Gilbert Arenas Thread (p.29 Arenas at All-Star Break?)

Re: Gilbert Arenas Thread (p.29 Arenas at All-Star Break?)

Postby venturalakersfan on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:52 am

Yeah, I talked to Mitch. We had a nice conversation. Can't tell you what it was about. But I have a basketball mind.

Weird, it is almost like he is defending himself against something Mitch said or might say.
"Just to be safe, 5% of Americans bring their passports when traveling to New Mexico."
- David Letterman
venturalakersfan

Postby kray28 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:55 am

DirtySoap wrote: I'd say tweak a few things, give this team a chance to compete in the lockout shortened season, and if it still ends up not being enough, revisit the blockbuster trades in the summer.

Agreed on this point.
kray28

Postby Center Court on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:09 pm

I've been saying, this core can win a ring if we can add a quality PG and a legit 6th man.

Sign Arenas

split Odom TPE and first for Jack

Send Morris to the dleauge, recall Ebanks

Bynum/Murphy
Pau/McRoberts/Walton
Artest/Barnes/Ebanks
Kobe/Arenas/gl0ck
Jack/Blake/Fish
Center Court

Postby brickshooter on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:16 pm

Center Court wrote:I've been saying, this core can win a ring if we can add a quality PG and a legit 6th man.

Sign Arenas

Bynum/Murphy
Pau/McRoberts/Walton
Artest/Barnes/Ebanks
Kobe/Arenas/gl0ck
Jack/Blake/Fish

Either Arenas or Jack. Bringing in both would cause a log jam with 5 PG (Morris, Fish, Blake, Arenas, Jack).
brickshooter

Postby lakerfansd on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:18 pm

My whole thing is, I don't want to play for anybody until I'm finished rehabbing and finished doing what I need to do, so that's not going to happen until at least All-Star break

Interesting. Maybe that's why Lakers haven't signed him yet, he's not ready to play until after the break.
lakerfansd

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:22 pm

Center Court wrote:I've been saying, this core can win a ring if we can add a quality PG and a legit 6th man.

Sign Arenas

Bynum/Murphy
Pau/McRoberts/Walton
Artest/Barnes/Ebanks
Kobe/Arenas/gl0ck
Jack/Blake/Fish

Lakers have only one roster spot open, can't have both.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:24 pm

brickshooter wrote:

Sign Arenas

Bynum/Murphy
Pau/McRoberts/Walton
Artest/Barnes/Ebanks
Kobe/Arenas/gl0ck
Jack/Blake/Fish

Either Arenas or Jack. Bringing in both would cause a log jam with 5 PG (Morris, Fish, Blake, Arenas, Jack).

Jack is a starting floor general. Arenas is a sg scoring 6th man. see the difference?

if the number of players is too many then send Morris to NO with the pick and cash.
Center Court

Postby basketboy on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:29 pm

venturalakersfan wrote:Yeah, I talked to Mitch. We had a nice conversation. Can't tell you what it was about. But I have a basketball mind.

Weird, it is almost like he is defending himself against something Mitch said or might say.

i think if you look at everything he said in answer to that question, it makes more sense that he would be defending himself against the haters, not mitch.

Arenas: Yeah, I talked to Mitch. We had a nice conversation. Can't tell you what it was about. But I have a basketball mind. I'm not some complete idiot. I do idiot things, but I'm not a complete idiot.
all i know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything.
basketboy

Postby dagreatkobe on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:06 pm

Gilbert Arenas' Explosiveness (from my topic @ LG)

"You dont even know me and u mad, how it feel to be a hater?"
"Now I know exactly how it feels to be a Laker" -Jay Z
dagreatkobe

Postby Kit on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:32 pm

nice.
Kit

Postby karacha on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:40 pm

Yeah, he's slightly more explosive then Fisher. :man10:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby BadCoaching on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:09 pm

Wow he looks good at least for a few seconds.. had no idea Gil got back into jumping shape. He looked sloppy, heavier and immobile last time I saw him.
BadCoaching

Postby kobe_luver on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:17 pm

Sounds to me like Mitch told him in confidence our trade plans and that we can't sign him yet and take up our open roster spot til we make other moves after the ASB. Sounds very promising. :man1:

SI.com: Did you talk to Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak?

Arenas: Yeah, I talked to Mitch. We had a nice conversation. Can't tell you what it was about. But I have a basketball mind. I'm not some complete idiot. I do idiot things, but I'm not a complete idiot.
WE ARE 2009 WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!

WE ARE 2010 WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!

WE WILL BE 2013 WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!
kobe_luver

Postby Dyeggoo on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:30 pm

"I do idiot things" <- Hmm, maybe Mitch said "we want you but not your guns"...
Dyeggoo

Postby Kit on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:34 pm

Dyeggoo wrote:"I do idiot things" <- Hmm, maybe Mitch said "we want you but not your guns"...

I fear you have to change your sig in the future. jk :)
Kit

Postby jism on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:10 pm

Dyeggoo wrote:"I do idiot things" <- Hmm, maybe Mitch said "we want you but not your guns"...

Watch out Gil, the ghost of your former gun-mate Jav-Critt may be hidin somewhere right there in the Lakers locker room
the dude abides
jism

Postby DirtySoap on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:51 pm

SI.com: Are we definitely going to see you again, or is there part of you that's just testing the waters?

Arenas: I look at it like this: Everybody has to be on the same page of wanting me. Because it's like everyone wants to say, "Oh, well he's a locker-room cancer." Well, I've been in the NBA for 10 years, and I had one incident in a locker room and now I'm a locker-room cancer? I'd never got in an argument before, never got in a fistfight.

But if someone picks me up, I want them to be happy about it. I don't want them to be like, ''Oh, man, he's going to come in here and do this and that." That never works. If you don't want the person there, you shouldn't bring them in.

My ex-coach Phil Hubbard [former Wizards assistant] and Eric Musselman [Arenas' former coach with the Warriors] called me to come to the D-League [where they coach the Lakers' affiliate]. I said, "Well, after the All-Star break, once I'm ready to go, sure, I'll come play. I'll come out there and break all the D-Leaguer ankles."

It's basketball, man. You've just got to enjoy it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm

I believe in Arenas. Dude can still ball, it just sounds like he was put in an impossible situation in Orlando and the media was still busy making him out to be a villain from the locker room fiasco. In the interview he discusses the handgun situation and talks about how the media blew it out of proportion, it was a dumb move, but if it were as malicious as the media made it seem then his contract would have been voided, no question. Bottom line, if he has anything left (and it sounds like he does), then we could definitely use it. I'd hate to see a rejuvenated Arenas contributing for another team this season when he was there for the taking. We already missed out on Jeremy Lin, starting caliber PG's don't show up on the waiver wire much more often.
DirtySoap

Postby Helljumper on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:02 pm

My ex-coach Phil Hubbard [former Wizards assistant] and Eric Musselman [Arenas' former coach with the Warriors] called me to come to the D-League [where they coach the Lakers' affiliate]. I said, "Well, after the All-Star break, once I'm ready to go, sure, I'll come play. I'll come out there and break all the D-Leaguer ankles."

Sounds to me like he's willing to play for the D-fenders and try out for us. It can't just be a coincidence that the D-fenders want him soon after he tried out for us AND it's already been confirmed that we wanted another veteran guard (AI) to try out in the D-league for us.

This also fits in with the previous reports that he'd be ready for us at some point after the all-star break.
Helljumper

Postby GinoDB on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:57 pm

he pretty much said he will play for us after the all-star break ,dominate D-League for 1 game then NBA :jam2:
GinoDB

Postby 100%effort on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:25 pm

I'm ok with him using the Defenders as a tryout for us. We get to see him against some level of competition instead of basic practice drills and he gets a chance to get into better shape. This makes perfect sense because the shortened schedule and the lack of practice.
100%effort

Postby last stand on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:38 pm

I think arenas gets signed later this week
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby DirtySoap on Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:44 pm

last stand wrote:I think arenas gets signed later this week

Hopefully that happens, we move the trade exception for an upgrade at small forward, and Mitch finally puts all of the Pau rumors to rest. This team can definitely compete with a few tweaks. Still not sure why we would break up our front court when that's what got us to finals three straight years in the first place.
DirtySoap

Postby last stand on Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:54 pm

DirtySoap wrote:

Hopefully that happens, we move the trade exception for an upgrade at small forward, and Mitch finally puts all of the Pau rumors to rest. This team can definitely compete with a few tweaks. Still not sure why we would break up our front court when that's what got us to finals three straight years in the first place.

my ideal "realistic" set of moves would be TPE for Dorell Wright, sign gilbert arenas, and trade mcroberts for oj mayo. if we pulled off those 3 moves i'd put us in contention with anyone
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby ESPN on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:05 pm

Much larger trade on the horizon. The trade also impacts Arenas.
ESPN

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:09 pm

last stand wrote:
DirtySoap wrote:

my ideal "realistic" set of moves would be TPE for Dorell Wright, sign gilbert arenas, and trade mcroberts for oj mayo. if we pulled off those 3 moves i'd put us in contention with anyone

You think we can get Wright for the TPE? I guess Golden State isn't very high on him. That would be a great team if we did manage to pull at that off.

Blake/Arenas
Kobe/Mayo
Wright/Barnes
Gasol/Murphy
Bynum

:man4:
Texas Lakers Fan

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion