Heat Sign Greg Oden (Pg. 5)

Re: Spurs Front Runners For Greg Oden

Postby nthydro on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:54 am

Frank Dux wrote:^We don't need his baggage. I feel for the guy, but he's mentally week(along with his obvious physical problems), and would be a major distraction.

Not to mention he might send penis pictures to Dwight's gf.
nthydro

Re: Nicolas Batum: Greg Oden Planning To Return To NBA Next Year

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:15 pm

Nicolas Batum: Greg Oden Planning To Return To NBA Next Season

Chris Haynes ‏@ChrisBHaynes

Nicolas Batum says yesterday he had dinner w/former #Blazers Greg Oden. Batum says he looks good & is planning a return to NBA next season.

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status ... 8010639361
Kobe8Fan

Postby XXIV on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:37 am

I really wish his body would hold up as he's shown he can be a really good player in this league. I wonder where he'll sign and how much he'll receive. Maybe we can sign him for the minimum to back up Dwight? :man1:
XXIV

Postby Delicious on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:59 pm

I'd rather we sign Slava Medvedenko
Set up your Wet up
Delicious

Postby S.R.05 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:57 pm

feel sorry for the guy he was hyped to be the next great big and all that before the injuries hit. i can understand why he would want to come back and at least make some money before he goes out

but i dont see any way it works out well for him in the end. he's already probably looking at a pretty painful old age
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Phil XI on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:13 pm

All teams should stay clear of Jamarcus.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby escobar8 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:44 pm

lets start bets...

will he even survive training camp...???
escobar8

Postby purp n gold on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:27 pm

Hope he can return & have a career in the NBA.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Re: Greg Oden Hopes To Return To NBA This Season (Pg. 2)

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:00 am

Greg Oden Hopes To Return To NBA This Season

Ric Bucher ‏@RicBucher

Someone asked in my Comcast/NBC chat yesterday about Greg Oden and whether he'd ever play again. I'm told by Mike

Conley, his college teammate at Ohio State, that Greg is back in Columbus, taking classes and trying to get into playing shape and that he hopes to be available to hit the free-agent market and join a team before the end of this season. If he can't get his body right by then or there isn't sufficient interest, he intends to take another shot at it next fall. The takeaway: Oden hasn't given up on resuming his -- or, perhaps more accurately, having a -- NBA career.

https://twitter.com/RicBucher/status/289294475870756864
Kobe8Fan

Re: Greg Oden Hopes To Return To NBA This Season (Pg. 2)

Postby 432J on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:28 am

lakerswiz wrote:You know how girls with big ol god titties (safe for work) end up having back problems later in life?

Maybe Oden's appendage is why his knees are having such a hard time staying healthy.

:man10:

:man10:
432J

Sources: Heat At The Front Of The Line In Pursuing Greg Oden

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 am

Sources: Heat At The Front Of The Line In Pursuing Greg Oden

By Brian Windhorst and Marc Stein | ESPN.com

Nearly a year removed from his latest knee surgery, former No. 1 overall pick Greg Oden has decided to resume his playing career but is not planning to return to the NBA before the 2013-14 season, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources told ESPN.com that multiple teams have already expressed interest in signing Oden to a multi-year deal before the end of this season that would allow him to continue his rehab until he can get back on the court in training camp next fall.

The Miami Heat are at the front of the line in pursuing Oden, two sources said, and have been keeping tabs as he recovers while also taking classes at Ohio State.

Sources say that the Heat, though, are not alone in their pursuit of the former No. 1 overall pick.

The Heat potentially could have two roster spots available this season, one of which Oden could slide into as he continues to rehab. Team president Pat Riley is known to like gambling on long shots, especially when it comes to big men.

One concern for the Heat, though, is they already are committed to more than $80 million in salaries for next season and very likely will have a final payroll coming close to $90 million in a year when the new, more harsh luxury tax kicks in. Oden would potentially be a costly gamble even on a minimum-level contract. The Heat are also currently about $14 million over the luxury-tax line for this season.

Oden had his third microfracture surgery, this one in his left knee, last February. He has not played since Dec. 5, 2009, and appeared in just 82 games with the Portland Trail Blazers as he's suffered a series of knee injuries.

In attempting another comeback, Oden's camp is planning to take a very conservative approach. So the plan is for him to sit out the rest of this season and summer league to make sure he allows himself the best chance of finally getting healthy.

The Heat, who have been on the lookout for a center for three years, were interested in Oden before the start of last season when he was a restricted free agent. But he ended up taking a one-year, $8.9 million deal with the Blazers. After a setback in his recovery, the contract was reduced to $1.5 million and he later had the microfracture procedure.

Oden averaged 9.4 points and 7.3 rebounds in parts of two seasons in Portland.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/88321 ... er-sources
Kobe8Fan

Agent: Oden May Soon Sign With NBA Team For Rehab Purposes

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:26 am

Agent: Greg Oden May Soon Sign With NBA Team For Rehab Purposes

By Chris Tomasson
January 10, 2013

The agent for center Greg Oden said Thursday he's "100 percent" certain his often-injured client will be back playing in the NBA next season. But he said rumors of Oden ending up with the Miami Heat this season in order to rehab are "extreme."

With Miami playing at Portland on Thursday, there has been speculation the Heat, who can open up a roster spot, could soon sign the 2007 No. 1 draft pick. He then would be under the care of their doctors while preparing to play for next season.

Mike Conley, the agent for Oden, said in a phone interview with FOX Sports Florida it is an option Oden could sign with an NBA team this season for rehab purposes. But he said he has heard nothing from the Heat since Oden was waived by Portland last March.

"Greg Oden will be playing in the NBA next season, I'm 100 percent sure of that," Conley said of his client, who turns 25 on Jan. 22 and hasn't played in an NBA game since December 2009. "But I haven't had any talks with the Heat. I have talked to several teams (that Conley wouldn't name). I would call (rumors Oden could end up in Miami this season) extreme."

Conley had told FOX Sports Florida last July that Oden would not be retiring and would be returning to the NBA. Conley said at the time Oden had interest in the Heat, and he said Thursday that remains the case. Even though he has never heard from the Heat throughout this process, Conley didn’t want to rule them out for the future and said it’s certainly possible he eventually could talk to Miami officials.

"Anybody would like to play for a team that can contend for a title, and it is a team that needs another big man," said Conley, a former track star and the father of Memphis point guard Mike Conley Jr., said about Oden's interest in Miami.

The Heat, who have been outrebounded by 17 or more in three of their past five games, are desperately seeking another big man to help them this season. They got back up to a full roster of 15 on Thursday when they signed center Josh Harrellson, whom they had waived earlier this week, to a 10-day contract. The Heat now have two players on 10-day deals, so it would be easy in the near future to clear a roster spot or two.

While Conley didn't want to speculate on teams for which Oden might play next season, he said Portland definitely is out of the question. After the Trail Blazers selected Oden in the 2007 draft over Kevin Durant, he played only 82 games for them in four full seasons and part of last season.

"I'm not being negative, but Portland as an organization is going a different direction and Greg is going a different direction," Conley said.

Oden has had five surgeries on both his knees since entering the NBA, including two surgeries last February, one being his third microfracture procedure. But Conley said Oden, who is working out on his own in Columbus, Ohio, is now jumping as well as he did before the surgeries last February.

"He's rehabbing and doing very well," Conley said.

Conley said Oden is regularly playing basketball, but didn't want to go into how much. Conley went so far as to say Oden one day will live up to projections and be an NBA All-Star.

"I think when he comes back, maybe five or six or seven months after that, he should return to the type of player where he should have been," Conley said. "It will take some time to get his conditioning back. I think that when he comes back to playing in the NBA, he will have the ability to be an All-Star."

Conley said Oden's mental state is good. He said Oden took classes last fall at Ohio State, where he played as a freshman in 2006-07, but is now not enrolled while concentrating on his rehabbing and basketball.

"Few players have been through what Greg has been through," Conley said. "He's been looked at as somebody who hasn't panned out and been a disappointment. He's been through a lot. But the way he has handled all of this he has inspired me."

Conley said the decision was made for Oden to not try to play this season so he could work his way back on his own pace and without added pressure. But Conley said it could be beneficial if Oden were to sign with an NBA team before the end of this season for rehab purposes.

"We are considering that," Conley said. "We are looking at all of our options."

Asked about the Heat having only a minimum salary to potentially offer Oden, Conley said it's too early to speculate on financial considerations at this point. But Conley has no problem speculating that Oden will be back in the NBA next season.

Chris Tomasson can be reached at christomasson@hotmail.com or on Twitter @christomasson

http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/01/10/1 ... eedID=3565
Kobe8Fan

Re: Agent: Oden May Soon Sign With NBA Team For Rehab Purposes

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:36 am

Conley had told FOX Sports Florida last July that Oden would not be retiring and would be returning to the NBA. Conley said at the time Oden had interest in the Heat, and he said Thursday that remains the case. Even though he has never heard from the Heat throughout this process, Conley didn’t want to rule them out for the future and said it’s certainly possible he eventually could talk to Miami officials.

Miami hasn't even talked to him and they need a big man more than ever.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Source: Mavericks Interested In Greg Oden

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:07 pm

Source: Mavericks Interested In Greg Oden

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

Count the Dallas Mavericks on the list of NBA teams who are keeping an eye on former No. 1 overall pick Greg Oden.

