Earl Clark Discussion: Cavs sign Clark 2 yrs 9 mil (p. 54)

Re: Earl Clark Discussion: Cavs sign Clark 2 yrs 9 mil (p. 54)

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:47 pm

Do we have to sweat Hill too or do we have him for this coming season?
LTLakerFan

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:48 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Do we have to sweat Hill too or do we have him for this coming season?

no we have him for this upcoming year.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby jlkr on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:04 pm

If it was a small difference between what the Lakers offered and what other teams offered, I could have seen Clark staying. But the difference is too big to be overcome for a player who isn't worth that contract. Sorry to see him go, but would be a lot more sorry had the FO replayed the Luke Walton and Devean George cards and overpaid him as they did those two.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:28 pm

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus 16m
Anyone the Lakers sign in FA - take their number and multiply roughly by 5 to get their cost with luxury tax. Clark at $4 mil = $20 mil

Definitely not worth it.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:43 pm

Please tell me again how Clark is worth it. Just too much money for him. No way.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kobe_mamba on Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:52 pm

Sad to see Clark go after he 'made his name' as a Laker last season. But no way Lakers should have paid that money for him especially with Luxury Tax implications. Good for him. He got a good deal and took it.

Mind you, D12 needs to bleep make this bleep decision already.....I mean seriously?!

:bang:
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
kobe_mamba

Postby halekulani on Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:53 pm

well
the contract itself is worth it, 2 years 9 mil

the luxury tax penalties is totally not worth it.
halekulani

Postby lotus on Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:58 pm

I wish he could have.stayed. It be nice to find a diamond in the rough and watch him shine with the Lakers. Like with Kobe, Fisher, and sort of Bynum. I guess I'll just follow Hill.
lotus

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:00 pm

NOOOOOO! I only start a few threads in LD and this one is popular...now it will be transferred :bang: :bang: :bang:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby XXIV on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:07 pm

It's too bad he didn't resign but you can't blame him. He was really headed no where until this past season, so I'm glad that he was able to land a nice contract even if it wasn't with us.

With that said I felt his best play came at the 4 spot, but with Pau and Hill already getting minutes there it didn't seem he would see much PT unless Hill didn't get any.
XXIV

Postby live and die in LA on Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:25 pm

Sad to see him go, he played well. But when it comes down to it, he made the right move. Good for him, get paid while you can.
live and die in LA

Postby Plot on Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:46 pm

Geez.
The second year of the deal is a team option, according to a source.

ESPN
Plot

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:30 am

therealdeal wrote:Please tell me again how Clark is worth it. Just too much money for him. No way.

Definetely ... same thing can be said for MWP , Pau and Nash costs though ... that's the main point here
wcsoldier81

Postby escobar8 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:41 am

very sad to see him go...but i can understand why we didnt pay him 4.5m
to bad he didnt took less to stay with us as he promised...but i guess our offer was much lesser than cle offer so i cant blame him...
escobar8

Postby KB24 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:40 am

sucks but it was the right decision.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:11 pm

yea I liked Clark but he wasn't worth 20 mil to the team
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby dj vitus on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:00 pm

XXIV wrote:It's too bad he didn't resign but you can't blame him. He was really headed no where until this past season, so I'm glad that he was able to land a nice contract even if it wasn't with us.

With that said I felt his best play came at the 4 spot, but with Pau and Hill already getting minutes there it didn't seem he would see much PT unless Hill didn't get any.

Exactly. With Howard gone, Clark seemed a little expendable. I'd rather give those minutes to Hill where he can crash the boards with the best of them.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Forward Three on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:10 am

Endless respect to Clark for having a hard working mentality and effort that deserved to be in the league. So many superstars these days seem to barely give a crap half the time and it's always good to see solid, skilled players doing work in the old fashioned way. Sucks to see him go, but this makes a lot of sense for him and the Cavaliers will probably appreciate his presence.
Forward Three

Postby LakerFanIam on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:31 am

On a different note... Cavs are going to be a really interesting...

They get the #1 draft pick, they get Jarret Jack, Earl Clark & are going after Bynum...

Could be a fun team.
LakerFanIam

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:11 pm

Earl Clark Wants To Prove He Still Belongs In The NBA

By Alex Kennedy | Senior NBA Editor

Earl Clark wasn’t supposed to be an unrestricted free agent this summer. If all had gone as planned, he would be playing for the Cleveland Cavaliers in the upcoming season, after signing a two-year deal worth $9 million with the team last offseason. When Clark inked the contract, it seemed like he had finally found a home and some security after playing for three teams (the Phoenix Suns, Orlando Magic and L.A. Lakers) in his first four NBA seasons.

However, Clark was dealt to the Philadelphia 76ers at the trade deadline along with Henry Sims and two future second-round picks in exchange for Spencer Hawes. Philadelphia, in tank mode, waived Clark and just like that he was back in the free agent pool seven months after putting pen to paper on his contract with Cleveland. The following week, the New York Knicks signed Clark to a 10-day contract, followed by a second 10-day deal, but ultimately decided not to guarantee his contract for the remainder of the season.

That’s how Clark finished the season as a free agent, watching the final month of the 2013-14 campaign from his home. Now, he is ready to get back into the league and finally settle down somewhere.

When given minutes throughout his career, Clark has shown that he can be a significant contributor. He’s a versatile, two-way player who can play multiple positions and he believes he has proven that he belongs in the league.

“This is going to be my sixth year in the NBA, and I feel like I’ve been through a lot,” Clark told Basketball Insiders. “I feel like I’ve shown people over and over [what I can do]. I had to prove myself. I’ve been coached by many different coaches and survived. I went to different teams and didn’t burn any bridges; it’s hard to do that in this league. Now, I’m definitely looking for minutes – an opportunity to get out there and play my game. … Over and over, I’ve survived and once they put me out there, I do my job. That’s all I can say; that’s all I can live for. Whichever teams calls my name and gives me that opportunity, I’m going to be ready to play.”

Remember, just two seasons ago Clark played very well for the Lakers, initially thriving as a reserve and then replacing Pau Gasol in Mike D’Antoni’s starting lineup for 36 games (in which he averaged 9 points, 6.8 rebounds and nearly a block and a steal). It was this breakout season that led the Cavaliers to sign Clark, and he believes he can produce at that level again if put in the right situation and given the opportunity to play.

“When I was with the Lakers, I got the opportunity to get out there and play some big minutes – I didn’t have to look at the bench every possession to see if I was coming out,” Clark said. “It was the first time where I felt good, where I was comfortable playing basketball again. That’s something that I’m looking for.”

Clark has received interest from a number of teams since free agency started three weeks ago, but he continues to weigh his options. He understands that this is an important year for him and he wants to make sure he lands in the right situation, one that will allow him to showcase his skill set and salvage his career. For the first time since he was drafted in 2009, Clark found himself unemployed during a season when he was waived last March. He doesn’t want to end up on the outside of the NBA looking in again, which is why he’s taking his time with this free agency decision and carefully considering every opportunity.

“I’ve been hearing from a few teams, but it’s not anything that I’m jumping at right now,” Clark said. “It’s been different, man. I’ve been a free agent a few times and this summer seems like it’s going in slow motion. I’m just giving it time and going through the process. I just want the right situation and the opportunity to play. That’s all I want – the opportunity to get out there, play, help the team and prove myself again.”

When Clark entered the NBA, he was just a kid. Now, he has grown up, started a family and is very different from the player who began his career in Phoenix. The 26-year-old is married with two kids, and he says that he has really matured in recent years.

“I’ve grown a lot,” Clark said. “When I first came in to the league, I was just eager to get on the floor and play and prove myself. I wasn’t really thinking about the business aspect of basketball, the other side of it. Now it’s different, having a family, being married. I’m 26. I was younger then. When you come into the league, you’re 21 or 22 years old. At 26 years old, the life you live is different. You grow up fast. It’s just a whole different way of life; it’s just different now. I’m different, and I see the game differently now. It’s slowing down for me.”

Clark has been training every day, bulking up and working on his jump shot.

“I’ve been training down here at a local gym where I live; it’s been basically what I do every summer,” Clark said. “I’m continuing to shoot and work on my game. The thing that I did more this summer is that I tried to get a lot stronger. I usually don’t lift as much in the summertime, but I tried to dedicate time to working on my body. That’s really something that I’m into. Other than that, I’m just getting up a lot of shots, trying to improve my three-point percentage every year like I always do.”

While the last year has been tough for Clark, he still has a lot to offer a team.

“I feel like I play both sides of the ball, I can definitely guard anybody out there on the floor, I can rebound with the best of them and I can play multiple positions,” Clark said when asked why a team should sign him. “I’m a stretch-four or a three, wherever you want to play me. I run the floor. I’ve been here six years, I feel like I showed a lot of what I can do when the opportunity and the minutes are given. I’m just looking for somebody to give me that and to believe in me.”

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/earl- ... al-summer/
Kobe8Fan

Lakers Bringing Back Earl Clark?

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:12 pm

Lakers Bringing Back Earl Clark?

By Adrian Wojnarowski 4 hours ago Yahoo Sports

As injuries decimate their roster, the Los Angeles Lakers are working on a one-year deal to sign forward Earl Clark, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Clark has averaged 29 points per game for the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the NBA Development League, and the eventual finalization of a deal could bring Clark back to the Lakers in the next few days, sources said.

The run of injuries has allowed the Lakers to petition the NBA for extra roster spots.

Clark, 26, is familiar to the organization and its officials. He started 36 games for Los Angeles in the 2012-13 season. Clark has averaged 4.4 points per game in parts of five NBA seasons. He was a training-camp invite for the Memphis Grizzlies in the preseason, but didn’t make the roster.

The Lakers have lost Xavier Henry, Julius Randle and Steve Nash to season-ending injuries. The Lakers also are without forward Ryan Kelly for the next month because of a hamstring injury.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--l ... 33837.html

Well, Lakers have no back up PF at the moment. Why not? Welcome back, Earl Grant!
Kobe8Fan

Previous

Return to NBA Discussion