Heat Sign Greg Oden (Pg. 5)

Agent: Greg Oden Interested In Signing With Cavaliers

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:00 pm

Agent: Greg Oden Interested In Signing With Cavaliers

By Jason Lloyd
Beacon Journal sports writer

Former Ohio State star Greg Oden is interested in resurrecting his NBA career with the Cavaliers, his agent confirmed Wednesday night.

“He’s a Buckeye,” Mike Conley Sr. said of Oden. “He lives in Columbus. There’s definitely interest there.”

Conley said there is mutual interest with his client and four NBA teams, “and maybe some others will develop in the next 30 days. Who knows? There’s a few scenarios out there that make sense for him.”

Conley and Oden aren’t under any pressure to get a deal done quickly since he won’t play this season. The Cavs have more money to spend this season than the Miami Heat, another team Conley confirmed Oden is interested in. Oden isn’t expected to sign with another team until after next month’s trade deadline, but Conley left open the possibility they wait until fall.

“Our main focus is on next year or the year after and what cap space looks like during that time, who knows?” Conley said.

Oden has endured three microfracture surgeries on his knees — including two on his left knee. He has not played since Dec. 5, 2009, after the Portland Trail Blazers made him the top overall pick of the 2007 draft.

He played in just 82 games in five seasons with the Blazers, averaging 9.4 points and 7.3 rebounds. They finally released him near the end of last season.

Conley said Oden’s spirits are “the best they’ve been in a long time. I would say since I’ve known him, but I’ve known him since he was 9.”

Oden and Conley’s son, Memphis Grizzlies guard Mike Conley Jr., are childhood friends from just outside Indianapolis. That’s part of the appeal in playing for the Cavs, since it’s close to home. He could step on a basketball court now, but no one will let him. He is jumping as high as he has in his life, Conley said, and he feels good both mentally and physically. Oden has previously admitted to battles with alcohol and depression while fighting through all of his injuries.

Brandon Roy, Oden’s former teammate in Portland, recently attempted a similar comeback after years of knee problems, only to have it derailed early this season with another knee surgery.

Conley said “it’s all or nothing” with Oden this time.

“He’s either going to be able to play or if he gets hurt again and can’t play, he can’t play,” Conley said. “He’s going to make an impact on whatever team he’s on. A big impact. He’s already back in my eyes. As long as he stays healthy, he’ll get better and better. He hasn’t had a chance to improve his game of basketball because of all this. The upside on him is tremendous. He’s a young kid. He just turned 25. He’s in the prime of his life.”

The Cavs won’t comment on the ongoing negotiations.

“I do not talk about players that are not here,” coach Byron Scott said.

http://www.ohio.com/news/top-stories/ag ... bled=false

Looks like Oden wants to play for his hometown instead of signing with the Champs.
Kobe8Fan

Re: Agent: Greg Oden Interested In Signing With Cavs (Pg. 3)

Postby Weezy on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:18 pm

I wish him good health no matter where he signs. He's already Sam Bowie 2.0, so maybe he can finish like Bowie and stay on the court for a few years.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 pm

maybe we should show interest as insurance policy for possible Howard departure. Best case for Oden is to be a backup so he doesn't get overused.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:07 pm

Wow. I thought for sure he'd end up in Miami. I don't care where you live, who picks Cleveland over Miami?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:20 pm

Maybe he doesn't want to let down a franchise looking for championships if he gets injured again. Maybe he'd rather play under not such bright lights, in relative obscurity.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:19 pm

I'm glad he picked Cleveland and I hope he can remain healthy. As a fan of Kyrie Irving I hope they can make some noise in the East next year.
XXIV

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:22 pm

Weezy wrote:Maybe he doesn't want to let down a franchise looking for championships if he gets injured again. Maybe he'd rather play under not such bright lights, in relative obscurity.

Good look at it.

I've never been the guy to want to be a big fish in a small pond. If you can't swim in a pond that's your size or bigger, you're not really accomplishing everything you should be.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:24 pm

He's just going to get cozy and settled down in Cleveland for when Lebron comes back in 2014.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:01 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Weezy wrote:Maybe he doesn't want to let down a franchise looking for championships if he gets injured again. Maybe he'd rather play under not such bright lights, in relative obscurity.

Good look at it.

I've never been the guy to want to be a big fish in a small pond. If you can't swim in a pond that's your size or bigger, you're not really accomplishing everything you should be.

Well yeah, but in this case the guy just needs to stay on the court before anything else, stay on the court before even thinking of championships and legacy, because right now his legacy is injury, Sam Bowie 2.0. He has to crawl before he can walk, almost literally.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:16 pm

True, but what's the difference between crawling in Cleveland and crawling in Miami?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:51 pm

Well like I said, a team looking for a center to complete the only thing missing on their already championship team, expecting to win every season now, or a center on a team happy to make the playoffs. That's a heck of a lot of difference in pressure to me, especially for a guy probably happy to just not break his leg out there. I honestly wouldn't think his goal is championship right now, but more baby steps like staying on the court a full game, a full month, a full season. Or, maybe going to Cleveland is him aiming for a big goal by teaming up with Irving to make his own path rather than wining next to 3 stars.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:27 pm

I don't know man. I just don't see it. If it were me, I'm with Miami all day every day. They need a Center, not a whole lot will be asked of me except effort. Are the expectations high? For the team yes, but for me personally hell no. No one expects me to be great in Miami, just be a body better than the likes of... Dexter Pittman? I don't even know the other guy's name.

