East 1st round (2) New York Knicks vs (7) Boston Celtics

Re: East 1st round (2) New York Knicks vs (7) Boston Celtics

Postby Weezy on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:48 pm

Eh, the weak NBA flagrant rules probably cost the Knicks this game in having JR Smith out, I'm pretty sure they'll close in game 5 in NY.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby keyindabox on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:39 pm

Not having JR KILLED us. Only reason why Melo took so many shots. We also were very sloppy in the first half. It was obvious that even with the comeback, the Celtics were giving it everything they had. However, I'm still feeling pretty good about this series. Melo is never going to play like that again, we're going to have JR Back, and the 48-minute intensity will definitely be back with this next one at the Garden. It OT for the Celtics to just get one win against us. Just sucks we have to wait until Wednesday for Game 5.

Also, I wouldn't get caught up in assist numbers with Melo. The Knicks offense moves the ball a lot, so he could very well be the first guy to get something moving that leads to a basket, which is often the case.
"Like I say to people all the time, I don’t care what Brooklyn do, I don’t care if they have a better record than we do this year, we still got “New York” on our chest. We’re still New York’s team, regardless of what Brooklyn do." - Ray Felton
BLACK MAMBA
keyindabox
Clublakers Rep: Knicks

Postby gill on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:23 pm

Felton nearly saved them. I think with JR they would have closed it out. Terry just got hot at the right time. They'll be done in NY.
gill

Postby keyindabox on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:05 pm

I hate all this overcriticism coming down on Melo now. ALL of the great shooters have had terrible games. Even the GOAT of all-time Michael Jordan came up flat in the playoffs. Below are his FGA-FGM from the 1997 ECF against the Miami Heat:

Game 1 - 15-31
Game 2 - 4-15
Game 3 - 14-25
Game 4 - 9-35
Game 5 - 11-31

Look at those last two games, and they still won the series. Great shooters aren't worried about their numbers, they just keep confidence and take the next shot with the belief they will make it and win the game for their team. That's all that matters, WINNING. I'm not saying Melo can even hold MJ's jockstrap, or this Knicks team is comparable to that Bulls team, but Melo has been FANTASTIC this series, and one bad game should not make him Jesus and get him nailed on the cross.
"Like I say to people all the time, I don’t care what Brooklyn do, I don’t care if they have a better record than we do this year, we still got “New York” on our chest. We’re still New York’s team, regardless of what Brooklyn do." - Ray Felton
BLACK MAMBA
keyindabox

Postby Finwë on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:37 pm

I agree.
There's definitely a double standard regarding # of shots and efficiency. Some players get non-stop crap for it, and with others it seems to go unnoticed or it gets a lot less coverage
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Iceberg Slim on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:45 pm

The problem is, he's isn't doing anything else on the floor but SHOOTING. He's averaging 0.7 assists for the series. 110 fga, 4 assists?
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby keyindabox on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:25 am

Iceberg Slim wrote:The problem is, he's isn't doing anything else on the floor but SHOOTING. He's averaging 0.7 assists for the series. 110 fga, 4 assists?

Again, like the FG numbers, the assist numbers don't tell the story. Like I said before, the way the Knicks offense works is that there is a lot of ball movement and continuous passes that lead to shots. So, Melo could very well be the first pass in the chain that gets the open look. Not a lot of one pass makes because the ball tends to swing around the 3-point line a lot. And most the time, since the offense runs through Melo, he gets the ball first and then it starts swinging around.

I just can't wait for Game 5. Garden will be rocking and with JR back, Melo won't need to shoot NEARLY as much. I partially blame Woodson, because he put in Q-Rich instead of Copeland, who has more than proven his ability to score inside-out and in big minutes too. Big head scratcher there.
BLACK MAMBA
keyindabox

Postby Iceberg Slim on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:46 am

^Correction. That's how the Knicks offense is SUPPOSED to run. Until mid-late 3rd quarter (and for much of this series) what you see is...

1) Melo receives ball at elbow, jab step, dribble drive, jumpshot.
2. Melo receives ball in post, spins baseline, drop step fadeaway jumper into the paint.
3. Melo comes off screen, receives ball, crossover, head fake, jumpshot.

I noticed Ray Felton's game began to emerge only when they moved the ball during that comeback. Otherwise, this is a Carmelo Anthony shooting exposition...and he's shooting 40%. It's ugly basketball.

I prefer when Anthony gets the ball in the designed offense. The flow to his game is so much smoother. His efficiency is much higher. Right now, he's might as well be playing in Harlem, at the Rucker. He's on an island by himself.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:55 am

Yeah from the 30 ish Knicks game I watched this season , there are some period of time during the game when the ball isn't moving too much and the offense is stagnant and predictable ... sure it was even more obvious because of JR absence but this isn't a one game thing
wcsoldier81

Postby keyindabox on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:40 am

Well besides last game, Melo has worked in the flow of the offense. Hence why we went up 3-0. But there are definitely moments where we get stagnant. However, a lot of that one on one play dominates the first half and then the offense starts flowing better in the second half. That's how I've seen it at least. He makes the offense force all of their attention on him to start the game and then things start to open up in the second half. Hence why we've had big second halves in the series.

All I know that is you won't see him put 35 shots for the rest of the playoffs (as long as everyone is healthy), I can guarantee that...
BLACK MAMBA
keyindabox

Postby Finwë on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:25 pm

People have always bashed Melo's D, but I don't see any props being given to him for his D in this series. I really liked what he did on that end in the last game.

The assists number is very low, yes, but the specifics of the Knicks' offense kinda force that. Not saying he couldn't get like 3 assists a game, but let's take the offense and Melo's place in it (at least recently) into consideration..
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:47 am

I hope NY is going to destroy Loston in Game 5 ... Terry talking trash down 0-3 smh , still talking trash down 1-3
wcsoldier81

Postby keyindabox on Wed May 01, 2013 9:22 am

JR Smith was asked about Jason Terry's play in Game 4, JR responds that he's never heard of that guy. K-Mart tells reporters that after Terry told him that he wasn't "dancing at his funeral today" during Game 4, he told the rest of the Knicks to wear "black, funeral colors" for Game 5. Well, the time has almost come.....

BLACK MAMBA
keyindabox

Postby DarthRekal on Wed May 01, 2013 6:11 pm

Knicks arent backing up shiz
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby dj vitus on Wed May 01, 2013 6:59 pm

El Crapo. Thought this was gonna be done in 5. Looks like the Knicks will be too tired to play Miami if they advance that far.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Avenged24 on Wed May 01, 2013 7:07 pm

JR Smith talked [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] and didn't back it up at all. How are you going to go in all black suits to signify the Celtics death and then choke? :bang:
Avenged24

Postby keyindabox on Wed May 01, 2013 7:23 pm

Jesus Christ man....why do the Knicks ALWAYS have to make EVERYTHING so god damn difficult?! SMDH.......I'm too young to have heart attacks. I still think we win this series, but man oh man, is this annoying.
BLACK MAMBA
keyindabox

Postby Doc Brown on Wed May 01, 2013 7:29 pm

Jordan Crawford to Melo after the game....

"That motha f***a f**** yo wife"

https://vine.co/v/bQq7zdjqpBw
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Finwë on Wed May 01, 2013 8:07 pm

Can't win with the way they were shooting the ball.. JR was awful, Melo started out great but then went ICE cold..
NY has relied heavily on 3s all season long, and Boston is doing a great job at taking away some of the easier looks from 3 these past few games. Everything's kinda forced, and when they do get an open look, the shooter isn't in a great rythm and sometimes misses.
The emergence of Terry on the celtics' offense has become a problem too.

I think NY will pull it out, but it won't be easy. Melo needs to be waay more effective, and JR needs to go back to driving to the rim and taking timely jumpers.
Defense has to become aware of Terry too.

Doc, I saw that.. Crawford needs to get his a** handed to him, talking that type of s***. I hope Doc plays him in game 6 and someone on the knicks hits him with an elbow or something.
Finwë

Postby Weezy on Wed May 01, 2013 8:12 pm

So disappointed with the Knicks, they were my only hope to give Miami a fight, now I'm not sure, they can't even finish off ancient Boston.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Wed May 01, 2013 8:57 pm

The Celtics are basically just Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett who are both close to retirement, how can they not finish them off?
Jazzygirl205

Postby Avenged24 on Wed May 01, 2013 9:27 pm

Jazzygirl205 wrote:The Celtics are basically just Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett who are both close to retirement, how can they not finish them off?

The Knicks were too busy being arrogant and talking crap. It happens when you have players like JR Smith and Martin.

I also blame the coach though. How are you going to allow these dudes to talk crap like that AND wear black suits to represent the death of the Celtics? Adding bulletin material to a veteran team is a big no-no.
Avenged24

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed May 01, 2013 9:41 pm

Jazzygirl205 wrote:The Celtics are basically just Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett who are both close to retirement, how can they not finish them off?

Jeff Green has been Loston best offensive player ... Wheelchair has been terrible at making decisions out of the double teams and has bricked a lot from 3
wcsoldier81

Postby ramsay13 on Wed May 01, 2013 9:44 pm

Lets go Celtics, i hate anything that has to do with New York!!!!
ramsay13

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed May 01, 2013 9:50 pm

Ban , obviously
wcsoldier81

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion