Fish Returns To The Thunder For The Rest Of The Season

Fish Returns To The Thunder For The Rest Of The Season

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:58 pm

By Dave McMenamin and Marc Stein | ESPN.com

The Oklahoma City Thunder are preparing to re-sign veteran guard Derek Fisher, according to sources familiar with the Thunder's thinking.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Thunder, after trading Eric Maynor away last week before the NBA's annual trade deadline, have made plans to sign Fisher, who joined the Thunder for the stretch run in March 2012 after the Los Angeles Lakers dealt Fisher to Houston.

The veteran guard will sign with the team Monday for the remainder of the season, according to multiple league sources.

Fisher appeared in nine games this season with the Dallas Mavericks before asking for his release in December because the 38-year-old -- after suffering a knee injury -- wanted to return home to his family in Los Angeles.

Fisher, who won five championships with the Los Angeles Lakers, was viewed as a key locker room presence by Oklahoma City coach Scott Brooks as the Thunder made it all the way to the Finals, losing to the Miami Heat in five games.

In recent weeks, Fisher -- who doubles as NBA Players Association president -- has been working out of the NBPA offices in advance of the player vote during All-Star Weekend to oust union chief Billy Hunter.

Fisher was productive during his brief stint in Dallas, averaging 8.6 points and 3.6 assists in just over 25 minutes per game. And he was a natural fit in the Oklahoma City locker room last spring, delivering valuable championship experience to a team short on playoff-tested veterans.

Upon his release from the Mavericks in December, Fisher said: "The recovery time [from the knee injury] will be approximately two weeks. With this news and the difficulty I have been having being away from my family, I have asked the organization to waive me so I can return home.

"[Mavericks owner] Mark Cuban has been extremely supportive and has granted me this request. I cannot say enough good things about this organization. From Mark, to Coach [Rick] Carlisle, to the players on the Mavericks' team, I sincerely thank them for the opportunity.

"I have made decisions in the past, leaving money and opportunity on the table, and I will need to do that again. My family is my priority and that is where I choose to be. I won't close the possibility that I will play again, however for now my family and being close to them remains the priority."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/89825 ... rek-fisher
Kobe8Fan

Re: Fish Returns To The Thunder For The Rest Of The Season

Postby Finwë on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:08 am

I didn't expect him to come back. He'll probably be their 3rd PG behind Westbrook and Jackson. Won't play much, but he'll be vocal and he'll provide experience. Maybe he'll start developing as a potential assistant coach.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby XXIV on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:09 am

I'm surprised to hear this, I thought he'd either come back here or retire.
XXIV

Postby Nashty Gal on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:23 am

Wow.. so is he going to be wearing #38?
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby lakersyunowin on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:53 am

fish you shoulda come back to LA just be a locker room guy :[
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby kenzo on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:45 am

LOL, this guy doesn't go away. I guess he got tired of his family :man9:
kenzo

Postby 432J on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:26 am

wow again?

i don't think fish is ever gonna hang them up! off the court he brings alot in the locker room but at this point in his career, it's obvious he's slowed down quite a bit
432J

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:12 am

If Doberman was still here, we would be getting a Derek Fisher Trojan Horse Thread in 3....2....1....
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby John3:16 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:26 am

Wish he was signing with us. :man6:
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby quartzcharm on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:29 am

Good to see Fish back in the league!

I wish he were signing with us too, but next year :man12:
quartzcharm

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:45 am

He's there because after Harden left they need someone in the locker room to build comraderie fast.

The Thunder simply aren't as scary without Harden. Are they still the best in the West? Maybe. But with Harden on their team, that wouldn't have been questionable. They'll kick themselves for making that move.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:03 am

i wish the lakers would bring back fish as a coach

his locker room presence is something this team really needs. kobe is a leader but i dont think he brings the same thing that fisher did
432J

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:59 am

432J wrote:i wish the lakers would bring back fish as a coach

Right? I've been saying this for days to every Laker fan I know. It makes too much sense.

Perfect scenario -- get Phil as VP of player personnel, B-Shaw as head coach, and D-Fish as an assistant coach for 2013-14 :jam2:
Chillbongo

Postby The Laker Link on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:08 pm

I was hoping we cut Sacre and then sign Fish and Lou but oh well. Best of luck to Fish and OKC.
The Laker Link

Postby karacha on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:57 pm

Championship.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Elle on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:58 am

Chillbongo wrote:
432J wrote:i wish the lakers would bring back fish as a coach

Right? I've been saying this for days to every Laker fan I know. It makes too much sense.