ESPN.com's Marc Stein and Brian Windhorst reported Thursday that Oden, the big man whose career with the Portland Trail Blazers was derailed by serious knee injuries, plans to return to the NBA and play next season.

A source told ESPNDallas.com Friday that the Mavs have been among the teams in contact with Oden's agent, Mike Conley Sr., while the 7-footer rehabs from his third microfracture surgery and takes classes at Ohio State.

Oden still has significant work to do to get healthy enough to make a comeback, but ESPN.com reported that multiple teams have expressed interest in signing him to a multiyear deal this season that would allow him to continue rehabbing under the franchise's supervision until training camp. The Miami Heat are at the front of the list, ESPN.com reported.

However, the Mavs could make a strong case to Oden, although it isn't clear how much of a financial commitment they would be willing to make.

The Mavs have a desperate need for a center who could serve as a defensive anchor next to Dirk Nowitzki. Oden, who averaged 9.4 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in 82 games with the Trail Blazers, was considered one of the best defensive center prospects ever when Portland opted to pick him instead of Kevin Durant in the 2007 draft.

The Mavs also have a medical staff, led by team doctor T.O. Souryal and Team USA athletic trainer Casey Smith, widely considered one of the NBA's best.

If the Mavs make a serious pitch to Oden, they will point out how Tyson Chandler's career took off after his arrival in Dallas.

Chandler was considered a major medical risk when the Mavs acquired him from the Charlotte Bobcats in a salary-dump deal in summer 2010. He had missed a total of 68 games the previous two seasons due to foot and ankle injuries, and he failed a physical that negated a trade that would have sent him from New Orleans to Oklahoma City before he was shipped to Charlotte.

Chandler ended up playing a major role in the Mavs' 2010-11 title season. When Dallas declined to give him a lucrative, long-term offer, he left for the New York Knicks, where he earned Defensive Player of the Year honors last season.

As the Mavs continue to try to replace Chandler, Oden could be an attractive, albeit risky, option at a much more affordable price.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/i ... ource-says
Kobe8Fan

Re: Source: Mavericks Interested In Greg Oden (Pg. 2)

Postby Weezy on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:19 pm

I can see it now, "Mavs sign Oden", one week later, "Mavs waive Oden, set the record for the most waived players in a single season, the NFL record that is".
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Re: Greg Oden Likely To Pick Between Heat and Cavaliers (Pg. 2)

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:26 am

Greg Oden Likely To Pick Between Heat and Cavaliers

By Jeff Goodman | College Basketball Insider

The Cleveland Cavaliers and the Miami Heat have emerged as the leaders to land former No. 1 pick Greg Oden.

The 7-foot Oden, who hasn't played since Dec. 5, 2009 due to multiple knee injuries, is hoping to take a visit down to Miami to meet with Pat Riley and the Heat in the next week, a source told CBSSports.com.

Miami would likely offer a deal for minimum salary while the Cavs could pay up to nearly $4 million. The Boston Celtics are another team that has expressed interest, but the source said that Oden is leaning towards making a comeback with either Cleveland or Miami.

Oden was the top pick in the 2007 NBA Draft, but has had multiple knee surgeries. He's currently working out in both Columbus, Ohio, and Indianapolis -- and expects to be ready for the season-opener next season.

Oden, 25, has averaged 9.4 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in 82 career NBA games. He is coming off his third microfracture knee surgery back in February 2012.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/2162 ... ack-to-nba
Kobe8Fan

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:27 am

Is that really a choice?

I'm likely to pick between boiled spinach and a cheeseburger... hm...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Balance&Options24 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:29 am

So this is kinda like we signed Sam Bowie.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:40 am

therealdeal wrote:Is that really a choice?

Get to go back to Ohio and play with Kyrie or play in Miami for the NBA Champs?
Kobe8Fan

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:50 am

Kobe8Fan wrote:

Would you rather have the potential to win a ring or join a rebuilding team that's has no chance?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:53 am

therealdeal wrote:
Kobe8Fan wrote:

Would you rather have the potential to win a ring or join a rebuilding team that's has no chance?

I would pick the Heat. But maybe the Cavs are telling him "We need a center. We'll let you be a starter if you come home to Ohio."
Kobe8Fan

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:55 am

That'd be a silly thing for them to do. :man10:

I know they're thin up front but just throwing a guy like him out there like that is a great way to injure him again...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:23 pm

damn that's such a tough choice

i wonder which team he'll pick? the defending champs or one of the top 5 worst teams in the NBA
432J

Postby Congo Cash on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:39 am

What a tough choice... Getting paid while you are out of the season (like usual), where do I sign up?
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:18 am

If he goes to the Cavs he can maybe lure LeBron back to Cleveland?
Jazzygirl205

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion