A "30 for 30" film on Pistons' Bad Boys in the works

A "30 for 30" film on Pistons' Bad Boys in the works

Postby Basketball Fan on Wed May 15, 2013 6:03 pm

http://www.freep.com/article/20130515/S ... /305150111

It looks like the Bad Boys will be the subject of an ESPN retrospective.

ESPN spokesperson Jennifer J. Cingari confirmed that a “30 for 30” documentary on the notorious Pistons squads that won two world titles and battled for Eastern Conference supremacy in the late 1980s and early 90s is “in the works.”

“A ‘30 for 30’ on the Bad Boys is in the works, but we don't have an air date or a film summary yet,” she said in an e-mail to the Free Press today.

The news should be exciting to Pistons fans, who have been clamoring for a documentary on that era of Pistons basketball since ESPN started airing the documentaries in October 2009.

The award-winning series has featured looks at the career of two-sport athlete Bo Jackson, basketball Hall of Famer Michael Jordan’s brief flirtation with minor-league baseball and other notable sports stories since ESPN was formed in 1979, hence the “30 for 30” title.

The Pistons have been approached by producers, but the project is still in the planning stages.
Basketball Fan

Re: A "30 for 30" film on Pistons' Bad Boys in the works

Postby XXIV on Thu May 16, 2013 3:04 pm

Excellent, I love the 30 for 30 series. I could see this one becoming one of their best ones yet, maybe just as good as the Fab Five one. Also, hopefully they get Rodman on their for obvious reasons.
XXIV

Postby CGrand81 on Thu May 16, 2013 6:41 pm

Yea I'll be watching this one, some are great (The U, Fab 5, Run Ricky) and others not so much (Steve Marich, Broke, Benji)
CGrand81

Postby Basketball Fan on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:07 pm

http://www.wxyz.com/sports/video-traile ... on-pistons

The Bad Boys are getting the '30 for 30' treatment later this month, and ESPN has released the first look at the documentary.

The tagline should catch any Detroit Pistons fan: "What if I told you, 'Sometimes, you gotta be bad to be good?"

'Bad Boys' premieres on ESPN on April 17 at 8 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... Q_JCC4LUAY
Basketball Fan

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:03 pm

Can't wait. The Bad Boys are one of the most underrated chamionship teams in history. They took down MJ, Bird and Magic in the toughest era ever. All the hard fouls and rough play was exciting and good for the game. Today, the game is a joke, every little foul is a technical.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby John3:16 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:53 pm

Nothing about Hakeem?
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:49 pm

Reminder this is premiering tonight at 5pm.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby John3:16 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:41 pm

I forgot how much teams hated each other back then.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Realm of Shadows on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:49 pm

CGrand81 wrote:Yea I'll be watching this one, some are great (The U, Fab 5, Run Ricky) and others not so much (Steve Marich, Broke, Benji)

We have differing opinions, I felt Run Ricky was meh and enjoyed Broke. Overall my favorite up to now may be the Reggie Miller vs NY one.
What do you get when you fall in love? You only get lies and pain and sorrow.
I feel so much like giving up
Realm of Shadows
Proud Mestizo

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:17 pm

What a show. I miss basketball in those days. The rivalries that were cemented with physical play. Can't believe Parish wasn't even thrown out the game after he threw a 5 punch combo at Laimbeer. But i guess the world saw it coming after what Laimbeer did to Bird the previous game. He does that today and he probably gets suspeneded half the season. This is my absolute biggest gripe with the league today. How soft it has become. I shake my head in disgust sometimes. Physical play is a part of basketball. Establishing a presence in the paint and not giving up easy points is a part of basketball. The league has turned the game into a showcase of athleticism. That's fine but you take away another essential part of the game.

The 80's were without a doubt THE toughest era in history and in the middle of the Celtics, Lakers, and Bulls dynasties, you had this group go back to back.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:37 pm

Great 30 for 30.

The same thing people are saying about that Pistons team in how those were the good old days, I'm sure many of us will be saying this about the Lakers Championships many many years from now when where old men.

I'm 23 years old and I really have a great appreciate for the olden days of hard fought basketball in the 80's and early 90's. I have no doubt in my mind that I will be very nostalgic many years from now in looking back at the Championship trophies I witnessed with these Lakers in my lifetime. :man5:

I wish I could relive those times as if I was witnessing them for the first time.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Weezy on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:01 pm

I didn't start watching the nba until '93 when I was like 9, so I didn't grow up knowing or hating these guys , so I enjoyed the documentary as I almost always do with these. Most of all it really showed how weak the NBA has gotten now, back then throwing multiple punches didn't even get you ejected from a game. I don't want the nba to have fighting or to be football-like in it's physicality, but dang it couldn't be any softer today, there should be a better middle ground.

It also came across, to me anyway, that maybe Isaiah doesn't get enough mention when other all time greats are mentioned, dude was freakin tough and baller. They said he scored what, 16 points in a minute and a half in one game if I heard right? He looked like he would have made Chris Paul cry with his physical play, and that's more how I remember and loved guard play during the 90s still. I had seen the game on ESPN classic before where he hurt his ankle against the Lakers and kept playing and was tearing it up, but that and some other highlights was about all I'd seen of him. It was also really informative on players like Mahorn and Dantley that I knew very little about, and about Rodman when he still at least looked normal.

