Erick Dampier to the Mavs? & JJ to Wolves

Erick Dampier to the Mavs? & JJ to Wolves

Postby Shaq Fan on Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:37 am

It has been stated by a few of my sources that Dallas and Golden State are working out a deal to send Dampier to the Mavs.

Boykins is real close to signing a deal with Denver.
Odom being pursued by Denver.
Lenard, J. Barry, is getting calls from Denver.

Jim Jackson and the Wolves had made several calls to each other, and speculation has it he will be a Timberwolf by Monday.

WOW another move by the Timberwolves they should be running out of money soon, shouldn't they?

props to hoopskillz, OTK, Eyecue and DA.....
Shaq Fan

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:43 am

The Wolves only have 10 players on their roster. They have had a masterful offseason. I believe that the Lakers are the top winners this summer just by the names we got. But the Wolves had to work harder and pulled off more impressive moves and they have had the most impactful, in terms of most reconstruction to their roster, this summer. The Lakers have 6 new faces: Payton, Malone, Ho Grant, Cook, Walton, and possibly Sampson/Chenowith or hopefully another FA like JJ or Raja Bell. The Wolves have 5 new faces: Spree, Kandi-man, Cassel, Ervin Johnson, Nubi...and still could add up to 4 more to make the roster 14. JJ is now possibly going to take one of those 4 spots and that would make this summer, dare I say it, even more successful than the Lakers. The only thing the Lakers have on them is that, their moves came cheap.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby SWOL on Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:22 pm

dont we have 2 LLE's....i know that Malone got 1 who got the other?????
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:47 pm

We had 1 MLE ($4.5M) that went to Payton....1 LLE ($1.5M) that went to Malone.....2 vet. min. ($1.07M) one going to Ho Grant and the other is still left to be seen....we signed Sampson and Oasuama to invites so those guys aren't guaranteed anything yet. So basically who wants to come to LALA land for $1.07M and be part of the hype surrounding a 4 HOF line-up and the Kobe trial....oh yeah and be part of history breaking the Bulls record of 72 wins and going 16-0 in the playoffs in route to a championship.....and we'll be paying someone $1.07M to be a part of all that....people should be throwing themselves at us!
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby zetaw00d on Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:46 pm

If JJ signs with the wolves, that would be bad news for the queens!!! JJ took over hedos spot and he also got traded.... They have lost 3 players from last season and only gain one, other then rookies...
zetaw00d

Postby JSM on Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:44 pm

if we do sign another sf or sg or a combo, then here are some players I think we should look into or consider because they are still available-
Walt Williams
Reggie Miller
Kendall Gill
Jim Jackson(but it looks like he's going to sign with the T-Wolves)
Steve Smith
Bryon Russell
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Coppertop on Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:17 pm

FYI everybody. We actually get unlimited veteran's minimum exceptions.
Coppertop

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:25 pm

Yeah, coppertop is right...I guess I should have put it this way....the Lakers are not looking for anything above 14 heads....I think personally that they are done at 13 but since Fox is on the IL and Kobe is a possible uncertainty...we have an 11 man rotation....So I should have said that we only have 1 MLE and 1 LLE, and are looking to use 2 vet. mins. to get that 14th man, with one already going to Ho Grant. Even if we sign someone to the vet. min. we can still pick up one more player through training camp, since they wouldn't have a guaranteed contract till January. But that is probably unlikely. Come on Mitch, just one more signature...hopefully one including two J's.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Roscoe on Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:38 pm

Bryon Russell sounds nice if we can't get Jimmy Jackson...
Roscoe
ClubLakers O.G.