That's just me though.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:17 pm

Well yeah, that's you, and that's what I would do too, be the final piece that doesn't have to do much on a championship team. Oden seems kinda different though, never seemed to me that he loved the spotlight, he seems a little more sensitive, and after having season ending injuries every single year he's been in the league, he might be a little more fragile mentally as well.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:30 pm

True enough...

I just can't ever relate that's all.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Celtics Meet With Greg Oden

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:06 pm

Celtics Meet With Greg Oden

By Steve Bulpett / Boston Herald

The Celtics met with free agent center Greg Oden today to discuss his potential signing.

Reached a short time ago, president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said the meeting was mainly an informational process for each side.

"We wanted to talk to Greg to see where he is physically," Ainge said.

The 7-footer was the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2007, but he played just 82 games for Portland after sitting out his rookie year with the first of multiple knee injuries. He last played on December 5th of 2009.

The fact Oden is still drawing strong interest from teams despite his medical history is a testament to his talent. He had five double-doubles -- including a 13-point, 20-rebound night -- in the 21 games he played before being injured in his last year.

"We're just finding out as much as we can and letting Greg know what we have here," said Ainge. "He's not ready to play now, but he's someone who's very interesting."

He added that there is nothing imminent with Oden, who is investigating his options as he tries to get his knees ready for another run at the NBA.

There had been a report that Oden was not interested in the Celtics, but Ainge said, "I haven't heard that. If it was true, then why would he fly in to speak with us?"

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_ ... _greg_oden
Kobe8Fan

Re: Celtics Meet With Greg Oden (Pg. 3)

Postby therealdeal on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:39 pm

Not surprising after losing Sullinger.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Source: Cavs Prepared To Offer Greg Oden Contract (Pg. 3)

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:55 pm

Source: Cavaliers Prepared To Offer Greg Oden Contract

By Jason Lloyd
Beacon Journal sports writer
Published: February 8, 2013 - 11:45 PM

CLEVELAND: The Cavaliers are expected to offer free-agent center Greg Oden a two-year contract with a team option for a third year after the Feb. 21 trade deadline passes, according to a league source, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of negotiations.

The Cavs have about $4 million in cap space, which they are preserving now for potential trades. Teams around the league don’t want to sign Oden until after the trade deadline.

Oden has visited with the Boston Celtics and could meet again with the Cavs in the coming weeks, his agent said Friday.

Oden is living nearby in Columbus. His agent, Mike Conley Sr., said last week Oden has been to see the Cavs a couple of times already, but was evasive when pressed as to what capacity.

“Greg has been up there [to Cleveland] before and he’ll probably be up there again in an official capacity,” Conley said Friday.

The Cavs have been interested in Oden for years, believing their partnership with the world-renowned Cleveland Clinic (which holds naming rights to the team’s practice facility) could be huge for Oden’s career.

Oden has endured three microfracture surgeries on his knees — including two on his left knee. He has not played since Dec. 5, 2009, after the Portland Trail Blazers made him the top overall pick of the 2007 draft.

He played in just 82 games in five seasons with the Blazers, averaging 9.4 points and 7.3 rebounds. They finally released him near the end of last season.

Conley said Oden’s spirits are “the best they’ve been in a long time. I would say since I’ve known him, but I’ve known him since he was 9.”

Conley told the Beacon Journal last week Oden is healthy and anxious to return to the court, but that won’t happen until next season.

“He’s going to make an impact on whatever team he’s on — a big impact,” Conley said. “He’s already back in my eyes. As long as he stays healthy, he’ll get better and better. He hasn’t had a chance to improve his game of basketball because of all this. The upside on him is tremendous. He’s a young kid. He just turned 25. He’s in the prime of his life.”

Oden’s contract would take effect immediately, even though he won’t play this season. The Cavs would have him under contract for next season and hold the team option for 2014-15.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs/cavalie ... bled=false
Kobe8Fan

Greg Oden Leaning Toward Signing With Cavaliers

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:51 pm

Greg Oden Leaning Toward Signing With Cavaliers

By Sam Amico

It has been more than two years since Greg Oden last played in the NBA, but he never retired.

And when the former No. 1 pick makes himself available, people stand up and take notice -- scrambled eggs for knees or not.

Especially when that player is Oden, a 7-footer who once dominated the college game in his lone season at Ohio State.

Oden showed some serious flashes in the NBA, too. Portland selected him with the top draft pick in 2007, and in the rare moments of good health, he made an instant impact defensively. Also, in his final game with the Trail Blazers (Dec. 1, 2009), Oden snared 20 rebounds.

But, as you probably know, Oden has undergone three microfracture knee surgeries. He played in just a total of 82 games with Portland -- or the equivalent of one season.

He’s now back at Ohio State, taking classes and vowing to return to the NBA. His agent, Mike Conley Sr., has promised that Oden is now 100 percent. Conley has even predicted Oden will become an All-Star.

That would be quite a comeback, and while some teams may feel differently after having worked out Oden, several are ready to take at least take a flyer on him, as reported by FOX Sports Ohio in early January.

Both Cleveland and Charlotte are said to be prepared to make Oden an offer following the Feb. 21 trading deadline. Boston also remains interested, although it’s believed Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge won’t get into any sort of bidding war.

The Cavaliers, however, are under the cap and can afford to take a low-risk-high-reward chance on a player like Oden. Their proposal reportedly will be for two years (the rest of this season and next), with a team option for a third.

No word on what the Bobcats might be thinking.

Defending-champion Miami was another team that supposedly had a passing interest in Oden, but that’s all it was. The Heat just signed center Chris Andersen for the rest of the season, effectively removing themselves from the Oden conversation.

Oden’s camp is looking to sign this year, but for rehab purposes only. If all goes according to plan, he’ll be ready for training camp to open the 2013-14 season.

Teams such as the Cavs and Bobcats would only make an offer after the trading deadline because adding a player prior to it might hinder their opportunities to make other potential moves.

Sources said over the weekend Oden has been leaning toward the Cavs all along. If true, it would make good sense. They’re the only NBA team located in the state where he played his college ball, and he has a large and supportive following in Cleveland because of it.

Oden also likes the notion of playing on the same team as Kyrie Irving -- and considers the Cavs’ reigning Rookie of the Year the type of dynamic young point guard that could help jumpstart Oden’s rebirth, sources said.

On top of all that, the Cavs are located in the same city as the Cleveland Clinic, famed for its rehabilitation of injuries and ongoing treatment. Oden, clearly, still needs plenty of both.

Sources indicated Oden is likely to try to find the best situation in a variety of areas. That includes not just money, but opportunity.

Twitter: @SamAmicoFSO

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/02/13/13/O ... eedID=8888
Kobe8Fan

Re: Greg Oden Leaning Toward Signing With Cavaliers (Pg. 3)

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:05 am

He better not lean too hard, he might blow a knee out.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Re: Oden Likely To Wait For Offseason To Sign With Team (Pg. 3)

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:43 pm

Greg Oden Likely To Wait For Offseason To Sign With Team

Greg Oden is now likely to wait until the offseason to sign with an NBA team, his agent Mike Conley said.

Oden had been in talks with the Cleveland Cavaliers and Miami Heat.

Oden is rehabbing from several injuries and hasn't played since 2009.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nba-p ... 38648.html
Kobe8Fan

Re: Oden Likely To Wait For Offseason To Sign With Team (Pg. 3)

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:34 am

Hoping for a longer term contract maybe? I'm not sure why he wouldn't just take whoever offered him a contract unless he was unsure of himself physically. Now would be the perfect time to showcase that he's still got some talent in those glass knees.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Greg Oden To Decide On Next Team In July

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:30 pm

Greg Oden To Decide On Next Team In July

Shaun Powell ‏@Powell2daPeople

Agent Mike Conley says Greg Oden will not decide on his next team until July. Cavs, Heat and Celtics in running.

https://twitter.com/Powell2daPeople/sta ... 6684663808
Kobe8Fan

Greg Oden Attends Cavaliers Game, Likes Organization

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:32 pm

Greg Oden Attends Cavaliers Game, Likes Organization

By Jodie Valade, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Officially, it wasn't a recruiting trip. Greg Oden wasn't at The Q to meet with the Cavaliers and discuss the possibility of signing with Cleveland.

The former Ohio State player was a guest of his longtime friend, Memphis guard Mike Conley Jr.

Once in the arena, however, the Cavaliers generously moved Oden to the courtside seat next to the team bench, his long legs stretching out onto the court.

Oden is a free agent, and the Cavaliers remain high on his list of possibilities. Oden is not expected to sign with a team until the summer, though he said he's leaving the timetable up to his agent, Mike Conley Sr.

"I do think it's a possibility," Oden said. "I definitely like this organization, I definitely like the direction they're headed."

In the meantime, Oden continues to rehab his knee injury. He said "it's getting better," but after three microfracture surgeries, he still makes frequent doctor visits. The former No. 1 draft pick has not played in a game since 2009.

Oden chatted with Cavaliers players throughout the game and at breaks, and even ventured into a Cavaliers suite at halftime.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf ... and_c.html
Kobe8Fan

Re: Greg Oden Attends Cavaliers Game, Likes Organization (Pg. 3)

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:48 am

I really think any team that gives him a lot of money is going to regret it immediately. And I honestly don't want to see him go down with another injury. It's hard to watch. Like Yao and his feet.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby BadCoaching on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:42 pm

Doc Brown wrote:He's just going to get cozy and settled down in Cleveland for when Lebron comes back in 2014.

Why would Lebron return? They're going to win another ring this year.. I don't hardly think he'll leave, they'll pay him in Miami.
BadCoaching

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion