ESPN replacing Broussard Barry w/ SVG & Simmons in studio

Re: ESPN replacing Broussard Barry w/ SVG & Simmons in studio

Postby The Rock on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:05 pm

Doc Brown wrote:^^^^

I don't get Barry's hate for the Lakers. I want to know who pooped in his cereal because it seemed like every game he was harping on meaningless crap over and over again.

I think he was on the Lakers when Kobe was like in his 1st 2 years, im sure there were some battles in practice and Barry took it personal

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:08 pm

Simmons is a fruity sounding dude. I absolutely couldn't listen to him when he comes on TV/radio

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby LakRfAn on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:13 pm

they should have replaced barry with barry

brent is infinitely better than jon
LakRfAn
Resident Hoops Junkie

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:13 am

Guess there will be no SVG after all.

Dan Devine of Yahoo wrote:While we'd all love to see Stan Van Gundy stalking the sidelines for an NBA team this season rather than sitting at home after getting fired by the Orlando Magic back in May, most NBA fans have been very excited by the prospect of the famously irascible coach joining ESPN's "NBA Countdown" broadcast. The rumor, first reported last month by Sports by Brooks, that Van Gundy would add his strategic smarts and acerbic wit to a studio show that often seems like it could use more of both seemed inspired, and maybe too good to be true.

So it was kind of a bummer (if not a shock) to read Wednesday that an ESPN spokesman had told Jason McIntyre of The Big Lead that SVG and the Worldwide Leader "differed on potential assignments and we moved in another direction." While failing to come to terms with ESPN doesn't preclude Van Gundy from finding other TV work, the EJ-Kenny-Charles-Shaq squad at TNT doesn't seem to have much room for new blood and saddling up with Rick Kamla nightly on NBA TV doesn't seem like something the ex-coach would be too interested in (though I know Eric Freeman would love it). Less than three weeks left before Opening Night, this could mean no big-time national gig for Stan heading into the regular season, which would be disappointing for anyone interested in seeing and hearing more SVG (READ: any right-thinking individual).

McIntyre notes that ESPN is a broadcast partner of the NBA, with the network paying nearly $1 billion for the right to show NBA content, and wonders whether Van Gundy's longstanding frostiness (and, in more recent settings like this ESPN.com podcast, outright animus) toward NBA Commissioner David Stern had something to do with the scuttling of the deal. (Van Gundy's also had less-than-kind words for an ESPN personality in the recent past, too.)

It all seemed like the kind of inside baseball that media types find interesting, but doesn't really go anywhere after the fact. Except that, after the fact, Van Gundy did go somewhere — to "The Dan LeBatard Show" on Miami sports radio station 790 The Ticket, where (at about the 28-minute mark) he discussed the TBL report with his trademark tact, reserve and hahahahaha, no, just kidding, he broke out the napalm.

Van Gundy called the ESPN spokesperson's account "just a flat-out lie," said he hadn't gotten a straight answer on what happened "nobody there has the guts to say anything," and much more. From McIntyre's transcript of that portion of the interview:

"No one at ESPN will tell us what happened. Certainly the NBA office isn't going to tell us what happened. One of the quotes from ESPN in there — 'we had discussions, but couldn't agree on a role' ... as is usual, that's a bunch of BS from ESPN.

"We actually did agree on a role, but then they came back and pulled that. That's when we knew something was up. [...]

"What I find fascinating ... you have to give David Stern and the NBA a lot of credit ... ESPN pays the league, and then the league tells them what to do. It's more ESPN's problem. You gotta have no balls whatsoever to pay someone hundreds of millions of dollars and let them run your business."

Obviously, this is just one side of the story coming from the very specific perspective of a party who believes himself to have been wronged by one or two giant corporations. We've reached out to ESPN and the NBA for comment on Van Gundy's assertions, and will update this post if we receive any replies.

That said: Well, if there ever was a flicker of a chance that Stan Van Gundy was going to work for ESPN this season (and probably in any season for the rest of recorded time), that light has now likely been extinguished. Which stinks, because I was looking forward to seeing him play with the Magic 8-Ball like you wouldn't believe.

It's been pretty well established at this point that Van Gundy gives very few damns what most people in the world think about him, which is part of what makes him so entertaining; these comments to LeBatard certainly do nothing to damage that reputation. But as was the case with his public airing of the in-house dirty laundry surrounding Dwight Howard's alleged push to have him fired, there's something about this that seems like a counterintuitive professional move.

Sure, fans loved it when Van Gundy publicly humiliated his franchise star, revealed front-office confidences and shined a spotlight on locker room tension, but if you were a GM or president of basketball operations, wouldn't that kind of behavior make you think twice before handing him several million dollars a year to take the reins of your organization's primary product? Similarly, while an awful lot of people enjoy seeing ESPN poked and prodded this way, if you're someone who makes decisions on which commentators get paid well to regularly appear on national television to discuss basketball, wouldn't you have to really think about entering into talks with someone who has shown that, if things go south, he'll throw details of your negotiations out in public and drag your brand through the mud?

As a person, I'm all for honesty and fair dealing, and as a fan, I think it's awesome that Van Gundy marches to his own beat and (it seems) simply tells the truth as he sees it. But I'd be lying if I said I'm not starting to think of stuff like this as sort of unprofessional, and if I'm thinking that, then I'm betting there's at least a chance that a lot of the people who could actually pay Stan to do lucrative NBA-related work are thinking it, too.

