Gilbert Arenas Thread (p.29 Arenas at All-Star Break?)

Re: Lakers interested in Gilbert Arenas? (Pg 3)

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:44 am

he worked out all offseason and lost 20 lbs.. but who will we cut to sign him?
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:46 am

I'm sticking with my gut here and saying a trade is coming (No clue for who) and he will be signed to fill out the roster back to 15.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby SK8 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:58 am

Morris, Glock, Caracter, Luke, Ebanks, one of these guys. I like Arenas.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:02 am

Starter...time to bench Fish. He'll be at home with the offense quickly since no one on this team still actually knows what plays they're doing... :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby The Original 81 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:36 am

I don't see why we shouldn't at least give him a look. And for the vet minimum he'd come cheap.

And lets face it, we're pretty desperate at that position at this point.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby trodgers on Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:41 am

While I don't mind seeing what he has, the fact that silversurfer will ejaculate verbally about how he called the signing and is a mastermind makes me want Arenas to fail. No, not really.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby escobar8 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:07 am

i am fine with him for the min...but i would rather sign or trade for some other pg...
even if we sign him...i hope that our FO will still look how to improve our backcourt...
escobar8

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:14 am

Well if we're interested and there is interest back and all we have to offer is the min (McRoberts signing took our only other exemption) then why is this stalled at the moment....

I'm with Doc in thinking that this could be tied into a possible deal, as the Lakers normally roll into the season with 14 just in case a situation like this comes up....so I'm thinking, instead of a cut, we're trying to get a deal done...but if it falls apart like in December, we go the conventional, but unorthodox route for the Lakers and waive someone...we might hold onto guys like Caracter in case Gasol and/or Bynum are outbound in a potential Dwight deal (Dwight extending list to Celtics and Orlando losing in 2 nights the way they have is setting up Orlando playing chicken with Mitch and vice versa....who backs down first?)
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Sirron on Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:59 am

Probably a small two for one trade in the works to free up a spot. I'm sure Mitch has done his due diligence, and any former All Star is worth a look. The man sold tickets in Washington, so LA may be a good fit. If Mitch can lock him up for several years at the vet minimum, I'd still consider it low risk.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby SK8 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:32 am

stevekylerNBA Steve Kyler
Sources close to the situation say the LA Lakers have reached out to Gilbert Arenas, he is giving strong consideration to signing
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby JGC on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:39 am

The only problem I have with Arenas is that he really is a shoot-first point guard. He would still be the best play maker we have on the floor, but is he that much better than Kobe? Yes but not by much IMO.

If we're going to go get a guy then I would really almost rather get a Jose Calderon TYPE player who looks to pass first but can hit the open J.
JGC

Postby trodgers on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:42 am

Arenas can score and draw attention. He doesn't have to be better than Kobe. He doesn't have to be as good as Kobe.
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby last stand on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:49 am

trodgers wrote:Arenas can score and draw attention. He doesn't have to be better than Kobe. He doesn't have to be as good as Kobe.

Lol apparently Gilbert is only worth signing if he is 2007 Gilbert. But apparently we could have him for the vet min in that scenario or that he even would be a free agent in that scenario
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby JGC on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:52 am

trodgers wrote:Arenas can score and draw attention. He doesn't have to be better than Kobe. He doesn't have to be as good as Kobe.

And I'm not sure a volume shooting scorer is really what this team needs. We already have one who is better than Arenas.

What I said was that Arenas might be a better playmaker than Kobe but it's not by much. So if I'm going to put the ball in someone else's hands other than Kobe, I would prefer that player to be a substantially better playmaker than Kobe himself. Good AST/TO ratio, and can hit open jumper. That's not Arenas.

Arenas is a poor man's Kobe who can't shoot quite as well IMO. I really don't want two Kobe's on the court, I want one Kobe and one guy who can get shots for Kobe as well as others.
JGC

Postby JGC on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:58 am

last stand wrote:

Lol apparently Gilbert is only worth signing if he is 2007 Gilbert. But apparently we could have him for the vet min in that scenario or that he even would be a free agent in that scenario

I don't even think 2007 Arenas is worth signing for THIS team. Why would I want 58% of my team's field goal attempts to come out of my backcourt when I have two 7-footers who are probably the best frontcourt duo offensively in the NBA? That makes no sense. Watch the 2007 Arenas that wasn't on Sportscenter or on the Staples Center court going off for 60 pts. How well did the Wizards team do with all those shots coming from that far?

In that 2007 year, Arenas shot 41.8% from the floor and dished out 6 assists to just over 3 turnovers. As I said, he's a poor man's Kobe. Takes a lot of shots, passes some here and there, turns it over, but can't shoot like Kobe. Get me someone who can penetrate and dish.
JGC

Postby last stand on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:00 am

You need more than one player to be able to score and create. No team ha ever won the championship with one player having the usage rate Kobe is at right now

We need to take the ball out of Kobes hands and Gilbert is the only available player that Kobe respects enough to allow that

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Kit on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:00 am

What I said was that Arenas might be a better playmaker than Kobe but it's not by much.

The team needs another playmaker. Have you watched them played lately?
Kit

Postby air_bryant08 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:02 am

For the vet minimum? Why not? Low risk, high reward type player. Plus our backcourt needs the help. I'm for the signing, especially if it's only for the vet minimum.
"This game is in the refrigerator. The door's closed, the lights are out, the eggs are coolin', the butter's gettin' hard, and the JELLO'S JIGGLIN'!" -Chick Hearn
air_bryant08

Postby trodgers on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:07 am

JGC wrote:

And I'm not sure a volume shooting scorer is really what this team needs. We already have one who is better than Arenas.