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:32 pm

Its just that I haven't seen Russel play where I can evaluate him. We only saw Washington twice and we saw the Queens 4 times plus in the playoffs (not against us of course)...but that is why I like JJ's game, because I know he could make a good SF as well as a SG. I only want him more on the team, because of all this [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] revolving around Kobe. If Kobe was in the clear....I would a more legititmate Center, cuz Ho is more of a PF. But seeing how this there are new rumors everyday...it seems that it will be that way well into the season and it has to take a toll on Kobe at some point (I really feel like he should be punished for cheating, but this is getting to be too much and we still haven't reached a trial date yet). Take the Kobe issues in combination with an injury-prone George and also a Fox on the IL and we got serious issues at the 2/3 spot. That is why I'm pullin hard for JJ or even Russel. Otherwise, I wouldn't care as much. I hope Mitch and Buss see it the same way.

Hey but guys, here's a thought. Lets say we don't get JJ or any other FA worth mentioning...would you guys rather want a camp invite as the 14th man or would you like to give Tracy Murray another shot. I read that he did average 35 in the summer leagues and if he could back George till Fox gets back, it wouldn't be too bad. He would only hurt us on defense, but other than that on offense, people will cheat off him to double on Shaq, Malone and Payton (Kobe too, if his legal issues are done by then) and he would knock down those open shots (like he is already doing this summer) What do you guys think?
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby SWOL on Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:59 pm

we saw Russell with the Jazz for years, before that at LB State, Russell is a nice 3
SWOL

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:18 pm

Yeah, Russell looked really good in eliminating us two years in a row, but after MJ posterized him for all eternity...he has played a little passive and scared. When I see him play, it almost seems like he is playing old. When I realized that he was only 32, I was shocked cause I expected him to be older. I guess, MJ has that effect on people....look at what happend to Craig Ehlo and John Starks. That's how Russell looks now.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:37 pm

I would like to see one of the following sign with of for the Vet. min.-
Miller-still is a very good player who wouldn't mind getting a ring and can shoot very well.
Jackson-would be the best person we could get, but looks like he might go elsewhere
Russell-would be a nice pick up, would do better with a team like the Lakers instead of a young team who doesn't try and didn't want him, the only reason he was brought in to Washington was because MJ wanted him.

None of these players are money hungry players, and they aren't players who won't be able to be any good come start of the season, like Walker of Murray were.
JSM

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:48 pm

It's weird that you brought up Murray, cause I posted elsewhere that if things didn't work out with any of those guys that you talked about, then what if we gave Tracy Murray another shot. People have been saying he shot the lights out in the summer leagues and even though that is against scrubs, he hit that open shot. He would be seeing way more open shots then last year. Whoever would guard him would definitely cheat off him, to help on Shaq, Kobe, Payton, and Malone and that will totally open him up for a wide open shot, which he can either take or rotate the ball to a more open man. He would hurt us on defense, no doubt, but he has alot of help there with the 4 HOF's so it won't be as bad. Plus he knows the triangle....so what do you guys think (only if we can't get a FA)?
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:36 pm

the only way I would possibly go along with this, is if we can't get any free agent that fits what we need or that could be helpful to us at all. Then if he has shown signs of improvement and has become better on D, then I would consider re-signing him.
JSM

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:44 pm

You would make a better GM then me....I'm just too soft. I feel bad for the guy. When we got him with Rush, he was sooo excited to come back home and compete for a championship. Even during the playoffs, you have got to feel bad for the guy for not making the playoff roster. We really needed him when both, Fox and George went down. You could tell that he was itchin to get in there. But I agee with you JSM...he would absolutely by my last resort...but if it came down to that, I would sign him up in a heartbeat.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerFan1972 on Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:15 pm

We were like last in the league defending the 3 pointer. Having Shaq in better condition will improve the defense the most, but it would still be good to have a bit more depth in the perimeter. I think adding an athletic 2/3 who can D-up would give us enough depth to get through the season.

Murray couldn't get playing time because of his D or lack of D. That will not change if he came back.

Russell would be okay though JJ would be a better fit.
LakerFan1972

Postby SWOL on Sat Aug 02, 2003 5:43 pm

what about John Starks and his one nut
SWOL

Return to NBA Discussion