Earl Clark Discussion: Cavs sign Clark 2 yrs 9 mil (p. 54)

Re: Earl Clark Discussion: Cavs sign Clark 2 yrs 9 mil (p. 54)

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:40 pm

^ Earl took money to leave. Am I disappointed? Sure. But he left because he got a better financial offer.

There's NO better financial offer for Dwight out there than the Lakers. If he leaves it's because he foolishly believes there's a better spot for him to win a ring or he's just not up for it.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:43 pm

it sucks that Earl's thread no longer belongs in 'Lakers Discussion'

good luck, Earl...i was hoping noone was paying attention to your 10+ good games
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby lakerfansd on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:44 pm

I liked Clark. Anyone know what the Lakers offered? I wonder if he would have stayed If lakers offered less $$ per year but 3 years instead of 2, like 3 yr 12million
lakerfansd

Postby Weezy on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:45 pm

lakersyunowin, you can't be disappointed in a guy for doing what's best for him. This was a guy destined to make at best 1 mil per season his whole career in the NBA. But because he got an opportunity here, he got a shot at getting PAID by his standards, and good for him, I'd take it too. You're being unrealistic if you think Earl should have been loyal and taken 4 mil here over 9 mil there, this is a business, it's easy for us to say he should take less money, but it's not our money or family to support. When he said he'd take less money here he was probably thinking he'd get offered 5 elsewhere and take 4 here, but you get 9, you freakin take it.

And Rock, what about Dwight, if he doesn't want to stay he doesn't want to stay, oh well. He can get the most money here, that's not the issue.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:58 pm

Weezy wrote:lakersyunowin, you can't be disappointed in a guy for doing what's best for him. This was a guy destined to make at best 1 mil per season his whole career in the NBA. But because he got an opportunity here, he got a shot at getting PAID by his standards, and good for him, I'd take it too. You're being unrealistic if you think Earl should have been loyal and taken 4 mil here over 9 mil there, this is a business, it's easy for us to say he should take less money, but it's not our money or family to support. When he said he'd take less money here he was probably thinking he'd get offered 5 elsewhere and take 4 here, but you get 9, you freakin take it.

And Rock, what about Dwight, if he doesn't want to stay he doesn't want to stay, oh well. He can get the most money here, that's not the issue.

yea i guess i worded that poorly. it's hard to turn down a pay-raise that large. i think maybe more accurately it's just disappointing that we lose him...not so much the person disappointing me. i just have this impending sense of disappointment regarding players leaving this team (wink wink), so it's all a bit of a downer.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Weezy on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:01 pm

It is a downer that we lost him, but you just knew some team our there was watching when he had his stretch of great play, some team with money we don't have that's willing to overpay and take a risk. Cleveland just happened to be that team, probably was also a small way for Mike Brown to stick it to us a little as well.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:03 pm

Hill showed flashes late last year, no way I would pay Clark more than Hill. I agree with the assessment that Cleveland overpaid for him because for all we know, he might not be able to replicate his performance of this year.
charvin

Postby kidhell on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Not sure how sad I am about this. He completely vanished in the second half of the season and playoffs. If we use that money for Matt Barnes, I think it's a big upgrade to our bench.
kidhell

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Now the Lakers might need to sign either a back up PF or SF to replace Earl. Pick a couple here.

Andre Iguodala (ETO)
Josh Smith
Elton Brand
Andrei Kirilenko (P)
Lamar Odom
Kenyon Martin
Paul Millsap
Corey Maggette
Corey Brewer
Jermaine O'Neal
J.J. Hickson
Nick Young
Matt Barnes
Ronnie Brewer
Dorell Wright
Amir Johnson
Marreese Speights
Carlos Delfino
Bryon Mullens
Kobe8Fan

Postby Weezy on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:26 pm

I think the only ones even remotely realistic that would be my top choices from that list would be

Elton Brand
Corey Brewer (might be had for mini-MLE)
Nick Young (might be slightly out of our price range)
Ronnie Brewer
Dorell Wright (probably gets more than mini-MLE)
Amir Johnson
Marreese Speights
and yes I actually would actually consider taking Lamar back for the minimum for one season
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Frank Dux on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:36 pm

Damnit! I hate how all these bottom feeder teams always poach our talent after we raise their stock. I love Clark, he was one of the few bright spots of the season, and after Pau went down, I really feel like this guy helped change the attitude of the team by bringing his "A" game every night, D-ing up and hitting his shots. I don't blame him for looking out for himself, and getting a nice contract. He deserves it, he was a huge reason why the Lakers ended up in the playoffs.

