Fire Bird...the Pacers are ruined

Fire Bird...the Pacers are ruined

Postby rydjorker121 on Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:44 am

Regarding the firing, I definitely didn't like it...Thomas was 131-115 as a coach and although he never got the Pacers over the hump of the first round, he still deserved to end his contract (1 more year) in a much more deserving way....

Bird is just too blind to see. Did he forget his skills as a GM to in fact, negotiate with the coach Thomas in order to see what they could do? No. Bird just plain ol' gave him the butt whip and sent him packing imminently. That's harsh. Thomas deserved better, and made guys like Jermaine O'Neal fall in love with him.

In a retrospective, you can say that the Pacers are rebuilding at this point. They look more damn awful than last year's Pacers, especially with Brad Miller packing, as well as Erick Strickland and other great cores of the team. In return you also get an injury-plagued Scot Pollard and Danny Ferry, who's going to leave the team to join the Spurs' basketball operations crew. Now you get an unhappy Jermaine O'Neal after the Isiah Thomas firing. How bad can you get, Larry Bird? That was an awful move that was self-explanatory after you fired Thomas.

Now Bird's trying to get ol' friend, Rick Carlisle, to complete his dirty work for the offseason. There are no more prominent free agents left, although they can still get Jim Jackson or some other guy with the money they have left ($1.5 million). Nonetheless, that doesn't make the team outlook any better. Like when Toronto got injury-plagued, the same may be said to Indiana, but in a different retrospective: they're screwing their team up by wrecking their chemistry. That's enough harm, and now, if you're Indy, you've just got to hope Scot Pollard, Jon Bender, and Al Harrington steps it up. As for Jermaine, it's over. He may still contribute, but may be pissed off at Bird and contribute less for his firing of Thomas.

Regardless of whether or not Indiana stocks up, they've still got a pool of talent in those young'uns, and they've got veterans like Reggie Miller to manhandle them and groom them. It's the coaching that I dislike. Larry Bird getting back Carlisle to the Pacers? Carlisle, now, may be no better than Thomas, even though he helped a bleeding Detroit team reach the playoffs. Indiana's bleeding, alright, since they are now in danger in missing the playoffs (at least in my opinion) because of Bird's stupidity. It still remains to be seen whether Carlisle could help their cause. He had problems with Al Harrington when he was assistant coach, anf because of the Thomas firing there may be loooming problems ahead of him. Bird should have addressed this situation like a true professional and make things right for both the team and the coach. Make everyone happy. That's all there is to it, and the chemistry and the team would be back in the flow.

Still, Indiana should do more than just hire Carlisle on Tuesday. They should trade Ron Artest and Austin Croshere in return for salary-cap relief and another player. That would help their cause more in the offseason and get rid of a fat contract and a lumbering cancer both on the court and in the locker room. Even a site wanted them to trade Artest, that's how bad it was. Not only that, though, but Bird should try to have a one-on-one meeting with Thomas to discuss things and details over, and say that he's sorry especially for not letting him know ahead of time. Bird should be angry with himself: he screwed up the team, along with screwing up his reputation.

That's why we say the chant now: Fire Bird! I may not be a Pacer fan, but I feel for the emotions of players, and when players aren't getting along with their mentors, that's bad. Bird may think that he's right, but when it comes to organization, communal order and obedience, Larry Bird is just heading in the wrong direction.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby rydjorker121 on Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:31 pm

love this article...
http://www.hoopshype.com/columns/thomas_serravalle.htm

There are reasons why Bird fired Thomas. Now I know why Thomas hardly used Jonathan Bender last season.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby Kobe834 on Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:19 pm

Pacers are actually lucky if they get carlisle. he's a very experienced coach that i think can lead a team to better results than thomas ever did. He's a great fit for the pacers. they are a young team and that is carlisles specialty. bringin out the best in players like bender, and artest. just like he did rip and chauncey.
Kobe834

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:18 am

i dunno what ur complaining about

carlisle is a GREAT coach..i mean he took the pistons OUT OF NOWHERE and turned them into an eastern conference power house!

thomas was never given a great team to work with, he had jermaine oneal to build around, and i thot this year he could really improve upon last years record, but they jus had to fire him! The only thing i'd be worried about if i was Larry Bird is if Jermaine isnt happy and demands a trade throughout the season! that wouldnt be good!
FabFourLakers

Postby rydjorker121 on Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:33 pm

yeah...but firing Thomas like that...that must really hurt :man5:
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby BoogieKnight on Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:25 pm

rydjorker121 wrote:love this article...
http://www.hoopshype.com/columns/thomas_serravalle.htm

There are reasons why Bird fired Thomas. Now I know why Thomas hardly used Jonathan Bender last season.

Can you please explain to me why Thomas didn't play Bender much last season? Cause I didn't get anything out of that article. Also, can you give me my 3 minutes back from reading that article? :freak2:

"You know what we are in Sacramento when it comes to Los Angeles? Whiners.
We excel at "The Crying Game."
And once again, our motto remains: We played, we lost, we b*tched about it."

By Marcos Bretón - Bee Columnist
BoogieKnight

Postby Kobe's Therapist on Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:58 am

There's probably going to be some interesting fall out from this firing ... I can't wait to see what happens now. hehe

And yes, the Pacers are done ... they will be about the 4th best team in the east (Nets, Detroit, and Magic) ... and won't make much of an impact in the playoffs ... then again, barring injuries and such, nobody will beat the Nets in the East.
Kobe's Therapist

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:41 pm

Kobe's Therapist wrote:There's probably going to be some interesting fall out from this firing ... I can't wait to see what happens now. hehe

And yes, the Pacers are done ... they will be about the 4th best team in the east (Nets, Detroit, and Magic) ... and won't make much of an impact in the playoffs ... then again, barring injuries and such, nobody will beat the Nets in the East.

Magic? top 4? How about the sixers with Glenn Robinson? They were 4th last year without G Rob, and they had only one dominant scorer...i think the sixers will go 1st or 3rd this year, depending on if Mourning can play a full season with the nets and no injuries happen...but prolly nets pacers and sixers and then detroit...cuz carlisle will turn the pacers around
FabFourLakers

Postby rydjorker121 on Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:00 pm

personally I don't think Carlisle will handle the Pacer's situation any better than Isiah Thomas did--after all, anyone who prefers using Austin Croshere over Al Harrington must be out of whack. He did turn the Detroit team around and was coach of the year--but really I thought that Detroit had a lot of potential and most of it was Joe Dumars's doing. And that's the truth. This year's not the same. They have a great defensive lineup and adequate backups to boot. And plus, an experienced coach in Larry Brown. Carlisle seems to be soft, and he doesn't seem to motivate the team (never heard him yell on the court). It's all Dumars. As for the Pacers, they look like they're rebuilding and stocking up. I don't think Rick would handle their situation well.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Return to NBA Discussion