If what Van Gundy's saying is true, I wouldn't blame him for being mad at ESPN for pulling out on the deal; if he's right that Stern or the NBA office in any way had its thumb on the scale, I wouldn't blame him for being furious (and I'd also be pretty pissed at the league for kiboshing something that tons of fans would love over some contentious comments). But lashing out like a scorned lover about it seems like a bad way of handling one's business, and as someone who'd really, really like Stan Van Gundy to be around the league as long as humanly possible, that worries me a bit.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby davriver290 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:42 am

Now all they have to do is get rid of Magic Johnson. Guy is a legend in basketball, but can't talk a lick of it on television.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby 24K GOLD on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:21 am

Magic vs Simmons would be solid.
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby The Original 81 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:26 am

Stern went on Colin Cowherd’s show and fired back:

“I would render a guess … that we won’t be hearing from him for the rest of the season.”

"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby BDG on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:43 pm

^ Man the guy even sounds like a dictator too.

:man10:

Can't wait till he's gone.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Juronimo on Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:05 pm

Stern is insane. Didn't he make some comment about knowing were the bodies were buried?

David Stern is the Suge Knight of professional sports.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby Thenextgreat on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:36 am

Jeff Van Gundy, the lead game analyst for ESPN's and ABC's coverage of the NBA, implies that his brother Stan's deal to join the network did not work out because the league blocked the move.

In an interview with USA Today Sports, Jeff Van Gundy said that his brother, who was fired in May after five seasons as coach of the Orlando Magic, "had a basic agreement" with ESPN "and then something changed."

Stan
Van Gundy
"There's certainly circumstantial evidence that something from the outside -- presumably the NBA -- changed (ESPN's) thinking," Jeff Van Gundy told USA Today. "As a broadcaster of the NBA, it gives you pause. How forthcoming can you be? You don't want your honesty to cost you a chance at employment."

An ESPN spokesperson told USA Today that the network "had discussions with Stan, and we were interested in a role for him at ESPN. Ultimately, we moved in a different direction."

Stan Van Gundy has expressed strong opinions in the past, sometimes clashing with the league. When then-Magic center Dwight Howard earned a suspension in 2011, Van Gundy said:

"This is the system David Stern and his minions like. So that's the system you have. ... I certainly can't have an opinion because David Stern, like a lot of leaders we've seen in this world lately, don't really tolerate other people's opinion or free speech or anything. So I'm not really allowed to have an opinion."

Stan Van Gundy spoke to Dan Le Batard on The Ticket, a radio station in Miami, nearly two weeks ago to explain why he thought his potential hiring as an ESPN analyst fell apart. Van Gundy's quotes were picked up on various sports websites.

"No one at ESPN will tell us what happened. Certainly the NBA office isn't going to tell us what happened. One of the quotes from ESPN in there -- we had discussions, but couldn't agree on a role ... as is usual, that's a bunch of BS from ESPN," Van Gundy told Le Batard. The radio host also works for ESPN.

Van Gundy went on to say that "What I find fascinating ... you have to give (NBA commissioner) David Stern and the NBA a lot of credit ... ESPN pays the league, and then the league tells them what to do. It's more ESPN's problem ... to pay someone hundreds of millions of dollars and let them run your business."

He also said, "Nobody is going to give a straight answer because -- that's just the way a lot of people operate -- nobody there has the guts to say anything, so that's what you deal

I found this interesting...I wonder how much control the NBA has over what ESPN does... :disagree:
Thenextgreat

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:17 am

Basketball reasons
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby thkthebest on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:40 am

"This is the system David Stern and his minions like. So that's the system you have. ... I certainly can't have an opinion because David Stern, like a lot of leaders we've seen in this world lately, don't really tolerate other people's opinion or free speech or anything. So I'm not really allowed to have an opinion."

"No one at ESPN will tell us what happened. Certainly the NBA office isn't going to tell us what happened. One of the quotes from ESPN in there -- we had discussions, but couldn't agree on a role ... as is usual, that's a bunch of BS from ESPN," Van Gundy told Le Batard. The radio host also works for ESPN.

Van Gundy went on to say that "What I find fascinating ... you have to give (NBA commissioner) David Stern and the NBA a lot of credit ... ESPN pays the league, and then the league tells them what to do. It's more ESPN's problem ... to pay someone hundreds of millions of dollars and let them run your business."

He also said, "Nobody is going to give a straight answer because -- that's just the way a lot of people operate -- nobody there has the guts to say anything, so that's what you deal

:man10:

The Van Gundy brothers are awesome. We need more of them in the NBA.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:29 pm

Yeah I was really looking forward to SVG. No kiss-*** analysis just says exactly what he is thinking. Figures ESPN changed their mind about a guy like that. I wouldn't be surprised if JVG gets canned soon, but then again he's literally the only reason I can tolerate ESPN/ABC broadcasts
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:31 am

I always laugh when JVG tells it like it is and then tool Breen try to calm him down because he's probably asked to do so :man10: ... he can be fired and coach our team , I'm cool with that
wcsoldier81

Previous

Return to NBA Discussion