fight that broke out between the Pacers and Hornets

fight that broke out between the Pacers and Hornets

Postby JSM on Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:54 pm

I don't know all the details, but I read why Yahoo Sports had to say about it and I found these images.. Someone that actually saw it, please inform us of what went down and give us any extra details.

Yahoo Sports The Pacers never trailed in a game filled with hard fouls, tough defense and a shoving match between Indiana's Al Harrington and New Orleans' George Lynch that escalated into a fight, leading to the ejections of Harrington, Lynch and New Orleans center Jamaal Magloire.

The fight broke out with 9:15 to play when Harrington fouled Lynch near the Pacers' bench. Lynch elbowed Harrington in the jaw and Harrington responded by first shoving Lynch, then tackling him into the Pacers' bench.

A melee ensued, with several Hornets and Pacers piling into the area.

As several players, including Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal and Ron Artest, tried to break up the fight, Magloire came from across the court and dived into the pile. O'Neal tried to restrain Magloire and pull him away, and Magloire responded by shoving O'Neal.

After an extended delay, the three ejections were announced and play resumed with Indiana leading 75-57.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Kobe834 on Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:09 pm

choke man! :man10:
Kobe834

Postby Guest on Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:26 pm

George Lynch delibrately elbowed Harrington in the face when the play was dead, harrington charged him to the stands. Then O'Neal and Magloire started pushing eachother.

I saw it on ESPN.

Postby JSM on Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:38 pm

sounds like a good rivalry that we may see when the playoffs come around
JSM

Postby BDG on Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:42 pm

If George Lynch really started that, I'm glad Al Harrington beat him up.

Sounds good... I'll try and catch it on ESPNEWS.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby rydjorker121 on Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:39 pm

AL Harrington has been for some on-the-court shoving matches...and he has a temper that can flare up easily...its ironic how he shares the same team with Ron Artest...

I remember last year he tried to punch the Kings' Gerald Wallace when Indiana was already blown out and the game was over. Young guys. Sigh.

But if George Lynch the vet really started it I don't know what to think..
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby BDG on Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:07 pm

I just watched it on ESPN and it looks like it WAS George Lynch who started it. Like Posto said, he threw an elbow to Harrington after the play and Harrington took him down into the stands.

I taped the replay on ESPN NEWS, does anyone want the video?
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby JSM on Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:11 pm

yeah, because I haven't seen it yet. And whenever they show basketball highlights on ESPN I come in at the tail end and miss this game
JSM

Postby BDG on Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:12 pm

Allright, I'll put it up later tonight.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby JSM on Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:14 pm

wow, look at what was said about it after the game...all I got to say is the next game is going to get ugly and fast

Sportsline: "They don't like us and we don't like them," Hornets guard Baron Davis said. "That's just how it's going to be."

Harrington said no punches were thrown, but it was clear that plenty of animosity will carry over to their next game -- Feb. 17 at Indianapolis.

When told of Davis' comment, Harrington said, "Well, we don't like them neither. The NBA better bring all their best officiating crews and plenty of security, because it's going to be a war the next time we see them."

Davis complained that the Pacers were delivering cheap shots all game.

"That's how it's going to be every time we play them," Davis said. "People are going to fall, get elbowed, get cheap-shotted. If that's how they're going to play, that's how it's going to be from here on out."

That's just fine with Harrington.

"It's on now," Harrington said. "Every time we play them, it's going to be a very good basketball game."
JSM

Postby BDG on Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:27 pm

Whoa, looks like they mean business...

The video clip of the fight will be up in a half hour.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby BDG on Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:47 pm

There we go-- you can view it here: http://www.clublakers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6187

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby NBN on Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:26 pm

yea... it was hot...
bball
NBN

Postby JSM on Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:35 pm

Here are the punishments for the fight
ESPN: George Lynch, Jamaal Magloire and Al Harrington were each fined $10,000 by the NBA on Monday for their roles in an altercation Saturday night.
JSM

Postby BDG on Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:45 pm

That's IT? I'd like to see the league at least be consistent with their punishments for fighting.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby JSM on Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:48 pm

yeah, I espected a harsher punishment, or at least a suspension, but a 10k fine...that's nothing to them
JSM

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:56 pm

ha i thot they'd get suspended a couple of games

i mean mlaone suspended for 1 game for an elbow?

that was a full on BRAWL
FabFourLakers

Postby BDG on Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:58 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:i mean mlaone suspended for 1 game for an elbow?
Yeah, that wasn't even an actual fight and they suspend him a game? That's dumb.

BDG
Retired Admin

Return to NBA Discussion