contract and trade him AWAY for someone who is making 5 million dollars already.

At least that's what khmrp is saying, I'm not sure if that's true or not.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:24 am

Dear Earl,

You're blowing it man. Earlier this season you came onto the scene and you made people say "Pau Gasol who?" You made us say "damn D'Antoni should have given you a shot earlier!" You made us say "we might have found a guy to be around for a few seasons!"

The most important one is the first one: "Pau Gasol who?"

Earl this is your chance, man! This is your shot to prove you're worthy of being the starting Power Forward for the Los Angeles Lakers moving forward! Now! Today! If you play the way you played earlier in the season NOW it's YOUR job for the taking. Pau Gasol has a foot and a half out the door, push him out!

I know this is new, it's intimidating, it's scary. But if you can give us 5/5 with a block and a steal tomorrow off the bench then everyone will say again... "Pau?... We might not NEED that guy" and the job is yours.

Starting Power Forward for the Los Angeles Lakers... Think about it.

Yours truly,
An appreciative fan
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:55 pm

therealdeal wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:

Say we want Monta Ellis from the Bucks at around 10 million. He can't sign a 10 million dollar contract and get SENT to LA for some combination of 10 million dollars. It's against the rules.

Say another team wants Earl Clark. We CAN give Earl a 5 million dollar contract and trade him AWAY for someone who is making 5 million dollars already.

At least that's what khmrp is saying, I'm not sure if that's true or not.

yes, we can S&T Clark to a team for a player whos already under contract.....
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:05 pm

Well do you have a link or anything? I've just never heard this before.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:34 pm

therealdeal wrote:Well do you have a link or anything? I've just never heard this before.

I read it on realgm and look at the rule, it only states a team cannot S&T FOR a player if said team is already over the luxury threshold by $4mill or if after the trade the team becomes $4mill over the luxury tax. Doesn't say anything about S&T trading AWAY a player. Just an assumption could be wrong but this is an option for Clark since we have his birds rights, might like the higher % raise as oppose to just signing elsewhere.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:30 pm

I don't know. I don't have the rules in front of me, so I don't know if that's legit or not.

If it is, then it's something we might explore. Although with his inconsistencies, I don't think Clark will command a high price in free agency.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:02 pm

Easy is missing the biggest opportunity of his life here.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:41 pm

Earl Clark showed up just 1 hour before gametime Lol hes forcing D'Antoni to play Ebanks I guess...WTF

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:05 pm

Last chance for Earl Clark tonight because he's starting to see if he deserves a contract. He is averaging 2 points per game and shooting 30% for the series
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion