Funny or cool nicknames of current & former NBA players

Funny or cool nicknames of current & former NBA players

Postby mo' betta blue on Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:12 pm

Hey fellow laker fans! I'm a first time poster but a long time reader of clublakers topics (last 2 months). I read some great comments & observations about the lakers,the nba,games,and players. I've heard of some cool, funny, or unusual nicknames of players from the past 15 years. Add any nicknames to the list. Nicknames must be real though, not made up.
Charles Barkley- aka "the Round Mound of Rebounds", a lot better than "Sir Charles". Because he can rebound and of his physique :scream:
Dominique Wilkins- aka " the Human Highlight Film". Spectacular finishing moves!
Dennis Rodman- aka "the Worm"

Does anyone know any Laker nicknames?
mo' betta blue

Postby BDG on Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:29 pm

Welcome to the site!

Laker (former and current) nicknames:

Sedale Threatt - "The Thief"
Elden Campbell - "Soup"
Earvin Johnson - "Magic" (duh)
James Worthy - "Big Game James"
Shaquille O'Neal - Shaq, Shaq Attaq, Diesel, Big Aristotle... etc.
Gary Payton - "The Glove"
Karl Malone - "The Mailman"
Anthony Miller - "Pig"
Nick Van Exel - "Nick The Quick"
Mark Madsen - "Mad Dog"
Jerry West - "Mr. Logo"

I know there's more...
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby JSM on Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:00 pm

Rodman-the worm
Patterson-Kobe stopper :man10:
Wilt-Wilt the Stilt
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:03 pm

Horry-big shot Rob
Fisher-Mop
McCoy-Big Lon, J-Mac
Richmond-The Rock
JSM

Postby BDG on Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:21 pm

Didn't Jerome Kersey have a nickname?
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby mo' betta blue on Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:29 pm

Thanks for the welcome, BryantDunkGiant. I've heard most of the Lakers' nicknames you've mentioned. I never heard of "Soup" for Elden. Although, it's clear where he got it from (last name), not of his style of play "soft as soup". I remember the knock on Elden when he was rookie something similar to Brian Cook. Questionable intensity. The opposite of Mad Dog Madsen. I remember "Pig" Anthony Miller play in the early 90's. He got his cruel nickname because of his unusual looking face. He played hard in the few minutes on court.

Add "Mr. Clutch" to Jerry West's nickname list. Does any body know Phil Jackson's nickname when he was Knicks' player. I don't think it was "Zen Master" at that time
How about nicknames for larry bird, ex-lakers mike smrek, ac green, byron scott,mychal thompson, and other nba players?
mo' betta blue

Postby rydjorker121 on Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:42 pm

Fred Hoiberg--the Mayor
Bryant Reeves--Big Country
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby mv_ix on Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:04 pm

i wanted to be the iceman (george gervin) everytime i stepped ont he court win i was a kid, be the all time best nickname is Lloyd "World Be" Free :man1:
mv_ix

Postby ZenMaster on Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:17 pm

...or how about Earl "The Pearl" Monroe?...and let us not forget, of course, The Doctor, Julius Erving... :jam2:

(Can't remember Jerome Kersey's nickname, tho, BDG...but I KNOW he had one)...
ZenMaster

Postby LakerFanFor16Years on Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:51 pm

Stephen Jackson- DUCK!!!!!!!!

LeBron James- DUCK #2!!!!!!!
LakerFanFor16Years

Postby Roscoe on Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:33 pm

I like Popeye Jones' nickname, Shrek...

"Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Roscoe
ClubLakers O.G.

Postby mo' betta blue on Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:16 pm

"Pistol Pete" Maravich- known for his fancy passing and ballhandling.
Jason "Twin" Collins- has identical twin, Jarrod Collins.
Kurt "Superman" Rambis- I think this was a real nickname. Or was it "Clark Kent".

Regarding the team nickname "Lakers", what exactly is a laker? I always wonder. It's something to do with being once known as the Minneapolis Lakers. Minnesota as the land of lakes. According to my Webster dictionary, a laker is either a fish, as the lake trout, living in a lake or a ship used on lakes. A perfect fit for Derek "D-fish" Fisher being a Laker. :mhihi:
mo' betta blue

Postby Guest on Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:02 pm

jsm0331 wrote:Rodman-the worm
Patterson-Kobe stopper :man10:
Wilt-Wilt the Stilt

Patterson - SELF PROCLAIM kobe stopper

Postby Guest on Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:03 pm

LakerFanFor16Years wrote:Stephen Jackson- DUCK!!!!!!!!

LeBron James- DUCK #2!!!!!!!

LOL :man10:

Postby mo' betta blue on Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:53 pm

I cant remember Jerome Kersey's nickname. It sounded cool if I remember. Was it "Cadillac"? Or something to do with a car. Anyways, I picked up more nicknames from a web site.

Kevin Garnett- "The Big Ticket"
Chuck Person- "Rifleman", he was once known as a sharp shooting player for the Pacers. Nickname may also be related to Chuck Connors from the Rifleman tv series
Stacey Augmon- "Plasticman", he has the physique for it
Sam Perkins- "Big Smooth", ex-laker with a wide wingspan
Robert Traylor-"Tractor Trailer", a big and slow F/C. Once heralded as a match for Shaq in terms of size.
Trajan Langdon-"Alaskan Assassin", he was a college standout (Kansas?) about several seasons ago. What happen to him?
Darryl Dawkins-"Chocolate Thunder", a long retired player who was a real character during his playing days
mo' betta blue

Postby JSM on Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:11 pm

Vince Carter-Vinsanity
Anfernee Hardaway-Penny
Ben Wallace-Big Ben
Richard Hamilton-Rip
Stephon Marbury-Starbury
Allen Iverson-the Answer
Kenyon Martin-K-Mart
Dikembe Mutombo-Deke
Alonzo Mourning-Zo
Michael Olowokandi-Kandi Man
Eric Piatkowski-Pike
Paul Pierce-The Truth
Glenn Robinson-Big Dog
Latrell Sprewell-Spree

Some of those are shortened versions of their name, but that's the closest thing they got
JSM

Postby Danny Ainge on Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:01 pm

mo' betta blue wrote:I cant remember Jerome Kersey's nickname. It sounded cool if I remember. Was it "Cadillac"? Or something to do with a car. Anyways, I picked up more nicknames from a web site.

Kevin Garnett- "The Big Ticket"
Chuck Person- "Rifleman", he was once known as a sharp shooting player for the Pacers. Nickname may also be related to Chuck Connors from the Rifleman tv series
Stacey Augmon- "Plasticman", he has the physique for it
Sam Perkins- "Big Smooth", ex-laker with a wide wingspan
Robert Traylor-"Tractor Trailer", a big and slow F/C. Once heralded as a match for Shaq in terms of size.
Trajan Langdon-"Alaskan Assassin", he was a college standout (Kansas?) about several seasons ago. What happen to him?
Darryl Dawkins-"Chocolate Thunder", a long retired player who was a real character during his playing days

To answer your question, Langdon went to Duke and though drafted by the Cavs ended up going to Europe playing on a team with former Bruin bust Tyus Edney.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby mo' betta blue on Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:07 pm

You're right about the college for Trajan. Thanks for the correction, DA. It's tough for great college players to stay in the NBA. That's why it's so amazing that raw but talented high schoolers Garnett, Kobe,Amare have become NBA stars. It's a big leap from being a big kid to the pros. A few more unique nicknames.
Eric "Sleepy" Floyd- a long retired small guard for the GS Warriors. His face has a sleepy expression. It does have its advantages mainly lulling defenders to sleep.
Larry "Grandmama" Johnson- ex-Hornets/Knicks power forward. Got his name from nis shoe commercials, dressing up like a grandma. Very disturbing commercials.
Shawn "Rainman" Kemp- got his nickname maybe because he played for rainy Seattle. Or maybe because he was a high flying dunker during his younger days.
mo' betta blue

Postby mv_ix on Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:29 pm

also john "spiderman" salley, sherman " the general" douglas, another one for jerry west is "zeke from cabin creek", one for jason kidd early in his career was "ason" because he had no J (jumper). there is "downtown freddie brown" he could shot from anywhere, shot way beyond the now three point line.

also, have to somewhat disagree with the rev d.a., tyus edney for calling him a bust, he may not have played many years in the nba, but he did lead UCLA to a national championship. :man1:
mv_ix

Postby rydjorker121 on Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:37 pm

Trajan Langdon. THE END OF A COLLEGE STANDOUT....written by J.R. Dawkins, 9271 Abernathy Road, Erie, Pennsylvania, please visit and give us a call for more details on this story.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby mo' betta blue on Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:00 pm

jsm0331 mentioned Vince Carter aka "Vinsanity". This is the first time I've heard of it. Also, mentioned Kenyon Martin aka K-Mart. He should be the tv commercial spokesperson for KMART stores in New Jersey. Just a thought.
mv ix mentioned a few interesting ones like Jerry West aka "Zeke from the Creek" and Jason Kidd aka "Ason". Both nicknames are news to me. Jerry is from the backcountry of West Virginia I believe. Kidd is a great ballhandler but not a shooter.
Add a few more nicknames.
Vinnie "The Microwave" Johnson- a former Pistons player from the Bad Boys era.
Robert "The Chief" Parrish- a former Celtics center/long career/came from a small college.
Gary "The General" Grant- a guard who played for the Clippers once. During the early '90s, he played head to head against Sherman "The General" Douglas (as mentioned by mv ix) on a few games. The Union side were well represented.
mo' betta blue

Postby Roscoe on Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:17 pm

"Big Shot" Rob - Robert Horry

"Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Roscoe
ClubLakers O.G.

Postby mv_ix on Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:20 pm

duh, i can't believe no one has said "silk" jamaal wilkes
mv_ix

Postby huH? on Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:48 pm

"Floppy" Divac
huH?

Postby mv_ix on Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:36 am

you can ad the "BIG O" oscar robertson, the only man to average a triple double for a full season... also i don't know if bill russell had a nickname but he can be called "goldfingers" for all of the gold championship rings on his fingers.
mv_ix

Next

Return to NBA Discussion