Also, not to go off topic, but the best 30 for 30 I've seen recently, even though it's not technically part of the rest of them as it's sub-titled "Soccer Stories", was Hillsborough. I had never heard of that event/tragedy before that and it blew me away, actually made me tear up at one point. The way it builds to the tragedy gave me this sick feeling of dread, and the whole cover up and lies of what really happened by police was crazy. If you haven't seen that one, you should.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:12 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:Great 30 for 30.

The same thing people are saying about that Pistons team in how those were the good old days, I'm sure many of us will be saying this about the Lakers Championships many many years from now when where old men.

I'm 23 years old and I really have a great appreciate for the olden days of hard fought basketball in the 80's and early 90's. I have no doubt in my mind that I will be very nostalgic many years from now in looking back at the Championship trophies I witnessed with these Lakers in my lifetime. :man5:

I wish I could relive those times as if I was witnessing them for the first time.

The 08-09 season will always have a special place in my heart because we were down for years and it was Kobe's first as "the man." I think I went to every single home playoff game that year sans a couple of the first round games. I still remember how loud Staples was at game 7 against Houston. How lucky I felt to escape game 2 against Orlando when Lee missed that gimmee lay up.

Beating the Celts in 2010 was sweet and always will be but to get back on top again in 2009 was special. It cemented Kobe's legacy as one of the best ever. Had Kobe never won one as leading man, people would've always had the excuse that he only piggy backed off of Shaq. But that year, he silenced a lot of doubters. Prime Kobe, Gasol, and Odom. That offense was surgical.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:21 pm

This documentary further proves how tough it is to win a ring. It's a long, hard climb up to the top. The Pistons talked about how they obssessed about Boston and how Boston taught them how tough you had to be to get to that next level. Jordan alway talks about how tough it was to battle Detroit and how they showed him what it took to get to that next level. Kobe talked about Boston and how they showed him that he needed to get to another level of toughness to win. It's like all the greats are first humbled and defeated before they learned exactly what it takes to get to the top. It's like a trial by fire. Yeah, there are other instances of greats who won without such trials like Duncan, Bird, Magic etc but it's not easy to win it all. No one player can do it all. You have to play like a single unit that functions like a well oiled machime.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby lakefansac on Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:46 pm

I give my begrudging respect to the Pistons who beat the 80's Celtics, Lakers, and Bulls even though I hated them for being a**holes (especially Zeke and Laimbeer). Its too bad though that the "The Teacher" of those Pistons teams Adrian Dantley never got ring with them. He helped that team grow up and gain experience but Zeke hated him so he had him traded for his friend, Mark Aguirre. Actually, Adrian Dantley didn't even really want to be part of the documentary, and didn't watch it. He still hates Zeke even to this day calling him a con man.
lakefansac

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:30 pm

If you haven't seen this documentary, you are seriously missing out as a basketball fan.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:46 pm

Weezy wrote:I didn't start watching the nba until '93 when I was like 9, so I didn't grow up knowing or hating these guys , so I enjoyed the documentary as I almost always do with these. Most of all it really showed how weak the NBA has gotten now, back then throwing multiple punches didn't even get you ejected from a game. I don't want the nba to have fighting or to be football-like in it's physicality, but dang it couldn't be any softer today, there should be a better middle ground.

It also came across, to me anyway, that maybe Isaiah doesn't get enough mention when other all time greats are mentioned, dude was freakin tough and baller. They said he scored what, 16 points in a minute and a half in one game if I heard right? He looked like he would have made Chris Paul cry with his physical play, and that's more how I remember and loved guard play during the 90s still. I had seen the game on ESPN classic before where he hurt his ankle against the Lakers and kept playing and was tearing it up, but that and some other highlights was about all I'd seen of him. It was also really informative on players like Mahorn and Dantley that I knew very little about, and about Rodman when he still at least looked normal.

Also, not to go off topic, but the best 30 for 30 I've seen recently, even though it's not technically part of the rest of them as it's sub-titled "Soccer Stories", was Hillsborough. I had never heard of that event/tragedy before that and it blew me away, actually made me tear up at one point. The way it builds to the tragedy gave me this sick feeling of dread, and the whole cover up and lies of what really happened by police was crazy. If you haven't seen that one, you should.

I think Isiah is the most underrated great ever. He never gets mentioned in the same breath as Magic, Bird or MJ but he beat those guys at their best. But MJ blacklisted the guy. He absolutely deserved to be on the Dream Team over Stockton, but MJ was not going to be on the team if Isiah was. Plus, the guy took down 3 of the greatest teams ever so of course a large number of the fan base will discredit him. Isiah is appreciated by me. He was a killer. He smiled on the outside but wanted to rip your heart out. He had some of the most dominant stretches ever. Like scoring 16 points in less than 2 minutes or scoring 25 pts in one quarter in the finals on a seriously sprained ankle.
Lets Go Lakers

Return to NBA Discussion