Peace out Clark. You'll be missed.
Frank Dux

Postby revgen on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:36 pm

I'll take Brewer. His defense will come in handy.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:37 pm

Eh not a big deal, was not worth 4.5 mil.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:42 pm

sucks bc he said he wanted to stay a laker and the money wasnt an issue. he said word for word that hed take less money to play as a laker. it was bc DWIGHT has to make a descision before we sign anyone and clark prob couldnt wait financially if they decided not to sign him and someone else instead. he was the perfect backup SF/PF for us and really improved. i hate to see him go. hell ball with kyrie no doubt.

everyone is signing players and were stuck waiting for dwight and everyone is getting taken. were gonna be left with he same roster as last season minus A LOT.
Ariza3

Postby Balance&Options24 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:43 pm

Will he play minutes there? Under brown and they have a crapload of forwards.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:44 pm

Too bad for us about Earl. But good for him. We were never going to pay him that kind of money so he did well for himself. For our team realistically I think he was looking at 2-3 mill per year. He mentioned he wanted to stay here even at a reduced price, but money talks as they say. Sad to see him go, but good luck to him. He was a kid that I liked on our squad. He did fall off in a huge way though after his explosion last year.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:48 pm

brown didnt play him when he was in LA...hopefully he'll play more. I think he just wanted more minutes and hell hopefully get it there but i really thought he;d play a bigger role next season with us. too bad lakers prob didnt express as much interest as cavs
Ariza3

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:53 pm

Ariza3 wrote:think he just wanted more minutes and hell hopefully get it there

I don't know. They have Bennett and Thompson at PF and Gee at SF. Don't see him getting substantially more PT there.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:57 pm

“@KamBrothers: RT @seandeveney: Here's the Earl Clark to Cavs (2 ys, $9mil) link. Don't be surprised if he is a starter: http://t.co/JTWWO0U5yV
Ariza3

Postby 432J on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:58 pm

cleveland overpaid. he would have been great to have back but only for cheap, no way the FO is gonna pay this guy 4.5 mil a year

not like he had an amazing season or anything. he had a good streak of games and then fell back down to earth. happy trails
432J

Postby kenzo on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:14 pm

karacha wrote:Overpaid. No way we pay him 4.5M. Good guy, works hard, but he is not worth that money. I wish him all the best.

QFT.
kenzo

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:16 pm

That really sucks.. I wanted him back but it'd be crazy for us to match that offer with our cap situation.. The Cavs have more room to take chances & they used it to their advantage.. I wonder if this will be an Ariza/Artest situation & Mitch will waive his wand & replace Earl with a better player.
lakersin4

Postby Pig Miller on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:41 pm

well this stinks. i liked that he could play the 4 and hit the 18 footer, as well as give some spot minutes at the 3.

if we amnesty artest, we're in a position where we almost definitely have to move gasol for some pieces.
Pig Miller

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:45 pm

Thanks Earl for giving us your all when you were given a chance. I wish him the best of luck and I'm glad he was able to get paid for his family's sake. I wish we could have kept him but definitely not at that price range. Like reported he may even get a chance to start for them.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Pig Miller on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:47 pm

Kobe8Fan wrote:Now the Lakers might need to sign either a back up PF or SF to replace Earl. Pick a couple here.

Andre Iguodala (ETO)
Josh Smith
Elton Brand
Andrei Kirilenko (P)
Lamar Odom
Kenyon Martin
Paul Millsap
Corey Maggette
Corey Brewer
Jermaine O'Neal
J.J. Hickson
Nick Young
Matt Barnes
Ronnie Brewer
Dorell Wright
Amir Johnson
Marreese Speights
Carlos Delfino
Bryon Mullens

highlighted the players that i thought could help and also are attainable.

we'll be looking into our d-league players before you know it
Last edited by Pig Miller on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pig Miller

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion