HGH testing next season?

HGH testing next season?

Postby Balance&Options24 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:16 pm

.LeBron James - F - Heat
David Stern said Wednesday he expects the NBA will add blood testing for human growth hormone in time for the 2013-14 season.
Stern is simply following suit after Major League Baseball instituted in-season testing for HGH this year. Stern said the league was waiting to begin testing for HGH because "there hasn’t been a favored testing protocol yet." The commissioner also said he doesn't believe the NBA has a serious problem with HGH.
Source: SI.com Feb 6 - 3:44 PM
David Stern expects NBA to add blood testing for HGH by 2013-14

Ben Golliver, David Stern, NBA | Comments

David Stern says blood testing for HGH is coming to the NBA. (Greg Nelson/SI)

By Ben Golliver

Commissioner David Stern said Wednesday that he expects the NBA will follow Major League Baseball’s lead by adopting blood testing for Human Growth Hormone (HGH).

“We watch what’s going on in baseball, we watch the negotiations that are going in with football, and it is my expectation that by next season [we] will be doing blood testing for HGH,” Stern told WCCO radio in Minnesota. “Our players have been terrific. they lead this in some ways, saying, ‘ We do not want to have anything less than the best.’ That’s been the way it’s been since 1983.”

The NBA has been exploring the issue for some time. In Dec. 2011, after the conclusion of the lockout, NBA.com reported that HGH testing would be phased in once a reliable testing procedure could be determined.

Stern said Wednesday that testing hadn’t been implemented to this point because “there hasn’t been a favored testing protocol yet” and stated that he didn’t believe the NBA has a serious problem with HGH, which is on the league’s list of banned substances.

“If I say I don’t have a concern, everyone says I’m a Pollyanna,” Stern said. “I don’t have any reason to know one way or another. My guess is and my hope is that it’s not widely used in the NBA.”

MLB commissioner Bud Selig announced in January that his league would begin in-season testing for HGH.

“This is a proud and a great day for baseball,” Selig said. “We’ll continue to be a leader in this field and do what we have to do.”

Last week, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said that heexpects HGH testing to be implemented before next season.

“I believe that HGH testing is going to happen prior to the 2013 NFL season,” Goodell said, the Denver Post reported. ” It’s the right thing to do for the players, for their health and well-being long-term. It’s the right thing to do for the integrity of the game. It’s also the right thing to do to send the right message to everybody else in sports. You don’t have to play the game by taking performance-enhancing drugs. The science is there.”

ESPN.com reported in January that Maryland congressman Elijah Cummings has urged the NBA to begin implementing HGH tests “right away” because testing is now considered reliable.

Stern also joked Wednesday that he personally does not use performance-enhancing drugs.

“I don’t take them,” he said. “I just want you to know, if you want to come here and test me, I’m ready. … You won’t find anything.”
. Oh oh Lebron and wade.
Last edited by Balance&Options24 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Re: HGH testing next season?

Postby kenzo on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:21 pm

Well... that's not gonna happen. And if it does, it will be just for show, no one will get caught.
kenzo

Postby Juronimo on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:33 pm

If Stern seriously thinks players aren't using performance enhancing drugs, he's delusional.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:36 pm

Juronimo wrote:If Stern seriously thinks players aren't using performance enhancing drugs, he's delusional.

Exactly.

I don't know if "rampant" would describe drug use in the NBA like it would in the NFL, but there's OBVIOUSLY some usage.

Show me again the transformation of Wade's cheek bones, Howard's shoulders, and LeBron's muscular structure. All of these guys were already supreme athletes and could they be physical freaks? Sure. But odds are against them if I'm being 100% honest with myself.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:43 pm

Somebody needs to check Corey Brewer for reverse HGH.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:51 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Juronimo wrote:If Stern seriously thinks players aren't using performance enhancing drugs, he's delusional.

Exactly.

I don't know if "rampant" would describe drug use in the NBA like it would in the NFL, but there's OBVIOUSLY some usage.

Show me again the transformation of Wade's cheek bones, Howard's shoulders, and LeBron's muscular structure. All of these guys were already supreme athletes and could they be physical freaks? Sure. But odds are against them if I'm being 100% honest with myself.

I'm unsure about Howard but I'd wager a pretty firm bet re: Lebronze and Wade.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:03 pm

Judging by Howard's intense deltoid growth, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he took some sort of PEDs. He was a pretty skinny kid when he was drafted, but then again he was 18 I think. I'd include him in my investigations though, that's for sure.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby laker911 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:09 pm

laker911

Postby 432J on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:33 pm

therealdeal wrote:Judging by Howard's intense deltoid growth, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he took some sort of PEDs. He was a pretty skinny kid when he was drafted, but then again he was 18 I think. I'd include him in my investigations though, that's for sure.

there's no way. guys build muscle as they proceed through the league

wade is the one guy i would suspect since his face has grown abnormally larger since '03. but look at pictures of howard, lebron, and carmelo when they were drafted til now. they've all put on a good amount of muscle and become noticeably bigger.
432J

Postby Nikez on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:38 pm

I guess lebron is gonna have to retire early.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:42 pm

432J wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Judging by Howard's intense deltoid growth, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he took some sort of PEDs. He was a pretty skinny kid when he was drafted, but then again he was 18 I think. I'd include him in my investigations though, that's for sure.

there's no way. guys build muscle as they proceed through the league

wade is the one guy i would suspect since his face has grown abnormally larger since '03. but look at pictures of howard, lebron, and carmelo when they were drafted til now. they've all put on a good amount of muscle and become noticeably bigger.

No way? You really think there's NO WAY they could be taking PEDs?

And isn't that the point? They've put on a CONSIDERABLE amount of muscle... I'm not saying that they're all taking or that it's an epidemic, but to think that SOME people are taking it should be a given.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:50 pm

I'd throw Blake Griffin in this conversation as well.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby D.B. Cooper on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:29 pm

Doc Brown wrote:I'd throw Blake Griffin in this conversation as well.

He's got the acne.
D.B. Cooper

Postby Congo Cash on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:31 pm

Another "policy" that won't amount to anything...

Hundreds of games and only 2(?) offenders caught, and that's with the so-called anti-flopping rule, this will be the same...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby ramsay13 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:50 pm

All those injuries and kobe can still play? get the heck out.

About time!
ramsay13

Postby keyindabox on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:52 pm

ramsay13 wrote:All those injuries and kobe can still play? get the heck out.

About time!

Is all you do troll on Kobe?

Anyway, I definitely think there is SOME use, but I wouldn't start naming guys off the bat like that. I mean granted, guys like Dwight and LBJ are physical MONSTERS, but I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't using to be honest...
"Like I say to people all the time, I don’t care what Brooklyn do, I don’t care if they have a better record than we do this year, we still got “New York” on our chest. We’re still New York’s team, regardless of what Brooklyn do." - Ray Felton
BLACK MAMBA
keyindabox
Clublakers Rep: Knicks

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:35 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if LeBron and Dwight weren't using, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were either. All I'm saying is there's a reasonable chance of that happening. And given their physical abilities, I don't see how anyone could simply excuse the idea as being impossible.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:01 pm

The Rashard Lewis thing was probably a glimpse of the tip of the iceberg.

Using roids and hormone therapy are probably the reason for the longevity of our current crop of top athletes. Look at the top baseball players, and look at Lance Armstrong. Thank god MJ's retired.

If you're way ahead of the competition, then something's up.

If it's too good to be true, then it probably is.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Forward Three on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:30 pm

Last edited by Forward Three on Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forward Three

Postby Forward Three on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:49 pm

I also would suspect Blake Griffin strongly mostly on the basis that he is a douchebag college athlete and I've just seen it so many times where douchebag college athletes start taking [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] to get ahead. That he has brothers who are also douchebag college athletes just makes it that much stronger.

Of course, Derek Fisher also comes to mind as someone who was quite a bit bigger than his position as well as remarkably durable and with something of a serious jawline to boot. Which is the other thing about this whole mess is that sometimes you do just get athletes who are 'naturally' that 'gifted' in a way, who have extremely high testosterone levels naturally or who produced more HGH than most at a younger age or whatever.
Forward Three

Postby PurpleNGold1 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:31 pm

RUSSELL WESTBROOK ROID RAGE KOBE FOR THE FACT ALL THOSE INJURYS YET HES RECOVERED I WOULDN TDOUBT IT I HATE TO SAY IT BRON FOR HIS SIZE WADE APPARENTLY FOR HIS JAW N HEAD ahh caps :bang:
PurpleNGold1

Postby retro_nights on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:13 pm

wouldn't be surprised if Kobe used any during recovery, much like Ray Lewis or Arod.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:27 pm

Boy that would be a PR nightmare if LBJ, Wade or Griffin came up positive?
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby lakefansac on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:34 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:Boy that would be a PR nightmare if LBJ, Wade or Griffin came up positive?

The NBA is just pretending they want to do something while in fact they will do very little and only catch low profile players to make it look like they care about PED usage. The NBA will still ptrotect its product just like MLB does with PEDs. The NBA did the same thing about recreational drug usage because they dont want most of their players to test positive for marijuana or cocaine which would be bad for business.
lakefansac

Next

Return to NBA Discussion