What I said was that Arenas might be a better playmaker than Kobe but it's not by much. So if I'm going to put the ball in someone else's hands other than Kobe, I would prefer that player to be a substantially better playmaker than Kobe himself. Good AST/TO ratio, and can hit open jumper. That's not Arenas.

Arenas is a poor man's Kobe who can't shoot quite as well IMO. I really don't want two Kobe's on the court, I want one Kobe and one guy who can get shots for Kobe as well as others.

It's almost as if you believe Arenas is going to be signed, come in, dominate the ball, and play 40 minutes a night. Again, someone has made the claim that we have something better than Arenas. What does that matter? What if we could find a rebounder not as good as Bynum? A one-on-one defender not as good as Artest? A clutch shooter not as good as Fisher? A player can be not as good as a current top option and still be a huge boon to the team.

Hitting an open jumper is only one thing this team needs. It also needs people to create shots. Arenas could do that even last year. His % assisted FGs is very low. His FG% could obviously be better, but he'd know his role on a team like this.
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby JGC on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:08 am

Kit wrote:
What I said was that Arenas might be a better playmaker than Kobe but it's not by much.

I've watched them play for years. Kobe isn't a playmaker, per se. Chris Paul is a playmaker. Deron Williams is a play maker. Lebron is a play maker. Steve Nash is a play maker. Kobe is a lethal scoring machine. Gilbert Arenas is a volume shooter.

To me, Gilbert Arenas is a poor man's Kobe. We need someone who can consistently and effectively get shots for other guys. If you give Gilbert Arenas the ball, he isn't looking to get the ball to someone. And neither is Kobe. They are looking to get their shot first and foremost. The pass comes when the shot isn't available.

In my opinion, if I'm taking the ball out of Kobe's hands to put it in someone else's then I want someone who is the opposite. Looks to pass first and will take the shot if the pass isn't available.
JGC

Postby lotus on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:16 am

Lakers need all the help they can get to salvage the season. So, whether it's Arenas or Hinrich or both, or someone else, I'm all for it. The roster as it is will not compete for even the Western Conference title.
lotus

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:17 am

I guess we might as well. The offense "system" isn't working either for lack of time to practice/integrate it, poor design, or the wrong personnel.

At this point we could use a guy who can get his own with the second unit and Arenas would fit that billing if he's got anything left in the tank. He's a head case, of course, and we have one of those already with Ron Ron. I'm more worried about Arenas co-existing with Ron Ron than playing alongside Kobe. Two crazy guys might be too much for the locker room.

But as far as his game I think he'd be fine on the Lakers. He'd take the role of Kapono who hasn't really delivered thus far, and Goudelock who has talent but is only a rookie. I think it could work. As talked about, at least he can score, and do so regardless of system or no system. Plug him in and he'll score.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:19 am

trodgers wrote:
JGC wrote:

It's almost as if you believe Arenas is going to be signed, come in, dominate the ball, and play 40 minutes a night. Again, someone has made the claim that we have something better than Arenas. What does that matter? What if we could find a rebounder not as good as Bynum? A one-on-one defender not as good as Artest? A clutch shooter not as good as Fisher? A player can be not as good as a current top option and still be a huge boon to the team.

Hitting an open jumper is only one thing this team needs. It also needs people to create shots. Arenas could do that even last year. His % assisted FGs is very low. His FG% could obviously be better, but he'd know his role on a team like this.

I totally get your analogies. But using defense to make the analogy is unfair. Defense doesn't take the ball out of someone's hands. When we're talking about taking the ball out of Kobe's hands, then I want to be certain that the decisions that player makes, will DEFINITIVELY be better than it would be in Kobe's hands.

So for me the question I ask is.... do I trust whichever point guard it is that we add, to make better decisions with the ball than Kobe? Because every time they touch the ball, is a touch Kobe would have otherwise had.
JGC

Postby last stand on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:20 am

Beggars can't be choosers

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby PiNOYLaKERSFaN on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:22 am

JGC wrote:
Kit wrote:

I've watched them play for years. Kobe isn't a playmaker, per se. Chris Paul is a playmaker. Deron Williams is a play maker. Lebron is a play maker. Steve Nash is a play maker. Kobe is a lethal scoring machine. Gilbert Arenas is a volume shooter.

To me, Gilbert Arenas is a poor man's Kobe. We need someone who can consistently and effectively get shots for other guys. If you give Gilbert Arenas the ball, he isn't looking to get the ball to someone. And neither is Kobe. They are looking to get their shot first and foremost. The pass comes when the shot isn't available.

In my opinion, if I'm taking the ball out of Kobe's hands to put it in someone else's then I want someone who is the opposite. Looks to pass first and will take the shot if the pass isn't available.

They're not signing Gilbert to start, they're signing him to be on the bench meaning he'll play when Kobe's out. Have you seen this team play when Kobe's on the bench? The Lakers have NO ONE besides Kobe that can create his own shot (which opens up the floor)

Do you really want Kobe to play almost 40 minutes per game on a condensed schedule like this season? We all know what this team needs but until we pull of a trade that would net us an all-star PG, this is the next best solution that identifies one of the Lakers' glaring needs.
PiNOYLaKERSFaN

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion