George Karl fired!

George Karl fired!

Postby Shadow on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:03 am

NBA Coach of the Year George Karl won't return to the Denver Nuggets next season, team president Josh Kroenke confirmed in an email to The Associated Press.

Karl, who is in the final year of his contract, wanted to extend his deal but the Nuggets balked at the request, Yahoo! Sports reported, citing a league source.

NBA coaching sources told ESPN.com that the Memphis Grizzlies -- who are still deciding whether or not to bring back Lionel Hollins -- will definitely discuss their job with Karl now that he's available.

Source: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/93485 ... arl-report
Shadow

Re: George Karl fired!

Postby John3:16 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:19 am

Wow! I'll go first. Do it Mitch!
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:21 am

John3:16 wrote:Wow! I'll go first. Do it Mitch!

+1!! :jam2:

Karl is infinitely better than Run MDA.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:33 am

please please please please
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:43 am

I'll pass. Karl isn't that great. He has the respect of his teams, but that's not enough.

Good guy though. He'll end up coaching the Clippers.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:00 am

LOL... So people hate Mike D so much that they think that No D Karl is better? They are the same coach. They need young horses in their stable not old stags we have
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:44 am

just like that Denver is back in the abyss...losing their ace front office guy and now their coach, nba's best last season. :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:28 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:LOL... So people hate Mike D so much that they think that No D Karl is better? They are the same coach. They need young horses in their stable not old stags we have

like RD said, puff...at least he can command his team's respect..it's a lot more than what MDA can offer
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:40 am

Well escalated fast.... First their Great GM and now your coach. Don't win awards in Denver or else you'll likely get fired or move along
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:40 am

pound4pound1 wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:LOL... So people hate Mike D so much that they think that No D Karl is better? They are the same coach. They need young horses in their stable not old stags we have

like RD said, puff...at least he can command his team's respect..it's a lot more than what MDA can offer

But he presents all the same problems as MDA. They're not terribly different coaches. Karl just happens to be more respected.

Hiring Karl would be just another mistake in a growing line of coaching errors.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:41 am

This is where i have to SERIOUSLY question whether some of you ONLY watch the Lakers or legitimately watch every NBA team. Let's go through some of the reasons why Karl is the most overrated coach in the league:

1. He has a losing playoff record. He was the first coach to be a #1 seed and get upset by an #8 seed. Go figure. He also had one of the most talented nuggets squads EVER, yet he gets eliminated in the first round, AGAIN. Oh and that's now 8 out of 9 seasons where he saw a first round exit.

2. He loves to play 2 guard lineups that absolutely kill any momentum they built on D. Over the years, his love for guys like Anthony Carter and Andre Miller was SICKENING, and his HATRED for players like JR Smith (now balling out in NYK and got 6th man of the year) and JAVALE MCGEE (didn't play him ALL YEAR and then expected him to be a difference maker in game 5 of a series that was already lost) was always unwarranted and he never tries to develop these guys. Instead, he feeds into the media opinion on why these guys don't get PT..."because they're dumb".

3. He sets the bar extremely low. Any knowledgeable NBA fan would have told you that based on the roster the nuggets had, they were easily a top 4 team in the West coming into this year. Karl? He didn't set that expectation for the Nuggets. Nuggets FANS didn't think their own team was that good, or that "without a superstar, no way we can be a top 4 team". Unfortunately, thats what Karl does every year. He manages expectations and tells denver media "well actually i thought we played really well given what we have on our team"...that's the general message he gives EVERY year even though fans swear that Melo was the reason they never won anything. Yeah, how's that working out for you now? Still first round exits and still haven't gotten past the first round since he left. Who is really at fault? Melo or Karl? Make up your mind.

4. His refusal to play or develop younger players this year was more than apparent. He chose koufos and miller over McGee and Fournier. I said it all year that you cannot rely on a 36 yr old PG to be your CLOSER at the end of games. Miller ended up hurting the Nuggets more than helping them after hitting that game winning layup. Karl ended up putting him on Stephen Curry who absolutely lit him up, and also didn't play McGee until the series was out of hand and when McGee was in, Curry barely scored or even shot the ball cuz McGee's length bothered him.