Perfect scenario -- get Phil as VP of player personnel, B-Shaw as head coach, and D-Fish as an assistant coach for 2013-14 :jam2:

That would be a dream come true. I'm just glad he's back playing, he's been missed!
Elle

Postby LakeShow09 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:52 pm

Mark Cuban: I'll boo Derek Fisher

DALLAS -- Mavericks owner Mark Cuban vowed to give Derek Fisher a villain's welcome during the 38-year-old point guard's return to Dallas.

Fisher signed with the Oklahoma City Thunder in late February, approximately two months after the Mavs granted his request to be released, purportedly because the 17-year veteran missed his family. Cuban was admittedly agitated by Fisher's decision to return to the NBA without at least discussing the situation with him.

While Fisher expressed a fondness for Cuban and others in the Mavs' organization before Sunday night's game at the American Airlines Center, that feeling isn't mutual, at least as far as Cuban is concerned.

"I'll just boo him like hopefully everybody else," Cuban said.

After Fisher signed with the Thunder, Cuban reacted with sarcasm, mockingly saying that Fisher's kids had grown up a lot in 65 days and that it was much easier to fly in and out of Oklahoma City than Dallas. On Sunday night, Cuban directly questioned Fisher's integrity.

"I took the bait," Cuban said.

Cuban said he was particularly perturbed by Fisher's decision to join a contender after quitting on the Mavs because the five-time NBA champion repeatedly reached out to Cuban when Fisher was unemployed at the beginning of the season. He said he offered Fisher personal advice and fell for the point guard's pitch, prompting the Mavs to sign him.

"My personality is to try to help somebody, particularly somebody that I thought one thing about, even if it didn't turn out to be that way," Cuban said. "So I was just trying to be nice and help. Usually when you help somebody, you expect at least some semblance of loyalty back. When you don't get it, then it's more disappointing.

"With his history, I shouldn't have been surprised what happened."

Fisher's release from the Mavs marked the third time since 2007 that he was able to nullify his contract. The Houston Rockets bought out his deal last March after he was traded to Houston from the Lakers. In 2007, Fisher gave up around $8 million from the Utah Jazz to sign with the Lakers so his family could be closer to the doctors who were treating his daughter for a rare form of eye cancer.

The Mavs were 5-4 during Fisher's short Dallas tenure. He averaged 8.6 points and 3.4 assists in 25.4 minutes in those nine games, replacing Darren Collison as the Mavs' starting point guard.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/9063581/mark-cuban-says-hopefully-everybody-boos-derek-fisher-return-dallas
LakeShow09

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:14 am

Well word around here from disgruntled Mavs fans is that Cuban signed him when no other team wanted to give him a shot (including OKC, who felt like he could be useful for a few months but not an entire season). Granted Cuban had use for him, but so did other teams who passed on him. Then he bails on the team when they're struggling. I know he's looking for a chance to win a ring, but thats just slimy if you ask me.

Im not a fan of Cuban's but Id be upset with Fisher too.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby lakersyunowin on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:05 pm

doesn't really look good for fish, that much is true.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby ThizGuy83 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:12 pm

it doesnt look good for fisher at all...
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby Lakeshow24 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:38 pm

Fisher is on a buncha b.s...
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:20 pm

Aside from the Utah/daughter problem, the Rockets and Mavs is extremely shady. I don't blame a veteran with only a few years left for wanting to win a ring, but that's in free agency. You can't just not show up (Rockets) or asked to be released (Mavs) for one thing and come back to a contender like that.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby 432J on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:26 pm

still love fish but the way he left dallas is super shady and i side with cuban on this one

fisher pretty much quit on the mavs to join a winning team
432J

Postby khmrP on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:26 am

Doc Brown wrote:Aside from the Utah/daughter problem, the Rockets and Mavs is extremely shady. I don't blame a veteran with only a few years left for wanting to win a ring, but that's in free agency. You can't just not show up (Rockets) or asked to be released (Mavs) for one thing and come back to a contender like that.

he gave up guranteed money to get out of Hou, what are you talking about? Hou was glad that happened.
khmrP

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:33 am

khmrP wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Aside from the Utah/daughter problem, the Rockets and Mavs is extremely shady. I don't blame a veteran with only a few years left for wanting to win a ring, but that's in free agency. You can't just not show up (Rockets) or asked to be released (Mavs) for one thing and come back to a contender like that.

he gave up guranteed money to get out of Hou, what are you talking about? Hou was glad that happened.

:man3:

Yea I know, that's why I said he didn't even bother to show up to the Rockets because he didn't want to be on a team that didn't have a chance for a ring.

Nowhere did I say Houston was pissed about it.
Doc Brown

Next

Return to NBA Discussion