Fortson in danger after messing with Cabarkapa

Fortson in danger after messing with Cabarkapa

Postby rydjorker121 on Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:05 pm

:man6: :man6: :man6: Why did this have to happen to someone with a lot of potential, so young, so fearless, so mean?

According to published reports, Cabarkapa was about throw down a heavy one-handed dunk, but Fortson stepped in the way 'cuz he didn't want to be posturized, so he pushed him back with two hands and Cabarkapa recoiled and broke his wrist. It was like a Flagrant Foul 7, he shoulda went to jail for that. Cabarkapa's like out for 6-8 weeks after filling in brilliantly for Shawn Marion.

On a side note, Phoenix blew out Dallas by 31...121-90.....

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/cabarkapa_031126.html

look, the Suns don't like Fortson either, calling him a "thug."

Zark was even crying...

“I thought it was terrible,� said guard Penny Hardaway. “I don’t think Danny tried to hurt him, but he didn’t want to get dunked on. I think he kind of lost focus on Z being as high as he was and pushed him, and he lost his balance… But it’s bad to push somebody while they’re airborne.�

“That was just a flat-out dirty freaking play,� said Johnson. “Absolutely thuggish. He should be suspended for the rest of the year.�

Your comments on this situation?
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:21 pm

I saw it and the push was [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]. I think Fortson should not only be fined, but should miss as much time as Zack. If you see the play, you'll understand why I think that :disagree:

Pushing someone airborn is the most dangerous thing you can do to someone... :man7: :man2: :man7:
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Kobe834 on Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:22 pm

Associated Press: PHOENIX (AP) Phoenix rookie Zarko Cabarkapa broke his right wrist Wednesday night after he was pushed by Dallas' Danny Fortson while driving to the basket with less than three minutes remaining in the Suns' 121-90 victory.

The Serbian forward is expected to be sidelined six to eight weeks.

Fortson was called for a flagrant foul on the play, and Suns owner Jerry Colangelo said he will ask the NBA to fine or suspend the Dallas player.

``Whether it's a fine or a suspension, it's not enough for him,'' Colangelo said. ``He should be put down for every day that he (Cabarkapa) is out. I'll do everything in my power to see that happens. With the game over, there was no need for that.''

The injury came with 2:58 left and the Suns leading 112-88.

``He's a thug,'' Colangelo said.

Before leaving, Fortson said he apologized to Cabarkapa.

``I had no evil intent,'' he said.

Cabarkapa was in tears in the Suns' dressing room, but later composed himself and said through a translator, ``I can't comprehend it. I don't know exactly what happened. I just know I was trying to drive to the basket and Fortson pushed me.''
Kobe834

Postby Kobe834 on Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:24 pm

Man, I really thoght that Cabarkapa was a great player, and to be sidelined by a bull [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] move was totally stupid on Fortsons part.
Kobe834

Postby Guest on Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:55 pm

Anyone remember the 80's?

Bil Lambier, Rick Mahorn, Karl Malone, Isiah Thomas, Dennis Rodman.

Karl Malone literally slapped Isiah and gave him 80 stitches and nothing big was thought of it. Fortson pushed Z out of the way and Z tried to land on his butt, putting his wrist under his butt he broke it. It was Fortson's foult for pushing, but Z broke his own wrist.

I think that's the attitude the Mavs need in the post, they need that "no one's gonna get a free dunk" attitude. People are just going off on Fortson cause it hasn't been done in a while and it was so blatant.

Postby rydjorker121 on Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:19 pm

Posto wrote:Anyone remember the 80's?

Bil Lambier, Rick Mahorn, Karl Malone, Isiah Thomas, Dennis Rodman.

Karl Malone literally slapped Isiah and gave him 80 stitches and nothing big was thought of it. Fortson pushed Z out of the way and Z tried to land on his butt, putting his wrist under his butt he broke it. It was Fortson's foult for pushing, but Z broke his own wrist.

I think that's the attitude the Mavs need in the post, they need that "no one's gonna get a free dunk" attitude. People are just going off on Fortson cause it hasn't been done in a while and it was so blatant.

hmmm....thats wistful thinking dogg....Z might have broken his own wrist after all, and if the Mavs have this tough-nosed guys they can see it to their advantage..but still I wouldn't be surprised if Fortson has to pay a huge price for the "damage" he has caused.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby Guest on Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:22 pm

Oh he will, but it'll scare other players from going down the lane on Fortson, that's for sure..

I hate Fortson but it could be a good thing for the Mavs.

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:31 pm

OMG... I didnt even see this at all... How sad... Man.. :man5:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:48 pm

Posto wrote:Oh he will, but it'll scare other players from going down the lane on Fortson, that's for sure..

I hate Fortson but it could be a good thing for the Mavs.
\

bro tha play happened with 2:58 left in tha freakin game! it wasnt close at all! if u think THATS what tha mavs need u are absolutely wrong, if this was a CLOSE game then i would understand! fortson should be thrown outta tha NBA for that, i saw tha play and i KNOW what is severe and what is not...that was TOTALLY intentional...are any of tha suns/mavs games televised thsi year? cuz i cant wait for tha next game...
FabFourLakers

Postby rydjorker121 on Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:03 pm

BREAKING NEWS guys:

Danny Fortson has been suspended three games for the incident:

NEW YORK, Nov. 28 – Dallas Mavericks forward Danny Fortson has been suspended three games without pay for a flagrant foul, penalty two on Phoenix Suns forward Zarko Cabarkapa, it was announced Friday by Stu Jackson, NBA Senior Vice President, Basketball Operations.
The incident occurred with 2:58 remaining in the fourth quarter of the Mavericks' 121-90 loss to the Phoenix Suns on Nov. 26 at America West Arena. Fortson was ejected from the game after the flagrant foul, penalty two was called.

