FabFourLakers wrote:This is where i have to SERIOUSLY question whether some of you ONLY watch the Lakers or legitimately watch every NBA team. Let's go through some of the reasons why Karl is the most overrated coach in the league:
1. He has a losing playoff record. He was the first coach to be a #1 seed and get upset by an #8 seed. Go figure. He also had one of the most talented nuggets squads EVER, yet he gets eliminated in the first round, AGAIN. Oh and that's now 8 out of 9 seasons where he saw a first round exit.
2. He loves to play 2 guard lineups that absolutely kill any momentum they built on D. Over the years, his love for guys like Anthony Carter and Andre Miller was SICKENING, and his HATRED for players like JR Smith (now balling out in NYK and got 6th man of the year) and JAVALE MCGEE (didn't play him ALL YEAR and then expected him to be a difference maker in game 5 of a series that was already lost) was always unwarranted and he never tries to develop these guys. Instead, he feeds into the media opinion on why these guys don't get PT..."because they're dumb".
3. He sets the bar extremely low. Any knowledgeable NBA fan would have told you that based on the roster the nuggets had, they were easily a top 4 team in the West coming into this year. Karl? He didn't set that expectation for the Nuggets. Nuggets FANS didn't think their own team was that good, or that "without a superstar, no way we can be a top 4 team". Unfortunately, thats what Karl does every year. He manages expectations and tells denver media "well actually i thought we played really well given what we have on our team"...that's the general message he gives EVERY year even though fans swear that Melo was the reason they never won anything. Yeah, how's that working out for you now? Still first round exits and still haven't gotten past the first round since he left. Who is really at fault? Melo or Karl? Make up your mind.
4. His refusal to play or develop younger players this year was more than apparent. He chose koufos and miller over McGee and Fournier. I said it all year that you cannot rely on a 36 yr old PG to be your CLOSER at the end of games. Miller ended up hurting the Nuggets more than helping them after hitting that game winning layup. Karl ended up putting him on Stephen Curry who absolutely lit him up, and also didn't play McGee until the series was out of hand and when McGee was in, Curry barely scored or even shot the ball cuz McGee's length bothered him.
5. Karl has NO half court offense. He doesn't teach anything. No defense, and he lets the players just run on offense. He's basically dantoni in that regard.
6. Playing at altitude is very dificult for opposing teams...its been known for years, and the fact that they lost ike 3 games is definitely impressive but misleading. Karl sure as hell wouldn't have won 57 games with any other team in another city because he wouldn't have that altitude to push against other teams.
7. Karl is a terrible playoff coach and cannot make adjustments. And did i mention he has a losing record in the playoffs? (something like 81-107!!!!!)
IF the Lakers fire MDA and hire Karl, i will have OFFICIALLY lost all faith in our management and ownership. Cuz they obviously do not care about what a coach can do or teach...they only care about brand names. I hope to GOD the Clippers hire this idiot instead, and then we can watch the Clippers exit in the first round annually just like the Nuggets have for 8 outta 9 years.
I can see where you're coming from but I think Karl overachieves with his teams because frankly they aren't that talented. Also, he modifies his system to suit the talent he has. Contrary to what most believe on CL, Karl is good coach.
How soon we forget how good his Seattle teams were ... the one that made the finals losing the PJax's Bulls. Not one of MDA's teams made it to the finals.
I know the Sonics lost to the Nuggets (1 vs. 8 seed) first time a #1 seed lost to a #8 seed but his teams had sustained successful. He's an above average coach ... good not great.
I am not saying the Lakers should hire him but he is no scrub coach. Hypothetically, I will say if I had to choose between MDA and Karl, I would take Karl.