Fans Expect Too Much

Fans Expect Too Much

Postby Kobe834 on Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:16 pm

Nowadays, people are getting famous too easily. A couple of scouts pass by a park and see one kid hit a single jumpshot, and they're all over him, working him out like heck. "The Next Jordan" doesn't come when you expect him to; People think there has to be a next Michael every year. Thats how players turn out to be flukes, and not what we expected them to be.
Being compared to someone of Jordans caliber is a high honor, and it shouldn't be wasted on kids who can just plain play this game. If they prove themselves worthy in the next coming years, then they should be recognized. I don't think there will quite be another Jordan. But the fact that everyone expects there to be each year, makes others them think differently.
The next Jordan doesn't have to come every year. He could come 100 years from now. He may never come at all. The fact of the matter is, that for LeBron, the rest of these kids, and their fans, is that only to be the best, you've got to earn it. People should realize that Michael Jordan made his way to the top not by hype, but with years of hard work and experience. LeBron hasn't even played an NBA season game yet.
I am not writing this because I do not favor LeBron or any of these players coming in, but because I would like to make a statement for those who expect too much. I would expect him to be not another Jordan or Magic Johnson, but rather another Jason Richardson or Darius Miles. One who's game spectacular, but very raw and cannot lead their team victoris night in and night out.
LeBron James' game is very similar to that of Vince Carter. He can hardly shoot a jumpshot, but peoople say thats all coverd because he can "rebound." But who can't rebound when you are 6 foot 8 inches tall, and are playing with high school kids half your size?
If he had gone to college, and survied well there, then I think he would deserve all the hype. This is why I favor Carmello rather than LeBron. He has proven himself worthy by leading his team to an NCAA title his freshman year. I say this because he is not only a highlight reel, but a team motivator as did Michael, unlike some who come into this league. Think about it, wouldn't you feel more comfortable with Carmello than LeBron? I personally would. I would say that the title as "The Next Micael Jordan" would be better beside Carmello Anthony's name. He's definitely earned it. Maybe not yet as such an honorable title, but as a great player in the future. At least he's proven himself, and I think that's all that matters.
We've seen what he can do. We've seen that LeBron James can play with high shcool kids. LeBron has displayed some of the most unbelievable and ridiculous hype i've ever seen, or heard of, as my years as a basketball fan, and I think that it will turn out to be one of the biggest embarassments Cleveland has seen. Their naive approach to the game made them think that he would be a better investment than Carmello. Is he? Only time will tell, and theres no reason to "fast foward" the season so soon.
I've also have seen this in many players such as Ndudi Ebi, Macije Lampe, and Kendrick Perkins, who all have been compared to three of the greatest players this league has seen in Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitski, and Shaquille O'Neal, without even ever setting foot on an NBA court to begin with. Everyone doesn't always have to be the next somebody, why can't they be themselves and not have to worry about all the pressure that's on them to preform like the player they expect him to be?
We'll all see. And so will LeBron. I've seen this in many of the overhyped players, like Yao. You all see that he did not live up to all the hype. They expected him to be the next Shaq. He averaged 11 points a game. The only question I have for all of the players that are overhyped is, "Will they actually live up to the hype, or will they turn out to be like Yao?" A complete embarrassment to all who expected too much.
I am not at all critisizing Yao's game, it's just that people thought he would give Shaq some real competition. Did he? Sure, in blocks, but he knew, and everyone did also that he had no chance in the post alone with O'Neal. Yet they still created (or tried to create) a rivalry that was never meant to be. Players these days have it easy. Players then had to earn every single thing they put out on the court. This is a perfect example of todays expectations, and I just hope that in the future, the NBA fans will save themselves the humiliation and really think about who really deserves the credit.
Last edited by Kobe834 on Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kobe834

Postby Jamaican Lakerfan on Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:59 am

Great stuff, man! Agree 100%. There is waaaay too much hype these days over unproven players, and the viewing public then suffers the embarassment of seeing these "stars" fail on the court. Darius Miles can't do anything more than run and jump; has no real basketball skills, but is still rated highly by many. Sometimes I wonder: if another John Stockton showed up, would he even be drafted in the second round?

The biggest offenders are the media guys who should know better; I can understand the fan going crazy over "the next Jordan", but the so-called experts should know better and get off the public relations bandwagon.

Remember the hype around Vince! What has he really proven? That he and Antawn Jamison aren't that far apart. That apart from dunking there isn't much more in the game that he likes to do (defense).

As for King James, I hope he is as good as he has been made out to be. The meltdown in Cleveland if he isn't that good would be unbelievable. (It's good that his coach is trying to protect him by moving him from the point where he would have been eaten alive by the smaller, quicker points in the league).
Jamaican Lakerfan

Postby Guest on Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:14 am

I can't stand Lebron James either, anyone who gets $110 million in endorsments and is called the next MJ automatically before even playing 1 game in the NBA or in college, never will I be a fan of.

Phil Jackson said it best when 17 year old Kobe came in the league, he said coach's and players don't wanna babysit these little silver spoon babies.

I can't stand Lebron, he always has that little smerk on his face. I agree with you 100%, nice article.

Postby LakerFanFor16Years on Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:54 am

Posto wrote:I can't stand Lebron James either, anyone who gets $110 million in endorsments and is called the next MJ automatically before even playing 1 game in the NBA or in college, never will I be a fan of.

Phil Jackson said it best when 17 year old Kobe came in the league, he said coach's and players don't wanna babysit these little silver spoon babies.

I can't stand Lebron, he always has that little smerk on his face. I agree with you 100%, nice article.

Agree with u 100%. Im sick of all this LeBron talk.
LakerFanFor16Years

Postby smilez on Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:58 am

Nice article. How could someone compare MJ with Lebron if MJ went to college. I think he went for all for years, i think.
smilez

Postby rydjorker121 on Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:45 pm

yes, agree with that 100%. People just get swarmed over if they just do one single damn thing good--which is unfortunate. That's why we see a lot of high-profile draft picks who turn out to be flukes later on. AKA Samaki Walker. You should really submit that as an editorial, Kobe834. Scouts just are greedy: they expect too much out of the young guys, primarily high schoolers. I don't think Ndudi Ebi is going to be the next KG or LeBron the next Kobe, they'll just have to make a name for themselves. People nowadays are just getting too excited over the littlest things. What needs to come to join the league is mainly maturity. People don't realize that, as evident in D. Miles after hsi awful season with the Cavs. Don't get all hyped after hitting a jumper. Players have to earn their credit, and show what they do in the league. What scouts should do is mainly take notes on the progress and development of the players that they scout. It may be too early to determine their success reate; but that's surely a good start.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby Kobe834 on Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:12 pm

Thanx guys for all the support. I thought I just needed to get all of it off my chest. As for submitting the article, should I? Thanks :jam2:
Kobe834

Return to NBA Discussion