Former NBA Player Isaiah Rider Arrested

Former NBA Player Isaiah Rider Arrested

Postby Heir on Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Image

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Former NBA player Isaiah Rider was jailed Saturday for investigation of auto theft, police said.

Rider, 37, was driving a car that failed to stop at an intersection about 2:30 a.m. in the city's Skid Row district, Officer Norma Eisenman said.

Officers checking the license plates discovered the car had been reported stolen from South Los Angeles, and Rider was arrested, police said.

He remained in the Los Angeles County jail on $25,000 bail, according to information on the website for the county Sheriff's Department.

Rider played at UNLV before reaching the NBA in 1993. He played with the Minnesota Timberwolves, Portland Trail Blazers, Atlanta Hawks, Los Angeles Lakers and Denver Nuggets before ending his career in 2001.Rider had a string of arrests both during and after his career for drug use, assault and other crimes. He also racked up large fines and suspensions during his playing days for offenses that ranged from being tardy to practice to spitting at fans.

In January, Berkeley police answering a report of a confrontation between a taxi driver and a passenger arrested Rider on Oakland warrants alleging unlawful firearm possession and grand theft.

Last year, he pleaded guilty in Marin County to several charges, including felony cocaine possession, battery and evading a police officer. Before sentencing, he told the court his life had spun out of control.


http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/ ... _arrested/
President of Royal Freshness Entertainment

Yes We Can
User avatar
Heir

 
Posts: 2318
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:19 pm
Location: In a Galaxy far, far away

Postby LakerPride247 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:24 pm

It's good to see things are going so well for him.
LakerPride247

 
Posts: 2843
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:31 pm
Location: Dallas,TX

Postby klavier84 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:34 pm

NBA should hire people to EDUCATE these athletes when they come into the league... so they learn to take care of themselves in all facets of life... especially in regards to dealing with money and how to keep the money in the pocket, so they don't have to go bankrupt right after their retirement. So many of these gifted athletes comes from a difficult background with no decent upbringing. I feel sorry for them... Isiah Rider... man... the man who pulled the East Bay Funk Dunk... I was so excited when he joined us in 2001.
User avatar
klavier84

 
Posts: 998
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:39 am
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Postby lotus on Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:59 pm

I think ESPN had this figure that 60% of pro NBA athletes are broke within 5 years of retiring or no longer playing pro basketball. I wonder if Rider is broke now.
lotus

 
Posts: 1851
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 8:15 am

Postby LkrsOvrMia on Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:10 pm

klavier84 wrote:NBA should hire people to EDUCATE these athletes when they come into the league


He's an adult. :bang:
"Why can't America realize that falling in love with Kobe doesn't mean breaking up with Michael?" Rick Reilly

Bryant, who will be representing Team USA for the first time, told Gasol: "Being that we lost this series, you (guys) have no chance at a gold medal. I ain't goin' 0 for 2, homie."
User avatar
LkrsOvrMia

 
Posts: 3355
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:47 am
Location: "Sittin' on top of the world with my legs hanging free." -Dave Matthews

Postby Heir on Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:19 pm

LkrsOvrMia wrote:
klavier84 wrote:NBA should hire people to EDUCATE these athletes when they come into the league


He's an adult. :bang:

Seriously, this is why Stern wants to raise the age minimum again.
President of Royal Freshness Entertainment

Yes We Can
User avatar
Heir

 
Posts: 2318
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:19 pm
Location: In a Galaxy far, far away

Postby karacha on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:12 pm

Auto theft... NBA player... what's wrong with these guys? :man3:

If I had the money they receive for 2-3 years of playing, I'd be rich right now, without lifting a finger or actually going to work every day. Stealing cars would definitely not be one of the things I would be doing.

So, my only comment is this: :bang: :bang: :bang: .
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
User avatar
karacha
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 37471
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:20 pm

Postby klavier84 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:26 pm

LkrsOvrMia wrote:
klavier84 wrote:NBA should hire people to EDUCATE these athletes when they come into the league


He's an adult. :bang:


It's harder to change when you're an adult when you've been raised this way your entire life... you obviously have no clue how people live in some of the poor areas... just because you were lucky enough to receive solid education in a safe environment, that doesn't mean that everyone else are in the same position as you are. Many of these talented athletes come from difficult backgrounds with no money and no education... these guys come into the league and they get MILLIONS dropped on their lap... haven't you heard a saying "easy come easy go"???
User avatar
klavier84

 
Posts: 998
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:39 am
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Postby Shadow on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:58 pm

Do they really need a education for this? To me its common sense. If I were to become a millionaire tomorrow how would I invested?

I would buy a house in a nice neighborhood, a car and pay my utility bills, thats all I need. Some players think that just because they are millionaires they can buy huge mansions, private planes, 20 cars, 4 motorcycles, etc, etc. Just to see it all gone at the end. It doesnt take a genius to realise that you must buy only the necessary things instead of going overboard. Had he done that maybe he wouldn't be at this position.
User avatar
Shadow

 
Posts: 8705
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:07 am

Postby Basketball Fan on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:08 pm

klavier84 wrote:NBA should hire people to EDUCATE these athletes when they come into the league... so they learn to take care of themselves in all facets of life... especially in regards to dealing with money and how to keep the money in the pocket, so they don't have to go bankrupt right after their retirement. So many of these gifted athletes comes from a difficult background with no decent upbringing. I feel sorry for them... Isiah Rider... man... the man who pulled the East Bay Funk Dunk... I was so excited when he joined us in 2001.




They already do what do you think that Rookie Symposium they have for Rookies is for.. granted it may not have been around when Isiah Rider was a Rookie but it exists. That being said he has nobody to blame but himself for any of this. This is why its important to surround yourself with people you can trust and will set you straight.

I mean LeBron came from bad circumstances but you don't see him doing this crap.
Basketball Fan

 
Posts: 11451
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:45 am

Postby Basketball Fan on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:10 pm

Heir wrote:
LkrsOvrMia wrote:
klavier84 wrote:NBA should hire people to EDUCATE these athletes when they come into the league


He's an adult. :bang:

Seriously, this is why Stern wants to raise the age minimum again.



Partly true the other part is colleges begging for such a thing to happen.
Basketball Fan

 
Posts: 11451
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:45 am

Postby klavier84 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:36 pm

Basketball Fan wrote:
klavier84 wrote:NBA should hire people to EDUCATE these athletes when they come into the league... so they learn to take care of themselves in all facets of life... especially in regards to dealing with money and how to keep the money in the pocket, so they don't have to go bankrupt right after their retirement. So many of these gifted athletes comes from a difficult background with no decent upbringing. I feel sorry for them... Isiah Rider... man... the man who pulled the East Bay Funk Dunk... I was so excited when he joined us in 2001.




They already do what do you think that Rookie Symposium they have for Rookies is for.. granted it may not have been around when Isiah Rider was a Rookie but it exists. That being said he has nobody to blame but himself for any of this. This is why its important to surround yourself with people you can trust and will set you straight.

I mean LeBron came from bad circumstances but you don't see him doing this crap.


I disagree. Yes to a certain extent you are responsible for your actions--well duh. I'm not saying what Isiah did was right or forgivable. But if he grew up in a privileged neighborhood with educated parents who raised him right from the moment he was born, I highly doubt he'd be broke right now breaking into cars... of course I'm not saying that Isiah's parents are stupid or that he came from a poor upbringing (though the evidence suggest to otherwise)... I don't know his background because I only know him as an NBA athlete... but I can't help but to think that most of these guys are really clueless when it comes to all things outside of basketball. You can blame him all you want, but you gotta think about the circumstances they are... I bet if you were in his situation, you wouldn't be all that different...

and don't bring Lebron into this... have you seen his mama? She follows him around like his own shadow... I bet she was there to see him lose his virginity... I mean dayum, she is EVERYWHERE.

I certainly don't remember seeing JR Rider's mom in the stands...
User avatar
klavier84

 
Posts: 998
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:39 am
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Postby Basketball Fan on Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:11 am

klavier84 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
klavier84 wrote:NBA should hire people to EDUCATE these athletes when they come into the league... so they learn to take care of themselves in all facets of life... especially in regards to dealing with money and how to keep the money in the pocket, so they don't have to go bankrupt right after their retirement. So many of these gifted athletes comes from a difficult background with no decent upbringing. I feel sorry for them... Isiah Rider... man... the man who pulled the East Bay Funk Dunk... I was so excited when he joined us in 2001.




They already do what do you think that Rookie Symposium they have for Rookies is for.. granted it may not have been around when Isiah Rider was a Rookie but it exists. That being said he has nobody to blame but himself for any of this. This is why its important to surround yourself with people you can trust and will set you straight.

I mean LeBron came from bad circumstances but you don't see him doing this crap.


I disagree. Yes to a certain extent you are responsible for your actions--well duh. I'm not saying what Isiah did was right or forgivable. But if he grew up in a privileged neighborhood with educated parents who raised him right from the moment he was born, I highly doubt he'd be broke right now breaking into cars... of course I'm not saying that Isiah's parents are stupid or that he came from a poor upbringing (though the evidence suggest to otherwise)... I don't know his background because I only know him as an NBA athlete... but I can't help but to think that most of these guys are really clueless when it comes to all things outside of basketball. You can blame him all you want, but you gotta think about the circumstances they are... I bet if you were in his situation, you wouldn't be all that different...

and don't bring Lebron into this... have you seen his mama? She follows him around like his own shadow... I bet she was there to see him lose his virginity... I mean dayum, she is EVERYWHERE.

I certainly don't remember seeing JR Rider's mom in the stands...




I haven't forgotten LeBron's mom although one wonders why she never bought a chastity belt for him goodness knows I doubt she was thrilled to find out she has two grandkids she has to share LeBron's fortune with.
Basketball Fan

 
Posts: 11451
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:45 am

Postby PnOySneakerBoi24 on Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:39 am

Heir wrote:
LkrsOvrMia wrote:
klavier84 wrote:NBA should hire people to EDUCATE these athletes when they come into the league


He's an adult. :bang:

Seriously, this is why Stern wants to raise the age minimum again.


yup
Image
User avatar
PnOySneakerBoi24

 
Posts: 1174
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:41 pm
Location: Walnut

Postby klavier84 on Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:12 am

Basketball Fan wrote:
klavier84 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
klavier84 wrote:NBA should hire people to EDUCATE these athletes when they come into the league... so they learn to take care of themselves in all facets of life... especially in regards to dealing with money and how to keep the money in the pocket, so they don't have to go bankrupt right after their retirement. So many of these gifted athletes comes from a difficult background with no decent upbringing. I feel sorry for them... Isiah Rider... man... the man who pulled the East Bay Funk Dunk... I was so excited when he joined us in 2001.




They already do what do you think that Rookie Symposium they have for Rookies is for.. granted it may not have been around when Isiah Rider was a Rookie but it exists. That being said he has nobody to blame but himself for any of this. This is why its important to surround yourself with people you can trust and will set you straight.

I mean LeBron came from bad circumstances but you don't see him doing this crap.


I disagree. Yes to a certain extent you are responsible for your actions--well duh. I'm not saying what Isiah did was right or forgivable. But if he grew up in a privileged neighborhood with educated parents who raised him right from the moment he was born, I highly doubt he'd be broke right now breaking into cars... of course I'm not saying that Isiah's parents are stupid or that he came from a poor upbringing (though the evidence suggest to otherwise)... I don't know his background because I only know him as an NBA athlete... but I can't help but to think that most of these guys are really clueless when it comes to all things outside of basketball. You can blame him all you want, but you gotta think about the circumstances they are... I bet if you were in his situation, you wouldn't be all that different...

and don't bring Lebron into this... have you seen his mama? She follows him around like his own shadow... I bet she was there to see him lose his virginity... I mean dayum, she is EVERYWHERE.

I certainly don't remember seeing JR Rider's mom in the stands...




I haven't forgotten LeBron's mom although one wonders why she never bought a chastity belt for him goodness knows I doubt she was thrilled to find out she has two grandkids she has to share LeBron's fortune with.


lol... you make a good point there...
User avatar
klavier84

 
Posts: 998
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:39 am
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Postby grego on Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:19 pm

What a waste of so much talent.
User avatar
grego
Clublakers Rep: Spurs
 
Posts: 10481
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:19 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby strikemode14 on Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:12 pm

Shadow wrote:Do they really need a education for this? To me its common sense. If I were to become a millionaire tomorrow how would I invested?

I would buy a house in a nice neighborhood, a car and pay my utility bills, thats all I need. Some players think that just because they are millionaires they can buy huge mansions, private planes, 20 cars, 4 motorcycles, etc, etc. Just to see it all gone at the end. It doesnt take a genius to realise that you must buy only the necessary things instead of going overboard. Had he done that maybe he wouldn't be at this position.


People who don't have millions and don't have a quality education spend it like water. People have millions spend on cars, on rides, houses, hook up their families and friends and then one day poof it's gone.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou


]
User avatar
strikemode14
Forum Manager
 
Posts: 22101
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:04 pm
Location: savannah

Postby whatisit on Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:33 pm

PnOySneakerBoi24 wrote:
Heir wrote:
LkrsOvrMia wrote:
klavier84 wrote:NBA should hire people to EDUCATE these athletes when they come into the league


He's an adult. :bang:

Seriously, this is why Stern wants to raise the age minimum again.


yup


:man3: he came in at 22, if anything this just proves the opposite
User avatar
whatisit

 
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: North Carolina

Postby CrazyLikeCatfish on Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:30 pm

Again? He was such a solid player when in the league, but nowadays this is the only time we hear of him..
User avatar
CrazyLikeCatfish

 
Posts: 8685
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:16 am
Location: Southern Cali

Postby TheGoat on Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:46 am

At this point with him, I wouldn't be surprised to flip open the Newspaper and see a picture of him with the word "DEAD" under it. Its sad, but he's one of those guys that wouldn't shock you if he got killed or something.
"After slamming in an alley-oop as the Suns center(Amare Stoudemire) clung helplessly to his arm, Bynum hopped around like he was on a pogo stick, grinning and nodding in a 'Who’s the man-child now?' sort of way" -Chris Broussard of espn.
User avatar
TheGoat

 
Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:14 pm
Location: whispering orders into Kupchak's ear "Do it Mitch!"

Postby Najim on Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:08 am

klavier84 wrote:NBA should hire people to EDUCATE these athletes when they come into the league... so they learn to take care of themselves in all facets of life... especially in regards to dealing with money and how to keep the money in the pocket, so they don't have to go bankrupt right after their retirement. So many of these gifted athletes comes from a difficult background with no decent upbringing. I feel sorry for them... Isiah Rider... man... the man who pulled the East Bay Funk Dunk... I was so excited when he joined us in 2001.


I agree 99% with you. The only difference is that I would put the responsibility of coordinating these kinds of fiscal responsibility trainings no the NBA Players Union. They represent the interests of the players and as a union, you need to take responsibility for these guys futures after retirement.
The Last Stand Has Begun...
User avatar
Najim

 
Posts: 1264
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:39 pm

Postby klavier84 on Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:30 am

well i was certainly counting in the players union as part of "the league"...

doesn't matter who does this, as long as it is done.
User avatar
klavier84

 
Posts: 998
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:39 am
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Postby Chicano on Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:24 pm

Classic Chick moment regarding Mr. Rider:

I'll never forget one game, when he was a part of our team, him and Gump were both wearing some purple headbands I guess, and as the camera zoomed in on both of them side by side, Chick just suddenly says, "Look at these idiots. They look stupid. Ahahahaa" & he laughs just like that right after he says it pretty much. Stu just stays kinda quiet since it's kinda awkward, and Chick is just havin' a blast.

RIP Chick.
Chicano

 

Postby Congo Cash on Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:46 pm

TheGoat wrote:At this point with him, I wouldn't be surprised to flip open the Newspaper and see a picture of him with the word "DEAD" under it. Its sad, but he's one of those guys that wouldn't shock you if he got killed or something.
I will not be shocked either... Shawn Kemp is a saint compared to him...
- insert signature here -
User avatar
Congo Cash

 
Posts: 4533
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:58 am
Location: Philippines

Postby Lakeshow24 on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:01 pm

klavier84 wrote:NBA should hire people to EDUCATE these athletes when they come into the league... so they learn to take care of themselves in all facets of life... especially in regards to dealing with money and how to keep the money in the pocket, so they don't have to go bankrupt right after their retirement. So many of these gifted athletes comes from a difficult background with no decent upbringing. I feel sorry for them... Isiah Rider... man... the man who pulled the East Bay Funk Dunk... I was so excited when he joined us in 2001.


Let's be easy here. Sure, Isaiah Rider is a knucklehead. But we have them in ALL facets of life. You can pluck a random guy at any job, any company, and there's always going to be a fool who just misses out on life out of personal problems.

I think he has more of a mental disability that has gone undiagnosed, than anything else. The guy clearly had NBA Hall of Fame talent, and for whatever reason he preferred freebasing on corners, selling illegal cell phones, spitting on fans, and imitating pimps by smacking women.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
Image
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
User avatar
Lakeshow24

 
Posts: 4635
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:50 pm


Return to NBA Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.