Fortson will miss Dallas' next three games: Nov. 28 at Denver, Nov. 29 vs. Minnesota and Dec. 2 vs. Washington.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:44 am

only 3 games for THAT?

u gotta be kidding me...
FabFourLakers

Postby Guest on Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:52 am

oh everyone just shut the hell up.

Has anyone ever watched football? He should be thrown out of the NBA for shoving a player that was airborne going straight at him.

You guys need a tampon and quick.

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:04 am

In the NBA that's unacceptable.. In Football they have padding and helmets, and they play on grass or on turf... This was on hardwood, no padding, no nothing... Fortson intentionally threw Carbakaba down while he was in the middle of a dunk. If a defender was to do this in football without letting him land, he'll get somethin like an unsportsman like conduct, or some kinda penalty against him.

He shoulda got suspended more games than that.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:25 am

that type of SHlT could have happened to one of our players.... KOBE/PAYTON/GEORGE... I'm sure you would be furious if it happened to one of those guys. The NBA should have been harder to deter from SHlT like that from happening again. I guess I would not object if it had happened to K-MART or Jefferson.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby JSM on Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:26 am

Alright...hold up, he got suspended for 3 game...that's all they are going to give Fortson. This will make players think they can do this type stuff whenever they want, use one of your 3rd stringers that never play, put them in and get them to push your star player and make them miss a couple months, and that 3rd stringer will only miss about a week. You got to be kidding me.

I saw this play, it was totally uncalled for, it was a blowout game, and he just pushes him for no reason, except "oh I don’t want to be on some poster"...Fortson should sit out every single game that Zarko has to sit out and not be paid for that period either.

I hope that when he gets healthy, they play again and I hope Zarko "accidentally" makes Fortson miss the rest of the year.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:07 pm

jsm0331 wrote:Alright...hold up, he got suspended for 3 game...that's all they are going to give Fortson. This will make players think they can do this type stuff whenever they want, use one of your 3rd stringers that never play, put them in and get them to push your star player and make them miss a couple months, and that 3rd stringer will only miss about a week. You got to be kidding me.

I saw this play, it was totally uncalled for, it was a blowout game, and he just pushes him for no reason, except "oh I don’t want to be on some poster"...Fortson should sit out every single game that Zarko has to sit out and not be paid for that period either.

I hope that when he gets healthy, they play again and I hope Zarko "accidentally" makes Fortson miss the rest of the year.

You take tha words outta my mouth! I would HATE to see this happen to any of our players! I thought tha suns managament was gonna do somethin about this!
FabFourLakers

Postby JSM on Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:15 pm

even Don Nelson said they don't support that type of action and that he was going to do something about it...3 games isn't something, 3 games is a joke
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Guest on Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:22 pm

The kid broke his own wrist by deciding to land on it instead of his [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]. I've seen this play 30 times and I saw Fortson turn around and Z was way airborne going right at him, so just as a humanly response to someone flying at you he pushed him. He didn't even push him hard. He didn't throw him down. He put two hands on the guys stomache and pushed him out of the lane, Z just landed on his wrist the wrong way. And if it would have happened to George, Kobe, Malone, Payton. Then you can bet there's a Malone elbow in somebody's eye. Get off the issue already.

Someone had to play devils advocate.

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:21 pm

Posto wrote:The kid broke his own wrist by deciding to land on it instead of his [censored]

How can someone decide to land a certain way. No one can control their body when they're thrown off balance in mid air. That's how injuries occur. Fortson intentionally did this, and last year when Fox and Christie got into it, they suspended Fox for 6 FREAKIN GAMES... And he didn't even INJURE Doug... This isn't even right.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Guest on Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:45 pm

It was Fortson's fault for pushing Z, but it was not his fault for him breaking his wrist. It's somewhat his fault because he was the one to push him but that's just the way the ball bounced. Colangelo is known to open his mouth when it's not supposed to be open, he talks way too much and the only reason Fortson got suspended was because Colangelo probably hounded the NBA offices.

Don't get me wrong I don't like Fortson but the Mavs need some aggresive players and especially at the big man position. If only Fortson would play that aggresive on the boards it would be cool.

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:50 pm

Posto wrote:It was Fortson's fault for pushing Z, but it was not his fault for him breaking his wrist. It's somewhat his fault because he was the one to push him but that's just the way the ball bounced. Colangelo is known to open his mouth when it's not supposed to be open, he talks way too much and the only reason Fortson got suspended was because Colangelo probably hounded the NBA offices.

Don't get me wrong I don't like Fortson but the Mavs need some aggresive players and especially at the big man position. If only Fortson would play that aggresive on the boards it would be cool.

well u see if fortson never pushed him, he woulda never broke his wrist...so technically it WAS fortson's fault for him breakin his wrist!
FabFourLakers

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:59 pm

Thank you.. Fortson initiated Carbakapa for breakin his wrist. It has nothing to do with the way he landed and how u think that he could have forced his body to land differently. :man5:
LakersGyrl2003

Return to NBA Discussion