5. Karl has NO half court offense. He doesn't teach anything. No defense, and he lets the players just run on offense. He's basically dantoni in that regard.

6. Playing at altitude is very dificult for opposing teams...its been known for years, and the fact that they lost ike 3 games is definitely impressive but misleading. Karl sure as hell wouldn't have won 57 games with any other team in another city because he wouldn't have that altitude to push against other teams.

7. Karl is a terrible playoff coach and cannot make adjustments. And did i mention he has a losing record in the playoffs? (something like 81-107!!!!!)

IF the Lakers fire MDA and hire Karl, i will have OFFICIALLY lost all faith in our management and ownership. Cuz they obviously do not care about what a coach can do or teach...they only care about brand names. I hope to GOD the Clippers hire this idiot instead, and then we can watch the Clippers exit in the first round annually just like the Nuggets have for 8 outta 9 years.

FABFOUR OUT!
FabFourLakers

Postby Avenged24 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:48 am

Pass.. He isn't going to lead the Lakers anywhere. I know Mike is bad but I'd rather continue the Lakers pay him than let him go and pay both coaches. At the end of the day, the Lakers aren't doing squat regardless w/ either of them.

I'd much rather focus on acquiring talent that compliments each other and then the coach will fall in line.
Avenged24

Postby kenzo on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:15 pm

Clippers bound...
kenzo

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:32 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:

commanding respect doesn't get you rings. Karl is Mike D in the aspect that his system is destined for running teams. On top of that he is a regular season winner but not a playoff winner. Thanks to PJax and Pop a great deal of coaches aren't playoff winners. This team would need a guy like Sloan, Pop, PJax etc guys who understand the personnel. I am not the Mike D hater that most fans are but neither one of these guys with their current systems fit this team. Karl is better for Clips and GSW or teams similar.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Thenextgreat on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:02 pm

Good Luck George
Thenextgreat

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:59 pm

i've always liked the man...not sold on the coach though. anything is better than MDA, but...not sure by how much
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby JSM on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:39 pm

From COY to the unemployment line...damn! Denver must hate accolades.

Perfect next coach for the Clipps. Now Shaw and Hollins have another team to compete for in Denver. One will get Brooklyn and the other Denver, unless Memphis decides to get their heads out of their butts.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby LooN3y on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:45 pm

denver acts like any other coach could bring them success with that current line up. lol lionel hollins? yeah right.

with that said why anyone would want him coaching the lakers is beyond me, given his coaching style. the team doesnt have the personnel.
LooN3y

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:25 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:This is where i have to SERIOUSLY question whether some of you ONLY watch the Lakers or legitimately watch every NBA team. Let's go through some of the reasons why Karl is the most overrated coach in the league:

1. He has a losing playoff record. He was the first coach to be a #1 seed and get upset by an #8 seed. Go figure. He also had one of the most talented nuggets squads EVER, yet he gets eliminated in the first round, AGAIN. Oh and that's now 8 out of 9 seasons where he saw a first round exit.

2. He loves to play 2 guard lineups that absolutely kill any momentum they built on D. Over the years, his love for guys like Anthony Carter and Andre Miller was SICKENING, and his HATRED for players like JR Smith (now balling out in NYK and got 6th man of the year) and JAVALE MCGEE (didn't play him ALL YEAR and then expected him to be a difference maker in game 5 of a series that was already lost) was always unwarranted and he never tries to develop these guys. Instead, he feeds into the media opinion on why these guys don't get PT..."because they're dumb".

3. He sets the bar extremely low. Any knowledgeable NBA fan would have told you that based on the roster the nuggets had, they were easily a top 4 team in the West coming into this year. Karl? He didn't set that expectation for the Nuggets. Nuggets FANS didn't think their own team was that good, or that "without a superstar, no way we can be a top 4 team". Unfortunately, thats what Karl does every year. He manages expectations and tells denver media "well actually i thought we played really well given what we have on our team"...that's the general message he gives EVERY year even though fans swear that Melo was the reason they never won anything. Yeah, how's that working out for you now? Still first round exits and still haven't gotten past the first round since he left. Who is really at fault? Melo or Karl? Make up your mind.

4. His refusal to play or develop younger players this year was more than apparent. He chose koufos and miller over McGee and Fournier. I said it all year that you cannot rely on a 36 yr old PG to be your CLOSER at the end of games. Miller ended up hurting the Nuggets more than helping them after hitting that game winning layup. Karl ended up putting him on Stephen Curry who absolutely lit him up, and also didn't play McGee until the series was out of hand and when McGee was in, Curry barely scored or even shot the ball cuz McGee's length bothered him.

5. Karl has NO half court offense. He doesn't teach anything. No defense, and he lets the players just run on offense. He's basically dantoni in that regard.

6. Playing at altitude is very dificult for opposing teams...its been known for years, and the fact that they lost ike 3 games is definitely impressive but misleading. Karl sure as hell wouldn't have won 57 games with any other team in another city because he wouldn't have that altitude to push against other teams.

7. Karl is a terrible playoff coach and cannot make adjustments. And did i mention he has a losing record in the playoffs? (something like 81-107!!!!!)

IF the Lakers fire MDA and hire Karl, i will have OFFICIALLY lost all faith in our management and ownership. Cuz they obviously do not care about what a coach can do or teach...they only care about brand names. I hope to GOD the Clippers hire this idiot instead, and then we can watch the Clippers exit in the first round annually just like the Nuggets have for 8 outta 9 years.

FABFOUR OUT!

I can see where you're coming from but I think Karl overachieves with his teams because frankly they aren't that talented. Also, he modifies his system to suit the talent he has. Contrary to what most believe on CL, Karl is good coach.

How soon we forget how good his Seattle teams were ... the one that made the finals losing the PJax's Bulls. Not one of MDA's teams made it to the finals.

I know the Sonics lost to the Nuggets (1 vs. 8 seed) first time a #1 seed lost to a #8 seed but his teams had sustained successful. He's an above average coach ... good not great.

I am not saying the Lakers should hire him but he is no scrub coach. Hypothetically, I will say if I had to choose between MDA and Karl, I would take Karl.
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

One of the funniest posts I've read in a sports forum:

"Lebron's talents went South, his hair went North, and his mom went West."
Big Mamma Jamma

Postby Weezy on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:31 pm

I'm surprised, but then I'm not. He may have overachieved in the regular season, but you can't keep going out like this in the playoffs and expect to stay there forever if you're Karl. As for taking him in LA, no thanks. I can't stand the guy, never could, especially when he was the Sonics coach, he's also terrible in the playoffs.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:36 pm

Weezy wrote:I'm surprised, but then I'm not. He may have overachieved in the regular season, but you can't keep going out like this in the playoffs and expect to stay there forever if you're Karl. As for taking him in LA, no thanks. I can't stand the guy, never could, especially when he was the Sonics coach, he's also terrible in the playoffs.

Totally agree.

Btw, I wasn't saying the Lakers should hire him, I'm just saying if I had to choose between two coaches I would choose Karl over MDA ... not specifically for any team.
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

One of the funniest posts I've read in a sports forum:

"Lebron's talents went South, his hair went North, and his mom went West."
Big Mamma Jamma

Postby Weezy on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:16 pm

Well yeah, if I HAD to choose one I'd take Karl as well, but I wouldn't fire and still pay 'Antoni in order to hire him. That's like with Mike Brown, end one bad situation and jump right into another.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:34 pm

George Karl is an improvement like leather seats are an improvement over cloth seats but we're still talking about a Nissan Sentra here.

Karl would be great for the Clips. Leave Brian Shaw to us!
JGC

Postby 432J on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:59 pm

let him go to the clippers

great person but an overrated coach. he's never had much playoff success anyways. yeah he took some talented sonics and bucks teams deep into the playoffs but look at how many times he's been bounced in the first or second round with pretty good teams
432J

Postby noobiew on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:16 pm

Please don't compare Karl with D'Antoni, Karl is a much better coach than D'Antoni !

Having say that, I'll pass on him.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Next

Return to NBA Discussion